Archive for Sunday, June 8, 2008

Neighbors discuss shooting that left two dead

June 8, 2008

Some neighbors say the site of an early morning shooting Saturday that left two men dead was a busy house where people were often seen coming and going.

"People would knock on the door and be there five minutes and then leave," said Louise Nora, a resident who lives on the street. She said that neighbors suspected drug dealing but didn't know that for sure.

Two men who died from apparent gunshot wounds were found at a home in the 1300 block of Delaware Street on Saturday morning. Reports of gunshots first came in to dispatchers about 2:45 a.m. Saturday. Police have said they found the two dead men about 3:20 a.m. One was on the back porch of the home and the other was inside the residence. An alley runs behind the residence.

One of the men was 18, police have said, but the age of the second man has not been released. Police have said they will release additional information Monday morning.

Venus Poke, who lives near the shooting scene, said she also observed that the house frequently had a lot of activity.

"I wasn't paying much attention to it, but I could see it coming and going, coming and going," she said. "There was a lot of people over here."

Poke said there were two young men who stayed at the house, whom she never met, and a woman who also spent time there. She said she didn't get the sense that the men were in school.

The Delaware Street incident wasn't the only one Saturday morning involving gunshots.

According to police dispatchers, a report of a disturbance involving weapons at the Kwik Shop at 1846 Mass. came in at 1:10 a.m. Saturday. Authorities were told that people were fighting and shooting weapons in the parking lot behind the store.

Later Saturday, police received reports of bullet hole damage to nearby residences, according to dispatchers.

John Angermeier, a resident of the 1800 block of New Hampshire Street, said he was brushing his teeth early Saturday morning when he heard what sounded like a knock on his door. He discovered later Saturday that there were bullet holes in his house.

"I called the police and they came and checked it out and said it was connected," he said. "Apparently the shells match or something like that."

Police had not returned a call for information about the incident Sunday afternoon and have not stated publicly that the incident was connected.

The bullet that hit Angermeier's residence came through a porch railing, moving through two posts, and struck the front of his house. Another bullet hit a house to the north of his. Angermeier said a third house also was hit.

Comments

yoornotmee 5 years, 10 months ago

This article seems kinda pointless. So they talked to a neighbor who had never spoken with Levi and Roland and who just made speculations. Is that actual news or just pointless gossip? Then the article ventures off to talk about the Kwik Shop. If you're going to ramble, at least title your article appropriately. How about "Multiple gun-related disturbances Saturday night"? The title implies that the article is focused on the Delaware shooting when it's just about shootings on Saturday night.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 10 months ago

"Dang! She could be describing me. I don't carry a backpack. And I'm mainly at the house all the time-unless I'm somewhere else!" _Pywacket+++lmAO!!

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

Hey, LjWorld, let's give random people the chance to think about what juiciest tidbits would give them a word in the paper and a chance to feel important as a close-source distributor of gossip! It's all about speculation, baby! Unbelievable.

Das_Ubermime 5 years, 10 months ago

Of the three people mentioned in the article, you were the only one stuck to what happened and what the police told them. If the other two people had behaved as you, angermeier, then I would not have written what I did. I'm sorry if you felt I was lumping you in the the others as I had no intention of doing so.

Jake Angermeier 5 years, 10 months ago

Unsupported gossip? Wanna come over and see the bullet holes on my house, or the bullet I pulled out ( which was on ksn news, at that)? I was told by a man in a uniform that the shells matched, I've talked to more cops and reporters in the last day than I have my whole life, I heard the shots, and talked to the people at the Kwik shop. I guess you could call that gossip, if you live in west Lawrence Das_ubermime.......

jayhawkerz 5 years, 10 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad (Anonymous) says: I'm sure I'm going to regret this:If you watch people "coming and going" after only staying a few minutes and decide to not think anything of it, you have asked to live near a drug house, and deserve it.Come on, folks. Just call the cops. You won't get "whacked" or anything.----I'm sure I'm NOT going to regret this...Are you serious? If you see comings and goings, and you do not call the police, you choose to live near a drug house and deserve it? How completely ignorant, old enough to be a dad, but not mature enough to be one. Seriously, thats pretty harsh. The neighbors don't deserve this, gosh, I certainly hope I am not your neighbor.

Pywacket 5 years, 10 months ago

Neighbor Venus Poke (????!!!) "I didn't see them carry backpacks," she said. "They mainly stayed at the house all the time, unless they were off somewhere else."Dang! She could be describing me. I don't carry a backpack. And I'm mainly at the house all the time--unless I'm somewhere else! (Now where would you be if you weren't at your house OR somewhere else?) I wonder what my neighbors think of my suspicious comings & goings, sans backpack.And I'm sorry... but somebody's gotta say it: Who the hell names their child "Venus Poke"? Or Venus AnythingThatCouldLaterChangeToSomethingLikePoke? It sounds like the name for a long-lost cousin of Foxxy Love (from Drawn Together). Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go report an atrocity. You can read about it later at this site: http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html

Das_Ubermime 5 years, 10 months ago

With the police releasing information tomorrow morning, the LJWorld decides that this bit of unsupported gossip is news worthy? For shame Journal-World. Have the patience to wait less than 16 hours for the results of the official investigation.

Citizen_street_patrol 5 years, 10 months ago

The problem is not the people who lived in the house or what they were doing. The problem is the little piece of sh*t who had the gun, and his scum parents of course.......

DRsmith 5 years, 10 months ago

Stunning...who thought Lawrence natives actually committed serious crimes like this.

Citizen_street_patrol 5 years, 10 months ago

I'll post this since the Lawrence PUKE World refuses to do so......

Citizen_street_patrol 5 years, 10 months ago

Teen held in Lawrence homicidesSaturday shootings claim lives of 18- and 20-year-old menBy Phil AndersonThe Capital-JournalPublished Sunday, June 8, 2008 at 7:13 p.m. CDTLawrence police annnounced this evening they have arrested a 16-year-old boy in connection with the shooting deaths of two men early Saturday in the 1300 block of Delaware Street.Print E-mail CommentSgt. Dan Ward, of the Lawrence Police Department, said the arrested boy, of Lawrence, was taken on Sunday to the Douglas County Juvenile Detention Center, where he was booked in connection with felony murder, conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery and attempted aggravated robbery.Lawrence police were called to a residence after receiving reports of shootings about 2:45 a.m. Saturday on the city's east side. Two men, one 18 and one 20, were found dead from gunshot injuries at 1311 Delaware St.Information developed during an investigation into the shootings led officers to the juvenile who was interviewed on Sunday, then arrested.Ward said additional information will be released in a 9 a.m. briefing on Monday.The investigation into the homicides continues, Ward said.Anyone with information is asked to call the Lawrence Police Department at (785) 843-TIPS.Phil Anderson can be reachedat (785) 295-1195or phil.anderson@cjonline.com.

littlegrace 5 years, 10 months ago

The boys did go to school. The older one was in college and the younger just graduated from LHS.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 10 months ago

It isn't difficult at all if you are on a computer. Try putting in CJ Online and see what you get. LMAO

workinghard 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm sorry, but what is CJonline?

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 10 months ago

To those who just KNEW the perpetrator was NOT from Lawrence you can eat alot of crow. A WHOLE lot.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure I'm going to regret this...If you watch people "coming and going" after only staying a few minutes and decide to not think anything of it, you have asked to live near a drug house, and deserve it.Come on, folks. Just call the cops. You won't get "whacked" or anything.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

LJWorld,thanks for putting this additional article up.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 10 months ago

To be honest, I have found any house with a couple of teenagers have people in and out all night/day.And shooting behind the Kwik Shop? Nothing like a kid showing off, I guess. Small change they are related. BUT, if your dumb enough to shoot around Kwik Shop, and really dumb and shoot two people, I have the feeling you are too stupid to get away with it.

TtownKUlivin 5 years, 10 months ago

CJOnline has reported that Lawrence arrested a 16 year old teenage for the deaths of the two men. The site also says that the two men killed were age 18 and 20. Oh by the way, the shooter, is a native of Lawrence.