Archive for Tuesday, June 3, 2008

President Bush welcomes Jayhawks to the White House

Kansas' 2008 NCAA national championship team is greeted at the White House by President Bush.

June 3, 2008, 10:46 a.m. Updated June 3, 2008, 11:39 a.m.

Bill Self at the White House

KU men's basketball head coach Bill Self and the Jayhawks talk about the championship team's trip to Washington, D.C. and the visit to the White House. Enlarge video

Bush addresses the Jayhawks

President Bush honors the Jayhawks during the KU men's basketball team's visit to the White House on Tuesday.

— President Bush welcomed the national champion Kansas University men's basketball team to the White House in a brief ceremony Tuesday at the Rose Garden.

Speaking to a large group that included KU Chancellor Robert Hemenway, senators Sam Brownback and Pat Roberts, congressmen Jerry Moran and Dennis Moore and former senator Bob Dole, Bush gave nod to several KU traditions, such as Waving the Wheat and the Rock Chalk chant.

"I know you've got to be excited about winning an incredibly tough tournament," he said. "Your fans are excited, and I'm excited to welcome you to the Rose Garden. It's a big deal as far as I'm concerned to welcome you to the Rose Garden."

The president offered a brief recap of the season, including an early victory over Yale, Bush's alma mater.

"I don't know how you did it, but you pulled it off," he joked. "It was a great victory."

He lauded coach Bill Self, calling him "one of the finest coaches in the land."

And he called attention to the Jayhawks' penchant for sharing the wealth.

"More than one player, Americans will remember the way you played as a team," he said.

Comments

overthemoon 7 years, 3 months ago

The last photo in the Gallery is Hysterical!!!!!

road_Runner 7 years, 3 months ago

That's pretty darn cool....the team being at the Whitehouse, that is.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

There really is a downside to winning the national championship.

morganlefay 7 years, 3 months ago

Normally this would have been an awesome occasion, but just the sight of George W Bush makes me cringe. Then, he has talk...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"You can't read one single damn article on this website, no matter what the topic, without people attacking the government and bringing up politics."Ummm, the topic is Bush, who has politicized everything.

DaREEKKU 7 years, 3 months ago

"Bush is just such a great all around man. Loves his country, loves all fellow citizens and loves God and is so comfortable with himself and is genuinely happy for others' successes."Yes, he sure does love other people.....unless they are black, gay, disabled or any other minority. What disillusioned 1950's propaganda bus did YOU fall off of? He'll need all the photo ops he can get because he'll be UNEMPLOYED in a few months....WOO HOOO!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"Bush is just such a great all around man. Loves his country, loves all fellow citizens and loves God and is so comfortable with himself and is genuinely happy for others' successes."And to think, without all that cocaine, booze and daddy's connections, he may never have been president.

KU_Dude 7 years, 3 months ago

He can now do whatever he wants to with the ball. It's his now. They gave it to him.

1029 7 years, 3 months ago

navyjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Maybe they made him wear a U.S. flag lapel pin under his jacket...nothing says "patriot" like a lapel pin....

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

morganlefay (Anonymous) says:"Normally this would have been an awesome occasion, but just the sight of George W Bush makes me cringe. Then, he has talk:"Sure, he has talk. But does he have game?

nobody1793 7 years, 3 months ago

My question is did Sasha get past the secret service? A russian with a computer science degree in the white house? He's got to be a spy, and this whole basketball thing was just a cover story!

Rickyonealku 7 years, 3 months ago

That was very very cool Mr. President....KU 2008 NCAA Champs look GREAT.

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 3 months ago

In all fairness, it appears that he bounced the ball on the brown leather part rather than the white signature section. Besides, does anyone really think that he's going to put it in a display case and showcase it on his mantle? Not a chance. He gets dozens of trinkets and gifts from visitors every day and, unless he's a pack-rat, I doubt he keeps all of them. This basketball will get warehoused somewhere. It was nice of him to invite the team. Even if some of them disagree with his politics, it's a great opportunity to see the White House and the Rose Garden up close.

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

Im just glad to hear the jayhawks are doing good this year. When is thier next game? I think I will start watching them this season and see how it turns out. If we won one championship maybe this is our year and we can do some good.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"This is the last I'm going to comment on this because this is a bit of a stupid discussion to be having on a sports website."rcaltrider-- The World Company runs the "sports-related" threads on both the jayhawk sports site and on the JW newspaper site. So from the LJW site, this is listed alongside a variety of other genres, not just sports.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"It's about an evil man and his evil cronies, all of whom should be spending countless years in jail, masquerading as our "leader.""Yep, this is a Hannibal Lecter who has figured out how to have someone else commit his gruesome crimes for him.Would the team pose with Hannibal Lecter (or maybe Jeffrey Dahmer or the BTK killer, if you want to go with someone non-fiction) if he were somehow elected president?

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

No, I think that the royals are working on that bill, they are yet to hit a home run with it

cato_the_elder 7 years, 3 months ago

Bozo, you should read the President's remarks in full. This was a real honor for KU and our basketball team.

alhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Is it me, or does Mario look like he's going to be swallowed by his suit?

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

I couldn't believe it when he bounced the ball that was signed by the entire team!

navyjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

walkdog262,I toured the West Wing w/ a shipmate that was a NSC staffer....I even have a piece of toilet paper from the trip. And I can tell you the bathrooms were NOT special. Imagine my surprise when I found what appeared to be military issue tp in the stall: I figured they used something cashmere-like on their nether regions; instead, there was the same old sandpaper we grind away with on the ship....

staff04 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree Cato, the President's comments were just right, and it was great to see the guys receiving this honor.The only thing--Dubya took an autographed ball and bounced it on the pavement...dummy.

Alison Roberts 7 years, 3 months ago

Oh lord... Im glad someone else thought it was lame that he bounced a signed ball... idiot!And I think that adoration of whiney professional athletes is a problem in this country... but college athletes are a little better :)

Grith_Knethir 7 years, 3 months ago

walkdog262 7 years, 3 months ago

Man I'd love to use a White House bathroom. You know those are some nice toilets.

jayhawker2008 7 years, 3 months ago

Winning the tournament was great, and I'm sure it was an honor to go to the Rose Garden, but did Bush really have to open his mouth?

Boeing 7 years, 3 months ago

My god people. I'm not fan of Bush either, but get a life. You can't read one single damn article on this website, no matter what the topic, without people attacking the government and bringing up politics. There is more to life...maybe not yours, but to normal people. Congrats to the team for this great honor.

nverlost 7 years, 3 months ago

gert891 7 years, 3 months ago

oh i thought they were passing a child support enforcement law with the KU team there

geekin_topekan 7 years, 3 months ago

Somebody get ^ right_thinker ^ a towel before he makes a mess.

unclebiff 7 years, 3 months ago

...if i had a dollar for every idiot that has to point out that meeting "W" is not an honor...sigh....thanks collective captain obvious/idiot!

walkdog262 7 years, 3 months ago

navyjayhawk - this is the same outfit that spends $400 for a hammer, and they use cheap TP? What a joke. I appreciate your advice and will remember that when I'm ever in the D.C. area to just hit up a local hotel lobby and steer clear of the White House and its sandpaper.

Jean1183 7 years, 3 months ago

I can't believe some people are upset that A BALL got bounced. So what if it was signed by the KU team.I like watching the Jayhawks too, but adoration (worship) of athletes is one of the (many) problems in this country.

maxcrabb 7 years, 3 months ago

If you don't like the comments... don't read them.Wow, it seems so simple!

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

It's really not his fault, he's just greatly amused when things bounce. You can distract him for hours, so I hear, with something shiny, too.

VTHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Get a life, complainers. This is merely the POTUS fulfilling his role as Head of State. It should be an honor for any American to meet any President, irrespective of party. The Office is bigger and more important than the particular man.And to those of you complaining about Bush bouncing the KU ball, read the AP article on ESPN about the ceremony. He did the same thing last year with UF's ball.