Archive for Saturday, January 19, 2008

Firefighters respond to blaze at apartments

January 19, 2008, 7:51 a.m. Updated January 19, 2008, 10:22 a.m.

Advertisement

Lawrence Fire & Medical Lt. Ed Noonen wipes away insulation after coming out of a apartment building in the 2000 block of Heatherwood Drive, where fire broke out about 6:00 a.m. Saturday. The blaze is blamed on an unattended candle left in a second story bedroom.

Lawrence Fire & Medical Lt. Ed Noonen wipes away insulation after coming out of a apartment building in the 2000 block of Heatherwood Drive, where fire broke out about 6:00 a.m. Saturday. The blaze is blamed on an unattended candle left in a second story bedroom.

Lawrence firefighters responded about 5:30 a.m. today to an apartment fire at 2040 Heatherwood Drive, which is northeast of 23rd Street and Kasold Drive.

The fire broke out - when temperatures were below zero - on the second floor of a three-story building in Heatherwood Valley Apartments.

One apartment resident suffered nonlife-threatening injuries and was taken by private vehicle to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. No firefighter injuries were reported.

Officials said eight Kansas University students and two KU faculty members were displaced by the early-morning blaze. The KU Office of Student Success, as well as the apartment landlord and the local chapter of the American Red Cross are working to help find other housing for those apartment residents.

At 10:15 a.m., firefighters said the blaze was under control, but they have not yet determined the cause.

More details as they develop.

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

well glad to see nothing about injurys. Thanks guys.

somebodynew 7 years, 6 months ago

thedrawl

Of course the Star has more. They always seem to. Maybe that is because they have journalists working there.

hawklet21 7 years, 6 months ago

I heard tons of sirens about that time, but I live nowhere near that place. Strange.

domino 7 years, 6 months ago

hawklet21 - lots of possibilities - may have been police responding - depending on the severity of the fire they may have called more than one station in to help - may have needed specifice equipment house at one particular station - just a few of the possibilities.

hawklet21 7 years, 6 months ago

Well, I was going to go with some kind of telepathy, but your explanation makes sense (I guess). :)

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

welll now that is updated my first post is invalid. glad no major injury.

nobody1793 7 years, 6 months ago

"The fire broke out - when temperatures were below zero - on the second floor..."

Huh? What does the temperature have to do with the fire starting?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.