Archive for Sunday, December 7, 2008

Driver attacked, robbed during delivery

A pizza delivery driver was attacked and robbed early Sunday morning.

December 7, 2008, 2:27 a.m. Updated December 7, 2008, 4:10 a.m.

Lawrence police are looking for two suspects who assaulted a Pizza Shuttle employee early Sunday morning.

At about 1:30 a.m., the 28-year-old employee delivered a pizza to the 1800 block of East 29th Street. Sgt. Susan Hadl of the Lawrence Police Department said that when the delivery driver approached the front of the house, he was assaulted by two teenage men. The suspects were described as Hispanic or Native American, one of whom was wearing a bandanna.

The driver reported that the suspects punched him, stole his wallet and took the pizza. The employee, who wasn't seriously injured in the attack, tried to stop the suspects from getting away, Hadl said. She said the suspects fled the scene on foot, later fumbling and dropping the pizza near the back of the house. No weapons were displayed by the suspects during the skirmish.

Hadl thinks the suspects drove off in a car they had parked near the scene. There is no description of the vehicle.

The address given for the pizza delivery was a legitimate address, Hadl said, but the residents said that they did not order the pizza.

A manager at Pizza Shuttle declined to comment on the assault Sunday morning. Police are continuing their investigation.

Comments

mandietree 5 years, 4 months ago

ya ummm the "texing age" funny hahahaso no freestate but watev dont care

jeffbob 5 years, 4 months ago

Bounty!!!!!!!!!!Free Shuttlicious for whoever gives info leading to the arrest of these jerks!Jeff

jeffbob 5 years, 4 months ago

mandietree's dad says " she ain't got no good english". But then again, for a 12 year old in the "text age", .......... The good news is that I think the LPD has a lead on this.If the jerks who assaulted Kent are reading this, get ready, you are about to be arrested. Please know that when your first parole hearing comes up, we will be there. Enjoy your cellmate, hope he's a Shuttle fan.Pizza thuggin b........... , I know you think you're funny, but that's not cool, or funny, at all.Free pizza to whomever (Tyler!) turns in these creeps. If your info leads to their arrest, Pizza Shuttle will be happy to return the favor.Call us now at Pizza Shuttle..........8421212Jeff

mandietree 5 years, 4 months ago

hey dayna,i am going to LHS is like 4 years

Jaminrawk 5 years, 4 months ago

Cyber whooped, homie? Seriously, what is with your infatuation with asses? Shouldn't you be in school learning how to spell? P.S. - It's Lawrence, KANSAS! You are not a thug. This town was listed as one of the safest in America. You acting all "hard" is like someone from Montana acting like a surfer.

pizziathuggenbiaaaaatch 5 years, 4 months ago

jaminrawk you need to shut ur ass before you get your ass whooped homie, i was just playn around i feel bad for dat dude, wht those lil thugs did to him is f**ked up.

Dayna Lee 5 years, 4 months ago

Maybe someday. She's about 4 years from high school.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 4 months ago

I hear ya O.B. Their grammar is a dead giveaway.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

Manditree obviously goes to Free State. No offense to the English teachers there, but apparently quite a few kids are slipping through the cracks.

mandietree 5 years, 4 months ago

p.s. dont understand y u think kids shouldnt read newzhahaha lolz bla bla bla............

mandietree 5 years, 4 months ago

Ya dayna i am reading it, its fun, hearing wat NORMAL people hav to say.

rachaelisacancer 5 years, 4 months ago

Dudes - This will not stand, ya know? This aggression will not stand.Pizza driver I'm glad you're OK and I'm glad you like your job, because let me tell you I did delivery and I HATED it - especially the part where I'd show up at Hash or Naismith to find a dumb blonde (redhead, whateva) expecting me to have the ability to run her credit card. Because I carry a credit card machine around in my... Anyway maybe that's why it's good to deliver for a place that doesn't take cards. I doubt they'll catch these little creeps but maybe more people - deliverers and customers - will be looking out for each other now. On another note, I hope you get your wallet back. People should be more willing to turn in lost/stolen items like photos and the other crap you keep in your wallet. Which brings me to my main point, if anyone found a little photo holder somewhere between the Replay, Jimmy Johns on Mass and 11th & Haskell on or after Halloween night, I'd really like it back. It's got pics of a white woman and a black man in it, an engagement photo, some other random crap. But really, if you've seen it I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I bet I like looking at pics of myself and my husband and friends more than you do.

Dayna Lee 5 years, 4 months ago

Again. Kids are reading this. P.S. I love you Baby.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 4 months ago

Um, pizzathuggenbiaaaatch, why are you so concerned what people put in other people's asses? Have you had more than nine in yours?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

"Fourth, he's mad about the wallet but at least they didn't get his rug. Dude."That rug really ties the room together.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 4 months ago

Pizzathug:You are aware they trace you back through your account and monitor the blogs? Not only the LJW, but the LPD. Just to let you know..And please, come up with clever posts.

pizziathuggenbiaaaaatch 5 years, 4 months ago

thats why u don't f*cking deliver pizza bitch, you lucky they didn't put a nine in your ass.

somebodyelse 5 years, 4 months ago

Btw my name is tyler and i go to freestate and the pricks go to school here

somebodyelse 5 years, 4 months ago

Btw my name is tyler and i go to freestate and the pricks go to school here

somebodyelse 5 years, 4 months ago

haha dude that sux but hope ur ok!

Dayna Lee 5 years, 4 months ago

Somehow the kids are getting involved. Please be aware. My neice is still in elementary school. Trust me, he is the hardest person to get something "cool" for christmas. Now we at least have a few ideas. LOL. I am setting forth a challenge. I'm sure Kent lost his favorite Laffy Taffy joke. Do you know a good clean joke to replace it?

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

You think the fur would still be good for a wallet after that?

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

There is venting and then there is constant non-stop venting, El Duderino.It makes one want to drop a few ferrets into those peoples' bathtubs. :\

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

We don't have pizza delivery in my small town. All you hot to trot Lawrence people with your luxuries. I gotta drive to Caseys to get my taco pizza.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 4 months ago

Tip your drivers. Getting food delivered to your house is a convenience. If you don't want to tip, go and pick it up yourself. I think most people kinda get that. Even when I made very little money in college, I tipped drivers. It's worth the three bucks to not have to deal with the post Burrito King effects.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

katara, everybody uses this comment section for their own purposes. If Multi wants to get on here and vent, let her. I personally get on here just for amusement. Sometimes I'm serious but usually I'm just cracking jokes that I hope people get. (doesn't usually work) Dude, can't we all just get along?

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

Was there not a call back number?I see a new policy in the works.Maybe pizzas isn't your line of work.Try driving a cab, its safer and pays much better.Good thing you weren't carrying as these idiots suggest.Instead of your wallet,your gun would be in thugs hands.

mandietree 5 years, 4 months ago

From my point of veiw its scary. Growing up, living, and going to shool were u just heard ur uncle was robbed. He is better and not ever seriously inlured but still, could it happen agian?

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 4 months ago

it'd be funny to have one of these drivers bust this f-ing thugs head open. thug spends rest of life on life support for being a jackass. lesson learned for all other wannabe thugs.

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

Multidisciplinary,Anyone can click on my history on LJW and see you are full of it. As for something positive or supportive, you must have not fully read my post and noticed my wishes for a speedy recovery for this delivery driver. Of course, it is to be expected since that part wasn't about you.Yeah, we get it. You've had a hard and difficult life. You tell us all about it all the time. Almost non-stop, actually.But perhaps, just perhaps, if you spent a little less time blogging and announcing your great works to mankind, you could improve your situation. I mean, we hear quite a bit about how difficult things are for you financially (because you tell us) but yet you have plenty of money for your various road trips to Lawrence and wherever else hits your fancy. We hear about the latest places you ate at on the way or in town. You griped about delivery service on this very thread. This tells me that perhaps a budget review is in order for you.As for watching feel good movies, some of us actually go out and do charitable things because we want to. Because we enjoy doing so. Most of us don't need a movie to motivate us and most of us don't need to announce our charitable works. The fact that we can help someone is reward enough. Bragging is simply not necessary and we don't have to justify our actions to make ourselves feel better about it. By all means, continue to blame the mean people of LJW for your change in heart for helping this fellow out and continue on with your petty & self-righteous attitude that you've displayed. Most of us expect nothing less out of you on what you seem to believe is Multidisciplinary.com rather than LJW.comAnd I'm done with you here. I have no desire to encourage more of your endless blathering.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~As for the delivery driver, I'm pleased to here that Pizza Shuttle stepped up to the plate and reimbursed you your personal money. Hopefully replacing the items in the wallet won't be a complete hassle. I hope they find it to save you the trouble of doing so. And if not, may you be first in line at the DMV, the clerks in a good mood and the picture they take flattering!You have a generally thankless job. Very few appreciate the work you do and a lot of times you have to listen to people gripe all the time. Speedy recovery and best wishes.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 4 months ago

So is the march downtown cancelled then?

jeffbob 5 years, 4 months ago

As Kent's employer, and brother-in-law, I would like to let you all know that Pizza Shuttle has re-imbursed him his own personal money, encouraged him to seek health-care, and followed up on his well being. Also, I don't know a lot of mom and pop businesses that provide the health insurance benefits that Kent has. Pizza Shuttle is more than just a business, it's a family, and we take care of ours.To those who did this, turn yourselves in.Jeff

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 4 months ago

Multi, I am sorry to see that you have withdrawn your charitable actions based on the hate of others. Where would we all be if Jesus had done the same?Some people just can't get throught the day without running others down to feel better about themselves. For the sake of his child(ren), I hope you reconsider, Multi.Peace

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 4 months ago

Mysterlee, I think you're wasting your time lecturing the homeless guy about tipping for his pizza.The situation itself isn't funny.The hysteria -- "How can any of us feel safe anymore?!? -- that's, well, hysterical.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

We're just saying dude to say it. Dude is unisex. That and you just sound kinda dorky if you say dudette. (sp)Multi, you're good people. I wish I knew more people like you. Especially since it'll be a very long time before we can buy a house. I also believe you should help where you can and when you can. We received a free turkey from my husbands work for Thanksgiving and already had one so we donated it to the church. It's nothing big but it's what we can do and hope it'll help someone out. And I am very sorry for the guy who got robbed. Glad he's being light hearted about it and not on here posting hate filled comments. It shows he's a good man! Hopefully a quick recovery to you!

Jeanne Cunningham 5 years, 4 months ago

His back is hurt. His ribs are NOT broken. He thinks that it's possible that when he was trying to restrain the second guy and get to his cell phone to call 911, he (pizza guy/mysterlee/my son) may have broken the second guy's ribs.They didn't get the Pizza money. They "only" got HIS personal wallet. I'm sure they've spent the money by now, but the wallet MIGHT still be around somewhere in the area. It would be nice IF someone returned it - maybe even the guys who took it. Even if it doesn't change what they did, it would still be the right thing to do. Maybe it would be a step in the right direction for them...?The pizza which the first guy took time to try to steal while bailing on his associate who, at that time was still being restrained, was dropped in the back yard of the house. And, it was more like after 4am than 2am when I got the phone call....

Dayna Lee 5 years, 4 months ago

You people are sooo weird. It took me a second, but I figured it out. You think HLL785 is a dude. (lol!) You take such pride in ruining the online paper and don't always have the worst things to say, you just don't care that there are real feeling that you hurt. She's the youngest. She didn't get a lot of sleep and was not having the best week before this happened. Do whatever you want with your money. I didn't want "the victim" to be known, but once it was posted, I just figured everyone did the math to learn which brother and sister is which. We were raised here. We raise our kids here. We do what we can, when we can. Kent has a cat. My point is simple. This article was not supposed to blow up the way that it did. Someone can come and take your wallet, or you might just leave it somewhere by mistake. You probably don't have a back up for some of those things. Make a copy. Happy Holidays from our family to yours.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Katara, we all know your history of coming on just to run people down. I can't remember you ever posting a supportive/positive comment at all.And yes, I do like to help out where I can.Always have.After consulting the donors, I will be delivering said funds to another charity here. They read this thread and also decided to 'bow out'. Animal lovers. Somebody gets a new home today. Sorry mysterlee, you've been screwed by the bad guys twice now. Glad to hear you're not so bad, broken ribs suck..for a long time sometimes.After that, I go finish the paperwork on selling one of my houses to a family that can't get regular financing because of his disability and past. I'm financing it myself. Everyone in town raises their eyebrows, because this family doesn't have a good history here. The kids need a safe home, and I have the ability to try to put them in one. Will I benefit? Hardly.. I won't live long enough for the debt to be paid.The payments fit what the family was paying for a very bad trailer, it pays the taxes and insurance. Pays the realtor fees, eventually. He's a charitable man too.Why?Because I've been in hard times before, and it just so happens, I think when people CAN be generous..go out on a limb if necessary..perhaps they should now and then.Ever watched "The Best Years of Our Lives"?I suggest you do..about 100 times.Learn from it. You learn even more from it as 'life hits you' over the years.--Deja, you didn't do anything wrong. You were fine. Sometimes a simple line creates a snowball.We need snowballs, the good ones, where'er they happen.

marklee81 5 years, 4 months ago

This is Kent's brother.First of all thier lucky he didn't get thier wallets. Second, he didn't have time to draw a weapon if he did it would've been a different outcome, it almost was and he was bum-rushed. Third, he really just wants his wallet back. So, if anyone sees a wallet, any wallet return it to the rightful owner. Fourth, he's mad about the wallet but at least they didn't get his rug. Dude.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

I wasn't trying to mock anyone. I was only professing my love for Waka's comments and in the end made an a$$ out of myself. Sorry if I was disrespecting anyone!! Oh and..dude!

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

And in comes Multidisciplinary to save the day! Whatever would Lawrence do without your good deeds! We'd all just waste away , not knowing how we would get along if not for your "fund-raising" and blog ability. Give me a break!mike_blur is right. You ARE an attention hag.PIzza guy, I hope you heal quickly. I've done the job before and it can be incredibly hazardous. Hopefully, they'll catch the jerks who did this do you and they'll get what they deserve!

mysterlee 5 years, 4 months ago

waka1 i hope you now realize that the pizza driver deserves a tip. do you tip a wait person. drivers do not make minimum wage just like wait staffs. only after tips do we. plus we have to deal with gas and wear and tear on our car. so i now maybe your asking your self how much should i tip. well just remember pizza drivers risk their lives to bring you pizza. if you don't think thats worth a couple of bucks thats ok because i love my job. i love seeing the joy on the kids faces when i pull up in the driveway. santa has nothing on me. i come all year long and kinda dig a little naughty. this event isn't going to slow me down any. and no i am not going to start carrying a gun or knife. i still have faith in man. these kids were not pros. i hope that after the wake-up call i gave them they might stop this stuff. hopefully the police catch them. i know karma will. thanks again for all the love and always remember i care about my customers and service has always been a priority for me. you better believe that i made sure that the two pizzas that were still in my car got delivered. if you see a 6'1' 18-21 year old punk with a broken rib or two let me know.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the support threadfriends. I needed it. Last night, after I posted, I had been thinking about doing a blog to set up a fundraiser for the victim. Then, mysterlee comes and comments, and that cinched it. Off to ‘Works’ I went, wrote, edited, re-edited. And saved for posting this morning, after the ‘blog rush’ so more people would see it. I emailed a couple of friends to see if they would help out too.About 4 this morning, my pain woke me up, I sit up for a while before heading back to bed. I got on the computer to answer some email, do some work, and as usual, I log on to see what’s up.Not only does the victim's brother post, half good, half still hurtful. I could have lived with that and continued. Then Mike comes on with his post.I thought for a few minutes, went to Works and deleted the blog. My charitable give-a-damn is busted. Why am I trying to help people who slap me in the face?Then this morning, I checked my email. To the brother, and Mike Blur:You now owe the victim $65.00. And who knows what might have come in from the blog. I've done this a few times before, and let's just say from experience, this family probably wouldn't need to worry about being cash-strapped for a couple of months.I sincerely hope they come out alright, but I give up trying to help in the face of these few unkind people.PS, I also thought Mike's Maglite was a good idea, but forgot to mention it. Those things will crack a skull. Aim for the nose.Practice at home so the reflex action will be natural to you.

logicsound04 5 years, 4 months ago

Who'da thought?61 comments on a thread about a pizza delivery robbery......I might as well add my 2 cents:-First and foremost, it obviously sucks that this guy was robbed just trying to do his job. I hope they catch the perps.-To the acquaintances of the victim...christ. If you are going to get so riled up over some anonymous strangers' comments on a public forum--most of which had nothing to do with the crime/story in question--then perhaps you would be better served to steer clear altogether. What happened to your friend/family member stinks, but more than likely, no one here is responsible. Focus your rage on those who deserve it, rather than coming on here and hypocritically disrespecting the rest of us.-Lastly, this is NOT a case for concealed carry. I am so tired of every little crime being an invitation for the 2nd Amendment absolutists to clamor about the need for everyone to have a gun. The way it sounds like this went down, the best that the victim would have been able to do was shoot at or threaten to shoot at the jackasses who did this as they ran away on foot. It's dispicable to assault someone and take their money, but count me as someone who thinks shooting that person in response is overkill. Personal defense doesn't always have to involve a firearm--Blur's suggestion of a Mag Lite or some other non-lethal weapon will do the trick 9 times out of 10 and have a near 0% chance of harming an innocent bystander. Because, you know, sometimes hitting an innocent bystander is important for more reasons than the risk of an employer's liability (as madmike so callously suggests).

waka1 5 years, 4 months ago

dude i have never tipped a pizza man they get paided already

TheEleventhStephanie 5 years, 4 months ago

Additionally, this is a public forum. Posting here, contrary to what you think, is NOT "like writing mean comments on someones obituary." Not at all.Don't like it, then don't read it. The bottom line here is that nobody is speaking ill of your brother, and nobody is mocking. All of the name calling has come from you.

staff04 5 years, 4 months ago

Mmmm...pizza shuttle....Been on the East Coast for 5 years now, and still occasionally crave a BTO from the shuttle...Salsa and creamcheese was another favorite!

TheEleventhStephanie 5 years, 4 months ago

Dude, HLL, nobody was mocking anyone. You, however, are calling people names.Dude.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 4 months ago

Man, glad the delivery guy is alright. And Mike Blur, don't bag on Multi, she's good people.

pooter 5 years, 4 months ago

Let's make sure this never happens again by setting up a memorial at the robbery site. Put up a confederate flag and scatter some empty pizza boxes all around it. Then we can all stand around it and talk about all the great pizza's we've had delivered in the past.*

achtung 5 years, 4 months ago

yeah it's kinda news, but i read this and i think the publicity could only give more idiots the brilliant idea of robbing a pizza guy. cuz they got away. i'm glad that the shuttle guy fought back at least. i've never been hit on a delivery but i've pulled a kid from inside my car and threw him on the pavement, kicked down someone's door at jeffco, and chased two punks across campus who eventually got caught. blur's maglite is a good idea, and he's not he only one who has one. they're also good for spotting house numbers. nine irons work as well. plus if the driver isn't an idiot, he is always doing "drops" and doesn't have much cash on him. note to the robbers: go get a job delivering pizza- it's easy it's fun and you make good money

Mike Blur 5 years, 4 months ago

HLL785, let me copy and paste directly from your post:"My brother does a service to the community deliverying pizza so pathetic drunks don't roam the streets and lazy jerks dont have to get off their @sses to feed themselves."Pretty hard to misinterpret that statement. Correct?I'm well aware that multidisciplinary is an attention hag, and it is no surprise that she's upset that PDD's don't bow down on bended knee when she tips 17.5 percent under blizzard conditions. (Here's a clue for all of you who think you tip well. My top ten tips are all over 200 percent of order cost.) All tips are appreciated, but drivers should not be expected to grovel and kowtow to Mz. Multi Tipper. If you truly feel that way, "multi" do all delivery drivers a favor and order carryout. I don't care if you have a child in a wheelchair. I've knocked on thousands of doors, and you situation is far from unique, so don't think you're special.And Kent, sorry to hear about you getting knocked over at 1:30 am. That's the quiet time right before bar rush. (On a good night when all goes right, I could make $100-plus from 2-5 am.) It's been ages since a driver has been accosted, so be careful here on out. Take my advice on the mag lite (it seems foolish to spend $40 on a flash light, but it's money well spent) and for crissakes, strip down on personal possessions at work. When I delivered, I never carried my wallet with me--no personal cash on me--and I used a "terr'ist" cell phone, the kind you get from Wal Mart for $10 with top up cards. Go forth and stay safe, and tell Jesse, Jen and Aubs I said hi.

volunteer 5 years, 4 months ago

Hoping this may be helpful to some worker: in Kansas a workers comp claim form needs to be filed with one's employer within 200 days of the accident/incident.It's not the typical tort rule of two years.Also, Kansas allows comp for repetitive stress injuries (carpal tunnel for example) while some states, such as Missouri, do not.

kansasdaughter 5 years, 4 months ago

HHL, don't waste your time with the idiots who have nothing better to do with their time than to post mean spirited things about people they don't know. I wish your brother a speedy recovery, he sounds like a generous and loving soul.

waka1 5 years, 4 months ago

dude i am caling pizza shutle now dont burn my peperonys this time

Marion Lynn 5 years, 4 months ago

Kill a few pizza robbers and this stuff might stop.The pizza robbers know that the delivery people are defenseless due to the imptotence and fear of the owners of the company.Do you know that the insurance of the drivers is invalid during deliveries and that the pizza companies know this?

Wendy magillicutty 5 years, 4 months ago

great post mysterlee. sorry you were robbed but glad you're alive. get the health care you deserve, especially if people are counting on you and/or your income!peace!

Marion Lynn 5 years, 4 months ago

Guy in the dorms in trouble 'cause he has a gun; guy delivering pizza gets robbed and beaten becuase he dosn't.Go figure.

rlmtyco 5 years, 4 months ago

whats up Kent, Ryan M here, hope you are doing alright man.

HLL785 5 years, 4 months ago

OK i apparently didnt explain myself well earlier so i'll try again. First off, i wasn't even talking about their customer base i was talking about bloggers who spend their lives harrassing people instead of going out into the world and living their lives. And for you to say they sneer about your tips GOD NO your money put food in their childs mouths. that was my point, its not ok that this happened. and i for one am tired of it happening. secondly, no matter what you say its still not funny. its not and i still believe their are better venues for that particular brand of humor. its in very poor taste. go myspace go im eachother and giggle but writing these things on this article is like writing mean comments on someones obituary. like i said what if it was someone you love or even you, WOULD IT BE FUNNY THEN???

mysterlee 5 years, 4 months ago

WHAT SUCKED ABOUT GETTING ROBBED1. sorrow for the souls of the robbers2. not being given the chance to hand over the money without being attacked3. the money and wallet were mine and not the store money ( $130.00 not the end of the world )4. not being able to over power two guys and detain them until the cops showed up, because that would have been awesome.5. missing my saturday night bar rush6. getting banged up pretty good7. I am a total pack rat and my wallet had many a great memory unside.8. having to deal with all of the credit cards and new IDs. insurance card and all of the other things i always keep safe in my wallet!!9. waking my mom up at three in the morning10. having to learn a lesson the hard way.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Well said.When the dude started this morning, no one had any idea what the outcome would turn out like.Of course we all have concern for your brother. I suggest a doctor and a lawyer's advice. Family business or not. That's what workman's comp is for.A back injury could mess him up for a long time, and he needs it documented, medically.---And on the other hand...Good to know all those tips I handed out (extra in cold or wet weather, and when gas went up) were sneered at by the drivers.I respected what they do for a living and appreciated their help. It's hard to go pick up food when you've got a child in a wheelchair and you have to stay home a lot. I'll remember how you feel about your customers before I order next time. NOT.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

HLL785 -I hope your brother is ok. In my defence (and others), we were just joking around about nothing. Once a thread gets sidetracked on The Big Lebowski, all bets are off. There was no intent to mock your brother. Take care and the 842-1212 song has been in my head for 15 years.

Dayna Lee 5 years, 4 months ago

They messed up his back pretty bad. We're trying to talk him into going to the doctor to get it checked out. He had delivered to the house a million times before. He's been doing a lot for the Sunset Hill PTA and they even recognized him on their sign recently. He was raised with quite a few defensive plans. (Not to mention a little wrestling) It's crazy to think that something like that can happen in this town just doing your job. Thanks.

rlmtyco 5 years, 4 months ago

yeah kent is a really good guy, i knew it had to be him when i read this article. i hope he turns out to be okay

RobertMarble 5 years, 4 months ago

Excellent advice, Mike. Personal protection is the responsibility of every individual. This crime is a reminder of the fact that dirtbags are always on the prowl for an opportunity. It just takes additional alertness and preparation to protect yourself. I'm glad to hear the driver suffered no serious injuries; that part is great news. The police usually do an adequate job for what the scope of their mission is. But they are not personal bodyguards for every individual citizen at every moment of the day. A little defensive planning, preparation, & training could very well save your life one day. Ideally you'll never encounter a need to utilize it- but far better have the capability should the need arise.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

Boy,that's some customer service.lazy jerks and drunks?Hmm.Put that on your flyer.

Mike Blur 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey HLL785, back off on the customer base. I was a delivery driver for many years, and I'm appreciative of customers who exercise their options of convenience and they should not be called "lazy jerks." I am still friends with many pizza drivers in Lawrence--including a few drivers and in-stores at the Shuttle. Most of us take measures to protect ourselves when we venture out into strange neighborhoods. All 3 pizza places I worked at in Lawrence had a "don't ask, don't tell" policy per my personal protection policy. (I have never worked for Shuttle.) One weapon I did employ--overtly--was a "D-battery" Mag LIte (LEO grade) not only does it provide ample light, but it's a potent weapon and deterrent to anyone who may approach you will ill intent. Forty bucks well spent. For any delivery drivers--especially friends I care about who are reading this thread--stay aware of your surroundings, call ahead to confirm the order, and pack at least a mag lite or Royals mini-bat or something! Just remember--when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

triplegoddess13 5 years, 4 months ago

HLL-They aren't being heartless and they weren't even making comments about the crime itself. Lighten up and wipe the red from your eyes for just a minute so you can actually pay attention to what is being said.

HLL785 5 years, 4 months ago

Speaking as a former employee and family member of most of the crew this driver included i can whole heartedly say that anyone battling what dayna is saying is a heartless baffoon. This gentlemen is my big brother, and a role model and provider for his 5 year old son who thinks nothing but the world of him. Put your feet in his shoes for a second to have to explain to him what happened to his daddy. and then you all have the B*LLS to say that getting out there and doing something to protect "YOUR" community is not only silly, even funny, and a hassle you all are sick. My brother does a service to the community deliverying pizza so pathetic drunks don't roam the streets and lazy jerks dont have to get off their @sses to feed themselves. you all are the ones needing a reality check, spend your time writing these stupid posts cracking jokes and fighting the family of the person this happened to?? how satisfying does that feel? were you woken up at 4 in the morning fearing for your loved ones life and well being??? no i didnt think so. i was. i did. the funny thing is i know my brother and had he seen this happening to you, or seen it happening to your loved ones he would have been the first one trying to help them and then you mock him??? you all are the jokes. how you sleep with yourselves tonight is on you. Shuttle fam for life. 8421212

Calliope877 5 years, 4 months ago

Pizza Shuttle sucks...I still feel bad for the delivery guy tho.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

And if they only took credit cards!They lost a lot of business from me for that very reason.

treesplease 5 years, 4 months ago

mmmm...pineapple creamcheese WITH ranch. Really how bad, I mean delicious can you get. call us now pizza shuttle!

jaywalker 5 years, 4 months ago

Dayna,Perspective, dear. The guy wasn't seriously injured, and if you're gonna go 'round the bend for every crime against humanity it's gonna be a miserable, paranoid life. Noone here was laughing or joking about the driver, but with all the garbage on the news 24/7 if we don't make light of things we'll all go a little meshugenah (billion bucks I didn't spell that right!).Feel your stress, but let it slide, this ain't that big a deal.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

That's why, when you got the note announcing school picture time was coming, they said to not wear white shirts, as it washes out the face.I don't know why LJW makes us where them!!Frankly, I look much better in blue or red.This does show my outline quite well, I'd say.-I just tried to post this, suddenly the "Watch your mouth" line comes up.What did I say? What??Then I noticed I had typoed the w in white, thus it started with an 's'.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

Woodenfleaeater -Be wary of that dude. He's dangerous.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 4 months ago

I have tried to do that, but when I post pictures of the suspects, i never get any hits. The last suspect I posted had a picture almost like the one to the left of your name. White face, white shirt, bald, no neck, no arms showing, round shoulders......Coincidence?????

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

Woodenfleaeater -Do what I do... crimefight while posting.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 4 months ago

I hope the meager amount of money that trash got was worth going to jail.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 4 months ago

That is a great idea Dayna, but I spend way too much time on these threads. I can't post here AND be a crimefighter, it just wouldn't work!!

Dayna Lee 5 years, 4 months ago

First of all, I want the criminals that did this arrested. I want this to be a safe town. I want idiots to stop wasting their time making jokes on this site. I'm confident that these kids will be caught. I hope that anyone that laughs about it, will do something to make this city realize that it wasn't you this time, but small crimes matter. So many do not make the paper. Kids bikes get stolen, cars get scratched, people get beat up. Report them ALL! I guess what I am getting at is that it matters. It's not a joke. Make a difference. Smile at a kid today!

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

While I agree that these punks could have been shot legally for robbery, unfortunately, most companies forbid their employees from being armed. To them, it is easier to replace a dead employee, than tallow their employees to be armed, thereby incurring a portion of liability if the employee hits an innocent person.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 4 months ago

What are you trying to get at Dayna?

Dayna Lee 5 years, 4 months ago

Lighten up? I have a lot of family and friends in this town that go to work everyday and do our job with very little appreciation. This happened a block from where my kid goes to school. Delivering pizza in this town is dangerous enough due to all the drunks that think they need "The Bell". More people need to be upset by violence like this. Lawrence is not a small town, I get it. It is though. Atleast 2 people know who did this. Do you know who did it??????

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 4 months ago

If I have to walk outside to fetch my pizza from the driver in the car, I might as well pick it up myself. At least it would save me the delivery fee, those fees are getting outrageous.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Thanks gang..now I'm out here in the middle of nowhere craving a shuttle pineapple creamcheese!(I did buy dunkin donuts before I left town last night, lol)

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

Give me Pizza SHuttle,Or give me death!When pizza is outlawed, only outlaws will have pizza!The king won't need his spectacles to see this pizza.

Marlboro_Man2 5 years, 4 months ago

Two words.......concealed carry

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Dayna..dear, lighten up.It's Sunday morning for crying out loud.They weren't making fun of the robbery, they were laughing at deja missing the dude line.If you read these threads often, you'd know that.

devobrun 5 years, 4 months ago

Kids ages about 12 to about mid 20s, this is for you.Somebody attacked and robbed the Pizza Shuttle delivery guy last night. You order from Pizza Shuttle regularly, right?This could cause a change in delivery rules.This could cause an increase in costs for The Shuttle and all other delivery restaurants in Lawrence. You will pay more because a coupla idiots robbed the Shuttle guy.Call yer friends and put together some signs. March downtown and in the neighborhood where this happened. Don't interfere with law abiding citizens. Just raise the awareness of the situation. Maybe somebody will notice and a tip will come in and the bad guys will be caught.Its yer favorite pizza delivery place. Help us all out.OK, I know that people in the above demographic probably don't get on these blogs. Parents, friends, give them a heads up. Take back the pizza night.

Dayna Lee 5 years, 4 months ago

This is NOT a funny story!!!!!! Anyone with tips please call crimestoppers or the police. Also, anyone reading this, please take a second to look into your wallet and decide if you can replace the things that you have in it. You carry that picture, because it means the world to you, but do you have a back up? And parents, raise your kids. I love being able to order pizza. 842-1212!!!!!!

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

"Criminal masterminds!"+++Consider the logistics involved!Staggering.

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

Waka, I would be surprised to find out that you had a job at all.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 4 months ago

All these "dudes" flying around, makes me feel like watching The Big Lebowski.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

oh shoot, nevermind. It was a different comment. DUDE!

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

I was going through his old posts and this is the first one in awhile that didn't start with dude.

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

dejacrew423 - I wish I could smile at waka. I just shake my head.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

lol, oh waka, sometimes you make me smile!

waka1 5 years, 4 months ago

dude that is why i dont have a job to dangerus

Richard Heckler 5 years, 4 months ago

Food for thought...Maybe it's time for customers to come get the pizza from the delivery car. If the driver spots two characters coming from other than the house speeding away is the other option.Meeting the driver at the delivery vehicle is still more convenient than driving. Teamwork!