Archive for Thursday, December 4, 2008

KU headed to Insight Bowl

The Kansas Jayhawks gather for a portrait following their 40-37 win over Missouri Saturday, Nov. 29, 2008 at Arrowhead Stadium.

December 4, 2008

2008 Insight Bowl

KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell & Minneapolis Star Tribune sports writer Kent Youngblood take a look at what to expect from the Jayhawks and the Golden Gophers during the 2008 Insight Bowl.

The Kansas University football team is headed to the Insight Bowl.

A source with inside knowledge of the negotiations told the Journal-World on Thursday that Kansas University is planning to announce Friday that it will be putting tickets on sale for the 2008 Insight Bowl.

The Tempe, Ariz.-based bowl, which kicks off at 5 p.m. on Dec. 31 at Sun Devil Stadium, annually pits a Big 12 team against a team from the Big Ten. Because it remains unclear how many Big Ten teams will be represented in BCS bowls, however, the Jayhawks' opponent has not yet been determined.

Fellow Big 12 North member Nebraska, meanwhile, is currently selling tickets to the Jan. 1 Gator Bowl, where the Huskers will take on Clemson.

The Alamo Bowl, which had discussed the possibility of offering a bid to Kansas, is no longer an option for the Jayhawks. According to the source, even if the Alamo Bowl thought Kansas would be a better draw, the San Antonio-based bowl would not want to go against the wishes of one of its partners, the Big 12 Conference, by bypassing the North champion in favor of the division's third-place finisher.

Comments

maxcrabb 6 years ago

Wait... what do they put inside the trophy?Oh, $1.2 million...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insight_...

Newell_Post 6 years ago

There's an "Insight Bowl"? Who knew? Are you sure this isn't just a scam to get out of classes and cruise to Las Vegas with loose women? I know the team must have given a note to the coach about this, but are we sure it isn't a forgery?

VTHawk 6 years ago

And it is the same week that KU Hoops plays down there (Arizona). Good job Lew! Now if only I had money and time off to go spend a week...

average 6 years ago

Any chance the game will be allowed on a broadcaster locally, not just the NFL Network? Probably not, I reckon... otherwise, why would they pay for the rights?

Steve Jacob 6 years ago

But KU plays Arizona on the 23ed. Will people stay there for a week through Christmas? Granted it will be about 50 degrees warmer :)

ohjayhawk 6 years ago

average - I'd say if you live in Lawrence, you have a much better chance of it being picked up locally than I do here in Ohio. I guess I'll have to find a restaurant that has satellite that is showing the game.

Rickyonealku 6 years ago

Congrats to Kansas Football Team, Coaches et als...first time ever back to back Bowl Trips.....Rock Chalk Jayhawks...KU...KU...KU...heck and next year?????

classclown 6 years ago

Insight bowl? Never even heard of it. Looked at maxcrabb's wiki link and saw it used to be called the Copper bowl. Still one must shrug their shoulders.Is this one of those midnight bowl games or one that just isn't given any attention because some bigger bowl game is going on?Too many bowls in college football. They need to go to a playoff system.

BigPrune 6 years ago

Is this the same "Insight" as in those cheesy whistling commercials about a daily supplement? "Bob is living large when he uses Insight" and the neighbor ladies are quite impressed.

classclown 6 years ago

From what I was able to find, that $1.2 million get split by both teams. So $600,000 to the Jayhawks for going.Still not as bad as some of the other non consequential bowls though.

Trobs 6 years ago

You guys really missed the best part about the article. The Alamo Bowl wanted us but the Big 12 said they needed to take the North Champion. So the conference dictate bowls now?

kctgr 6 years ago

And in related news...the federal government's "no child left behind" policy has been expanded to include imaginary cartoon birds.

kusp8 6 years ago

Big Prune says: "Is this the same “Insight” as in those cheesy whistling commercials about a daily supplement? “Bob is living large when he uses Insight” and the neighbor ladies are quite impressed."Silly Big Prune, that's Enzyte, not Insight...but I understand, it is very easy to confuse the two. :-p

beawolf 6 years ago

"So the conference dictate bowls now?"...Not really. The major bowl committees enter negotiations with various conferences to pre-determine potential match ups. The article is worded wrong. The #5 team in the Big 12 goes to the Alamo bowl, it just happens to be Mizzou who are the North Champions.The Insight bowl has the #6 Big 12 (Kansas) vs the #6 Big Ten which should be Minnesota.

kctgr 6 years ago

"Yeah, the Alamo Bowl wanted KU instead of the North Co-Champ….Missouri. That's funny."Reading comprehension must not be a high priority for kansas schools.

Trobs 6 years ago

Beawolf - The bowls get picks in order. Alamo gets the #5 pick of the Big 12 teams. They are not required to take the #5 team.

Jay Riner 6 years ago

The Alamo Bowl directors are afraid that their bowl will be remembered as the "Booger Eating Bowl" if Missouri is invited. Mr. Daniel...if you must pick it...PLEASE flick it.

hail2oldku 6 years ago

Incorrect beawolf, the Alamo Bowl gets to fifth selection they are not obligated to take the fifth place team though. This happened after Mizzou go their panties in a wad last year when Lew ran the end around on them to the Orange Bowl.

Bruce Rist 6 years ago

It ain't the money or the name of the bowl~It's the two-three weeks of extra practice that help the team.

tanaumaga 6 years ago

wasn't the aloha bowl years back to back?

fabian_zimbabwe 6 years ago

tanaumaga, those were the '92 and '95 Aloha Bowls (victories over BYU and UCLA, respectively). Incidentally, I had the very good fortune to attend the '92 game as the USAF was kind enough to station me in Honolulu during that time. Not sure if they still carry the tradition, but back then the game ball was delivered to Aloha Stadium by a paratrooper dressed as Santa Claus...quite a sight!

chzypoof1 6 years ago

kctgr - Seriously man, stop trolling the Jayhawk board. Go crawl back in your little hole and look forward to the beat down you are going to get tomorrow by the Sooners. The Alamo bowl will gladly take a team that has lost 3 straight to OU, and 3 of 5 to the Jayhawks. poof

kctgr 6 years ago

logicsound04 says..."You sure about that?What else do you think this means:'According to the source, even if the Alamo Bowl thought Kansas would be a better draw'"Yeah...I'm pretty sure. The phrase "even if" denotes the writer's conjecture about what he wants the Alamo bowl reps to be thinking.Example:reporter: "President Bush...wouldn't it benefit the country for us to pull out of Iraq?"bush: "Even if that were possible, I'm not sure it would be a benefit."meaning: "I'm going to answer your question so as to not hurt your feelings and not get myself in trouble."

kctgr 6 years ago

chzypoof1 says..."kctgr - Seriously man, stop trolling the Jayhawk board. Go crawl back in your little hole and look forward to the beat down you are going to get tomorrow by the Sooners."You mean look forward to playing in the championship game? Yeah, we'll get beat like we stole something, but at least we're not sitting at home.

arizonajh 6 years ago

Come on down for the game and you'll never want to go back! In Lawrence it's 23 degrees now with a high of 39 today while we (in Phoenix) will be basking in 74, drinking an ice cold beer and sitting by the pool. I had to laugh when I read about fines for not shoveling the snow on sidewalks. I hosed my sidewalk down yesterday and the only problem I had was getting upset because my flip flops got wet! I've got my tickets for B-Ball in Tucson and I'll be hunting for football tickets today and guess what, I'm not wearing long pants to either! God, I love Arizona!

chzypoof1 6 years ago

kctgr - spoken like a true MU fan. You know you suck, but you will still act like your team is better than they are. MU SOS - 38KU SOS - 7UT kicked your @$#, OU and TT would have beat you down. You would be no better than 7-5 right now and we would be playing tomorrow if you didn't have a weak schedule. Border War Final Score - 40-37 KUTo quote MU fans across the area: SCOREBOARDpoof

Trobs 6 years ago

Chase for the Heisman!Hahahahahhahahahaha!Seriously, funny.

arizonajh 6 years ago

totallyanonymousdick - Have you ever been here in July? I'll take 110 and 3% humidity here over 90 and 70% humidity there in July any day! As they say, "it's a dry heat"! I do miss my Jayhawks though! I miss the way AFH vibrates during a 12 -0 run and the beauty of the hill as seen from Memorial Stadium. Unfortunately there's no economy beyond the university and healthcare. Here I have 17 years left on a 20 year contract paying 2 1/2 times what I made for the same job in Kansas. I have a pool, an air-conditioned garage and I park 30 feet undergound at work, who cares if it's a little warm?

kctgr 6 years ago

logicsound4 says..."And while were on the subject of meaning…aren't you curious why the Big 12 would express its wishes that the Alamo Bowl take the North (co-) champ instead of KU if that wasn't a possibility?"I never said it wasn't a possibility. I was merely refuting the "fact" (as numerous people pointed it out to be) that they wanted kU over MU. It simply cannot be taken as a fact from that article and the language actually suggests otherwise.

kctgr 6 years ago

beowolf says..."The Insight bowl has the #6 Big 12 (Kansas) vs the #6 Big Ten which should be Minnesota."That's interesting since kU is #7 in the Big 12. Nebraska is #6 - http://www.big12sports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&KEY=&SPID=13139&SPSID=106181

simplyamazed 6 years ago

What's really funny here is that we used to pray that we just got an offer to play in a bowl game somewhere regardless of what the name of the bowl was and would probably even paid the bowl game to take us and now we are b*tching about where we are going this year. Just would like to say thanks to the players and Coach M for another great and exciting year and another bowl game! We seem to forget so easily when we were not even considered to play in a bowl game much less even win a game. Way to go guys and looking forward to watching regardless where the game is played!

Arbuckle Smith 6 years ago

Hey Lew....can you pay Sunflower to put the game on for everyone? I think you have enough cash. What a nice thing that would be.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years ago

"Insight bowl? Never even heard of it. Looked at maxcrabb's wiki link and saw it used to be called the Copper bowl. Still one must shrug their shoulders.Is this one of those midnight bowl games or one that just isn't given any attention because some bigger bowl game is going on?"I'm interesting in hearing classclown tell us about his exciting bowl experiences at the Rose Bowl or some other more prestigious event. He's being awfully dismissive about the Insight Bowl, so he must have played in a much more important sporting event in his career, we all assume.

MUKUOUFan 6 years ago

simplyamazed (Anonymous) says… What's really funny here is that we used to pray that we just got an offer to play in a bowl game somewhere regardless of what the name of the bowl was and would probably even paid the bowl game to take us and now we are b*tching about where we are going this year==========================EXCELLENT observation! People don't seem to learn from Nebraska's example of firing a coach for "only going 9-3 and not getting a BCS bid".....and now having spent years suffering from their greed. Congrats to KU on a bowl well deserved.

tbw 6 years ago

Insight Bowl - sponsored by Insight Enterprises, $4billion company co-founded by 1986 KU Alum.

Jason Bailey 6 years ago

LogicSound: What are you smoking, man? "1st time finishing at or better than .500 in the Big 12"?! Was last year's one loss season not better than .500 in the Big 12? We won 7 out of 8 Big 12 matchups in 2007.

jonas_opines 6 years ago

"Insight bowl"Is this a new name for the can? I get a great deal of insight sitting on that bowl.

jonas_opines 6 years ago

"I keep hearing about how MU is playing in the championship game and KU isn't, but it doesn't seem Misery fans can be happy about that. The only thing that makes them truly happy is trolling stories about KU and arguing w/ Kansas fans."KU fans root for KU, MU fans root against KU. Certainly applicable to the trolling posters. Certainly they can be taken as representative?snrk

d_prowess 6 years ago

As far as the game being on the NFL network, can't you call up Sunflower the day before, order that channel, then cancel it the next day and they only charge you the pro-rated, daily rate? I thought someone said this was the case, but i would love confirmation on this.

chapdaddy 6 years ago

""Yeah, the Alamo Bowl wanted KU instead of the North Co-Champ….Missouri. That's funny.""-Not nearly as funny as last year, when the Orange Bowl wanted KU over the North Champ Missouri. Face it MU, you are KU's b*tch.

classclown 6 years ago

I'm not complaining about anything. I simply stated I've never heard of the Insight Bowl before. There are quite a few of the minor bowls that I've never heard of as only the big time bowls get any real media attention.I hardly see how that makes me out to be some sort of snob.

arizonajayhawk 6 years ago

The insight bowl is not as prestigious as the Orange bowl. But remember J-Hawk fans how many bowl games have we played in before the Mangino era. Yes, I say era.....I just purchased my tickets!!!! Fortunately, I live down here in the desert and drive bye the Sun Devil stadium every day. ASU stadium is an awesome venue that all Jayhawks should be proud of regardless of how prestigous the bowl game is. AZ is awesome. Leave ur coats at home J-Hawks very nice down here. Bring some extra money if you plan to party in Scottsdale (Johnson co. of Az but even more expensive). Henceforth, Im glad we are playing a bowl game here because I was depressed my wife and i have to drive to KS for Christmas and will miss the KU vs UofA game. Anyone have a spare room I can sleep in if I drop my wife off at the outlaws home???? Just Joking. Rock Chalk J-Hawk.

somebodynew 6 years ago

arizonajayhawk - STHU - I it is cold back here and I know what it should be there. I spent just a little time there and yes it is beautiful and the weather is nice. Please don't rub it in. I hate cold!!! And I would offer a room in my house for your trip to Ks, but I will be sitting on a beach in Treasure Island, Fl about that time. You could join me there though.

Leprechaunking13 6 years ago

So MU and the booger eater lose 3 straight to end the season and Daniels career in college. For those Jhawks in the dry heat of AZ bragging about it get in an oven thats dry heat haha! Should be a good game no matter who we play, plenty of time to get healthy.

mr_moon 6 years ago

KU is the 7th best team in the big 12. they dont deserve anything better than the Insight.com Bowl.

chapdaddy 6 years ago

"ASU stadium is an awesome venue that all Jayhawks should be proud of regardless of how prestigous the bowl game is."Actually, I've heard the stadium is a sh*thole. "AZ is awesome. Leave ur coats at home J-Hawks very nice down here"Yes, that's what the Orange Bowl officials told us last year befor we went down to 45-50 degree weather in FL. I'm packing my coat/sweatshirts, just in case.