Archive for Thursday, August 7, 2008

Last Call loses lease as eviction lawsuit settled

The controversial downtown nightclub Last Call officially lost its license after an eviction lawsuit was settled.

August 7, 2008

The controversial downtown nightclub Last Call has officially lost its lease now that an eviction lawsuit has been settled, an attorney on the case said Thursday.

Terence Leibold, an attorney for the owners of the nightclub building at 729 N.H., confirmed that the company that operated Last Call is no longer a tenant of the building. He said a settlement was reached between the building's owners - the Park Hetzel III Trust - and the nightclub company, which is operated by Dennis Steffes.

"The case was resolved to both parties' satisfaction," Leibold said.

Leibold said he was not at liberty to discuss any other terms of the settlement.

An attempt to reach an attorney for the nightclub company - Tremors Inc. - was not successful.

The eviction case had been scheduled to go to trial on Thursday. The eviction proceedings began after a Feb. 10 incident in which three people were shot and injured outside the club. The February incident was preceded by a May 2006 incident in which seven shots were fired inside the club, although no one was injured in that shooting.

After the February shootings, Steffes voluntarily closed the club and said he would not reopen it. But he fought the eviction proceedings because he said he may want to open another type of business in the location or sublease the property to someone else.

Comments

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 11 months ago

as predictable as these cries of racism are claimed to be it ought to be easy enough for you folks making the claim to round up some examples... I'd be interested in seeing them:because, I read a lot of the comments here at the LJW and I really haven't seen many cries of racism...but... I have seen quite a few claims of cries of racism...

nobody1793 6 years, 11 months ago

On second thought, let's put a really small Wal-Mart in there!

dweezil222 6 years, 11 months ago

Amazing! Last Call is closed, and yet crime still occurs in Lawrence! Shocking, I know.

BigPrune 6 years, 11 months ago

Flea market anyone? Or, how about second hand store? It can be anything but nice and expensive. Hobbs has sat empty for over 5 years and it's nice and expensive, so, I say, antique mini mall? Storefront church?Is downtown REALLY that great for a business?

JayCat_67 6 years, 11 months ago

"Who cares? Just shout "[liberal]" everytime there's something that doesn't register in your [wing-nut] brain washed head, right. [liberal!] It's kind of fun."Neato!

supercowbellninja 6 years, 11 months ago

will be interesting to see what goes in there next - that whole block of shops seems like under-utilized real estate space, epsecially being right off Mass. and across from the lofts.

rgreene 6 years, 11 months ago

I feel like there should be a downtown grocery store. That would be ideal.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 11 months ago

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

logicsound04(Anonymous)says:Equally predictable to the cries of "racism" (which oddly have yet to surface:) is the bleeting of statements against some preconcieved and misguided notionof "liberals"Thanks invictus and Sycophant, you ignorant tools!---no! I say the Last Call was a "false flag" violence operation Dennis was operating...uh, ... to distract us all from ... eh ... well ...um ...oh, [jumps up and down] to distract us all from the scandal of the T! yeah, that's it!and, just how do people jump down after jumping up?*heard ol' denny talking about putting another club into that space! yeah, it'll be a green tea bar, with the strongest thing being a mango "health drink!" oh d--n, I guess I'm a racist for criticizing the ol' Last Call! nobody is allowed to criticize that kinda club/its music! no!

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 11 months ago

igby how would that make you a racist? unless you're racist against whites...the absolute worst of that kind of thing in this town happen a couple months back and I believe all involved were white...two dead and a minor in custody charged with two murders...

igby 6 years, 11 months ago

I must be a racist then!Guns,Drugs,Violence,Shooting minors,Letting minors in to drink liquor,Rolling gun battles on I-70 and K-10,yep!I'm a racist!Peace is good.Peace of mind is even better!

nobody1793 6 years, 11 months ago

Someone should open a dance club there.

Bob Forer 6 years, 11 months ago

Anyone who cries "racism" is a meely-mouthed pansy ass so-called "liberal" whom, if living during the height of the civil rights movment would have been too scared to particpate, but who now claims "enlightenment." These "politically correct" folks are simply unable to think for themselves, and view gansta rap as "progressive black culture" rather than the nihilistism, violence and misognoy it actually stands. There is nothing redemptive about the out-of-town thugs who hung out at the Last Call. Calling Last Call opponents "racists" is simply "reverse race hustling." And Dennis Steffes never gave a damn about his clientel. He just liked their money.

juscin3 6 years, 11 months ago

There was a dance club there back in 93'. Used to go there all the time, fun place to hang out. I think other places opened up then and it caused the business to go out.

Quigly 6 years, 11 months ago

Topeka sounds like a nice town. Maybe it will go there

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

OMG! Loggy didn't get my sarcasm, either that, or he's already forgotten how he single-handed solved the attacks on the Santa Cruz scientists! if it is the latter, Loggy is really not firing on all his cylindars! let me spell it out, I'll even type extra slow. I was taking your autistic logic Loggy from the other thread, and applying it to the violence that went on at Last Call. it was highlighting just how silly you really look. Guardian obviously got it! I think it was just a conspiracy on the part of the police department to grab the land and put a substation there.***I think we need a totally new business in that space: there's no Hooters in town; or, an old fashioned taxi dancing establishment? another possibility could be to make it a large shooting range, gun and knife club. it could have "ladies' nights; contests; shooting competitions; rhythmic shooting, where the shooter shoots with the beat of music, like Rap; and it could have a liquor license too just to keep things hopping! now, there's a great idea!

Bob Forer 6 years, 11 months ago

No, logicsound, you are the ignorant tool. I was arrested at a sit- in during the civil rights movement way before you were born. My family members were the only white folks present. We did not consider ourselves liberals. We were, and still are, radicals. And if you read above, the original_bob yelled "racism," and although it may have merely been a sarcastic comment, if you have half a brain, you would remember the numerous cries of racism from so called liberals when the city first began dealing with the Last Call problem. No, we are not the tools. We are the toolmakers. You're just too ignorant to learn the lessons of history and use the tools we created for you correctly.