Archive for Thursday, April 24, 2008

6 percent tuition increase advised

Committee’s recommendation just 1 step before number is finalized

April 24, 2008

KU students face a 6% tuition hike next year

The KU Tuition Advisory Committee has recommended that the university hike up the tuition by 6% next year. Enlarge video

The Rising Price of Tuition

In the past five years, tuition at Kansas University has doubled. It's gone up far faster than inflation, income and even the housing market. The LJWorld takes you beyond the numbers as it looks at the students and parents who have to pay for school and the professors that are made possible through the increases.

A Kansas University provost's advisory committee has recommended a 6 percent increase in tuition rates for next year, according to the minutes of a recent Faculty Senate meeting.

The advisory committee recommendation is one piece of a series of events that culminates in June with the Board of Regents approving tuition plans for all six state universities.

"It's part of the process," KU spokeswoman Lynn Bretz said. "Our tuition proposal is not finalized. The provost and chancellor will present the final proposal to the regents in May."

Before finalizing a recommendation, Provost Richard Lariviere and Chancellor Robert Hemenway will consult with the tuition committee and evaluate funding that likely will come from the state Legislature. Bretz said they'd also review data from peer institutions to see how KU's tuition rates compare.

Lariviere and Hemenway will have to balance the needs of the university against a desire by the regents to see tuition increases as low as possible. Though they declined to cap tuition increases, in February the regents left university leaders with the impression they would not look favorably on tuition increases higher than 6 percent.

At that time, Hemenway told the Journal-World he fully expected KU to present a tuition increase below 6 percent. Of course, those who are freshmen this year will see no tuition increase because their tuition level was frozen for four years.

Transfer students, as well as students who were sophomores, juniors or seniors, will be subject to the university's standard tuition rate. KU also will have to set a new guaranteed tuition rate for next year's incoming freshmen.

The regents meet May 14 and 15 and are expected to hear tuition proposals on May 15.

Comments

compmd 6 years, 8 months ago

R_C,You're absolutely right, except the legislators aren't directly causing this. We the people don't get to vote in (or out) people like Lariviere or Hemenway. Once in place, they stay in power as long as they want with very little accountability.

middleoftheroad 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree with logrithmic...the cost of everything is going up nationwide. Along with that should come an increase in funding from the state to the Regent schools. Tuition increases shouldn't happen but the cost of running the school is, without a doubt, more than it was this time last year. If the state won't support it's own schools, where is the money supposed to come from? State residents receive a "tuition break" in comparison to out of state tuition because their tax dollars are supposed to go towards the funding of state institutions - what happened to that? How is it that other states can fund more public schools and the average cost of tuition is less than Kansas which has only a few public schools?

justthefacts 6 years, 8 months ago

The cost of tution started to rise in Kansas (and everywhere else) in direct proportion to the amount of money the Legislature did not fund. The two lines are in perfect harmony; as state aid decreases, the burden on the students increases. The costs or providing services have not decreased. So someone has to pay for the services rendered. It's just a question of who; the individuals receiving the services (students/parents) or the general public (taxpayers).

Eddie Muñoz 6 years, 8 months ago

Methinks they put the wrong picture with the story on the front page.

janeyb 6 years, 8 months ago

Standford is going to waive tuition, room and board for students with family incomes under $60,000 and waive tuition for students with family incomes between $60,000 and $100000. Of course you have to have a 4.0 and a top SAT/ACT or connections to get accepted at Standford, but what top student from a low-income family isn't going to give it a try? KU is going to have to stop raising tuition and come up with ways to attract more students. I'm sure better money management, as with most state institutions, would help too.

midwest_pirate 6 years, 8 months ago

This is just ridiculous, From 2000 to now the rates for Ku have risen so much. Where is the money going? I would love to see the strat for that... I was in engineering and I have to pay a differential because apparently the rates weren't high enough. Don't get me wrong Ku is my Glorious Mother, but give us a break raising the price of tuition just to keep up with the status quo is just silly. I am almost ashamed to associate myself with the University now. Living in a time of wasteful spending, I am two semesters from completing my degree but I can't afford to go to school.. Just Silly.

simplykristib 6 years, 8 months ago

I attended KU as an out-of-state student in the mid '80s. It would be way too prohibitive for me to attend now.

BigPrune 6 years, 8 months ago

Wow, did anybody else notice that the provost's advisory committee is Asian?

stagehwk 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm not sure why that family is so happy about the tuition increase??

kujayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Let the market work. As much as I love KU, soon the value of an education will be less than the cost. Then we can all send our kids to JCCC.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 8 months ago

BigPrune (Anonymous) says:"Wow, did anybody else notice that the provost's advisory committee is Asian?"Asian, what do you mean?

Rickyonealku 6 years, 8 months ago

If your Native American, first take a class at Haskell then attend Kansas for becoming an instate student. That is if your an out of state Native American student and want to attend KU. You must have your CDIB card. Is anything going down in prices?????

Alison Roberts 6 years, 8 months ago

WOW! This is why I am still paying off my student loans... they kept hiking the tuition when I was at KU, forcing me to take out more money. Because of this... I had to take a year off just to save money so I could go back to school. Perfect timing KU! No one has any money, so why not hike the tuition.KU is a public university... pretty soon they will be getting close to some private schools. Horrible. I dont even want to imagine what tuition will be like when my kids are ready to go to college....

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 8 months ago

vavs0929 (Anonymous) says:"WOW! This is why I am still paying off my student loans: they kept hiking the...."Honestly, the state is not paying all of the expenses at KU.....

lmm 6 years, 8 months ago

Haskell sounds good.......$210 for the SEMESTER....

Godot 6 years, 8 months ago

And just a few weeks ago, national media, and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, acclaimed Kathleen Sebelius for having made obtaining a college education in Kansas "affordable."ROFLMAO!!!!!

yourworstnightmare 6 years, 8 months ago

This is simple.The state legislature has failed in its obligation to provide Kansans with low-cost, high-quality education.Without adequate state funding, these tuition increases are required.This is the "ownership" economy.Either urge the legislature to adequately fund KU, or get used to tuition increases and stop your childish carping.The budget of KU is published every year and is available to anyone in the Archives building on campus. I encourage anyone interested in investigating KU's budget to peruse this public document.