Archive for Monday, April 21, 2008

Carbon spill forces closure of Wakarusa Drive

No threat to the city’s water supply

April 21, 2008, 11:04 a.m. Updated April 21, 2008, 1:37 p.m.

A fire caused by a carbon spill outside the Clinton Water treatment plant forced emergency crews to shut down a one-mile stretch of Wakarusa Drive for a brief time this morning.

Jeanette Klamm, utilities program manager with the city of Lawrence, said the spill would not "affect the quality of drinking water at all."

Hazmat crews were called to the plant, 2101 Wakarusa Drive, shortly before 10 a.m. -- and remained on the scene for more than hours to handle periodic re-ignition of the carbon.

Carbon looks like black baby powder, Klamm said.

"Basically it gets rid of the fishy, muddy taste that would be in the water typically," she said.

Utilities director Dave Wagner said a hose ruptured on a truck unloading the carbon into a storage, sparking the initial fire.

Comments

Bookie 7 years, 1 month ago

So was it carbon tetrachloride? (That's really dangerous gunk)

Bradley Klamm 7 years, 1 month ago

Having a last name that I don't see in print very often... It makes me wonder if the utilities program manager and I may or may not be related. Small world.

BigPrune 7 years, 1 month ago

Does this mean our water is going to smell fishy? I like that smell.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 1 month ago

Carbonite Spill Forces Freezing Of Han Solo.The wookie is unharmed.

newsreader 7 years, 1 month ago

thats crazy... I use Carbon in my saltwater tank, never would have thought the city used it in drinking water too!!! learn something every day...

LogicMan 7 years, 1 month ago

"Having a last name that I don't see in print very often: It makes me wonder if the utilities program manager and I may or may not be related. Small world." (Klamm)From the Castle Gardens and Ellis Island web site, it appears that the Klamms are Volga Germans (in Russia), or possibly Vistula Germans (in then Russian Poland). Wikipedia has interesting articles on these groups, which along with other eastern Prussians, make up the majority of the Germanic settlers here in Kansas. They include the local "dunkards" (old german baptists).Give her a call! But it could be her married-name.

Sean Livingstone 7 years, 1 month ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says:"Whew. At least it wasn't Carbon Credits. Those things are valuable, you know?"Carbon credits are not as valuable as harden carbon.