Archive for Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Self ‘not a candidate’ for OSU job

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self said Tuesday, April 1, 2008, he isn't interested in the vacant coaching job at Oklahoma State.

April 2, 2008

OSU coach out, but Self will stay

A coaching change took place in the Big 12 today, and it happened at Bill Self's alma mater. Enlarge video

2008 NCAA Tournament
Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self's April 1 pre-Final Four press conference

KU coach Bill Self met with the media in Hadl Auditorium Tuesday to discuss the upcoming Final Four, in which his team is part of history, with all four one-seeds having advanced to San Antonio. Self talked in-depth about gameplanning for North Carolina, plus again denied rumors that he will leave Kansas the end of the year to take over at his alma mater for Sean Sutton, who resigned earlier in the day as the Oklahoma State men's basketball coach.

2008 NCAA Tournament

Get your March Madness fix at KUSports.com.

Asked Tuesday about the newly created basketball coaching vacancy at his alma mater, Kansas University coach Bill Self did not say: "I don't give a (bleep) about ..." On the contrary, Self said he cares "deeply" about Oklahoma State. He also made it clear he's not interested in coaching there.

"Spent 11 years of my life at OSU," Self said at a news conference conducted to discuss KU's upcoming Final Four appearance. "But nobody from there has contacted me, and if they did, I would strongly recommend they move in another direction."

On his way out of Hadl Auditorium, Self spelled it out even more clearly, saying, "I'm not a candidate."

Outgoing OSU coach Sean Sutton, whose Cowboys upset KU, 61-60, on Feb. 23, resigned under pressure Tuesday. The timing could not have been worse for the school's Big 12 brother Kansas.

School officials did their best to minimize the potential distraction.

Both Self and KU Athletic Director Lew Perkins, who share a close relationship, indicated they will meet after the season to redo the coach's contract, which already was sweetened a year ago.

"Nobody has called me from Oklahoma State, which I would assume they would have done that," Perkins said. "We're going to do everything we possibly can to have Bill be our basketball coach here for a long, long time. I see no reason why that won't happen."

Comments

napoleon969 7 years, 2 months ago

Deja vu. Where have we heard this before? My suggestion to Perkins would be if Bill Self leaves to go back and coach at his alma mater the next KU basketball coach should be Mark Turgeon, KU grad, former KU player, pretty damn good coach.

Hilary Morton 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't think Bill is gonna pull a Roy on us. I think he's happy where he is, and I don't even want to imagine having another coach.

nobody1793 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't think Turge would pull a Huggins on A&M. I guess until OSU actually hires someone, this ain't gonna go away. Someone should let T. Boone know that Kelvin's still available!

domino 7 years, 2 months ago

I know I'm probably going to get bashed for saying this but hey - it's my opinoin and you know what they way about opinions!!I really wish people, especially the media, would get over Roy Williams leaving and the continual references to his "I don't give a s**t about North Carolina." Consider the circumstances that surrounded him saying that. KU had just got beat in a heartbreaking game and all the media wanted to ask him about was the North Carolina job. He had asked several times that they not ask again and finally lost his temper. I believe, at that particular moment, his only concern was his team. Have you ever lost your temper and said something in the heat of the moment? I think most of us would have to say at some point in our lives we have - just not on national tv!It has been 5 years - get over it!! No matter if you think he screwed us over or if he did the best thing for him or if his leaving was a blessing in disguise - whatever - there is nothing the whining and bitching and complaining is going to do to change this. Holding grudges and staying mad for 5 years isn't doing anyone any good. And if you want to look at it a different way, those of you who are still upset, you aren't bothering Roy one little bit - you are only staying upset which upsets yourself.I hope that Coach Self continues on at KU, however, if the time does come that he leaves, I will wish him the best. And think about this - how do you think people felt about him when he came to KU?

just_another_ninja 7 years, 2 months ago

How selfish is it to quit OSU right now in the midst of Self's run to the top? This frustrates me to no end. Screw pressure. Sit in there and finish the job. This is just more crap that Self and the boys don't need. For once, I'm standing behind the executive staff at KU and hoping they do their part in protecting Self and the boys from this nonsense. Also... I hope the media takes a hike on this until after KU wins the National Championship.

Newcomb 7 years, 2 months ago

I wish ESPN would stop making this such an issue. They're trying to create more drama than one of those stupid-a'' MTV shows. If he's smart (and I think he is), he'll retire as a Jayhawk after loads of success.

just_another_ninja 7 years, 2 months ago

scenebooster -- good point. Still, the fact remains that OSU and those involved in this "pressure" tactic are idiots. What a great way to try and get a coach like Self! Perhaps that's why he's saying he's "not a candidate". Idiots.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 2 months ago

T. Boone is trying to swift-boat KU.One of the architects and chief funder of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, Pickens is up to his dirty tricks again. This time, messing with KU's finals four run.

tigerforlife 7 years, 2 months ago

quit whining beakers, the wig is gone as soon as KU loses to unc and roy...NO ONE stays at KU, why would you? unless greasy lew comes up with enough $$$ to keep him...but I doubt he can play in T. Boone's ballpark.i say bring in majeras, at least then you could lead the country in coaching tonage in two sports...Tarheels by double digits...

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 2 months ago

Erin Parmelee 7 years, 2 months ago

geniusmannumber1 (Anonymous) says: Geez, guys. I'm a little worried now. tigerforlife has an uncanny ability to see into the future. Look at some of his previous posts:11/1/07: "I'm predicting a pretty good year for Missouri basketball. I'm thinking that while we may not have a winning record, either in the conference or overall, and won't even be considered by the NIT, and we'll lose to Kansas multiple times, I'm pretty sure that out of the several players on our team that will be arrested, none of them will actually be convicted before the end of the season."8/18/07: "After watching this Missouri football team in practice, I'm thinking we have a pretty good team. I'm predicting we will be almost, but not quite, good enough to go to a BCS bowl game."But seriously, what is more awesome than commenting on your "rival's" hometown newspaper message board? Especially given how "great" your team has been since Norm Stewart left.---------------------------------------------------------------------Ha ha!! Brilliant post! Though I say let the Mizzou fans keep posting. It's fun to watch them hang themselves with their own rope.....

simplykristib 7 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self will stay... Lew will throw lots of money at him.

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

As long as the words "Jayhawk for life" doesn't come out of his mouth, we should be fine.

tigerforlife 7 years, 2 months ago

sorry, beaks...i shouldn't pile on in what has to be the worst week of your pathetic lives, spending six days knowing a final four beat down by the coach who spurned you awaits.now, your current coach is going to leave, and this time it will be for oklahoma friggin state...ouch.stay classy ku, wave the wheat as the wig leaves, like you do when opposing players foul out. stay proud of the BcS bowl you bought, and forget 36-28...

packs_of_wild_dogzz 7 years, 2 months ago

For wanting people to get over the whole Roy situation Domino just said the exact same thing many people have already said...over the last 5 years....talk about beating a dead horse.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 7 years, 2 months ago

Hey Tigger, your sister's in the bedroom and she's calling for ya. Now run along.

Michael Stanclift 7 years, 2 months ago

I can understand leaving Kansas for UNC, somewhat of a lateral move in the world of Basketball.But the idea of leaving Kansas for OSU would seem like a step down.I just don't see Self doing it.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

A haikuPoor little TigerHere fishing for some trouble.Very pathetic.

tigerforlife 7 years, 2 months ago

"leaving Kansas for UNC, somewhat of a lateral move"keep on kidding yourselves -- no one outside lawrence thinks KU is in a class with UNC, NO ONE.Tyler Hansbrough, another fine Missourian, is going to go for about 40 on Saturday while B. Rush does his Houdini act on basketball's biggest stage...LOL

Erin Parmelee 7 years, 2 months ago

tigerforlife (Anonymous) says: sorry, beaks:i shouldn't pile on in what has to be the worst week of your pathetic lives, spending six days knowing a final four beat down by the coach who spurned you awaits.now, your current coach is going to leave, and this time it will be for oklahoma friggin state:ouch.stay classy ku, wave the wheat as the wig leaves, like you do when opposing players foul out. stay proud of the BcS bowl you bought, and forget 36-28:------------------------------------------------------------------------Keep talking. Just like the Orange Bowl, it's even more satisfying to beat you with your own words. And while we're talking words, here's some you need to look up: "Sour grapes." Pathetic.

StirrrThePot 7 years, 2 months ago

tigerforlife:Blah blah blah No one wants to stay at Kansas blah blah 36-28 blah blah blah all I have to root for is a kid who thumbed up his nose at his home state to play at UNC because my team blows goats blah blah blahWake me when it runs out of old, predictable, rehashed material, and offs itself in a fit of self-loathing misery, will you people? Thanks in advance.

tigerforlife 7 years, 2 months ago

what did it take? three comments from me to turn this forum from comments on self leaving to all tiger bashing? thought i could do it in one or two...i must be slipping...MU has a better football team, better baseball team (does KU play the sport?) and better wrestling team (KU can't afford one) for starters...ku has a group of under-achieving mcdonald's all-americans, a coach with one foot out the door, a football coach the size of an SUV and some fugly cheerleaders...keep one thing in mind beakers, if Davidson's Curry had taken the final shot on Sunday, Self's press conference yesterday probably would have taken place in Stillwater..."I'm stayin'"...LOL

Erin Parmelee 7 years, 2 months ago

tigerforlife (Anonymous) says: what did it take? three comments from me to turn this forum from comments on self leaving to all tiger bashing? thought i could do it in one or two:i must be slipping:----------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah, that figures. If I was a MIzzou fan I'd be bored off my a$$ this week too.Honestly, I can't say I blame you. I mean, what are the other choices for Mizzou fans this time of year? No team to support.....so, I guess the only options are spend the afternoon trolling a forum of a better team or what.....bang your sister? Yeah, given those alternatives, I agree--you're better off here. Otherwise you might end up with a cross eyed baby who would no doubt end up in Columbia. :)

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm with Bob... and this kid has taken the time to put down his banjo, get off his sister and and talk to us for a while...let's cut him slack...

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 2 months ago

There's a big difference between William's and Self's homes. NC is a faraway. If you have family it's a major trip to see them. OK is a weekend trip. It would be easy to stay in Lawrence and take care of your family, and I believe family was a major factor in William's decision to leave.

blahblahblah 7 years, 2 months ago

Tigger: Tyus Edney ring a bell? That was your only shot at even reaching a final four. We've been there 6 times in the past 20 years. You have been there ZERO times.

kansas778 7 years, 2 months ago

Missouri has never had a program like KU basketball. Saying that Missou's baseball team is better or their football team is only points to a temporary situation. MU has never consistently dominated in any sport like KU's basketball team. I became a fan when I was a kid in 1991, and since then, KU has made the tournament all 18 years, never being seeded lower than 8 (and only one time that low), They have made 7 elite eights, 5 final fours, and two championship games. KU has dominated the Big 12 and has been ranked in the top 25 at some point in time in every single one of those seasons. I am fairly sure KU has best winning % (or at least top three) over that period of time in all of D-1 men's basketball. Missou can make no similar claims to any of its programs. Their baseball team is so great? Have they gone to the college world series every year? Has their football team gone to a bowl every year? Nope.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

just a few facts:KU went to the college worlds series in 1993KU was a track and field powerhouse for a number of years... winning 5 NCAA championships between 1959 and 1970...and... KU is a powerhouse in Debate... winning 4 national championships and ranks in the top four debate programs of all-time... with only Northwestern, Dartmouth and Harvard comparing in the number of National Debate Tournament appearances and wins...

janeyb 7 years, 2 months ago

'if Davidson's Curry had taken the final shot on Sunday, Self's press conference yesterday probably would have taken place in Stillwater:"It is called KU Defense. Missouri should give it a try sometime-- instead of parole and work release. KU = Orange Bowl KU = Final Four MU = mullet bowlMU = bottom four

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

on the other hand...if you run a search on "university of missouri national championships" you find that "The Golden Girls" (the cheer squad) are a powerhouse and won three national championships between the years of 1991 and 2003...

janeyb 7 years, 2 months ago

Wow! I just read somewhere about his exit package with Sprint/Nextell. Besides millions up front, he gets $84,325 for life as a retirement benefit. He spoke at my brother's graduation a few years ago (Missouri S&T). They practically knighted him there. I guess he is Missouri's most successful graduate along with John Ashcroft and the dead governor who defeated him.

fabian_zimbabwe 7 years, 2 months ago

janeyb, don't forget about Kenneth Lay...he's a Mizzou grad, too. How proud they must be of their heralded collection of misfits.

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

Friends of mine in Oklahoma told me that sports talk radio in Oklahoma City and Tulsa are reporting that Self is flying tonight or tomorrow night to Dallas on T.Boone Pickens' private jet to meet with him.

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

They said it was the Sports Animal??, I think.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

tbuckshmmm... the team is flying to San Antonia at 4 o'clock today... so... your friends are claiming that Self is going to leave the team in San Antonio and fly to Dallas to meet with Pickens?wow... unbelievable...really... unbelievable...

tigerforlife 7 years, 2 months ago

i'll write this sloooowwwlllyyy, so you un-educated inbred kansas hicks can try to read it: deliverance was about a canoe trip in GEORGIA!!! I realize literature/reading/etc. is not your cup of tea...but at least try to make your slams about the better state to the East somewhat accurate.try this (to the tune of a song in my favorite movie, sadly about the god foresaken hell hole you call a state):ding dong, the wig is gone!which old wig?bill the wig,ding dong bill the wig is gone!!pay him high, don't pay him low,big bill the wig is gone!!!now click your heels and pray to god roy doesn't keep his starters in until the buzzer this saturday night like he used to do during blowouts for kansas...

nverlost 7 years, 2 months ago

These two entries out of Merriam-Webster pretty much sum up what's behind every Tiger faithful's pshyche:JealousMain Entry: jeal¢ous 1 a: intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness b: disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness2: hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage3: vigilant in guarding a possession.EnviousEntry Word: envious Having or showing mean resentment of another's possessions or advantages Related Words; begrudging, grudging; avaricious, grasping, greedy; distrustful, suspicious; malicious, petty, spiteful Phrases; green with envy Near Antonymsgenerous, kind, kindhearted; altruistic, benevolent, charitable; well-meaning

janeyb 7 years, 2 months ago

If OSU wants Self they will wait until after the Final Four. I don't thnk he is leaving the team and flying to Dallas. If he does, it tells us a lot abut his character. Someone told me Roy William's problem at KU was he could never honestly tell a player to come to Kansas because it is the best place to play basketball. In his heart it was Kansas is the best place to play if UNC or Duke doesn't want you. After being at KU could Self tell kids to come to Oklahoma State because it is the best place to play basketball? It is maybe the best place to play after Kansas, Duke, UNC, Indiana, Arizona, Texas, on and on and on. I guess he could say come to OSU, because it beats the hell out of playing at Missouri.

BigAl 7 years, 2 months ago

Kansas went to the Orange Bowl and now they have a team in the Final Four. Missouri is always looking up to Kansas. No wonder this tigerforlife guy is so obsessed with Kansas. What a sad little life this guy must have.

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't think Dallas is that long a flight from San Antonio on a private jet. You'd think that Pickens would just fly to San Antonio, instead, though.

tigerforlife 7 years, 2 months ago

"always looking up to ku?"did any of you jaysquawks happen to see the final football polls? or were you drunk on orange juice? let's not confuse the truth for sake of a good story...

BigAl 7 years, 2 months ago

Kansas - BCS BowlMissouri - Not so muchKansas - Final FourMissouri - No tournament.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

Don't blame OSU for this. The later the "firing" the harder it is to find a coach willing to leave. And don't ever take a coach at there word, it's all a business. In the end, his agent will hear how much OSU will pay him, that agent will tell that amount to Perkins, and a new contract will be sitting on Bill Self's desk. But what if OSU offers a "Nick Saban contract" of 4M a year for 8 years? That kind of cash gets would make anyone think?

davidsmom 7 years, 2 months ago

I doubt Bill would leave the team to fly to Dallas...he would not subject himself or his team or his chances to that kind of distraction. The guy who is claiming this has nothing to back it up. And the Missouri fans who keep claiming Kansas basketball is "underachieving" must be mentally challenged. Winning 50 conference titles and numerous trips to the Final Four (three times in the past six years, counting this year) is not "underachieving." How many schools have that kind of record? Just because we don't have multiple national championships doesn't equate to "underachieving." Go to www.ncaa.com and look at statistics. The top three all-time winningest Div. 1 mens' basketball programs are (1) Kentucky (2) North Carolina, and (3) Kansas. Underachieving? I'm still scratching my head over that assessment.

davidsmom 7 years, 2 months ago

Kansas was the only school in the country to have both football and basketball ranked in the Top 10 at the end of the season. That's a nice achievement.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 7 years, 2 months ago

"keep on kidding yourselves - no one outside lawrence thinks KU is in a class with unc, no one."..............................................................................................Is that right? go read the unc forums...they all say unc needs to be at the top of their game to win, and most are saying unc/ku IS the national championship game. Funny thing is, good programs recognize good programs. Crappy programs sit at home and post the same old boring sh*t about a team they wish they could be like.

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

Update. Pickens is flying to San Antonio tomorrow night, according to a top donor at OSU, as stated by Dean Blevins on the radio.

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

I've been a long time fan of KU, but I remember when Self was at Tulsa when they got to the elite eight. Tulsa donors came up with a million dollars and an annuity to keep him and beat back a thrust by Nebraska . After agreeing to stay, a week later he was gone to Illinois. Money talks, and rumors are that Pickens will beat any price, even up to 4 million for him.

davidsmom 7 years, 2 months ago

This was part of an interview with Cindy Self on KUsports.com on 12-29-07:Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?A: I hope we are putting two children through college and living right here in Lawrence.

davidsmom 7 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the correction of the Conference Titles number. Tonight I happened to be reading a program book from this year and saw the #50, so I knew that I'd been wrong. They've got a really outdated t-shirt at Kansas Sampler that says 49, so I guess that's why thought this year was 50.

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

I'd take whatever Dean Blevins says with a grain of salt. My folks live in Oklahoma and I used to, and he played football at OU and is a big time OU homer. He would downplay anything about OSU.

davidsmom 7 years, 2 months ago

Does Pickens even "officially" represent the University? Why on earth would Bill Self even agree to spend time visiting with him when he's trying to prepare himself mentally and his team for one of the most important games of their lives? I hope and believe Bill has more good sense than that. If Pickens does go to San Antonio, I hope Bill refuses to even talk to him, and I hope later he tells OSU and Pickens what he thinks of them for their timing. If they really care about him, why would they do this now?

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

i don't know that he "officially" represents OSU, but he has the check book. My understanding is that he wanted to meet with Self without agents, just to talk. And Self is not refusing to talk to him, apparently.

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

And you know, we've been through this before, with roy williams, the traitor. Plus, Self did not exactly say no, absolutely no, at the press conference.

ranger73 7 years, 2 months ago

It would be a real shame if all the gossip about T Boon Nose Picker trying to wave money at Coach right now is true. Really shows that even money doesn't buy class.That being said, if Coach does go to OSU, GUARANTEED every year when they play KU it would be very very ugly.Again, just once would like to be able to enjoy a KU Final Four run without having to worry about the other soap opera moments that seem to accompany KU the last couple of times.Go Hawks-KU 87 UNC 81

tbucks 7 years, 2 months ago

i guess we should be flattered that everyody wants our coaches. money and security are big issues. and pickens obviously wants osu to win, so i doubt if it being ugly would be that big a concern for him.