Archive for Friday, March 16, 2007

Lawrence police officer involved in shooting will not face charges

March 16, 2007

Lawrence police officer involved in shooting will not face charges

A Lawrence police officer who shot and killed an armed woman in September will not face criminal charges. Enlarge video

Comments

smitty 7 years, 1 month ago

He e-mailed me about wanting to do a story on the Sevier death just before he left. Like Ric Anderson? But of course that had nothing to do with the price of the JW local coverage.

dthroat 7 years, 1 month ago

yellowhouse - thank you. my day is complete now. BTW - Ron Knox left - and very suddenly. No one will tell me exactly why.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

I see yellowhouse continues to drag dead horses over from larryville.

smitty 7 years, 1 month ago

From the article printed today, it is reported that the second shot went to the leg not the head. Where did the third bullet go?

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

"Posted by smitty (anonymous) on March 17, 2007 at 7:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Can one officer arme3d with a rifle get tqwo shotw off accurately enough to make a hit to the face and the body?"

Hell yeah, man! I was re-playing "GoldenEye" on the Nintendo 64 the other day and I got a 96% head shot percentage. . . and the only miss was the Russian Agent I shot in the knee to make him lean over in pain, so I could then get the headshot.

How much harder could it be in real life?

By the way, you type too fast.

Apparently.

yellowhouse 7 years, 1 month ago

HEY dthroat Just to keep your life interesting here is another one of my annoying story links...you wont see this story in the Journal World....and where did RON KNOX go?

yellowhouse 7 years, 1 month ago

Squire is a police officer, he is sworn to uphold the law, and most police officers go into this job hoping to make a difference, not kill someone.

I think that being involved in the shooting of this beautiful young woman would be a horrible thing to have to live with. It is something he will carry with him the rest of his life, justified or not..its done and at this point its between him and God.

But if you werent there then you cannot possibly understand the position he was in when he had the need to fire that gun or what he is going through from having to make that decision.

This is just one part of a very difficult, unappreciated dangerous job.

smitty 7 years, 1 month ago

Can one officer arme3d with a rifle get tqwo shotw off accurately enough to make a hit to the face and the body? Perhaps the citizens police academy will explain to some our citizens. Of course it will be a guarded explanation with no ability to examine the truth of the statements.

Michael Capra 7 years, 1 month ago

the cop did what he could do what a shame all the way around

smitty 7 years, 1 month ago

dthroat, pay attention!

For years I have taken the stand that the street officers are placed in jeopardy both physically and emotionally by administrative decisions.

The only references to the past I make are always relevent to the current events by showing the correlation to the recent past(16 years ago April 21).

We've now have dna allowing for the release of convicted(erroneously) rapist, race related murders from the 50-60's now convicted, war criminals brought in front of the courts too. So my concerns are within reason.

However your uninformed ignorant rants are exactly that, ignorant. Get over yourself.

Drifter 7 years, 1 month ago

Squire murdered Marsha Mace

dthroat 7 years, 1 month ago

Wow, Smitty - pretty tame post for you. No direct reference to events 20+ years ago or conspiracy theories. Good Job.!! BTW- I don't know for certain, but I assume since any investigation is over the coroner's report should be unsealed and filed with the clerk of the district court, as most are.

I think all we need here is a post from yellowhouse linking us to some unrelated (untruthful) information on another site. Or how about just a poem????? gotta miss those.

smitty 7 years, 1 month ago

Will the autopsy be available to the public so they can see if she was indeed shot in the face and the body by "one" officer? Now there is a current event article for you JW reporter Ron Knox. Or maybe it is just too soon after the event for public consumption?

dthroat 7 years, 1 month ago

I just wish the LJW would have WRITTEN an article about this instead of just posting Ch. 6 video (which I can't get to work). I enjoy READING when I look at a NEWSPAPER.

DownHomeDude 7 years, 1 month ago

Squire did what he had to do. "Ya gotta with live it though!" Thats what Detective Kelly Otis of the Wichita Police Department once told me about the officer-in -involved shootings he had been in.

DownHomeDude 7 years, 1 month ago

Squire did what he had to do. "Ya gotta live it though!" Thats what Detective Kelly Otis of the Wichita Police Department once told me about the officer-in -involved shootings he had been in.