Archive for Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Veterans lead protest march against Iraq war

June 26, 2007

Vickie Goetz, center, listens to speakers during an anti-war vigil put on by the Kansas City chapter of Iraq Veterans Against the War and local anti-war groups Monday evening in South Park. At least 100 people marched down Massachusetts Street to South Park to take part in the protest.

Iraq Veterans Against the War, along with local anti-war groups, march south down Massachusetts Street to South Park. The group staged a candlelight vigil and had speakers in South Park Monday evening.

Anti-war protesters march through downtown Lawrence

Approximately 120 anti-war protesters marched through downtown Lawrence this evening, briefly shutting down traffic as they call for an end to the war in Iraq. Enlarge video

Opponents of the war in Iraq paraded down Massachusetts Street on Monday night and then lit candles in South Park while calling for the troops to be brought home.

"We have to speak out," said Rupert Pate, a Lawrence resident and veteran of the Vietnam War.

The protest was led by Mike Sanger, an Iraq war veteran who along with two other veterans recently started the Kansas City chapter of a national organization called Iraq Veterans Against the War.

"Everybody needs to be united to put an end to this madness," said Sanger, who was dressed in desert camouflage pants, a black T-shirt and a desert boonie hat.

At least 100 people walked to the park after watching a screening of a movie earlier in the evening at Liberty Hall. The movie, titled "Sir! No Sir!" is about servicemen who spoke out against the Vietnam War.

Sanger said the U.S. is likely to be in Iraq for decades while following the same plan the country has used in South Korea.

"Mark my words, I will fight the battle until the last troops are out of Iraq," said Sanger, who said he was an Army military police officer who served in Iraq in 2003.

Among those at the protest was Anne Pritchett, of Overland Park, a member of an organization called United for Peace and Justice. She said Oct. 27 has been selected as a national day of protest against the war. And starting in September, there will be a movement to launch a consumer moratorium aimed at the oil industry. The moratorium will be on the third Friday of every month, she said.

Some in the crowd spoke out against U.S. Rep. Dennis Moore, D-Kan., who represents the eastern half of Lawrence, for supporting the war.

"He's no different than (President) Bush," called out one protester.

The anti-war rally was organized by Iraq Veterans Against War, Kansas Mutual Aid of Lawrence and the Lawrence Coalition for Peace and Justice.

Sanger said afterward he hopes to return to Lawrence for similar marches and rallies in the future and be joined by more disgruntled Iraq veterans.

Comments

Patriot2 6 years, 9 months ago

It's coming to our shores::: Listen carefully and you will hear it::. It's all over the news:::. And it's not the sound of the ocean that you think your hear when you put that sea shell up to your empty heads! What right do you have to suggest that "right wingers" want war? No body wants war. We would all like to have our soldiers home to defend our shores.
Do you get nervous when the anniversary of a tragedy approaches? You should. Do you consider not going to that ball game or concert because there is going to be a large group of people present and the possibility of something catastrophic may happen? You should. Are you, in the back of your mind, thankful that the was is::.over there:..out of sight out of mind. You probably are. What have you done personally to stop the war? Not protest it, but actually stop it? Anything? GWB needs a Monica so everyone will turn their attention so he can do the job that needs to be done but no one wants to know about.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 9 months ago

Speaking for myself as a right wing fanatic, I am proud to have veterans bravely protesting the war. I am a coward and hide behind my keyboard and let others speak out. I have no excuse....I have nothing to say in defense and I am a pathetic, unpatriotic GWB worshiping fanatic.

rockclimber057 6 years, 9 months ago

Mr Mike Sanger, I have known you since 1988 and I know that you are one of the most sincere people I've ever met. I know some of what you went through in Iraq from the stories you told me and the letters we received from you. Seeing the pain that you have to live with is difficult, and I see that pain in my brother as well. I don't know the answers but I definitely see a paradigm shift happening and it is starting slowly, almost underground, but picking up speed. I see this with the popularity of Ron Paul (R) and his view being different than the status quo. I'm sure there are and will be others on both sides of the isle that will help us through this mess we are in. I know that you want the best for your fellow soldiers and their family's and I wish you luck in your quest! Best wishes from AZ, Dave

Martin_D_15 6 years, 9 months ago

why are lefties such whiney morons?

I_AM_AN_ANARCHIST 6 years, 9 months ago

a whole day without right-wingers saying anything about those "berkenstock-wearing, unemployed, unwashed, pot-smoken hippies." I think this is so much proof that they know they are wrong. This story didn't end up on the most discussed or the most viewed because the rightwingers who troll this site all day long read it and ignored it waiting for it to go away and not embrass them anymore .It did spawn the question of the day about veteran opinions of the war. Next time we have a protest without an IVAW member they will bring up the old stereotypes. COWARDS!

max1 6 years, 9 months ago

"It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell." -William Tecumseh Sherman

Kontum1972 6 years, 9 months ago

its always the same song and dance with every clown who enters the WH...lets go start something somewhere....war is big business..the only reason wea re not going big time in africa is that china has its foothold there..they buy all that oil from them.....those are chinese AK 47s..u can tell by the color of the wood on the stocks.

My nick is Kontum1972..i was there,... it was the beginning of the end for american involvement in SeA...i was 20, flying Hueys. obtw where was GB...mb drunk somewhere...

we just dont get it...war mongers!

greyheim 6 years, 9 months ago

yep, curiously, none of the rwing fanatics have a single word to say about this. funny how that works.

Mkh 6 years, 9 months ago

Great, so where were all of you guys back in 2002 and then in 2003 when we could have got the troops back home?

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful for them coming forward to protest, but it's all too little too late folks. We 'crossed the Rubicon' a long time ago.

I_AM_AN_ANARCHIST 6 years, 9 months ago

I enjoy that the right wing republicans have yet to comment on this story. Because what can you say against someone that has served in Iraq and comes back to speak out against it? Where are the comments that just a year ago said they should sick dogs on protesters?

see what else IVAW has done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WvIaD...

75x55 6 years, 9 months ago

oh, scenie - that's a slippery slope.... :)

Oracle_of_Rhode 6 years, 9 months ago

Folks, in this article meet some REAL American patriots.

scenebooster 6 years, 9 months ago

"Key GOP senator says Iraq strategy not working In blow to Bush, Lugar calls for new approach that downsizes military's role"

scenebooster 6 years, 9 months ago

Well, I myself would agree with you 75x55...

75x55 6 years, 9 months ago

Who better to protest than those that have been there?

small_fish_in_small_pond 6 years, 9 months ago

Armed revolution is the only answer now.

In otherwords, oppose the war with violence? That makes alot of sense!!!

scenebooster 6 years, 9 months ago

How long will it take for a post that will attempt to say that these vets are some how actually not vets, but commie pinkos who hate America?

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet....

Linda Endicott 6 years, 9 months ago

My mother used to say, a long time ago, that if the leaders of all the countries were the ones who had to wage the war, and go fight to the death, there would suddenly be a lot fewer wars...

EXks 6 years, 9 months ago

I wish the troops in Iraq could be REPLACED by the chicken-hawk never served career political hacks, from the state house to the white house, so that the real heros could come home to their families. Perhaps then there would be an actual plan to end President Cheney's & W's oil war.

freeordie 6 years, 9 months ago

Good luck. You will be marginalized and descredited with tired stereotypes. Armed revolution is the only answer now.

small_fish_in_small_pond 6 years, 9 months ago

WHat we need to do is organize a massive rally in Washington....That would have a big effect.