Archive for Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Body found near Turnpike

Person identified, but cause of death still under investigation

August 7, 2007

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of 27-year-old Mitch Staab of Minnesota, whose body was found around 1:49 a.m. Tuesday below the Kansas Turnpike, about a mile east of the East Lawrence exit.

An investigation continues to determine the cause of death, and no other details were released.

Comments

lfritz 6 years, 8 months ago

Mitch and i have been friends for the last 15 yrs. He is an awsome guy with a huge heart that would help anyone out. Thats how he passed away, he was helping someone.. This guy was one of the coolest people i have ever known. I feel like a big part of me is missing now the one guy who has been there for me in good times and bad. The one guy i could count on to always be there is gone and i'm a little lost without him here. He was going to be a dad in a few weeks. He was so excited and i was to for him and Lindsay. Annabelle all of you dad's friends will be here for you to help you learn everything you can about him.. He loved you more than you will ever know, I will always be there for that little girl because mitch was always there for me. Lindsay if there is anything i can do for you, i will!!! Mitch i just want you to know that i love you and will never ever forget you. You will always be in my heart and prayers and i will miss you like no other..Until i see you again Mitch Peace out!!!

rebecca81 6 years, 8 months ago

Anna, we have heard many wonderful stories about you and your son, and I am sorry for you both that you have lost Mitch. Please send our love and thoughts to the Staab family as they grieve, and let Erica know especially that we love her. It has been nice to read some of the wonderful things that have been written about Mitch. He touched many hearts in South Carolina as well!

annamf 6 years, 8 months ago

Mitch was an individual who will be deeply missed by all that knew him. He was very excited about becoming a father in September. He was also a big influence on my 5-year-old son, and I do not know how to break it to him. Mitch was also the type of person who would do anything for anyone, as in the way he died. His little girl is going to miss out on one of the worlds greatest dads. My thoughts and prayers go to Lindsey and the baby, and his whole family.

John Spencer 6 years, 8 months ago

leadrain (Anonymous) says:

heysoos: Stop trying to speed-read. Looks like it's spelled right to me. Although it is a gas to give the editors guff, at least do it so they don't read your qoute and comment silently about your intelligence. Best of everything to his survivors.

leadrain, stop speed typing while giving someone grief about noticing typo's. I am pretty sure "qoute" should be spelled q u o t e. :-)

Lynn731 6 years, 8 months ago

What a horrible way to find out about a friend's death. You have my sympathy Jenny. Mitch's family as well. Even if they find out what happened, that won't bring him back. Thank You, Lynn

jennyplatt03 6 years, 8 months ago

This breaks my heart to read. Im friends with mitch and from his town. my heart goes to his baby, his girlfriend, and his family. I love you Mitch!

Jenwa 6 years, 8 months ago

The car submerged in the river was stolen from James Gang Automotive this morning.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Thanks Gootsie. I would've probably found that had I not been too lazy to look.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

oh that, well you know, in this heat the car got a little warm and needed some coolin' off.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 8 months ago

"Off topic, but I first joined the LJW forums after reading a discussion (read: pissing match) between two long gone posters..." Jesus

Don't be so sure. Ignorant posters have infinite lives on here. Change their name and back with their act.

":clearly, you are intellectually superior to both of them."

I'm housebroken, anyway. Sometimes.

nlf78 6 years, 8 months ago

I read on kansascity.com that the police are also investigating a partially submerged car in the river, by the 8th St boat dock. Anyone know about that?

heysoos 6 years, 8 months ago

TOB, I'm glad you got the joke...

Off topic, but I first joined the LJW forums after reading a discussion (read: pissing match) between two long gone posters who were arguing about the level of religious offense that should be drived from a poster's screenname. I jumped right in and not a one of them picked up on my game...clearly, you are intellectually superior to both of them.

Pywacket 6 years, 8 months ago

leadrain~ they CHANGED it after heysoos's post. YOU are the one who should not be so trigger happy. You owe him an apology if you are a big enough person.

Gootsie 6 years, 8 months ago

acg-

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office has identified the victim of Sunday's drowning at Clinton Lake. Lawrence resident James Michael Whitaker, 33, was at a family gathering with six other people Sunday in Bloomington Park, on the lake's southwest side, near the Clinton Lake Museum, when he went under the water.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of bodies being found, anyone know if they released the identity of the poor unfortunate soul that drowned at Clinton the other day?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 8 months ago

Jesus - I saw it as well, on my first go through of the article. Came back to see if there was any new details.

heysoos 6 years, 8 months ago

leadrain, the editors changed it, presumably after reading my post.

Gootsie 6 years, 8 months ago

leadrain, perhaps they corrected it before you saw it? I know it's hot, but there's no cause to be so mean.

leadrain 6 years, 8 months ago

HEYSOOS: Stop trying to speed-read. Looks like it's spelled right to me. Although it is a gas to give the editors guff, at least do it so they don't read your qoute and comment silently about your intelligence. Best of everything to his survivors.

Motivation 6 years, 8 months ago

Such horrible news...and for a new daddy as well. My heart tears when I see so much negative in my old hometown. I pray for quick justice on this case.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

seems like nothing but bad news around here lately. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

thomgreen 6 years, 8 months ago

If it's the same Mitch Staab, his myspace says he's going to be a dad in September. What a shame. Thoughts go out to the family.

heysoos 6 years, 8 months ago

LJW editors--his last name is spelled Staab, not Stabb.

DonQuipunch 6 years, 8 months ago