Advertisement

Archive for Monday, October 30, 2006

Fire displaces residents

October 30, 2006

Advertisement

An apartment fire in southwest Lawrence displaced residents in two apartments and forced the evacuation of the building for about an hour Sunday.

The fire at building B of Park 25 Apartments, 2430 W. 25th St., began about 5 p.m. after a pan was left on a stove burner, said Doug Green, a battalion chief for Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical.

The fire then spread to the kitchen cabinets and walls, but firefighters were able to stop it.

The building was evacuated so firefighters could inspect for smoke and carbon monoxide fumes, Green said.

Green said residents of the apartment and an apartment directly below were displaced because of smoke and water damage. He said the damage in the downstairs apartment was minimal.

The fire caused about $8,000 damage, Green said.

Residents in both apartments had alternate places to stay while damage was repaired and power was restored to that wing of the complex, Green said.

The Red Cross is providing assistance to the displaced residents.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.