Archive for Thursday, October 26, 2006

Traveling preachers’ messages cause stir

October 26, 2006

Two traveling preachers wearing anti-homosexual T-shirts and preaching anti-homosexual sermons withstood jeers from hundreds of students Wednesday afternoon on Wescoe Beach at Kansas University.

The gathering started about 11 a.m. when students walking across campus spotted the two men.

Michael Venyah and Chris Lemieux said they travel across the country and often stop on campuses as part of Soul Winners Ministries International.

At Wescoe Beach, Venyah stood up, held a Bible and shouted various messages condemning homosexuals and people who practice other religions, telling them to "repent of their sins."

"I'm really happy everybody's kind of out here making a mockery of this, which is what it is," said Rob Conard, a freshman from Overland Park.

Conard, who said he was Roman Catholic, at one point stood next to Venyah and criticized him for not preaching a message of "love your neighbor."

Lemieux said he and his preaching partner try to reach "all nonbelievers," and that they often face such opposition. The two made an unannounced visit to KU, he said.

"Because that's one of the sins that people are committing on campuses, and that really divides people on whether they are following Jesus Christ or not," Lemieux said of the pair's anti-homosexual message.

He said Wednesday afternoon that two people on campus told him they supported the message.

But with most in dissent, a few students held rainbow flags while others shouted to drown out Venyah's message.

Michael Venyah, a traveling minister, shouts messages condemning homosexuals and preaching to  non-Christians while surrounded by hundreds of jeering Kansas University students Wednesday.

Michael Venyah, a traveling minister, shouts messages condemning homosexuals and preaching to non-Christians while surrounded by hundreds of jeering Kansas University students Wednesday.

"I really don't believe I'm going to hell for being a homosexual. It's just not going to happen," said Brock Horner, a KU freshman from Shawnee. "I'm sorry, but I was made this way for a reason."

According to the ministry's Web site, Soul Winners is based in East Lansing, Mich. They began an eight-month tour to 27 states and 64 campuses in September. Lemieux said they often get donations for their travels.

Lemieux also said he had never heard of the Rev. Fred Phelps Sr. or the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka. The Westboro group has gained national notoriety for its anti-homosexual picketing at funerals of fallen soldiers and others across the country.

Conard said he believed some KU students were sensitive about the anti-homosexual message Wednesday because Phelps is from Kansas.

Hundreds of students had crowded around the steps to watch and made signs to block Venyah's face from view. At one point, someone threw a condom onto Venyah's shoulder, but he continued.

"They shouldn't throw things at him because then they are fighting hate with hate," said Chris Thomas, an Overland Park sophomore who said he was gay.

Overall, Thomas called the preachers "sad" and was glad so many students opposed them.

At least three KU Public Safety officers monitored the crowd. Capt. Schuyler Bailey said no one was arrested or injured during the hourslong protest.

Comments

LawrenceRes 8 years, 2 months ago

I am not one who studies the bible. I do not have much interest in preaching hate and intolerance and then hiding behind a bible and calling myself a good Christian. However isn't the bible one of the most contradicting, bloody, and gruesome books of all time? Wasn't it written some 300 years after the death of Christ? And wasn't it determined by man what books would be put into the bible and what would not? Seems to me the contents of the bible are simply a compilation of the opinions of the people centuries ago who put the book together. And history has shown us that what we believed centuries ago has changed over time. Do you diehards still believe the world is flat? Come on. Correct me if I am wrong, but please don't preach to me.

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

couranna1, the gospels that weren't included were written well past the life of Jesus and the apostles, thus the authenticity was completely doubted. The four gospels there are from different points of view and won't exactly line up.

opinion 8 years, 2 months ago

LawrenceRes,

You asked a lot of common questions about the Bible. Short answer is that most of what you question is false. This forum is really not conducive to discussing the facts of the Bible - too many in the peanut gallery toss "bombs" at everything that is stated supporting the Bible and detract from sincere discussion. The sad part is that they believe they have really come up with questions that diminish the beauty and truth of Scripture. Most of these bombs are sophomoric at best. I have not yet seen a "bomb" that has not been addressed in even the most basic books on apologetics.

I believe you are sincere in your questions. I would therefore suggest you go to a good bookstore and pick up a few books on the so called difficulties of the Bible.

terrapin2 8 years, 2 months ago

Gee, times have changed. When I was a kid going to church and Sunday school they taught us about peace and love, and that we are all God's children, including all gays & lesbians. And we were taught that God loves us all equally, and that no matter what sins you commit in your life if you repent and accept God into your life you can still be saved and be accepted into heaven. After all, we ALL sin at some point in our lives, right? Doesn't the Bible tell us that we are fallable humans who are prone to sin, and that's why we needed Jesus to die for our sins? It really burns me when Christian zealots (like these guys and Phelps' crazy crew) start talking about the 'chosen few' who have 'earned' their right to go to heaven. All too often those zealots are using/abusing the Christian religion for their own gain and in a way that Jesus would have despised.

oldgoof 8 years, 2 months ago

"Lemieux also said he had never heard of the Rev. Fred Phelps Sr. or the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka" .. As someone said in the Kline-Morrison thread yesterday: "I guess he doesn't read newspapers."

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

Lovely quote, Kodiac.

sublime, you are ignorant, bigoted, and REALLY bad at punctuation and grammar.

Whoever said that this idiot preacher is in the closet, the closet can keep him. We don't want him. These losers are lucky to be alive and unharmed. Pity. Kudos to the students for not killing them.

hockmano 8 years, 2 months ago

I meant don't promote hate, thank you very much!

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

heysoos, read John 3:15-20. You too can be assumptive of being amongst the chosen. It's not hard.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

"homosexuals will not enter heaven.Niether will adulters,drunkards,or murderers."

I'm with you on the adulters and murderers, but where in scripture does it state that "drunkardness" and "homosexulaity" are sins? The same place it says that wearing mixed fibers, eating pork, being active on Saturdays, and women and children talking without being spoken to are sins? Certainly christ never made reference to "drunkardness" and "homosexuality".

This is cafeteria christianity.

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

heysoos, not to try and argue but stating ones beliefs and stands on the morality detailed in the bible isn't being hypocritical or criticizing. And trust me, I know there is a log in my eye and with Christ's help, we are pulling it out.

prioress 8 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps hell (or at least purgatory) is an endless sentence to read and respond to all the posts on the LJW?

promitida 8 years, 2 months ago

Jesus died for our sins correct? If so, why are you saying Sublime, and that anyone who has sinned isn't going to Heaven? What did he die for then? You're contradicting your own beliefs.

heysoos 8 years, 2 months ago

craigers- I have read it. Many times.

Still, funny how often the log in one's own eye is ignored when criticizing those who may not share your faith or belief set.

jcantspell 8 years, 2 months ago

Some Christian want there cake and eat it to So they combine the Old Testament with the new That way they can judge people condemn people and start wars And when they die they can go hang out with the prince of peace Oh and Jesus was a Jewish and he died a Jewish and he never stopped being Jewish So maybe Christian should call them self's Jews

urthlvr 8 years, 2 months ago

God Loves You some restrictions apply

(saw it on a bumper sticker)

also, for those who damn gays and lesbians-who are you to questions why your god made them gay and lesbian?

number3of5 8 years, 2 months ago

Jonas:

I am not doing the condemning, God has already done that in his word, the Bible.

ranger73 8 years, 2 months ago

Nice Star Trek reference Kodiac!

Mr. Ramirez- Still going hot today! Tiger shrimp? Spaghetti Monster?

LMAO!

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, please...they never heard of Phred? With all the national exposure his cult has had?

What a lame excuse...

jcantspell 8 years, 2 months ago

Yha! Quit pointing fingers and use those fingers to help people Jesus would appreciate it

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey smitty! Need a link? try reading the bible.

NEWMAN 8 years, 2 months ago

t obviously doesn't take much to get folks riled up. Two nutjobs acting crazy. I see that in Lawrence everyday. Ignore it and these two guys have no audience.

I agree with the original BOB. I grew up here. If you don't pay attention to them they just go away. Sure they don't know who Phelps is. Who Cares. This world is full of nut jobs. They just give some of them rental cars.

number3of5 8 years, 2 months ago

Anyone who believes in the Bible as God's word can read for him/herself that homosexuallity is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. This is why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. Homosexuals are not born that way. There is something in their life that causes them to choose this lifestyle. No one can prove otherwise. God would not make such abominations. But, Satan and his followers would.

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

Lawrenceres, the books of the new testament were written during the apostles/disciples lifetime. They were put together in the "bible" much later, but the books were written long before that.

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

You have clearly missed the point I was trying to make.(promitida)Thats not what I was saying.We all sin,I know I do.We must seek forgiveness for our sins.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

3of5? No one can prove otherwise? Such as saying, say, that god does or does not exist, or that homosexuals ARE born that way? What's wrong with chalking one up to, well "hell maybe we just simply don't understand it yet?" My personal read is that, then, we should wait until we do before we condemn, but you certainly don't have to share that viewpoint. But being so certain because of a total lack of concrete proof ONE WAY OR THE OTHER is rather absurd, so I opine.

opinion 8 years, 2 months ago

hockmano,

"And you shouldn't go around telling people they will end up in hell for being a gay, drunken, murderer etc...All religions no matter what their beliefs should just teach people to accept people as they are. You can't change someone that doesn't want to be changed!!!!!"

Please don't "force your beliefs on me".

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

oh yeah, and just for balance. . . .

Xeno: I think a lot of good things would go away if Christianity died, and the teachings of Jesus were totally lost. Have you ever considered that you see a warped, crooked religion because you only allow yourself to see or recognize the bad committed by a segment of its followers?

At any rate, do you have an alternative to fill the voids that Christianity, and religion in general, fills in the human population and condition? If you do, put in on the line and we'll debate IT'S merits for a thread or so.

ksmoderate 8 years, 2 months ago

These are the type of christians who send their gay little brothers, sisters, and cousins off to a camp to be "cured" of their gayness.

HELLO!

You can't cure anyone of gayness just as you can't cure anyone of being a heterosexual.

Bi-sexuals excluded, of course. Ahem.

This is supposedly a free country, so people should be allowed to thump their bibles as much as they want--no matter how much it flummoxes those of us who want to be left alone to believe what we want to believe.

lovenhaight 8 years, 2 months ago

As children we have imaginary friends, but as we reach adolesence we can no longer have them because it would be seen as "crazy". Why then is it ok for adults to have imaginary friends, as long as its the same one, and preach at others about what their imaginary friend says, and not be seen as crazy?

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 2 months ago

But don't force your beliefs on others!

So should we outlaw public protests as well? I believe in freedom of speech.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

Pork-eaters will got to hell, as well as those who wear cotton and silk clothing.

Repent, pork-eaters and wearers of cotton and silk.

Calliope877 8 years, 2 months ago

I think anyone self-righteous enough to say, "These people are going to hell" are committing a sin. It's very possible that they may end up in hell themselves for believing that they speak for God. I hope he/she/it isn't the type of God who appreciates it when his followers believe they have the place to judge others to damnation when it's clearly God's job to do this.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm. I wonder what Venyah's shirt is made from (in the photo)? Cotton, mayhaps.

Venyah is a sinner and is going to burn in hell for his transgressive sinning.

Solti 8 years, 2 months ago

Very well said, 3of5: "Anyone who believes in the Bible as God's word can read for him/herself that homosexuallity is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. This is why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. Homosexuals are not born that way. There is something in their life that causes them to choose this lifestyle." Just a few short years ago, homosexuality was a crime!!!! Now look how far our nation has come. :(

promitida 8 years, 2 months ago

I didn't miss the point, I just called you out on the fact that you weren't making sense.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

3of5: "I am not doing the condemning, God has already done that in his word, the Bible"

Can you. . . prove that?

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

Xenophonschild-WOW!! You really are lost.I just hope you wake up before judgement day.I will keep you in my prayers.

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

We all need Jesus.Jesus died for all our sins.Its true ,homosexuals will not enter heaven.Niether will adulters,drunkards,or murderers.Sin is sin any way you slice it.We all need to turn from our wicked ways.Don't refuse the gift that God has given.That gift is salvation.The way you live in this life will determine where you spend eternity............

hockmano 8 years, 2 months ago

GROW UP PEOPLE!

I think you can be religious,( christian, muslim, hindu,) whatever.... BUT you should not try to force your own beliefs on anyone! And you shouldn't go around telling people they will end up in hell for being a gay, drunken, murderer etc...All religions no matter what their beliefs should just teach people to accept people as they are. You can't change someone that doesn't want to be changed!!!!! I as a christian know alot of different people gay, straight, all races and religions but the key is I live by my own beliefs but I can't enforce them on every person I meet! I try to treat everyone with the respect that they deserve as a human being not by whether they are a sinner or not.

Sandra Willis 8 years, 2 months ago

This is the same old arguement I've been hearing since i was 17 (which was 21 years ago now). Nobody will admit that the Bible was written by Men, and has been altered since by other Men. No one living person can Know the Will of God. To say otherwise makes them foolish.

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

Solti and 3of5, Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of their wickedness, not just homosexuality. God couldn't find one righteous man there. It did play a role, but that isn't the whole reason. You are doing us all a disservice by saying things like that. These preachers, if they were going to isolate sin, they do it with sexual sins, not just homosexuality. I do agree that people that continue to live a life of sin, whether they are homosexuals or straight will not make it to heaven. Yes God did make it a select few that will go. Am I saying I don't fall short? Not at all, but I recognize my faults and pray to work on them daily as to become more Christ-like everyday. One of the foundations of Christianity is repentance and that is asking for forgiveness of your sins and then letting Christ do His work in you to change.

I don't think Christians should back down from saying homosexuality is wrong, but I also don't think we should ignore the horrible problems with heterosexuals either. God doesn't hold one sin above another.

EXks 8 years, 2 months ago

Organized religion POISIONS the collective conscious of humankind!

Organized religion is the bane of our existence and was invented to placate our insecurities.

For those of you who want to worship your god of choice, ok...fine. But don't force your beliefs on others!

Live and let live...... how difficult is that??

Why aren't these two guys doing something positive in the world like feeding the poor or helping the needy??

Kodiac 8 years, 2 months ago

"Well... I see we have a long way to go. " -- Chancellor Gorkon

prioress 8 years, 2 months ago

The TEACHER'S message is still relevant and useful. The problem is his "followers" who twist love into hate for political reasons.

fletch 8 years, 2 months ago

"We all need Jesus.Jesus died for all our sins.Its true ,homosexuals will not enter heaven.Niether will adulters,drunkards,or murderers."

That just knocked out most of the Republican congressional delegation. Go values voters!

heysoos 8 years, 2 months ago

I can't believe how assumptive of being amongst the chosen so many of you are.

xenophonschild 8 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, we need Jesus alright . . . to disappear, along with the crackpot ideology and tired rhetoric that is xianity.

No one believes or practices it any more anyway, so why don't we just let it die? I'd pay for the funeral.

NEWMAN 8 years, 2 months ago

Are you all even talking about the article anymore... This is getting blown way out of proportion.

BOE 8 years, 2 months ago

"....all liars-their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. "

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

I've experienced that I decided to STAY gay! What made me decide to CHOOSE a life like that anyway? I don't know what got into me. Holy crap! After that quote from Revelation (oh please, that's all it took?) I've decided to change my ways. Thank you so much!

By the way, we're not "bumpkins," you narrowminded neanderthal, we're fabulous.

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

Anything as long as this minister has nothing to do with the Ministry of Silly Walks. Anything but that!

And to stay on topic, that preacher is a homophobic ass.

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

Revelation 21:8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars-their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.Hey smitty, clear enough for you????Homosexuals are sexually immoral.Now before you get in a twist and start seething over my point of view....Think about what those bumpkins do to each other when they are alone...Do you REALLY believe that life style is normal???????

Tychoman 8 years, 2 months ago

What page and edition of the Bible is that?

Daniel Speicher 8 years, 2 months ago

Ah, well... You all should have known I was gonna chime in at some point, right?

Well... I have a few points I want to make after reading all of your posts and this article above. Please don't take this as "preaching"... Just wanted to state my thoughts:

1. Before I get into God's love, we must take care of the 1,200 lb. elephant in the room by talking of God's justice. Is homosexuality a sin? The act is, yes. (Lev. 18:22 and 1 Cor. 6:9) Both the Old and New Testaments are pretty firm on this being a sin. But, as a segue into point two... It is no greater than any other sin...

2. No sin is greater than any other sin in God's eyes. Men are in the business of "ranking" sin... Not God. That means, if you are a liar, cheater, thief, murderer, adulterer, idolator (might I point out materialism and greed are firmly planted in the roots of idolatry), and any other sin mentioned in the Bible. If you can look at me and tell me you have not sinned in the past week... No... The past day... You are a better man than I. Sin happens.

3. However, just because all sin... Does not mean that once we give our lives over to Christ we should not repent of these sins. Repentance sounds like a "harsh" term (mostly because it has been used by people like Phelps), but it simply means to confess the sin as sin and pray that Christ might help you overcome it. Luckily for us, we don't have to overcome the sin on our own.... Nor could we.

4. Non-Christians shouldn't be held to the same standards as Christians. If someone hasn't given their lives over to Christ, how can we (as Christians) expect them to overcome this sin. We know, first hand, that sin isn't something we can handle... Without Christ sin may be manageable, but it can never be defeated. So, therefore, I have a real problem with legislating against homosexuality (although, I think the term "civil union" should be used and "marriage" be reserved for a union between man and woman... Just semantics, I know... I digress...) Point is, if we truly believe the words of the Bible we should also believe that non-believers cannot possibly maintain the standards we need to set for ourselves. By legislating anti-homosexual laws, what does that do? Does it make the homosexuals any less homosexual? No. We cannot legislate Christianity, folks... It just won't work.

((Cont'd.))

Daniel Speicher 8 years, 2 months ago

((Cont'd. from previous post))

5. God does create perfect people, but we are all born with imperfections. Face it... We are all born with a sin nature. (Not to say we're born with sin... That's entirely different.) But, we are born with a bent toward sin. Without positive instruction we become destructive to ourselves and others. Therefore, I think it is ridiculous to believe scientific proof (which there is), that some people are born with a mental bent toward being a murderer, drug addict or compulsive liar (and, adversely, some are born with positive bents, as well) and not say that people could, potentially, be born homosexual. Wake up... Just because God doesn't create us with sin, doesn't mean we can't have a bent toward sin at birth. We live in an imperfect, fallen world... We can, indeed, be born with a bent toward sin.

7. Bottom line is this... If you aren't a Christian and don't believe the Bible, I apologize for generations of Christians who have told you that you must sweep your sin under a carpet and deal with it on your own strength. Know that when we all became Christians (and, yes... I do mean ALL of us who are Christians), we had some MAJOR sin issues. Most of us still have some major ones, and nearly all of us have minor ones still. We didn't come to Christ completely clean of our sins. He doesn't require that of us. All He asks us to do is to come to Him as we are (sinful), ask forgiveness for our sin and ask Him to have a personal relationship with us. He didn't tie a list of requirements onto the gift of grace... The gift of grace is just that... A gift. We took the gift and have simply allowed Christ to work in our hearts to help us "remove that log" from our eye ever since.

So, please forgive me and other Christians who have acted like me, at times. I have been self-righteous at times, reactionary at times, and a follower of the masses at times. When, I should have been demonstrating the love of Christ and not His judgement. He never called me to judge you. He called me to love you. So, forgive me for forgetting that.

And, finally, to other followers of Christ... Know that right now we are the single largest stumbling block to others coming to Him. We must learn to show His love far better than we have been.

--Danny Speicher

Daniel Speicher 8 years, 2 months ago

ThreeCorrections from above:

On #5... Fifth sentence SHOULD read: "Therefore, I think it is ridiculous to NOT believe scientific proof (which there is), that some people are born with a mental bent toward being a murderer, drug addict or compulsive liar (and, adversely, some are born with positive bents, as well) and not say that people could, potentially, be born homosexual."

7 should be #6

And, on #7... When I make the classification between major and minor sin... I should clarify that I was speaking more of those sins which are especially destructive to ourselves and our ability to truly turn over sins as "major" sins. I should have worded that better. Forgive me.

Well, three mistakes isn't too bad, right? ;)

--Danny Speicher

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

You know, I don't sit around wasting time thinking about and obsessing over what gays do to each other when they're alone.

If you do, then you have a far greater problem than the gays do, sublime. Maybe you should be on medication for that obsessive compulsive disorder.

I don't sit around wondering what anyone does in private, whether they're homosexual or heterosexual. Maybe if you spent less time obsessing about the sex lives of others, sublime, and concentrated on your own, you'd feel better.

And has anyone noticed how the naysayers are always focusing on gay men? Not the women? Why is that, exactly?

Daniel Speicher 8 years, 2 months ago

Sublime... Why do you thank me in one breath and continue to be a stumbling block in the next? When, exactly, have harsh words truly brought anyone to Christ? I think far too many of my Christian brothers and sisters have reverted back to the ideologies of the crusades, inquisition and "hell, fire and brimstone" preaching of the early 20th century.

I don't mean to criticize you publicly, sublime... I know your heart is in the right place, but your tactics just suck. All I can ask is that we all take a study in how Christ got people to follow Him and take a lesson from His strategy. I'll tell you, at the core, is learning how to develop a soft heart and a thick skin. And, somehow, learning to not mix the two up. The only way you can effectively do that is to pray that all pride is removed from you so that when people attack you, you learn not to fight back, but listen... Listen and take in exactly where they're coming from.

If we are truly concerned about those who are unsaved, we will act concerned and not be flippant with our words.

The first step has never been to "stop sinning" and then come to Christ. It has always been "come to Christ" and let Him convict you of the sin. Beyond that, if we truly believe that Christ convicts sinners of their sins and spurs them on to repent... Our job is NEVER to condemn one another. Instead, we only should be the catalyst in ENCOURAGING one another to become the person that God wants us to be.

I will probably not post on here again... But, I want to leave a positive word for those non-believers out there who may read this post. Know that if you ever feel as though you can look past the injustices done by followers of Christ, daily (and realize that they haven't ingested some "superhuman" formula and they, too, are still human and still make mistakes.) If you ever feel as though maybe Christ's words are true... Know that I have never once repented of a sin that I didn't want to repent of. It is easy to look from the outside in and think, "I'll NEVER want to repent of this or that... It's a part of who I am... It is too fun... I'm not strong enough." But, I tell you the truth, whenever I have found the strength to change a lifestyle, let a hurt go or sought to improve myself, that strength has always come from Christ and I have ALWAYS felt positive about the change being made. Christ doesn't force you to follow Him now... When you become a believer, the choice is still yours, daily, to follow or to wander.

"For anyone to go to Hell, they will have had to trample over the cross to get there." -- C.S. Lewis

--Danny Speicher owueagle@yahoo.com

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

Thank you Danny. Your right.Im still a new Christian myself.So I guess my approach could use some work.God has changed my life in so many ways.I love the feeling of being touched by the holy spirit.God was good enough to save my wretched soul.I just want to share the joy of the lord with others.I guess I owe an apology to those of you I have offended....I just want to see you there(in heaven).I know it's tough to make lifestyle changes.That kept me from the Lord for years.Sin is only fun for a season. Jesus never gave up on me. When my life started falling apart and I was on the verge of losing every thing.JESUS SAVED ME!!!

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

Your right crazy ks. I feel so much better now!!Thank you thank you!!!Now that Im on meds I can live in denial just like you.

don_burgess 8 years, 2 months ago

CAn you bible-bangers please go to church to get this crap off your chest?

"He called my religion crap?!?! OH NO! I'm going to pray for him so jesus still loves him!"

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

Well guess what Don.Your opinions are wack."Bible -bangers" have the same right to state thier opinions as you do....

mom_of_three 8 years, 2 months ago

Just because someone may not approve of another's lifestyle, does not mean that one should not be denied equal rights under the law. Homosexuals are just people, people. It's doesn't matter what they do, or anyone else does, in the privacy of their lives. If you are worried about what gays do in the privacy of their homes, better not think about those who have "open" marriages.
Religion shouldn't have anything to do with it, and neither should the government. If the word "marriage" is the problem, then call it a "civil union" and get over it.

Daniel Speicher 8 years, 2 months ago

It's all good, sublime... We all need work on our PR skills. And, to an extent, we will never have enough good PR to win over anyone... A man resurrecting from the dead to save our sins, after all, is a stumbling block and foolishness to the wisdom of this world. (1 Corinthains 1:23) However, just because our "logic" will never make sense to those who rely solely upon the world for their truth, doesn't mean we need to separate ourselves completely by insulting those who don't believe.

I am excited for you, Sublime, that you have recently found Christ! You have a unique opportunity in that you have recently seen the initial grace that so many in this world are seeking for. I think the tendency for many non-believers is to turn the switch "off" when they hear a person say that they have been a believer for 10, 20, 30... years. Many believe that those "veterans" have lost their curiosity and by their long-lasting commitment to the faith, have quit seeking out the essential truths of this world. (And some of them have.) But, you... You can speak to what RECENTLY drew you to Christ!

But, as I said before, we must all work toward having that soft heart and thick skin... We do nothing by letting the hurtful words of others affect us. We do nothing by retaliating or being crushed. We just have to realize that they are hurting, just like we are. If you are like me, we are all just a couple of irritations away from striking out at people we don't agree with... That is, of course, without letting Christ take control of those irritations and praying for wisdom on what to say. And, that is where we can be unique. We can truly love people who hurt us! Be that person, sublime! You're on your way!

--Danny Speicher

sublime 8 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the encouragement Danny.God bless you brother.