Archive for Friday, October 20, 2006

Stovall endorses Morrison

Former Republican A.G. backs Democrat in race

October 20, 2006

— For the second time this week, a high-profile Republican former attorney general has come out against incumbent Republican Phill Kline.

On Friday, former Atty. Gen. Carla Stovall Steckline endorsed Democrat Paul Morrison and leveled a barrage of criticism against Kline.

"I think the sacred trust of the attorney general's office given to the incumbent has been violated," Steckline said of Kline.

Steckline backed Morrison, saying the longtime Johnson County district attorney "has the right priorities and will not misuse the trust of the office."

Steckline's announcement came three days after former Atty. Gen. Bob Stephan, also a Republican, said he left his job as a special assistant to Kline because he was disturbed by Kline's use of churches in raising campaign cash. Stephan stopped short of endorsing Morrison but made it clear he would not support Kline.

In response, Kline's campaign issued a news release, saying Kline had been endorsed Friday by three Democrats: state Sen. Mark Gilstrap of Kansas City, Kan., former state Rep. Charles Laird of Topeka and Wichita attorney Don McKinney.

"I am honored by the courage of these Kansas Democrats to step out and support me," Kline said.

Reader poll
Which attorney general candidate has your support?

or See the results without voting

Gilstrap criticized Morrison, formerly a Republican, for switching parties, while Laird touted Kline's work in protecting children and McKinney praised Kline's legal skills.

But Steckline had a different opinion of Kline, saying that after leaving politics in 2002, she couldn't stay silent any longer.

"I care deeply about the attorney general's office - the power that it has to do good, and the power that it has to do bad," she said. "I can't disagree more than with the current policy and direction."

She said Kline has weakened the consumer protection division while placing it under the authority of Bryan Brown, who has a history of arrests as an anti-abortion protester.

Steckline also criticized Kline for misleading the public about a law passed in 2000 that reduced the postrelease supervision of some offenders.

Kline voted against Senate Bill 323 when he was in the House and has criticized Morrison, who was a member of an advisory commission that proposed the legislation.

Steckline said the bill actually made room in the prison system for more violent offenders, and that it was the product of a directive from the Legislature to the commission.

Carla Stovall Steckline, left, explains why she is endorsing the Democratic candidate for attorney general, Paul Morrison, right. Steckline, a Republican and former attorney general, backed Morrison instead of incumbent Phill Kline, a fellow Republican.

She also criticized Kline for saying that Reginald Carr was released from prison because of the bill. Carr later was sentenced to death for a crime spree in Wichita that left five dead.

Morrison said he welcomed Steckline's endorsement.

"To cross party lines to make an endorsement is difficult," Morrison said. "It speaks volumes about how disturbed she is about what is going on there and how confident she is that I can do better."

Steckline served as attorney general from 1995 to 2002.

She was a leader of the moderate wing of the Republican Party, while Kline has been a conservative leader. The two often were at odds.

In 2002, Steckline was considered a front-runner Republican candidate for governor but then dropped out, saying she had lost her desire to campaign. She later announced she was marrying Wichita-area broadcast executive Larry Steckline.

Comments

oldgoof 8 years, 2 months ago

When is someone going to get Kline to reveal his FBI background investigation which kept him from being appointed U.S. Attorney?

Frank Smith 8 years, 2 months ago

Democrat Gilstrap's endorsement of Kline, supposedly because Morrison switched parties, is faintly reminiscent of Groucho Marx's comment: "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

Interesting too that Stovall is experiencing the gag reflex when presented with Kline's behavior.

Hey Carla. Ask your doctor. Could Dramamine be right for you?

oldgoof 8 years, 2 months ago

Kline's offering of the names of Gilstrap, Laird, and McKinney are sooooo minor, and the individuals so .... well, odd, that this is hilarious theatre in its own right. I suspicion the real political glue here is their similar anti-abortion activism. . One angle that many people may not understand is Stovall's 100% understanding of sentencing reform through her early work on the KS sentencing commission.

Hence her total and justified rage at the lies of Kline relative to his descriptions of SB 323/Morrison's actions and likewise the "Carr brothers" gambit, which others, including Stephan have identified as lies. . It is the world of trying to out get-tough-on-crime your opponent, when your opponents really are already demonstrably tough-on-crime. So you lie. Which is the real crime here. . When Kline, the chief Law Enforcement officer in the state lies so much, you've got trouble "right here in River City."

And despite my earlier tarty comment, Carla always ran a professional office, compared to the current 3rd rate political circus. Did I always agree with her? Absolutely not. But the difference is night and day.

oldgoof 8 years, 2 months ago

Much of the get-tough-on-crime accusations come out of two bills referred to as "SB 323 and SB 123" (Kline tars Morrison for support of them)

So I would also note his new supporter Gilstrap voted AYE for both of them. (the other 2 dudes were not in the legislature then). . I renew my suggestion that the political glue with the new Democrat Kline supporters is singularly the abortion issue.

fcraig 8 years, 2 months ago

Carla sucked as much as Morrison the Moron will.

oldgoof 8 years, 2 months ago

RT: I like to practice my Christian faith, be able to purchase stuff, and plan for the future. I am also a life-long Republican.

I don't like my Republican friends sticking their subpoenas in my medical records, their video cams in my bedroom, their definitions of marriage in my constitution, lying about rational sentincing policies, throwing everyone in prison, being so hypocritical about the abortion issue to oppose stem cell research without prohibiting medical fertility medicine, and opposing abortion while supporting the death penalty; or from inserting Christianity to the exclusion of other faiths in my civil government.

Until you other Republicans start figuring it out, we will continue to support moderate R's and D's.

If we would get the R party back to policies like balancing the federal budget.... (which Republicans have done a TERRIBLE job in the last couple of decades(even Bush didn't want the last round of cuts until Rove insisted he go this direction: "The deficit doesn't matter, Mr. President")) .... some of us R's might vote for more R candidates.

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, before my time. You must be old.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 2 months ago

If Stovall "sucked" why where the republicans so mad she did not run for gov. in 2002?

ASBESTOS 8 years, 2 months ago

Macon your 1:10 post was very funny and enjoyable!

Porter 8 years, 2 months ago

Well, Macon, we gotta do something to fight the puppy-eating republicans.

not_dolph 8 years, 2 months ago

oldgoof is right...and lots of it...and a nice little winter home in the Florida Gulf.

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

Quoting a Kurt Cobain song. You rebel, you.

Let me guess. You enjoy flannel?

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

Apparently this is needed because we have yet another poster who simply does not understand the rules...

@ Beacher

You are way out of line for threatening right_thinker. I hope the mods remove you. A review of your comments indicate that you contribute nothing.

Everyone has the right to post their opinions. I can say I very rarely agree with right_thinker and think he is full of crapola most of the time but you have no right whatsoever to treat any of the posters this way and defintely no right to threaten anyone who posts on this forum.

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

And right_thinker, you are wrong. It does not matter your political views, if you consistently violate the forum rules, you are gone.

Pointing to 2 extremely vocal "conservative" posters being banned does not prove that the LJW is out to get conservatives or silence their views as your buddy Groenhagen wants to whine about on his blog. It merely proves that they broke the rules many times & very consistently.

Even the email Groenhagen posts on his blog states that there were enough complaints about those 2 by posters that were not problem posters. You do realize that means that people who followed the forum rules complained about them enough that they were banned.

I guess you could make the case that it is evidence that "left-wing" or "liberal" or "non conservative" people tend to follow the rules, which in itself is ironic as the right-winger people tend to accuse them of not doing it so often.

Of course, all it means is that a correlation does not mean causation for either Groenhagen's theory or my above statement.

not_dolph 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by right_thinker (anonymous) on October 21, 2006 at 7:36 p.m. (Suggest removal)

And oldgoof, you're no Republican, and you are an imposter stirring up crap on this forum. You are no Republican. Are you freinds with Defender? Another wimp on this forum who can't decide what party he likes?

RT - you know not what you speak...they don't get anymore Republican that goof...

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

@ Beacher

As I recall, threats are not covered by the First Amendment.

Neither is slander or libel.

Perhaps you should take a look at the Constitution sometime.

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

You are correct, right_thinker. Beacher's behavior should not be tolerated on this forum.

I don't know why you are dragging HGA into though. I imagine one could copy and save posts if you felt so inclined. Maybe you should be flattered and she saved your posts so she could gaze upon your wisdom everyday. LOL!

My opinion is that Beacher is either Groenhagen or conservativeman pulling a stunt to either a) throw Cox's words back in his face or b) to try to make some bizarre point that Beacher won't get banned because he is posting left-wing/or liberal views & thus prove that they are right that the LJW is being hypocritical.

From the email Beacher just sent me they are just trying to give you a taste of your own medicine.

I never saw you threaten anyone here. I've seen Groenhagen do it and I don't remember if conservativeman did or not.

And I never received an email from anyone I would consider a liberal that would state such a thing.

And addressing the moderators does nothing. You have to suggest the removal of a comment per the forum rules. It is clearly stated that they do not monitor the forum which is why we have all sorts of insane behavior instead of a cool forum for everyone to voice their opinions.

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

Sure it is. I guess threatening violence and wishing horrible things on those who don't agree with you is fun and entertaining.

Some of us like to see all points of view.

I guess it just makes you just like the ones you claim to despise. Hope you don't have any difficulty looking in your mirror. Personally if I behaved in a manner such as you, I'd have some difficulty doing so.

Katara 8 years, 2 months ago

Fascists use threats of violence to silence the others' opinions.

Do you have anything else better to do than waste our bandwidth?

ASBESTOS 8 years, 2 months ago

As Alice Cooper said the hippie thing was BS, and I concur! The 60's was an experiment that didn't work, and all liberals are doingtoday to offset Republicans is to trot out out the Old 60's rhetoric and claiming they are "enlightened". Sad, no new thoughts nor any new perspectives on the world as it is, just the same old herb induced rationalizations of the 60's.

Yahoo!

xenophonschild 8 years, 2 months ago

November 7th will be a cataclysm, a disaster of unimagined proportion and intensity for Republicans . . . and good riddance.

They had a mandate to use the marshalled forces of the country to fight global terrorism, and they frittered it away in Iraq instead of focusing on Afghanistan.

They had an opportunity to continue the fiscal solvency that was a golden legacy of William the Great; instead, they did away with "pay-as-you-go"; gave ruinous tax breaks to the wealthiest Americans; ran up a mountain of debt, and are leaving us with hundreds of billions of budget deficits that have to be financed by borrowing from foreigners.

They could have used the good will of foreign, sovereign nations who extended genuine sympathy and concern after 9/11; instead, Republicans adopted a brash, cowboy foreign policy that allowed only unilateralism, and disdained all of our traditional allies but the British. Little wonder that most of the rest of the world hates our guts.

And, anyone who still thinks GWB and Cheney and Rumsfeld genuinely belief in what they're doing need only read: www.alternet.org/waroniraq/43077/ and get the real deal on how Halliburton and its primary subsidiary planned to occupy Iraq and its oil wealth . . . long before the invasion/war began.

Enjoy.