A man already charged with three cases of HIV exposure in Douglas County went back to jail Tuesday after prosecutors filed a fourth case against him.
Robert W. Richardson II, 29, was arrested Tuesday morning at the Judicial and Law Enforcement Center, 111 E. 11th St., by a sheriff's deputy who was waiting outside his court appearance for a previous HIV-exposure case. Richardson is expected to make a first appearance on the new case today, and his bond on the new charge has been set at $100,000.
He had been free on bond before Tuesday's arrest, which came at the end of a hearing that laid out some of the evidence against him in a pending case involving a 30-year-old Emporia woman. Tuesday was the second time in recent weeks that women have taken the stand to describe their contact with Richardson. In a hearing earlier this month, one woman said she had sex with Richardson after meeting him on the online dating site OKCupid.com, and another testified she met him through Kansas University's Society of Open-Minded Atheists and Agnostics.
The Emporia woman testified Tuesday that she had unprotected sex twice with Richardson late last year after she met him through the Internet site www.friendster.com. She testified she didn't learn he was HIV-positive until she came across online Lawrence Journal-World stories about his arrest.
So far, the woman has tested negative for HIV, as have the previous two women who testified in Douglas County.
At the end of the hearing, Judge Stephen Six ordered Richardson to stand trial July 12 despite defense attorney Thomas Johnson's request to dismiss the charge. Johnson argued there was no evidence Richardson meant to hurt the woman.
In addition to the four Douglas County cases, Richardson has HIV-related cases pending in Emporia and Johnson County, Mo.
- 6News video: Police arrest man for fourth HIV exposure (05-23-06)
- Man in HIV exposure case faces new charges (05-12-06)
- 6News video: Bond decision reversed in HIV case (05-11-06)
- Trials ordered for HIV exposure (05-03-06)
- 6News video: Man accused of spreading HIV arrested for 3rd time (05-02-06)
- Third charge weighed against man with HIV (04-12-06)
- Suspect faces second HIV exposure charge (03-24-06)
- 6News video: Man arrested 2nd time for spreading HIV (03-23-06)
- Man charged with exposing others to HIV (03-09-06)
- Resident accused in HIV infection case (02-25-06)