Archive for Friday, March 24, 2006

Suspect faces second HIV exposure charge

March 24, 2006

A second woman in Douglas County has come forward to allege that the same Lawrence man knowingly exposed her to HIV.

Dist. Atty. Charles Branson's office on Thursday formally charged the 29-year-old man, Robert W. Richardson, with one count of knowingly exposing a person to a deadly virus. The alleged victim in the case, a 40-year-old woman, told police that she was exposed to HIV from having sexual contact with Richardson between Jan. 17 and Jan. 31 at his home in central Lawrence.

She filed a police report Feb. 28.

It's the second similar case filed against Richardson in Douglas County in recent weeks. Earlier this month prosecutors charged him in a separate case involving a 20-year-old woman who told police she was exposed to HIV by having sexual contact with him the night of Jan. 2 in North Lawrence.

Robert Richardson

Robert Richardson

He was released on $3,500 bond in the first case. After prosecutors filed the second charge against him, he was arrested again and had his bond set at $5,000.

In a hearing Thursday in District Court, a judge scheduled his preliminary hearing for April 11.

In both cases, he is charged with "exposing another to a life-threatening communicable disease," a low-level felony under a 1999 Kansas law.

The law also prohibits people with deadly, communicable diseases from sharing hypodermic needles or donating blood or organs.

Comments

geekin_topekan 9 years, 4 months ago

832-7146 is Eric W's desk phone at JW.

If anyone is wondering.

Byrne 9 years, 4 months ago

Random bit of information at the end of the story, gone now.

TT 9 years, 4 months ago

Scary! I wonder how many others are really out there?

It looks like this story was first mentioned a few weeks ago...

Confrontation 9 years, 4 months ago

It is really sad that these women would not use condoms. Both men and women need to wake up and stop being so stupid. Don't believe anyone when they say they are "clean." Make them get an exam. Keep your pants on if you aren't smart enough to protect yourself. What this guy did is definitely wrong, but he sure didn't have a problem find some naive partners.

keshia2006 9 years, 4 months ago

i agree with confrontation. if you are that stupid to sleep with someone only knowing them a few days or hours at that then you probably deserve to get any disease that is transmitted.

staff04 9 years, 4 months ago

No one deserves to get a disease like this, Keisha. No matter how irresponsible they are.

Frankly, I'm really surprised that this isn't considered a much greater crime, like attempted murder...

cmckit 9 years, 4 months ago

Why does a person who is clearly such a threat to society get out on such a low bail?

KSChick1 9 years, 4 months ago

wrap it before you tap it

I agree that no matter how irresponsible you are, you do not deserve to get a disease like this.

But, both people are responsible for being informed and knowing that just because someone is cute or sexy or happens to strike your fancy-there is always the chance of some kind of disease even if it's not AIDS.

Unprotected sex is just irresponsible in so many ways.

dthroat 9 years, 4 months ago

I am VERY glad they identified the scum, but nobody has commented on the fact the LJW broke their own rules. Their stance has always been not to id people accused of any sex crime until convicted. Thank goodness they are publishing this so others can be warned (or tested if they know this guy.)

KSChick1 9 years, 4 months ago

I think this guy looks so pouty in this picture because he knows he won't be getting laid anytime soon and because he got caught knowingly spreading a serious disease (but I bet he doesn't care, or why would he have done this once much less more than once!). He should be ashamed of himself. Attempted murder sounds like an applicable charge to me!

mztrendy 9 years, 4 months ago

i can't believe someone would sleep with the guy twice!

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if these women were drugged.

missleslie 9 years, 4 months ago

ok I was reading over the old article when this happended the first time....located here http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/mar/09/man_charged_exposing_others_hiv

and there was post by Marion refering to another chat with this guys info....well she said she got a email from a lawyer at the the address talsynsilverleaf@yahoo.com threatening her to take it down or he would take legal action. Well is it just me or is this guy in the picture below the same guy who is spreading HIV ? http://profiles.yahoo.com/talsynsilverleaf

I guess he must be reading all about his story......

redjayj 9 years, 4 months ago

AIDS is not new. People are educated about how it happens. It is at least attempted murder. Girls! Please have more respect for yourselves! It's a dangerous game and you could lose your health or life. Somebody infected this guy maybe he wanted a little revenge sick . I hope these women dont end up with the virus.

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

I want to see what these women look like...then I think I'd be able to decide for myself, who was doing the drugs.

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

So, before he is convicted of anything...will the girls have to be infected? Or just exposed? I've never heard of a case like this.

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

Where does it say that these women were raped?

missleslie 9 years, 4 months ago

someone tell me if the guy above looks like the guy in the link i posted....i am curious

Linda Endicott 9 years, 4 months ago

Condoms, even latex ones, are not a 100% guarantee that you won't get AIDS. No condom can totally protect you from AIDS.

Oh, yeah, in this day and age you have to assume that anyone can have HIV or AIDS and take precautions accordingly. You can even demand that they be tested before you sleep with them. Well, if you have sex with someone who has HIV, it can take up to six months before a test can detect it. In the meantime, how many people have you had sex with? How many people out there think they're clean when they aren't?

Unless you plan to incarcerate all your potential sex partners until the test results come back, how can you be sure they haven't fooled around with someone else in the meantime? Will you insist they be tested every six months?

offtotheright, would you be saying they are "whiners" if one of the women were your sister, or daughter?

Yes, you should take responsibility and be cautious. But most women probably never seriously think that a guy would deliberately have sex with you knowing that he has AIDS. What kind of person wouldn't care whether they kill you or not?

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

I looked at the picture...I would have to say yes.

missleslie 9 years, 4 months ago

so its funny a CREEP that would do something like this would actually come to this message board and email someone a threat of legal action...if I were him I would be worring about more important things....

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

This is such an interesting subject. You know...people, not just women can be responsible and still make mistakes. And how do you know...they weren't seeing each other for several weeks? It doesn't automatically mean they had a "one night stand."

radarlove 9 years, 4 months ago

Even more disgusting is the assumptions made above about the victims, the circumstances or the length of time he may have known them before having intercourse. Men have been known to lie about condoms, or slip them off during intercourse. Condoms do NOT protect against all transmitted diseases, either.

Regardless of what your own personal morals may be, no one deserves to obtain a life-threatening illness just because they don't have the same outlook on life.

and for the record, Esq2eB, it's not a great pic of him. He's much better looking, very charming and smooth. I got the "creepy" vibe on first meeting him, but I'm a bit older than most of his victims.

massst 9 years, 4 months ago

i would say stay faithful with ur loved ones..dont sleep around...

mztrendy 9 years, 4 months ago

I definiately think its the same guy too.

KSChick1 9 years, 4 months ago

I think it's funny how off to the right assumes these were one night stand victims. They might have known the guy their whole lives, and he may never have said by the way I have aids. It is also not JUST the women's responsibility to be protected. It is also not JUST the women's fault that they have been exposed to aids by this loser. I think it's funny that there are comments on here to women to respect themselves and not have one night stands. This guy and any other that have one night stands are not showing respect for women or themselves by having a one night stand but I see nobody on here has the nerve to tell the man to respect himself. I hate the double standard that says if a woman has a one night stand she is a slut but if a man has a one night stand he is cool.

radarlove 9 years, 4 months ago

In response to the women asking above if it's the same guy as the yahoo profile, I've seen him, and I can't be sure it's the same one. I do know he had a profile on blogspot not long ago with a pic.

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

Look at the bottom left hand picture and see what you think.

BritBoiNYC 9 years, 4 months ago

Everyone please take the time to read all of the feedback, including links, provided in the previous article dated March 9th. It is the same picture. The predator himself made up multiple aliases and posted comments in defense of his own position. He also posed as an attorney and admitted such in a letter that he sent directly to "Marion". Further, I will repeat a comment I made about comments on the previous article. The girls are not on trial here for using bad judgement. Bad judgement is not a crime. Knowingly spreading HIV is. Lets focus on the issue here.

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

KsLadybug 9 years, 4 months ago

Well, how weird. If Talsyn is Richardson, how was his profile updated? I tried showing a co-worker and now the profile is blank!!!!

BritBoiNYC 9 years, 4 months ago

A reminder to any who forgot or missed it before, but I spent $19.95 on an internet background check on this predator, and these are not his first arrests for this offense. He was arrested in Louisiana years ago their version of the same offense. I don't know how or why he wasn't convicted, but there only seemed to be a record of the arrest.

Larry (Marion), thank you for the info, you seem to have your finger on the pulse! (As me Mum would say, Brilliant work!)

Charles L Bloss Jr 9 years, 4 months ago

This law should make any violation attemped murder. That is exactly what it is, and the punishment should fit the crime. I'm appalled that the punishment is so light, this is a big mistake. Thank you, Lynn

dawg 9 years, 4 months ago

why do you think he is intentionally trying to spread this?

xenophonschild 9 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know where to buy condoms after midnight in Lawrence? A woman told me last week: "It's okay, you don't need to wear one." I was tempted, but don't (didn't) know her that well, so I said: "Yeah, I do, just to be sure." She didn't care for that much, and since I wasn't packin', had to make a run from one end of town to the other looking for an all-night drugstore.

I'm a former flower-child of the late 60s, early 70s, am single again, and this condom stuff sucks out loud . . . but this story emphasizes that it's the right thing to do.

Godot 9 years, 4 months ago

"Well, my question earlier was...do the girls have to be infected in order for him to be convicted? Or is it a crime just because they were exposed?'

It might be several years after exposure to HIV before you are diagnosed with the disease.

Why is there any question about this? I thought this subject was supposed to have been covered in sex ed class in public school.

Harry_Manback 9 years, 4 months ago

Why is this a crime? I think it's horrible and disgusting, but it's just as much the women's fault for having unprotected sex with him. It's not like he raped them.

creamygnome 9 years, 4 months ago

Condoms may be purchased 24 hours a day at the following locations in Lawrence, Kansas.

Dillons on 23rd and Naismith. Checkers on 23rd and Lousiana (I believe) Wal-Mart on Iowa near the big theater.

All three of these locations are open 24 hours.

Rebecca Valburg 9 years, 4 months ago

I don't know these women, but one can either assume that they are whining, crying, and WANT their names and faces plastered all over the paper because they enjoy public humiliation, or that they aren't as concerned with their own reputations as they are with preventing this guy from infecting more women. Remember, these women have several months to wait before they can even be tested - imagine what they're going through right now. Props to them for being brave and selfless enough to come forward.

And has it even been established that they WEREN'T protected? If you recall junior high health class, condoms are about 80 percent effective against pregnancy. Sperm are a lot bigger than viruses, and it's not as though latex is a molecularly solid material. Do the math. No one advertises this, because they ARE better than nothing, but come on. It's none of our business how long they knew him before they had sex with him, it's none of our business what they used - whether it was one night and nothing, or two years and a condom, he's still just as guilty, and they still have just as much right to sue him. The issue is that he knowingly endangered people around him. You can keep your legs crossed and feel smug, but let's hope the guy didn't need $40 and use the same lies to sell plasma last week, especially if it's you or a loved one in a car wreck tomorrow. Put your personal morals aside, love your neighbor as yourself, and be supportive of these women, or at least keep your thoughts to yourself - these women are standing up to protect ALL of us, all of our loved ones, even those of us that aren't having sex.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

yes, I noted the name too. I should state that he is not affiliated with this gnome.

creamygnome 9 years, 4 months ago

I agree with RichardCory. And yes, my name rules. Thank you.

slickone 9 years, 4 months ago

A few things things:

1) The incubation (window) period for HIV is twelve weeks. You can read more about this at: http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&id=82140&category_id=1001

2) You can get FREE condoms at any of the locations below, or at Douglas County AIDS Project. Some of these locations are open 24hrs. http://www.douglascountyaidsproject.org/index.php?php_page=info_3.php

3) Condoms are effective at preventing the spread of HIV. http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/condoms.pdf

a_nut 9 years, 4 months ago

RichardCory - blood banks now test plasma for everything they can test it for, including HIV/AIDS and you can request that they do so upon giving a donation. If positive, they call to tell you.

It was in 1985 that blood HAD to start being tested because too many people who got donated blood were getting the virus, too.

Watch/Read And the Band Played On people for starters...

Rebecca Valburg 9 years, 3 months ago

My point was, condoms are effective at preventing pregnancy, but there are plenty of people that are living proof that they don't work every time. They aren't going to work better against a virus than they do against sperm, so it doesn't make sense to be bashing these women who had sex with him. The fact that they're going after him doesn't mean that they weren't careful (even WITH a condom, I'd be scared), and it's certainly not our place to judge them for it.

And I read And The Band Played On about 15 years ago - it's a great book. The blood banks DO test everything, but tests are done by humans, and humans occassionally make mistakes. The fact of the matter is, AIDS is still a very scary disease, and even if you refuse to have sex with ANYONE, the more it spreads, the bigger chance there is of someone close to you, or even you, may end up with it. I found it rather bothersome that several people on here were bashing on the women that are standing up to this guy, when those are the same women that are in the best position to stop this guy from rampantly, purposefully spreading it. If we don't stand in the way of the people that are trying to stop him, we're all that much closer to the day when we won't have to worry about how effective condoms and blood tests are - 1% of zero is still zero. Remember, Louisiana already had this guy and let him go again.