Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, December 2, 2006

Electrical problem blamed for motel blaze

December 2, 2006

Advertisement

An electrical problem with a sign caused the fire Thursday night that damaged Westminster Inn and Suites, 2525 W. Sixth St., Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical Chief Mark Bradford said Friday.

Damage to the motel was listed at $75,000, including $50,000 to the structure and $25,000 to the contents, Bradford said.

More than 20 firefighters battled the two-alarm blaze on an icy night. Part of Sixth Street was closed until ice from the water used to fight the fire could be cleared. The lighted sign where the electrical problem originated was on the east side of the motel.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.