Archive for Friday, April 7, 2006

Woman pleads guilty in morphine case

April 7, 2006

Erica A. Bay, former caretaker at Pioneer Ridge Retirement Community in Lawrence, pleads guilty Friday morning in Douglas County District Court to two counts of mistreatment of an adult in connection with a theft of morphine discovered at the nursing home last year. Judge Paula Martin scheduled Bay's sentencing date for May 10 in Douglas County District Court.

A nursing home caregiver accused of stealing morphine from two patients pleaded guilty this morning in Douglas County District Court.

Erica A. Bay, 29, who appeared with her attorney before District Judge Paula Martin, pleaded guilty to two counts of mistreatment of a dependent adult.

The judge set Bay's sentencing date for 10:30 a.m. May 10 in district court. She is free on bond.

The thefts took place last year at Pioneer Ridge Retirement Community, 4851 Harvard Rd.

Prosecutors said Bay stole morphine gel out of skin patches intended for a 79-year-old woman and a 96-year-old man who died soon after. Authorities said there was no connection between the missing painkiller and the man's death.

A nursing-home manager said at the time that no resident had experienced pain because of the alleged thefts.

Comments

bearded_gnome 8 years ago

I sincerely hope that she'll get a very harsh sentence...I do not understand how the article and thus the involved authorities can so glibly tell us that these patients felt no pain and this theft didn't figure in that patient's death?!?!?

mrs. gnome had to be on fentanyl patches for a couple of years for some major pain. it is extremely powerful stuff! it does take care of pain, but it is very easy to become dependent on it.

I can think of some appropriate punishments for this wench: administer unremitting pain for a couple of years, and force her to live independently in her home with no assistance under that pain?

75x55 8 years ago

Where's the "drug-war-is-a-failure-legalize-it-all" people now?

sweetpeagj 8 years ago

I actually have to take fentanylpatches 75 mg every day. I am not sure why anyone would elect to be on the stuff. I wish there was another way to live but if I don't I can't walk or work. I know when I quit them cold turkey once because I hate them I was sick for a week and had some serious signs of heart failure. I can't believe a person would do this.

geekin_topekan 8 years ago

white chicks on Morphine! Nothin but LOVE!

my_manly_essence 8 years ago

Red hair with blonde highlights, eh?

Hmmm........

Send me an e-mail! ;)

vavs0929 8 years ago

i have red hair with blonde highlights! heh

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

Gal certainly is a basket case!

(Hiassen/Zevon reference!)

She was not prosecuted for illegally possessing los drogas either.

I notice that in KC last week a guy was given LIFE for killing a baby.

Jason Dillon only got 16 years for killing a baby in Lawrence.

If you're gonna kill a baby, Lawrence is the place to do it!

Yep, if ya wanna steal painkillers from old folks anda kill babies, Lawrence is the place for you!

Thanks.

Marion.

snoozey 8 years ago

She should have raped a 13 y/o old girl instead, at least she would have gotten off w probation from this judge. I guess she read Carl Hiassen instead.

holygrailale 8 years ago

wonderhorse:

I apologize.

I combined your jocularity with Macon47's as frivolity on a subject in which I brook no humor. You said nothing that made light of the plight of hospice patients, only comments regarding the defendent's appearance.

Please accept my apology.

holygrailale 8 years ago

Morganna:

Opiate users can go through withdrawal when use is abruptly halted. That is usually never a problem as pain relief is the number one priority for hospice patients.

As long as the hospice patient is breathing at a minimal respiratory rate ( > 12 per minute), they get all the morphine they want.

For the hospice patient, morphine / fentanyl is a good thing.

wonderhorse 8 years ago

"Not surprised that wonderhorse would make light of hospice (dying) patients getting deprived of painkillers."

Not sure exactly where I made that kind of remark. I was responding to macon, in a lighthearted sort of way, since we normally argue all of the time. Please point out where I made "light of hospice (dying) patients getting deprived of painkillers."

I will apologize.

holygrailale 8 years ago

I guess it's a part of the "new breed" of conservative.

adky 8 years ago

And why was the photo so large?

adky 8 years ago

It'll be interesting to compare her sentence for drugs and elderly abuse with the average sentence for drugs in a poor black area.

macon47 8 years ago

bozo , i only use the caps to annoy nickle noses,and fragile young liberals that live in the basements of their parents homes since no one willl hire them

wonderhorse 8 years ago

"You know, I'm rather partial to blondes, myself. ;)

I've always loved redheads.

Morganna 8 years ago

When my Mother was dying of cancer - the doctor told us that if she was taken off of Morphine she would go into Morphine shock and die?????? Did this happen to these people and no one is saying anything??????

holygrailale 8 years ago

The patients felt the lack of fentanyl patches ( a "super" morphine).

The patients probably asked for more than usual ("PRN") painkillers. That is documented on the Medication Administration Record ("MAR").

This is the lowest of the low.

Steve Jacob 8 years ago

If no convictions,a and she was not selling, she probally gets no jail. Does not say if its a felony or not.

my_manly_essence 8 years ago

You know, I'm rather partial to blondes, myself. ;)

Always have been.

Blondes have always been my one true weakness!

Good thing I wasn't the judge in this case!

I would have just given her a slap on the........"wrist".....of course!! :P

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years ago

Hey, macon, the all-caps do nothing to make your posts any less pointless or idiotic.

janniebullinlawrence 8 years ago

So no one had a problem with Jason Dillon. and addiction is a terrible malady.

macon47 8 years ago

SHE PROBABLY STARTED OUT SELLING GRASS

janniebullinlawrence 8 years ago

You don't know this woman and she is a good person who made a bad choice.

bugmenot 8 years ago

Just to get this correct, there are no morphine patches or morphine gel. What she stole would have to be Duragesic (fentanyl). Also, they could of been doped up on multiple other painkillers such as percocet, dilaudid, and methadone for short term pain or breakthru pain. What she stole from them would of been for long term pain.

horrific_changeling 8 years ago

How do you not experience pain if you're not getting your morphine? I know I sure do!