Archive for Friday, April 7, 2006

Woman pleads guilty in morphine case

April 7, 2006

Erica A. Bay, former caretaker at Pioneer Ridge Retirement Community in Lawrence, pleads guilty Friday morning in Douglas County District Court to two counts of mistreatment of an adult in connection with a theft of morphine discovered at the nursing home last year. Judge Paula Martin scheduled Bay's sentencing date for May 10 in Douglas County District Court.

A nursing home caregiver accused of stealing morphine from two patients pleaded guilty this morning in Douglas County District Court.

Erica A. Bay, 29, who appeared with her attorney before District Judge Paula Martin, pleaded guilty to two counts of mistreatment of a dependent adult.

The judge set Bay's sentencing date for 10:30 a.m. May 10 in district court. She is free on bond.

The thefts took place last year at Pioneer Ridge Retirement Community, 4851 Harvard Rd.

Prosecutors said Bay stole morphine gel out of skin patches intended for a 79-year-old woman and a 96-year-old man who died soon after. Authorities said there was no connection between the missing painkiller and the man's death.

A nursing-home manager said at the time that no resident had experienced pain because of the alleged thefts.

Comments

horrific_changeling 9 years, 5 months ago

How do you not experience pain if you're not getting your morphine? I know I sure do!

bugmenot 9 years, 5 months ago

Just to get this correct, there are no morphine patches or morphine gel. What she stole would have to be Duragesic (fentanyl). Also, they could of been doped up on multiple other painkillers such as percocet, dilaudid, and methadone for short term pain or breakthru pain. What she stole from them would of been for long term pain.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey, macon, the all-caps do nothing to make your posts any less pointless or idiotic.

Steve Jacob 9 years, 5 months ago

If no convictions,a and she was not selling, she probally gets no jail. Does not say if its a felony or not.

Morganna 9 years, 5 months ago

When my Mother was dying of cancer - the doctor told us that if she was taken off of Morphine she would go into Morphine shock and die?????? Did this happen to these people and no one is saying anything??????

wonderhorse 9 years, 5 months ago

"You know, I'm rather partial to blondes, myself. ;)

I've always loved redheads.

adky 9 years, 5 months ago

It'll be interesting to compare her sentence for drugs and elderly abuse with the average sentence for drugs in a poor black area.

wonderhorse 9 years, 5 months ago

"Not surprised that wonderhorse would make light of hospice (dying) patients getting deprived of painkillers."

Not sure exactly where I made that kind of remark. I was responding to macon, in a lighthearted sort of way, since we normally argue all of the time. Please point out where I made "light of hospice (dying) patients getting deprived of painkillers."

I will apologize.

snoozey 9 years, 5 months ago

She should have raped a 13 y/o old girl instead, at least she would have gotten off w probation from this judge. I guess she read Carl Hiassen instead.

Alison Roberts 9 years, 5 months ago

i have red hair with blonde highlights! heh

geekin_topekan 9 years, 5 months ago

white chicks on Morphine! Nothin but LOVE!

sweetpeagj 9 years, 5 months ago

I actually have to take fentanylpatches 75 mg every day. I am not sure why anyone would elect to be on the stuff. I wish there was another way to live but if I don't I can't walk or work. I know when I quit them cold turkey once because I hate them I was sick for a week and had some serious signs of heart failure. I can't believe a person would do this.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 5 months ago

I sincerely hope that she'll get a very harsh sentence...I do not understand how the article and thus the involved authorities can so glibly tell us that these patients felt no pain and this theft didn't figure in that patient's death?!?!?

mrs. gnome had to be on fentanyl patches for a couple of years for some major pain. it is extremely powerful stuff! it does take care of pain, but it is very easy to become dependent on it.

I can think of some appropriate punishments for this wench: administer unremitting pain for a couple of years, and force her to live independently in her home with no assistance under that pain?