Fire investigators today recovered a body in the ruins of an apartment building that burned early Friday morning.
The body was taken to the Douglas County coroner's office in Topeka to be examined and identified, said Mark Bradford, interim chief of Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical.
The discovery was made as investigators began combing through the debris of the three-story, blocklong building in the Boardwalk Apartments complex in the 500 block of Fireside Drive. Search dogs also were being used.
Investigators also found other remains at the scene, but it was not known whether they are human remains, Bradford said.
Three occupants of the building remain missing and have not been seen since the fire was reported at 1:19 a.m. Friday. Their identities have not been released, but family members have said that 50-year-old Jose Gonzalez has not been heard from since Thursday night. Gonzalez also failed to show up for work Friday at Quality Electric Inc. in Lawrence, his sister Maria Gonzalez said.
Boardwalk Apartments Fire
More on the Boardwalk Apartments Fire
- 6News video: 'Boardwalk Fire Trial' set to begin (02-01-07)
- 6News video: Confession in Boardwalk fire case under question (09-19-06)
- 6News video: Fire victims struggling with medical bills (08-09-06)
- 6News video: Fire victim shares story of survival (11-27-05)
- Judge allows confession in murder, arson case (02-02-07)
- Arson suspect wants statement off record (09-20-06)
- Boardwalk fire victims see some money from state (08-10-06)
- Time barely starting to heal wounds (02-27-06)
- Agent: Design helped fire's spread (02-24-06)
- Deputies honored for bravery (01-25-06)
- Photo Gallery: Jason Allen Rose
- Photo Gallery: After the fire at Boardwalk Apartments
- Photo Gallery: Fire at Boardwalk Apartments
- More in 2005 Boardwalk Fire Â»