Archive for Saturday, July 16, 2005

On the record

July 16, 2005


Law enforcement report

Lawrence Police said Friday that in the past 24 hours they handled:

¢ 241 calls

¢ 36 reports

¢ three burglaries

¢ three thefts

¢ four noninjury accidents

¢ one injury accident

¢ A 22-year-old Lawrence woman told police an 18-year-old acquaintance raped her while she was intoxicated at her home in the south part of Lawrence. It happened between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. June 25 and was reported the same day.

Police have identified the suspect and are awaiting lab results before sending the report to the District Attorney's office for possible charges.

¢ Police arrested a 28-year-old Lawrence man Thursday afternoon on suspicion of kicking an 18-year-old Eudora man in the face during a fight in the 200 block of West Ninth Street. The fight happened at about 5:10 p.m. and stemmed from an automobile accident weeks earlier, police said.

Burglaries and thefts reported

¢ A 74-year-old Lawrence man told police someone stole his Callaway golf clubs valued at $1,750 from the 500 block of Country Club Terrace. The theft happened between 9:30 p.m. Monday and 6:30 a.m. Tuesday.

¢ An employee of Taco Bell, 1408 W. 23rd St., is suspected of stealing $1,300 in cash that was discovered missing from a deposit bag. The theft happened between 1 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. Monday.

Emergency calls

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:

Fire calls

¢ Trash receptacle fire, 11:13 p.m. Thursday, 911 Mass.

¢ Smoke detector activation, no fire, unintentional, 10:45 p.m., Thursday, 2337 Murphy Drive.

¢ Arcing, shorted electrical equipment, 9:45 p.m., Thursday, 2516 Cedarwood Ave.

¢ Smoke detector activation due to malfunction, 5:16 p.m. Thursday, 2711 Ore.

¢ Dispatched fire incident and canceled en route, 3:25 p.m. Thursday, 2108 W. 27th St.

¢ Dispatched fire incident and canceled en route, 2:49 p.m. Thursday, 922 Ky.

¢ Smoke detector activation due to malfunction, 2:21 p.m. Thursday, 3201 Iowa.

¢ Steam, other gas mistaken for smoke, 6:41 a.m. Thursday, 1200 Schwegler Drive.

¢ Smoke or odor removal, 5:57 a.m. Thursday, 2000 Hillview Road.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.