After taking a snow day Thursday, some schools in the area, including Lawrence public schools, announced Thursday night they plan to cancel classes again for today.
"Were going to call school for Friday," said Julie Boyle, Lawrence Public Schools' information officer. "It's basically because of extreme temperatures and because of trouble with the rural roads. So for the safety of our kids, they're going to get a snow day on Friday. "
The temperature this morning was minus 13 degrees, with the windchill factor making it seem like 23 degrees.
Winter weather information
The following other schools will not have class on Friday:
¢ USD 464 Tonganoxie.
¢ USD 434 Santa Fe Trail announced that school at Carbondale will be closed Friday due to a boiler malfunction. All other schools in the Santa Fe Trail School District will remain open.
¢ USD 458 Basehor-Linwood,
¢ Veritas Christian School
¢ Raintree Montessori
¢ The Lawrence Catholic School
¢ Head Start
¢ Sunshine Acres Montessori School
¢ Lawrence Arts Center Preschool
¢ Montessori Children's House
- 6News video: Cold weather, hot cars (12-08-05)
- 6News video: Lawrence program sees shortage of snow-shoveling volunteers (12-08-05)
- Snow removal from streets becomes more challenging (12-09-05)
- Thieves on lookout for cars left to warm up (12-09-05)
- Law requires sidewalks to be shoveled after snows (12-09-05)
- Season's first snowstorm closes schools, ices roads (12-09-05)
- Lawrence and other schools get another snow day Friday (12-09-05)
- Latest forecast