If you're looking for entertainment options outside of this weekend's Kansas Chautauqua, there's plenty to do in the area. The Kansas City Royals are hosting their cross-state rivals, the St. Louis Cardinals in a weekend series at Kauffman Stadium. There's the Red, White and Boom concert today at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Bonner Springs featuring, among others, Maroon 5, Richard Marx, and Liz Phair. Or closer to home, the St. Johns Mexican Fiesta continues this evening. Here are a few other weekend options:
- Territorial Capital Festival, 7 a.m.-midnight today, Elmore Street, Lecompton, (785) 887-6617.
- Scouting Aviation Merit Badge Program, Young Eagles Program, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. today, Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, Main Terminal, Kansas City, Mo., www.kcairshow.com.
- Tree talk and tour with tree seedling giveaways, first 500, 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. today, Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- St. John's Mexican Fiesta, 6 p.m.-11 p.m. today, St. John's Catholic Church, 1204 Kentucky, 843-0109.
- Aviation Expo Tarmac 8K Run & Family Fun Walk, 7:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Sunday, Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, Main Terminal, Kansas City, Mo., www.kcairshow.com.
- "Water Media Show," through Aug. 7, Unity Art Gallery, 900 Madeline, 841-1447. Reception: 4 p.m.-6 p.m. today.
- Paintings by Sue Ashline, through July, Bourgeois Pig, 6 E. Ninth St., 843-1001. Reception: 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Sunday.
- "Spacescapes and Avatars," paintings by Angela Blanchard and Leigh Ann Livingston and ceramics by Barry Coffin, ends today, Harem Salon, 845 N.H., 749-0047.
- Kid's Art Appreciation Class: "Dynamic Dimensions," 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. today, Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Miss., 864-0137.
- "The Frog Prince," 2 p.m. and 6 p.m., The Theatre, Carlsen Center, Johnson County Community College, 12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, (913) 469-4445.
- "Living Out," 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. today, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Missouri Repertory Theatre, 4949 Cherry St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 235-1579.
- "Romance Romance," 7:30 p.m. today and 5 p.m. Sunday, Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall, KU, 864-3982.
- "The Three Musketeers," 7:30 p.m. today and 2 p.m. Sunday, Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H., 843-2787.
- "Take Me Out," 8 p.m. today and 3 p.m. Sunday, Unicorn Theatre, 3828 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 531-PLAY.
- Country Stampede, day and evening today and Sunday, Tuttle Creek State Park, Manhattan, (785) 539-2222.
- Kansas City Kansas Street Blues Festival, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. today, Third and Parallel, Kansas City, (816) 247-2316.
- Red, White and Boom, featuring Maroon 5 with JC Chasez, Richard Marx, Kimberley Locke, Liz Phair, The Calling, Five for Fighting, Tech N9ne, Sugababes, Cherie and JoJo, 2 p.m. today, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Bonner Springs, (913) 721-0001.
- Devil Eat the Groundhog, The Empties, Julia Peterson, 5 p.m. Sunday (early show), Replay Lounge, 946 Mass., 749-7676.
- Tom Eversole, piano, 6:30 p.m. today, Bichelmeyer's Steakhouse, 427 E. Fourth St., Tonganoxie, (913) 369-2337.
- Sunflower Kansas Festival: annual series of chamber orchestra concerts and chamber music, 7:30 p.m. today, White Concert Hall, Washburn University campus, Topeka, (785) 231-1010.
- Oldies Night with Beth Hunter and Claire Creveson, 7:30 p.m. today, Annie's Country Jubilee, Fourth and Main, Tonganoxie, (913) 845-9600.
- Doobie Brothers, 8 p.m. today, Ameristar Casino Hotel, 8201 N.E. Birmingham Road, North Kansas City, Mo., (888) 440-7700.
- Terell Strafford Quintet (Dick Oatis, Dana Hall, Bruce Barth, and Derrick Hodge), 8:30 p.m. today, The Blue Room, 18th and Vine, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 474-8463.
- Hello Superworld, Gravytrain, The Vanishing, 9 p.m. today, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- Import Ants, 9 p.m. today, Stu's Midtown Tavern, 925 Iowa, 749-1666.
- The Border Band, 9:30 p.m.-1 a.m. today, Johnny's Tavern, 401 N. Second, 842-0377.
- Archetype, Hyperspherian, 10 p.m. today, Replay Lounge, 946 Mass., 749-7676.
- Majestics Rhythm Revue, 10 p.m. today, The Jazzhaus, 926 1/2 Mass., 749-3320.
- Kiss, Poison, 7 p.m. Sunday, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Bonner Springs, (913) 721-0001.