Letter to the editor: A conscience
To the editor:
The radical right’s best friend is the radical center. Each time the RR moves one step rightward, the RC moves a half-step, staying at the geometric center of the spectrum. This creates every possible incentive for ongoing RR radicalization.
Thus we have the Dec. 15 Journal-World, simultaneously claiming the Democrats are right to fight Donald Trump’s extorting a foreign leader to investigate a political rival yet wrong to impeach without asking the Supreme Court to force release of relevant documents and testimony Trump is illegally withholding.
Here are a few points the J-W ignores.
1. An appeal to the Supreme Court is exactly what Trump wants, for two reasons: Delay will likely prevent action prior to the 2020 election, and the court has been stacked in Trump’s favor by his recent appointees committed to unchecked presidential power.
2. The sole purpose of impeachment is stopping Trump’s open, ongoing, illegal interference in the 2020 presidential election now, while it still matters.
3. The alleged need for additional evidence on extortion is risible. Trump’s admitted words were “I would like you to do us a favor, though,” when Ukraine asked for release of military aid it was legally owed so it could combat an invasion by Trump’s friend Vladimir Putin.
4. The J-W overlooks Trump’s even more serious attack on constitutional order: blanket withholding of evidence constitutes rejection of congressional oversight and the checks-and-balances system.
5. No one believes additional evidence will change votes in the Senate. Key facts are already well known. We need GOP conscience, not facts.