McLouth man convicted of aggravated assault in Lawrence shooting case
photo by: Contributed photo
One of two McLouth men facing charges in a Lawrence shooting case was convicted in Douglas County District Court on Wednesday after agreeing to a plea deal.
Jaren B. Collins, 19, pleaded no contest to an amended charge of aggravated assault, based upon the plea agreement, the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office said on Thursday. Collins is scheduled for sentencing on June 18.
The other man in the case, Camdon J. Collins, 18, is scheduled for a plea hearing on Tuesday, according to court records.
The charges the men were facing stemmed from a reported gunfire exchange around 1 a.m. on Jan. 4 in the 2400 block of Louisiana Street.
Lawrence Police Department spokesperson Patrick Compton told the Journal-World at the time that officers spoke to witnesses at the scene who had heard gunfire, but it did not appear as though anyone was injured, and the department had not received any reports of related injuries.
Both men were arrested on suspicion of first-degree attempted murder, but were charged with less severe felony offenses of criminal discharge of a firearm into an occupied vehicle, the Journal-World previously reported.
Additionally, a 17-year-old boy was also charged with criminal discharge of a weapon for allegedly firing at an occupied vehicle in the same incident, the Journal-World reported. The boy’s case is scheduled for a trial setting hearing on June 16, according to court records.
Contact Dylan Lysen
Have a story idea, news or information to share? Contact reporter Dylan Lysen: