May 29, 2018
- Your Turn: We should address racism, sexism with no fear
- Lawrence prides itself on being a progressive and inclusive community, but rarely engages in the tough conversations necessary to live up to our values of equity.
May 9, 2018
- Your Turn: We must end incessant school litigation
- The framers of our national and state constitutions understood that the power to tax and appropriate funds must be placed in the hands of the Legislature, the governing body of the people. The Kansas Coalition for Fair Funding supports a constitutional amendment that will re-establish this fundamental principle of democracy and will end the continuous cycle of litigation.
May 5, 2018
- Opinion: Have we learned? A test is coming
- In 2012, Kansas lawmakers cut income taxes in a bigger, faster, more dramatic way than any other state had done. And revenue from tax collections dropped like a rock, causing Kansas to enter a multiyear period of serious financial trouble.
April 27, 2018
June 20, 2018
- Opinion: Can Libertarian Weld restore conservatism?
- “This,” exclaimed Margaret Thatcher, thumping Friedrich Hayek’s 500-page tome “The Constitution of Liberty” on a table in front of some Conservative Party colleagues, “is what we believe.” It also is what Bill Weld believes, which is why he aspires to be the Libertarian Party’s 2020 presidential candidate.
- Opinion: Immigrant children are real children
- “Illegals” have faces. This is what Republicans are learning to their chagrin amid mounting international outrage over the new policy of separating immigrant children from their families at our southern border. For years, the party has pretended otherwise. It has denied undocumented immigrants their personhood, casting them instead as an abstract threat — rape! gangs! murder! — against anyone who makes the mistake of compassion.
- Opinion: ‘Deal’ with Kim far from closed
- President Trump boasted last weekend that his “denuclearization deal” with Kim Jong Un could “save potentially millions & millions of lives!” He even proclaimed in the exhilaration of his return from Singapore: “There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea.”
- Opinion: But her emails? You’re dang right her emails
- When the Justice Department inspector general’s report revealed that former FBI director James B. Comey had used a personal email account to conduct official business, Hillary Clinton claimed vindication. “But my emails,” she tweeted. Yes, Madam Secretary, your emails.
June 19, 2018
The recent loss of two lives at the Jeffrey Energy Center serves as a tragic reminder of the brave public ...
It’s time to restore the men’s tennis program at the University of Kansas. Most large universities have been able to ...
The Douglas County district attorney must transfer the case of the use of deadly force by a Lawrence police officer ...