- Editorial: No guarantees
- City officials should take a pass on a request to get financially involved in a local company’s plans to deploy super-fast Internet services in Lawrence.
- September 2, 2014
- Super-fast Internet service is the latest big thing. It is touted as the way to give cities a headstart on the future and attract major business development. Google Fiber’s decision to deploy gigabit service in the Kansas City metropolitan area was seen as a huge coup.
August 31, 2014
- Your turn: Expectations guide police plans
- One of the tasks of a leader of any organization is to look at how prepared it is to accomplish the mission expected of it. As a Lawrence resident for 29 years and a member of the Lawrence Police Department for 23 of those, I have an appreciation for what I believe is the expectation of police in Lawrence. The culmination of historical input of residents, city leaders and officers who have gone before us makes us all shareholders in the definition of this expectation.
August 30, 2014
- Opinion: Aging population needs more doctors
- All of us are getting older, but those of us at the bottom of the actuarial tables face particular challenges. Most of us lead full lives but we worry about our increasing ailments. We also worry that small aches are preludes to something more serious.
August 27, 2014
- Opinion: Appeasement won’t stop evil
- The beheading of James Foley by members of the so-called Islamic State in Syria and Iraq is just one more in a long series of savage and barbarous acts by what should be categorized as an international criminal group. Unfortunately the reign of terror that these murderers have perpetrated upon thousands of men and women in Syria and parts of Iraq has not lessened and will not lessen until they have either killed every single human being opposed to their ideas and dominance or they are simply wiped off the face of the earth.
August 23, 2014
September 2, 2014
- Opinion: Challenges lie ahead for Saudi Arabia
- With Iraq and Syria ablaze, the oil-rich kingdom of Saudi Arabia seems almost an afterthought. But Riyadh will be a crucial, if quixotic, ally as the U.S. seeks to mobilize Sunni Muslims against the terrorist Islamic State.
- Opinion: Scotland weighs independent future
- “The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry.” — Scottish poet Robert Burns, “To a Mouse” (1786) For Americans whose knowledge of this beautiful land is limited to kilts, whiskey, bagpipes and the film “Braveheart,” the forthcoming referendum on whether Scotland should remain part of the United Kingdom or become an independent nation will come as a curiosity at best.
September 1, 2014
- Opinion: Ryan’s approach polite, intellectual
- To take the measure of this uncommonly interesting public man, begin with two related facts about him. Paul Ryan has at least 67 cousins in his Wisconsin hometown of Janesville, where there are six Ryan households within eight blocks of his home. And in his new book, “The Way Forward: Renewing the American Idea,” he says something few politicians say, which is why so many are neither trusted nor respected. Ryan says he was wrong.
- Opinion: Ten reasons to value honest labor
- 1. Never look down on somebody who holds a job and rides the bus to the end of the line. These are the people who labor their whole lives but are never rewarded with tangible success. Not every dog has its day; some simply work their tails off. My father was one of those guys: never missed a day, never missed a beat and barely made a dime. But he taught my brother and me how to get a job done. Old Italians would grab their kids and say, “The more you have in there,” pointing to our heads, “the less you have to put on there,” pointing to our backs. My brother and I benefited from my father’s integrity, his stamina and his gratitude for having a job.
August 29, 2014
I have been watching and listening to what has been going on in Ferguson, Mo., due to the tragic death ...
Our paranoid Kansas secretary of state and the “do nothing” Congress have joined forces to make our fair state yet ...
As a business owner and someone who is involved in the community, I have had many conversations about a consolidated, ...