Archive for Saturday, March 16, 2013

North Lawrence accident leaves pedestrian with serious injuries

March 16, 2013, 9:14 p.m. Updated March 17, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

Emergency crews respond to a pedestrian-vehicle accident near the intersection of North Second and Lincoln Streets in North Lawrence.

A vehicle-pedestrian accident in North Lawrence left a 37-year-old Lawrence man with serious injuries Saturday night.

At 9:02 p.m. Saturday, Douglas County Emergency Dispatch received a call reporting that a pedestrian had been hit by a vehicle near the intersection of North Second and Lincoln streets.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Randy Roberts said the man was walking west across North Second Street between Lincoln and Lyon streets when a northbound silver four-door Buick driven by a 21-year-old Lawrence woman struck the man.

The man was taken by air ambulance to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka. Sunday morning, Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz said the pedestrian's injuries were not expected to be life-threatening.

Fultz said they were not yet able to release the names of those involved.

Police closed North Second Street near the accident scene for a time.

The names of the victim and driver were not released Saturday night.

Comments

kawrivercrow 1 year, 1 month ago

Ratso Rizzo said it like most people think it.

"Hey!! I'm walking here"

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't know what happened, but crossing a street is very simple.

Do NOT cross until it is clear. Do not stand in the street waiting to cross. If there are no cars coming, you will not get hit. Just wait!

consumer1 1 year, 1 month ago

Why are the taxpayer's paying for an emergency room at Lawrence memorial hospital if nobody is sent there???

Steve Jacob 1 year, 1 month ago

Always a debate, if the pedestrian is not in the crosswalk, and the driver is going the speed limit and not drunk, it's usually the pedestrians fault. Sure you should drive defensibly, but if other people do something wrong, a driver or someone crossing the street, accidents happen.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 1 month ago

^^bearded_gnome 1 day ago

---I hope he recovers. somehow I don't think there's supposed to be a pedestrian there:

---sheesh! that's all I said.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 1 month ago

^^mmisin2 10 hours, 34 minutes ago

Because they landed the Life Flight helicopter on the street to evacuate the wounded man. They set up a detour. I was at the Union Pacific depot when it happened. The response time to the accident was excellent and I was amazed at how quickly the helicopter arrived at the scene. Regardless of how this occurred, many people worked quickly and efficiently to help this man.

---right on!

and I agree w/your other comment: it's no mean feat that, landing a copter there! good job by many all around!

Patriot2 1 year, 1 month ago

Thank you, my point exactly.

gccs14r 1 year, 1 month ago

Also, if you're crossing a roadway at night, it would behoove you to run, even if you're wearing reflective clothing and crossing in a crosswalk with a traffic light. Don't assume anyone will see you or stop. Right-of-way is nice, but it's better to remain in one piece.

Patriot2 1 year, 1 month ago

Not putting blame on either party. Just pointing out the law as it is written.

Patriot2 1 year, 1 month ago

Just a little interesting reading thought you might enjoy. History: L. 1974, ch. 33, § 8-1533; July 1. Pedestrian responsibilities at intersections other than crosswalks defined) (a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(b) Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(c) Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

(d) No pedestrian shall cross a roadway intersection diagonally unless authorized by official traffic-control devices; and, when authorized to cross diagonally, pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the official traffic-control devices pertaining to such crossing movements.

miniflavors 1 year, 1 month ago

It is the LAW.......That if you DRIVE any kind of car.....a person walking has the ride of way... even if there is NO CROSS WALK>>>>...THE LAW :)

DillonBarnes 1 year, 1 month ago

Maybe we don't know enough information to place blame on either party! Drivers have a responsibility to not hit people, people have a responsibility to not enter a traffic filled road.

Patriot2 1 year, 1 month ago

And what happened to "everyone" obeying traffic laws? The crosswalks are placed there for what purpose? To cross the street. As I've read on posts here several times, "It's not rocket science." I personally do not want to put myself in the position to become a hood ornament for any vehicle and then argue the law is on my side from a hospital bed. If there is not a crosswalk where you cross, then you are breaking the law and should be ticketed and fined.

madhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I've had drivers come close to hitting me while I was crossing at a crosswalk. In a school zone, no less. I have come to expect that vehicles are going to cut me off even though I have a signal to cross. The arrogance and blatant disregard for the law by some drivers is amazing.

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 1 month ago

Prayers are with the victim. One question. Was the Driver on her phone or texting? The place where the accident occured is lighted well enough that if you were paying attention you should be able to see someone crossing the street.

none2 1 year, 1 month ago

The safest place to cross this street (which is also part of US-59 & US-40 highway routes for those not familiar with the area), is the levee route under the bridge. Most are not going to go to that point so far south to cross.

It is too bad that there isn't another under road (or over road for that matter) route further north such as the Pinckney School has to cross the highway. However, there aren't any schools around or any large drawing business that would justify to the city to pay for such a crossing. I love the tunnels that cross under the railroad bridge, but then they do not cross under the the highway. They just cross under the railroad bridge.

mmisin2 1 year, 1 month ago

UfoPilot 1 year, 1 month ago

Why did they block off the entire street for two blocks?

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 1 month ago

When driving a vehicle, you need to be prepared for anything. One time I was driving down Tennessee street in my convertible rather slowly well after dark when a movement just slightly to my left caught my eye. It was a drunken teenager crossing the street in the middle of the block. With a terrific screech of the brakes, I managed to stop my car only three or so feet from striking him.

Then, he stopped and screamed at me, then proceeded to cross the street in front of my car.

That was the closest I ever came to an accident without actually having one.

otto 1 year, 1 month ago

I would expect my 10 year old to get hit by a car if they were crossing north 2nd at 9 pm in the dark.

repaste 1 year, 1 month ago

A driver of a car has a legal obligation to be prepared for and to avoid "things that are not supposed to be there", Simple It might be your 10 year old chasing a ball someday.

Loretta James 1 year, 1 month ago

i believe the speed limit is 45 thru there he should have crossed at 2nd and lyons at the light. I do hope he recovers with no lasting effects. A few extra steps could have prevented this.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 1 month ago

Patriot2 1 year, 1 month ago

Any one know who was involved?

LadyJ 1 year, 1 month ago

Best wishes for recovery.