Archive for Saturday, March 16, 2013

North Lawrence accident leaves pedestrian with serious injuries

March 16, 2013, 9:14 p.m. Updated March 17, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

Emergency crews respond to a pedestrian-vehicle accident near the intersection of North Second and Lincoln Streets in North Lawrence.

A vehicle-pedestrian accident in North Lawrence left a 37-year-old Lawrence man with serious injuries Saturday night.

At 9:02 p.m. Saturday, Douglas County Emergency Dispatch received a call reporting that a pedestrian had been hit by a vehicle near the intersection of North Second and Lincoln streets.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Randy Roberts said the man was walking west across North Second Street between Lincoln and Lyon streets when a northbound silver four-door Buick driven by a 21-year-old Lawrence woman struck the man.

The man was taken by air ambulance to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka. Sunday morning, Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz said the pedestrian's injuries were not expected to be life-threatening.

Fultz said they were not yet able to release the names of those involved.

Police closed North Second Street near the accident scene for a time.

The names of the victim and driver were not released Saturday night.

Comments

Patriot2 2 years ago

Any one know who was involved?

shaunepec 2 years ago

Just spoke with police, but they didn't have any names to release. We'll keep checking.

Shaun Hittle Reporter Lawrence Journal-World

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

---I hope he recovers. somehow I don't think there's supposed to be a pedestrian there:

Loretta James 2 years ago

i believe the speed limit is 45 thru there he should have crossed at 2nd and lyons at the light. I do hope he recovers with no lasting effects. A few extra steps could have prevented this.

repaste 2 years ago

A driver of a car has a legal obligation to be prepared for and to avoid "things that are not supposed to be there", Simple It might be your 10 year old chasing a ball someday.

Bob Forer 2 years ago

You obviously don't know the law. Nowhere does it say that a motorist has "a legal obligation to be prepared for and to avoid things that are not supposed to be there." Instead they have a obligation to drive at a reasonably prudent speed consistent with existing circumstances and to exercise due caution in the operation of their motor vehicle.

elliottaw 2 years ago

people in lawrence seem to think you can saunter across a street without looking and the world will just stop for you, most don't even look both ways

Beth Ennis 2 years ago

None of us know what happened, but if I had to GUESS, which is what we are all doing at this point, if North Lawrence is anything like the Oread neighborhood where I live, there are no street lights except at the corner, which means this person was probably in the dark and saw the car, thinking the car would see him. That isn't the case when there are no street lights, the driver probably didn't see him until it was too late to stop. Also, according to the law, if a pedestrian is jaywalking, which is crossing a street outside of a crosswalk, the driver of the car is not going to be ticketed unless they are drunk or under the influence. But again, this is all a GUESS.

vermont 2 years ago

Why don't you get another hobby? One that doesn't include constant self-verification byway of belittling others in an anonymous blog for the Lawrence Journal World. You single-highhandedly degrade this quality paper and this quality community and the folks that make an attempt in other, more valuable ways, to contribute. No wonder we can't get more quality people running for office, it's because of people like you. I agree with repaste, good luck in life sir. Prayers for this man and his family.

otto 2 years ago

I would expect my 10 year old to get hit by a car if they were crossing north 2nd at 9 pm in the dark.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

When driving a vehicle, you need to be prepared for anything. One time I was driving down Tennessee street in my convertible rather slowly well after dark when a movement just slightly to my left caught my eye. It was a drunken teenager crossing the street in the middle of the block. With a terrific screech of the brakes, I managed to stop my car only three or so feet from striking him.

Then, he stopped and screamed at me, then proceeded to cross the street in front of my car.

That was the closest I ever came to an accident without actually having one.

Bob Forer 2 years ago

Don't be silly, Ron. We're not talking walking point on a patrol in the bush. We're talking about driving a car here.

repaste 2 years ago

Much more dangerous than point in the bush. You guys are freaking me out.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

I don't understand. I was talking about driving a car, and I have no idea what you mean by "walking point on a patrol in the bush."

And, Google never heard of such a thing either.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

That would mean a military unit on patrol, the bush refers to the area outside of the compound and/or city, and walking point means the soldier that is first in line, he/she is supposed to spot trouble and alert the others.

Beth Ennis 2 years ago

I'm quite sure the lack of street lights in that area was why you didn't see him before you did. I don't even like walking on the sidewalks in the dark because you can't see anything. This town needs street lights in the middle of blocks, not just on the corners.

UfoPilot 2 years ago

Why did they block off the entire street for two blocks?

Mark Mitscher 2 years ago

Because they landed the Life Flight helicopter on the street to evacuate the wounded man. They set up a detour. I was at the Union Pacific depot when it happened. The response time to the accident was excellent and I was amazed at how quickly the helicopter arrived at the scene. Regardless of how this occurred, many people worked quickly and efficiently to help this man.

Mark Mitscher 2 years ago

If you look closely, you can see the helicopter in this photo. Given all the power lines in the area, it was no mean feat to land at this location.

mom_of_three 2 years ago

maybe the pedestrian was on his phone texting or taking and stepped out in front of the car?? that could happen too.

madhawk 2 years ago

I've had drivers come close to hitting me while I was crossing at a crosswalk. In a school zone, no less. I have come to expect that vehicles are going to cut me off even though I have a signal to cross. The arrogance and blatant disregard for the law by some drivers is amazing.

Patriot2 2 years ago

And what happened to "everyone" obeying traffic laws? The crosswalks are placed there for what purpose? To cross the street. As I've read on posts here several times, "It's not rocket science." I personally do not want to put myself in the position to become a hood ornament for any vehicle and then argue the law is on my side from a hospital bed. If there is not a crosswalk where you cross, then you are breaking the law and should be ticketed and fined.

DillonBarnes 2 years ago

Maybe we don't know enough information to place blame on either party! Drivers have a responsibility to not hit people, people have a responsibility to not enter a traffic filled road.

miniflavors 2 years ago

It is the LAW.......That if you DRIVE any kind of car.....a person walking has the ride of way... even if there is NO CROSS WALK>>>>...THE LAW :)

elliottaw 2 years ago

It is the LAW the you must cross the street in a crosswalk....THE LAW

FarneyMac 2 years ago

There should be a law about being this stupid - "ride of way?"

Patriot2 2 years ago

Just a little interesting reading thought you might enjoy. History: L. 1974, ch. 33, § 8-1533; July 1. Pedestrian responsibilities at intersections other than crosswalks defined) (a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(b) Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(c) Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

(d) No pedestrian shall cross a roadway intersection diagonally unless authorized by official traffic-control devices; and, when authorized to cross diagonally, pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the official traffic-control devices pertaining to such crossing movements.

repaste 2 years ago

8-1535. Same; drivers to exercise due care. (Drivers shall exercise due care to avoid collisions with pedestrians) Notwithstanding other provisions of this article or the provisions of any local ordinance, every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian and shall give warning by sounding the horn when necessary and shall exercise proper precaution upon observing any child or any obviously confused or incapacitated person. The law is the law, and when reading, you have to add last paragraph.

Patriot2 2 years ago

I listed: History: L. 1974, ch. 33, § 8-1533; July 1.

8-1534. Same; crossing roadway at location other than crosswalk. (Pedestrian responsibilities at intersections other than crosswalks defined) (a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

You've copied: History: L. 1974, ch. 33, § 8-1534; July 1.

W

Patriot2 2 years ago

I can continue with: History: L. 1974, ch. 33, § 8-1536; July 1.

8-1537. Same; use of roadways. (Pedestrian movements in roadways directed) (a) Where a sidewalk is provided and its use is practicable, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway.

(b) Where a sidewalk is not available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk only on a shoulder, as far as practicable from the edge of the roadway.

(c) Where neither a sidewalk nor a shoulder is available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk as near as practicable to an outside edge of the roadway, and, if on a two-way roadway, shall walk only on the left side of the roadway.

(d) Except as otherwise provided in this article, any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

But I didn't think it was relevant, the law continues and is rather lengthy.

Patriot2 2 years ago

Not putting blame on either party. Just pointing out the law as it is written.

gccs14r 2 years ago

Also, if you're crossing a roadway at night, it would behoove you to run, even if you're wearing reflective clothing and crossing in a crosswalk with a traffic light. Don't assume anyone will see you or stop. Right-of-way is nice, but it's better to remain in one piece.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

^^mmisin2 10 hours, 34 minutes ago

---right on!

and I agree w/your other comment: it's no mean feat that, landing a copter there! good job by many all around!

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

^^bearded_gnome 1 day ago

---sheesh! that's all I said.

Steve Jacob 2 years ago

Always a debate, if the pedestrian is not in the crosswalk, and the driver is going the speed limit and not drunk, it's usually the pedestrians fault. Sure you should drive defensibly, but if other people do something wrong, a driver or someone crossing the street, accidents happen.

Joan Kelly 2 years ago

Because Lawrence Memorial is not a trauma center hospital. A trauma center provides expert emergency care to individuals who have experienced a serious injury from an external force. Stormont-Vail is the closest trauma center to Lawrence. Hospitals that are not trauma centers have emergency rooms because plenty of people in the community have emergency needs that are not trauma related (e.g. heart attacks which Lawrence Memorial provides award-winning care for).

Joan Kelly 2 years ago

And also, Lawrence Memorial receives no tax support from the City of Lawrence or Douglas County.

kawrivercrow 2 years ago

Ratso Rizzo said it like most people think it.

"Hey!! I'm walking here"