Midwinter hibernation is upon us. While you’d think broadcasters would counterprogram against the cold with shows about tropical island adventures and bachelors in hot tubs, some have embraced the freeze. NBC offers three hours of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships (7 p.m. Saturday), while the “Winter X Games” (8 p.m. Saturday and 8 p.m. Sunday, ESPN) continue from Aspen, Colo.
Looking for fake snow and cheap thrills in a wintry setting? Bigfoot attacks a resort hosting a ski and snowboarding competition in the 2013 shocker “Abominable Snowman” (8 p.m. Saturday, Syfy), starring Adrian Paul (“Highlander”) and Chuck Campbell (“Sanctuary”). If monsters weren’t bad enough, an avalanche strikes in the middle of a blizzard!
• Fans of formerly boyish stars in period costumes should not miss Ricky Schroder (“NYPD Blue”) and Luke Perry (“Beverly Hills 90210”) in the made-for-cable Western “Goodnight for Justice: Queen of Hearts” (7 p.m. Saturday, Hallmark Movie Channel).
Saturday’s other highlights
• Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing and Jada Pinkett Smith star in the critically savaged 2008 remake of “The Women” (6 p.m., E!), a film that seemed to have more big-name stars than viewers.
• Scheduled on two episodes of “48 Hours” (CBS): foiling a home invasion (8 p.m.), death in the hotel business (9 p.m.).
• Beverly Johnson, Charlene Tilton and Jimmy Wayne discuss their encounters with departed spirits on “Celebrity Ghost Stories” (8 p.m., Bio).
• A street urchin faces vigilante justice after the brutal murder of a toy merchant on “Ripper Street” (8 p.m., BBC America).
• An Idiot Abroad” (8 p.m., Science) ventures to India.
• Experts discuss how the quest for luxury items has been a driving force in human history on “Mankind Decoded” (9 p.m., H2).
• Adam Levine hosts “Saturday Night Live” (10:30 p.m., NBC), featuring musical guest Kendrick Lamar.
Stranded on a desert island, British schoolboys descend into savagery in the harrowing 1963 drama “Lord of the Flies” (10 p.m. Saturday, TCM).
— Copyright 2012 United Feature Syndicate, distributed by Universal Uclick.