Topeka “Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?” (8 p.m. Saturday, WE) enters its third season with Melissa mulling the possible end to her relationship with a wealthy pornographer and Joan beginning a budding friendship with an unattached lesbian.
For all of its obvious “outrageousness,” this show breaks little new ground in the fading-celebrity reality genre. There’s about 10 minutes of “drama” in this hourlong ordeal.
During five-minute stints on talk shows, Rivers can still be as sharp, caustic and irreverent as any comic working. But 60 minutes of this slow, obvious and belabored show make her look bored, tired and slightly desperate. You can’t help feeling that Joan Rivers the comic would say rude and hateful things about Joan Rivers the reality star if they weren’t the same person.
• If Pam Grier can appear in a Hallmark movie (“Ladies of the House,” 2008), why not Sonia Braga? The sultry Brazilian actress (“Dona Flora and Her Two Husbands,” ‘‘Kiss of the Spider Woman”) stars in the 2013 romantic comedy “Meddling Mom” (7 p.m. Saturday, Hallmark Movie Channel). Tony Plana (“Ugly Betty”) co-stars.
• Brad Dourif stars in the 2013 shocker “End of the World” (8 p.m. Saturday, Syfy). Think the recent Siberian meteorite story was freaky? Try dollops of blood plasma falling from the sky. The gooey precipitation leads to power outages and all-around chaos. Faced with the apocalypse, two video store employees use their knowledge of every disaster movie ever made to save humanity. Given last week’s events, the most far-fetched aspect of “End of the World” is the existence of a video store!
Saturday’s other highlights
• Jennifer Hudson (“Smash,” ‘‘American Idol”) upstaged an all-star cast, including Jamie Foxx, Beyonce Knowles and Eddie Murphy, to snag an Oscar for the 2006 musical “Dreamgirls” (7 p.m., ABC), based on the story of the Supremes.
• “Vanity Fair’s Hollywood” (9 p.m., CBS) offers a glance inside the making of a magazine issue linked to Sunday’s Oscar ceremonies.
• The 2013 Independent Spirit Awards (9 p.m., IFC).
• Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Matt Lucas, Delia Smith and Rita Ora appear on “The Graham Norton Show” (9:15 p.m., BBC America).
— Copyright 2013 United Feature Syndicate, distributed by Universal Uclick.