As noted Friday, HBO and Showtime offer rival documentaries about music superstars. “Beyonce: Life Is But a Dream” (8 p.m. Saturday, HBO) mixes interviews with the pop star with performance footage past and present. Much like “History of the Eagles” (7 p.m. Saturday, Showtime), it features “intimate” insights larded with glittering generalities and undercut by the slick atmospherics of public relations.
While we’re on the subject, you can prime yourself for “Beyonce” with her appearance on “Oprah’s Next Chapter” (7 p.m. Saturday, OWN).
• Having starred for years as the creepy older brother on “iCarly,” Jerry Trainor returns in “Wendell & Vinnie” (7 p.m. Saturday, Nickelodeon). He’s Vinnie, a “wacky” and terminally immature uncle. As on sitcoms of yore, he’s gained custody of Wendell (Buddy Handleson), a bookish nerd who, in the logic of this laugh-track-drenched sitcom, betrays no ill effects of having recently lost his parents in a sudden accident.
Trainor’s character wears his inappropriateness on his sleeve. The show appears to go out of its way to be willfully perverse, blending the “odd couple” and “bachelor father” genres into a meaningless vehicle for loud and relentless one-liners. Vinnie even uses the death of Wendell’s parents as a “line” to get out of trouble and to pick up girls.
‘‘Wendell & Vinnie” becomes the latest in a series of shows to waste the talents of Nicole Sullivan (“MADtv”), who co-stars as Vinnie’s desperate, man-starved sister.
Saturday’s other highlights
• A lad (Daniel Radcliffe) with glasses saves the day in the 2002 adaptation of “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” (7 p.m., ABC).
• Salli Richardson-Whitfield, Nicole Ari Parker and Ernie Hudson star in the 2009 drama of redemption “Pastor Brown” (7 p.m., Lifetime).
• “Stories From the Road to Freedom” (7 p.m., History) profiles notable, if unheralded, African-Americans, from the time of the Emancipation Proclamation to the Civil Rights era.
• Christoph Waltz hosts “Saturday Night Live” (10:30 p.m., NBC), featuring musical guest Alabama Shakes.
— Copyright 2012 United Feature Syndicate, distributed by Universal Uclick.