Archive for Saturday, October 13, 2012

Wetlands advocates look for new ways to stop construction of South Lawrence Trafficway as legal battle ends

Millicent Pepion, former leader of the Wetlands Preservation Organization, is pictured Thursday at the Medicine Wheel located on the southern edge of the Haskell Indian Nations University campus. Pepion and others fear that this area will be affected by the construction of the South Lawrence Trafficway.

October 13, 2012

Timeline

Click here to see a timeline of events about the South Lawrence Trafficway.

At one time, Patrick Austin Freeland thought a fancy suit and a trip to Washington, D.C., probably was the best way to stave off the South Lawrence Trafficway.

Freeland, like dozens upon dozens of Haskell Indian Nations University students over the last two decades, has been a crusader to stop the South Lawrence Trafficway from being built through the wetlands that are owned by Haskell and Baker universities along 31st Street.

For Freeland and others, the battle has meant more than carrying a sign to a protest now and then. Freeland served as the president of the Wetlands Preservation Organization, an organization that has been a longtime plaintiff in a federal lawsuit regarding the route of the road.

It also meant trips across the country to lobby to groups both sympathetic and hostile to the cause. Freeland was dressed and ready to depart for such a meeting in Washington when one of the resident assistants at the Haskell dormitory asked the young man in the suit where he was going.

Freeland told him, in essence, he was off to try to save the wetlands.

“He just laughed a bit,” Freeland said of the issue that happened several years ago. “He said I didn’t have to do that, and he was so sure of it. I asked him why, and he said, ‘Because there is medicine down there. The wetlands has its own medicine.’ That has stuck with me.”

Soon, the medicine is going to get tested.

• • •

Last week marked the end of the legal battle over the South Lawrence Trafficway. A deadline to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court a federal court decision in favor of the road’s wetland route came and went. For the first time since 1994, the trafficway has all the federal permits it needs for construction, and all the legal appeals related to the permits have been exhausted.

Kansas Department of Transportation officials have said construction on the $192 million road project should begin in about a year, about 23 years after Douglas County voters approved a $4 million local bond issue for the road.

But lawyers haven’t been the only constant these past two decades in the trafficway fight. As sure as the sound of the croaking frogs along the wetlands’ boardwalk, a new crop of Haskell students every couple of years would enter the fray and make their own noise.

“Every group has passed the torch to the next one,” said Dan Wildcat, a Haskell professor and a longtime defender of the wetlands.

The issue of protecting the wetlands from the road became so ingrained in Haskell students that it really became a significant part of the educational experience at the university, Wildcat said.

“I think a whole group of students have learned that it is hard work to be politically engaged,” Wildcat said. “It is not easy. But I always have been proud of them. They always have conducted themselves honorably, even when they expressed their opinions strongly.”

Despite the end of the legal proceedings, Wildcat doesn’t think students will stop fighting for the wetlands. Several wetlands supporters last week said they expect the opposition movement to enter a more political lobbying phase, especially seeking to enlist the help of groups that may object to the project’s estimated $192 million price tag.

“It has all the elements to be a national issue, especially in the Indian community,” Wildcat said. “You know, it takes a lot of money to build a highway like that. I think there will be an effort to build political awareness and convince lawmakers that there might be better ways to spend that much money.”

• • •

Millicent Pepion found the wetlands early in her Haskell career.

That’s the way it is with many Haskell students and the wetlands. It is more than just an area of rich environmental diversity. Many in the Haskell community believe the wetlands area — parts of which were farmed in the early parts of the century — are the resting place of children who went missing from the Haskell Institute in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

No graves have been unearthed in the wetlands, but wetland supporters have said they’ll be monitoring construction of the road closely to ensure burial sites aren’t found, if construction does begin on the road.

The spiritual significance of the wetlands is one reason why a multimillion-dollar mitigation plan, which will build more than 300 acres of new wetlands, plus bike paths, camping grounds and a wetlands education just west of the current wetlands, has done little to mute the opposition from Haskell students.

“As I’ve learned more about this, I’ve realized this really isn’t an environmental issue,” said Pepion, who also is a former president of the Wetlands Preservation Organization. “It is really an eco-justice issue. This is about the desecration of a sacred place.”

Freeland said that’s been an element that’s never been well understood during all the legal wrangling, in part because there’s no easy metric to measure how sacred a place is.

“It is like an elderly person,” said Freeland, who is now studying for his doctorate in ecological science and engineering at Purdue University. “Somebody asks you the value of an elderly person. You can’t describe that in one way. You just have to say ‘get to know the person, and you might learn something.’”

• • •

What started out as a search for a picnic spot led to a much longer journey for Pepion.

Last summer, Pepion organized the “Trail of Broken Promises,” an event where she and 12 other wetlands supporters and a dog traveled from Osawatomie to Washington, D.C., primarily on foot, a nine-week journey that led her to take a semester off school.

“My dad is funny,” Pepion said. “He said, ‘Why couldn’t you have just bought a pass to the Jayhawks instead of trying to save the wetlands?’”

But the experience has been worth it, she said.

“I’ve learned a lot about the meaning of politics,” Pepion said. “I’ve learned how it can really affect your daily life. They say that these decisions in Washington trickle down and find their way into your daily life. I understand that now.”

And that’s what she is hoping for in the future. While in Washington, D.C., Pepion made contacts with members of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, the National Congress of American Indians, and even had a personal conversation with Bill Clinton at the conference for his Global Initiatives Fund.

Pepion and others are working to build support for a federal law called the Native American Sacred Place Act, which could provide new federal protections to the Haskell and Baker Wetlands.

The bill hasn’t yet had a hearing. Whether the votes will ever be there to pass the legislation is tough to know. But Pepion is confident what won’t be lacking is the one thing that Haskell students long have delivered to the issue: the persistence to keep pushing.

“What I know is, they have been building this road for over 20 years now,” Pepion said. “And it hasn’t been built yet. That is what keeps me going.”

Comments

ThingTwo 1 year, 5 months ago

why wont they just take that stupid 4-way stop at Louisiana and 31st down and put up a light then rip through Mary's lake? I hate that 4-way stop and it seems to never get brought up. Instead I have to read about settlers and how horrible the past was. If it were up to me I'd just put in a green light at Louisiana and 31st, cut through Mary's lake area and plow right through Allen Field house just cause I hate stuff that has to do with the past! stupid past!

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

I think the far left should consider mass genocide as a means of protest!! Maybe set yourselves on fire on the existing wet lands. That'll show em you mean business.

IdahoWinds 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey Ben - I don't deny most of the examples that Tuschie brings up. My point is that they have NOTHING to do with this situation. I agree it is sacred to some individual Indians. What I am saying is that unless it is a tribal issue it has no relevance to U.S. Indian Law. There are no unmarked graves in the Baker Wetlands and so the road is not a threat to exposing them. Besides, the construction method does not have any way to expose any remains. So all of Tuschie's threats about closing down the project are strawmen. That's my point. He and Mike Caron (Bozo) are irrelevant now that the court case(s) is over. Move on to something they can actually have any influence on. Stop flailing at windmills!

benofthebull 1 year, 5 months ago

Here you go for the millions that obviously didn't learn any of this ever, and no this is not my blog, I or anyone I know have no affliation to this blog, a Lakota friend sent me the link:

benofthebull 1 year, 5 months ago

It's funny how white folks always label things or people as insane that they don't or more accurately won't understand. or if something doesn't fit into their neat little boxes of limited knowledge they are fast to simply label them as insane and be done with it.

I'm still sticking to what I said before, how many of the anti-tusch/anti-indian people on this forum actually research the points tusch has made? Or do you all simply believe them to be the workings of an insane person, therefore easily making them gibberish?

Now let the closet racists give their ignorant comments and show their true colors.

benofthebull 1 year, 5 months ago

Keep bringing up great points tusch! The truth is hard for most to take, in fact when faced with the truth people usually react with anger. You're words about native people not going anywhere are spot on, just as us govt policy of a hundred plus years ago tried to eradicate all traces of native people and now people like these uninformed here are trying that same eradication, native people will still be here! As a Dine friend once told me eight years ago; "While this world buries itself in corruption and hate, the higher powers have taken notice. And when those higher powers have had enough, native people will ascend to the fifth world free from the hatred of this wretched place."

Mike Ford 1 year, 5 months ago

actually Dr. Wildcat is a mentor of mine......Mr. Haines is a private man whom I respect. Nice of you to ignore the many examples throughout US-Native peoples history of people acting as brazen and disrespectful towards the environment and trying to flip it on the people that just won't let them do what they want and be quiet. Sorry.....I'm not quiet.....

IdahoWinds 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm sure that at Choctaw functions he is recognized, and perhaps even respected. At HINU he would certainly be recognized by Dan Wildcat and Chuck Haines, but both probably roll their eyes when he comes.

Mike Ford 1 year, 5 months ago

nice try liberal.....always looking for sellouts or friendlies.....I went to KU a number of years ago when the Military School at Fort Leavenworth sent military science professors to speak to the public. The terms they used for Iraq and Afghanistan were straight out of the Plains Indian Wars. Win over hearts and minds and look for the friendlies.....just like you liberal.......

Mike Ford 1 year, 5 months ago

nice trio of white people who never answer directly for the actions of their ancestors and always blame the people they've offended..... The Allegheny Seneca people fought the Kinzua land project from 1937 to 1962 when the federal government ignored treaties from the 1790's and flooded the Cornplanter tract named for a late 18th century Seneca leader thus removing the Seneca people from the last reservation in Pennsylvania. These Seneca people were moved to the Allegheny Reserve near Salamanca, NY and in a twist of irony are looking to acquire the dam that flooded their lands and dismantle it in current times. You people have short memories and lots of offensive ignorance. We have long memories and you will be reminded of your sins for a long time to come. There are many other examples like the Seneca story I referenced that mirror the SLT. I guess people with short memories know nothing'of history. That's why they repeat it to the detriment of others.

Liberal 1 year, 5 months ago

I am curious if Tuschie has a following at Haskell and within the Indian Nations....Is he respected, or is he an active part of some organization. Does he have any kind of leading role, or is he just tolerated .

Or it could be he is just a flamethrower trying to incite and getting a thrill from it.

Any other Native Americans feel free to chime in on Tuschies reputation in the Native world.

For all I know he is a true hero in his community and a spokesman for all native people.

observant 1 year, 5 months ago

Tuschie is just an idiot who likes to post like he knows something. Can we send him the bill for the 200 millions dollars he and those like him have cost the tax payers?

IdahoWinds 1 year, 5 months ago

Libel? Really, Tuschie! Once the land was transferred to GSA and then to HEW, your Title 25 Chap 7 Section 293 had no legal standing. You are bluffing way beyond your abilities. And it didn't happen in 1950', it was 1968. Not as sharp as you think, are you?!?

Mike Ford 1 year, 5 months ago

libel really....do you really want to have to explain the circumstances of the 1950's in which you received those lands without the consent of native peoples? do you want title 25 chapter 7 section 293 a in your face in a court that isn't anti Indian?

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

Some would say you are delusional...I guess I would call it bluffing. Oh, and by the way, I won't be holding my breath. It is laughable that you can't see that the places you are talking about are actual "Sacred Sites" with a couple of capital "S", whereas the Baker Wetlands are sacred ONLY to individual people and not associated with any recognized tribe. You are also talking about lands that were either for sale or publicly owned. They can not "be returned" by the President because they were legally granted to Baker University and were not, as you so libelously claim, stolen! Go ahead and tell yourself whatever you need to in order to keep the fantasy alive.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

oh....I expect an executive order stopping five or six projects across the country that are offensive to the sacred sites of Native peoples. Depending on if we stay with the president we have or we get the used car salesman one could see a situation like what Richard Nixon of all people did when he returned Blue Lake to the Taos Pueblo people after Theodore Roosevelt advocated taking it in 1906. The Taos Pueblo people got their sacred site back and Nixon also reversed the practice of congressional tribal termination for the Menominee people in that time. President Obama just put a 4,800 acre archaeological site in Colorado under protected status. Why have I been talking with the President's Native American advisor recently via phone and e mail. Her tribe and a number of others in South Dakota had to combine their monies to buy back a Lakota sacred site area in the open market. She knows what's going on here as does the National Congress of American Indians in DC who you've offended many times. They see the racist garbage your supporters put on here. You've aggrevated Indians in high places. You will probably deal with the consequences in the near future.

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

So here we are close to the end of 235 blogs (41 individual bloggers in favor of the SLT, 15 opposed, 4 undetermined?). The real irony of this article is Chad Lawhorn titling it as "Wetland Advocates...". In reality, WPO, which is what the article focuses on, never really cared about "wetlands". They only cared about the geographical location and claiming that it is/was sacred. Just as Millicent stated - this was not an "environmental issue" it was an "ecojustice issue". What "ecojustice" implies in Pres. Clinton's executive order was that the wetlands were chosen as the route of the road to avoid majority members of society. That it was unfairly targeting minorities. When the alignment was on ""31st Street" there might have been an argument for that position, but it is now on "32nd Street", property owned by Baker University. If the opponents were concerned about access or noise they should have advocated for mitigation. But they didn't. They drew the line in the mud and said "NOT ANOTHER INCH". The lesson, just as in Congress, when you are unwilling to compromise, do not expect a favorable outcome....especially if you are in the minority.

MacHeath 1 year, 6 months ago

Lexapro is a hell of a drug.

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

I am appreciative of tbaker's explanation of our blogger's psychosis. I knew there had to be some explanation for the hatred and indignation he must be suffering with.

I also agree with Liberal in that I have not caused any harm to Native Americans and I sleep fine at night...sometimes even during the day, but I digress. I think that Dr. Boyd is a little more sensitive about all of this than I am. He has told me in the past that it concerns him that people don't understand the real reasons why the mitigation will be beneficial in the long run for the wetlands. And is MUCH better than south of the river. As he stated in the LJW article some time back, he is optimistic that as time goes on most people will come to appreciate what has taken place. I hope he is right, but I'm not sure that I can be that optimistic. He also assumes that this understanding is unlikely to take place on HINU campus, but that is their loss not his.

Liberal 1 year, 6 months ago

Wait a minute...are you not at least part white? Wasn't your father a Methodist Minister that the natives tried to run from?...Oh wait a minute your father was not alive during the atrocities in the past....

Guess what my family was alive as the Germans butchered six million of us and as the Soviets killed Approximately 20 million people including many Jews up to 14.5 million needlessly starved to death. At least one million executed for political "offences". At least 9.5 million more deported, exiled or imprisoned in work camps, with many of the estimated five million sent to the 'Gulag Archipelago' never returning alive. Other estimates place the number of deported at 28 million, including 18 million sent to the 'Gulag'.

My God they stole my families land, their wealth and their lives...Many people are still living that this happened too and yet do we here cries for compensation, or demanding that the Germans or the Russians return what they stole from them. NO, you don't. You know why because we are smart enough to know what is stolen is gone, we can not turn back the clock.

Tuschie wants to remind us of the atrocities that we waged against native people...Guess what, I have not done anything to anybody. My heart and mind are at peace and I sleep just fine at night, as I had nothing to do with what happened. There seems to be a disconnect that Tuschie experiences as a result of having grown up a Preachers child, having been raised by a Methodist Devil. Something sad must have happened to him to have such anger.

75x55 1 year, 6 months ago

Yawn. More political wrangling by people using "white guilt" and "retribution" as their modus operandi. The arguments are long since played out. The affected distress and rage are flaccid tableaus of past successes - enacted to squeeze the national purse for the few tiny driblets that might appear.

Build the road, and let the professional activists move on to the next political power-play training opportunity. Thirty years is enough for this dead horse.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

more white denial and still denying history.....how white of you.....and if you're comparing it to brockington I submitted like five of these over the commenting periods that along with thousands of submissions from native students, community people, elders, were ignored by white people and their courts. I love how people who lie play the victims of their lies in such a way...... we're not going away.....

tbaker 1 year, 6 months ago

When feelings of inadequacy / ego trauma reach a point where the person can no longer cope, a substitution pathology manifests itself where the patient demonstrates (channels) his narcissistic rage such that originates from another absent subject, in this case the long-dead indigenous people. Acting as a go-between, a mere conduit for the indignation, the subject can then feel relief from the ego trauma in the role of a champion for the substitution from a position of complete virtue.

In short, the only way Tuschy can feel better about himself is to feel as though he is coming to the rescue and righting the wrong of some long dead victim of this or that injustice. Key to understanding this disorder is the fact those being saved by this behavior MUST be absent, or the behavior affect does not produced the relief he seeks, because if the oppressed could speak for themselves his role in this reality vanishes.

Don’t be too hard on him Idaho

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

Tuschie, The difference between us here is that I don't have to prove I can or can not write three paragraphs from memory. It is sad that you think that doing so has proven anything. What it does show is that your memory is only 80% (give or take some %) correct. Your statement is full of errors, not to mention hot air! If you can't get this little history correct why would anyone expect you to be aware of exactly what Dr. Boyd said at ECM. Goes back to you saying it often enough, you believe it. What my point is, as if it makes any difference to you, is that - yes, you thought you heard Dr. Boyd say something that caught him in a lie. You despise him so he must have lied. You keep repeating it as thought you have perfect memory. You want him to be the devil and so therefore he MUST have lied. Is that how it works in your twisted, one-track mind?

MacHeath 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh for crying-out-loud! You ain't gonna die when they build the road over the mud hole! Take a freaking pill, man! Hey, my ancestors lost land and lives in Scotland! Do I go on about it?

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

naw....I'll be saying I told you so as their half a$$ED GPR archaeological work doesn't pan out and the project is forced to be abandoned by the outrage over people warning and no one listening.....

blue73harley 1 year, 6 months ago

I just hope Mike gets invited to the ribbon cutting when it opens or he is REALLY going to be mad.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

It was in this period of time that you all stole the wetlands as white bia officials sought to dispose of Indian lands while getting out of the business of Indians. Public Law 47 stated that no more than 20 acres of surplus Indian school land could be sold off to either local interests of schools. The schools, park, fire dept. and KDWP and KU parcels were in accordance with this law. I have a map of the land transfers in front of me that I've had for a decade now. Public Law 87 allowed 50 acres of land to be transferred at one time. Both laws were codified in Title Law 25 Chapter 17, Section 293a or the Federal Indian Surplus Lands Act of 1962. When you acquired said land in the 1950's white people at the BIA were giving it away without consulting the Indians they stole from. You have courts sanctifying your actions.....so what....courts protect the guilty. Imagine a Methodist College with no conscience I'm seeing one right now. You all are the beneficiaries of theft. It's much like the theft of Kiowa lands when the Kiowa leaders names were forged and hundreds of thousands of acres were stolen through forgery and in the SCOTUS case Lone Wolf V Hitchcock the theft was sanctified by the courts. You're not in the right here.....you just found the right state's rights Indian haters that's all. As I've witnessed the tragedies of desecretion at Port Angeles, Washington and Brantford, Ontario I'm waiting for Baker University to be added to this list of disrespect. I wrote all of this verbatim from memory as I've worked with this fight over a decade now. You probably couldn't write three paragraphs from memory idaho/

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

The US Government and the US Treasury purchased the wetlands area between the 1890's and early 1900's in four parcels with Indian monies. This mechanism began with the Civilization Act of 1819 where tribes were promised education for their children in return for selling off tribal lands by treaty. In the early 20th century white overseers had Haskell students install tiles to drain the water to the Wakarusa to promote farming. This was white paternalism when immigrants tried to teach farming to cultures who'd farmed for centuries and introduced crops to immigrants. The diseases and deathes and abuses led to Carlisle Indian School being closed in 1918. In the 1920's the Merriam Report spoke to the ineffectiveness of boarding schools and in the 1920's the Johnson O' Malley or JOM funds as they're called in Indian Country were used to pay for Indian children to attend White public schools were racism didn't stop it. By 1934, the farming program at Haskell was transferred to Chilocco in Oklahoma. After World War II, US Indian policy changed for the worse. The Indian Claims Commission began after the war accepting claims by tribes against the US government for underpayment or outright theft of lands. Whereas the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 allowed tribes to stop the theft of Indian land by allotment and the re establishment of organized tribal government this post war period bought the HR 108 act where the US Congress decided to get out of the business of Indians by terminating and liquidating the federal recognition of over 300 tribal nations across the US

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

you want to believe that you don't offend Native Americans over this road.... you know you do so you ignore and denigrate their comments much in the way Baker has for a decade or so now. you try surgically like a scientist to cleave out some talking point that allows you to not have to answer for your offensiveness.,,, I make you answer for your offensiveness. I heard your guy say this at ecm end of story. there were other people in attendance there. Again....because you are narrow minded or clueless. Simplely put for all of you deniers.....boarding school 101.......Colonel Richard Pratt is in charge of Comanche, Apache, Kiowa, and Cheyenne prisoners of war after the Plains Wars of the 1870's. These people are kept as captives at Fort Marion, Florida. While there Colonel Pratt initiated a military school schedule to drill the white into these people considered savages at the time. When some progress was seen he expanded the program and it first went to Hampton Insititute, an African American school in Virginia that exists to this day. Based on the expericences Pratt has the idea hatches Carlisle Indian School in 1879 when children from tribes everywhere in the US are brought there for education and assimilation. They are taken from their parents for years at a time to break up the cultural cohesion of tribes which leds to many kids going awol due to homesickeness, abuse, and racism. Within a decade Haskell, Chilocco, Tomah, Riverside, Chemawa, Genoa, Intermountain, and Phoenix to name some of the hundreds of BIA schools that existed. Illness and death occurred due to contact with white diseases, malnutrition, no rx, and abuse in the hundreds if not the thousands throughout this government Indian School system. In 1886 all vestiges of Indian culture were prohibited by law at these Indian schools. Holy men were jailed and families were starved to coerce them to the US policy. The funding for this came from congressional appropriations of Indian monies from accounts established by land sales. The US Government let protestant denominations do the dirty work of the US Government like the Methodists who ran Haskell. This environment was so intentionally culturally oppressive that at Chilocco the students went to the ends of the campus to escape it as stated in the book, "They Call It Prairie Light". The students at Haskell went to the wetlands to escape the oppression of the US Government and the Methodist church.

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

Tuschie - and yet nothing to enlighten us as to why you believe that sandy soil holds water and would be the substrate found in wetlands? This is pretty intuitive - its not going to happen and to claim that Dr. Boyd who make such a statement is ludicrous. Typical of many of your posts: you hear only what you want to hear and apparently that often isn't the same as what is being said. Kind of calls into question much of your oral history that you recite here. It also explains why you keep insisting that Baker University stole the land currently called the Baker Wetlands. You want to believe it, therefore it must be true! And of course, we all know that if you say it often enough you you will convince yourself it is true.

NotMeAgain 1 year, 6 months ago

Once I heard a long time ago, that people of Lawrence do not want to become like Olathe Kansas. Has the people of Lawrence change their minds now?

NotMeAgain 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if 192 millions dollars can fix all the pot holes in Lawrence and make bike lanes for the bike riders and add more sidewalks to certain areas of town. Or maybe add more teachers to the schools, where the class sizes won't be so big or help the homeless get off the streets downtown for good.

NotMeAgain 1 year, 6 months ago

I've got a great solutions about the east traffic. What if the people that work in KC should live in KC. and the people that drive from KC to work in Lawrence should find a job in KC. Man, that will cut the traffic way, way, way down. But of course game day traffic is always welcome!!!

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

really observant....I'm a nutcase because you have white amnesia......you live in Douglas County, Kansas due to treaties with the Kaw, Shawnee, and Delaware tribes and Nations between 1825 and 1867. I'm a nutcase because you all will not own the fact that Haskell began as a cultural reprogramming prison where kids were taken by force by White Indian agents who treated them less than human from 1884 to the 1940's where they were forbidden from being culturally Indian by US law. I wish there was a way I could be like Dennis Leary in that Christmas movie with Kevin Spacey where he ties up the whole family and exposes them for what they are in their home. Your culture had the no dogs or Indians allowed signs in front of businesses. Your culture in colonial times said become a christian or we will kill you and in the Kansas Munsee's case they were murdered as christian converts anyway at Gnadenhutten in 1782 by settler militia in Ohio. Your culture will name places Osage City when the Osage people are two hundred miles to the south now or call towns Wetumpka or Wewoka when or Shubuta or Senatobia or Panola when those people are now mostly in Oklahoma. You will not own your bigotry or savagery and trollingly flip these onto the people whom you repeatedly offend over and over. If something is true it's worth fighting for. For example....even though the Four Dakota tribes who mostly used to call Minnesota home lost 38 warriors to the largest mass hanging in US history in 1862 the survivors honor these people to this day. We're not going anywhere. You will be reminded of your actions for a long long time just as our ancestors passed on the stories of tragedy and genocide to remind you we will do the same. We will always have to deal with people who are so clueless to their own history that they repeat it over and over to the detriment of the environment and the animals and the people who care. get used to it.

observant 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish there was a way to make these nutcases pay for the increased cost to taxpayers due to total BS obstructionist tactics.

LJ Whirled 1 year, 6 months ago

This really seems like nothing more than a NIMBY problem dressed up in clothes better suited to litigation. I spent a morning on the north side of the Haskell campus a few weeks ago ... it's really pretty and peaceful, looking off to the south and southeast, and if that was my "place" I might not want a freeway built through it. I don't know if that makes it sacred, or environmentally sensitive, or whatever basis for a lawsuit that you might pick ... but it is a really nice, quiet, unspoiled place, and I am more aware of why Haskell students would not want change to come to the area.

That said, this highway (or one like it) is going to be built, as the population grows and the city expands (sprawls), etc., and it is going to run through somebody's backyard. It is at least a bit presumptuous to think that your feelings about your backyard are any deeper or more special, or more entitled to injunctive relief, than your neighbor's.

So, I feel bad that your special place is being intruded upon by progress, but I'm not buying the part that it is any sadder, for example, than for the people whose family farms were obliterated by the new and improved US 59 coming up from Ottawa.

asixbury 1 year, 6 months ago

Without the "white people" in this world, we wouldn't have many of the modern luxuries everyone (including natives) benefits from on a daily basis. Don't like whitey? Time to throw out a lot of the modern technology you own and stop taking medicine since most of these advances were started by some "white" person. We should respect everyone's culture, opinion, race, what-have-you, not just certain classes or races. Why is it not ok to be proud of one's own heritage unless you are of only certain descents?

Flap Doodle 1 year, 6 months ago

Conflating this project with every thing that white people have done in the New World is folly without warrant.

benofthebull 1 year, 6 months ago

Tuschka has posted very valid points, however the lot of you are either; 1) too lazy to research what Tuschka is writing (probably out of fear you know this person is right) 2) too bloody stubborn to admit you are wrong in an online argument and a person like Tuschka. I'm sure the lot of you are never in the wrong in any arguments, perhaps the problem is engaging in too many arguments. Or possibly the lot of you are too much cowards to simply admit your prejudices and these 'savage' Indians don't deserve any lands to call sacred.

benofthebull 1 year, 6 months ago

Tuschka has posted very valid points, however the lot of you are either; 1) too lazy to research what Tuschka is writing (probably out of fear you know this person is right) 2) too bloody stubborn to admit you are wrong in an online argument and a person like Tuschka. I'm sure the lot of you are never in the wrong in any arguments, perhaps the problem is engaging in too many arguments. Or possibly the lot of you are too much cowards to simply admit your prejudices and these 'savage' Indians don't deserve anything let alone a school for higher education or any lands to call sacred.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

firstly idaho...you all are the kings of spin. I was there at ECM in a Choctaw Ribbon Shirt with my Choctaw Hat in traditional clothing. Mr. Boyd knew who I was. When one of the questioners implied that the wetlands were man made as many of the liers on here do Mr. Boyd corrected him and stated that regardless of the appearance of the wetlands that the soil type was that of wetlands being very sandy. That was one of the first times you all pulled your 180 degree denial and I witnessed it. You all did the denial bit on the wetlands existence for all it was worth and then when it looked like you were going to succeed in denying the indigenous part of this you changed your tune and faked actually caring about the area. As white scientists you will give more weight to the lands issues than those of Native peoples. That's a no brainer.....look at how insensitive you all are with the anthro and archae people. It's taken two decades of combating scientific and academic insensativity to get you all to act with manners around burial sites, you all act cold and insensitive towards indigenous peoples. I give scientists a hard time precisely because of behavior like yours Idaho. Actually Macheath, this area is of much significance. Eight hundred years ago Pomona Phase culture people or proto historic Indians lived and went up and down the Wakarusa. Many of their artifacts were discovered as archaelogical salvage work was done in preparation for much of the Wakarusa River Valley to be flooded by Clinton Lake in the late 1970's. There is a book on this in the OSMA collection at the Lawrence Public Library I've read many times. In historic times the Osage, Kaw, Shawnee, Delaware, and students from numerous indigenous nations who were kidnapped to Haskell by us government Indian agents were up and down the Wakarusa. The Oregon Trail came up through the west side of the wetlands and is marked on 31st street due to the past work of a Cherokee Haskell student. This area is very important and you sound like just another historically clueless non Indian.

yesiam 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't know what the rest of you are talking about... but I think Millicent Pepion is smoking hot. I'll agree with whatever she says.

atiopatioo 1 year, 6 months ago

This road needs to be set up like the government set up the Tamiami trail. One side of the Tamiami Trail dried up. The locals in Lawrence could grow maize after the drying process to feed the hungry around town.

This kind act of the locals growing maize for the hungry would help so many.

MacHeath 1 year, 6 months ago

The Native American culture was dealt a bad hand. No one would have the audacity to argue otherwise. However, trying to tie all this drama to the Baker wetlands is a huge red herring! This piece of land has no more historical significance to Native American culture than any other piece of land around these parts. And much less significance than many. I have never seen any evidence that Haskell, or its students ever utilized this land to any meaningful degree. If a wetlands existed there when natives lives here, they would have stayed clear of the mud hole. They sure as heck had better sense than to live near it.
If it any of it ever was a natural wetlands, it isn't now. A lot of wetlands have been destroyed. This one is pretty insignificant, in comparison. This is, and, and was much ado about nothing!

blue73harley 1 year, 6 months ago

I guess you know of no farmers who use semis. I see them every day.

And I guess all of those 100s of trailers staged at the old Honeywell facility never move?

gccs14r 1 year, 6 months ago

Any trucker traveling through Lawrence on 23rd who doesn't have a stop here has an idiot for a dispatcher. There is no regular route to or from anywhere that needs to pass through here.

blue73harley 1 year, 6 months ago

"This thing has always been about easy access to K-10 for west Lawrence"

No it hasn't. And voters justified the expense at the ballot box a long damn time ago.

It is about being able to go across Lawrence either way on the South side. It would take traffic off 23rd especially on the eastern portion/K10. It would keep traffic from cutting through SE neighborhoods. It will give boaters and RVers an easier route to Clinton Lake. It will provide a new route for North bound traffic coming from the new four lane 59.

Did you know that until just a couple years ago 23rd St. was the designated truck route through Larryville? 31st St. was fairly recently added to move some of the truck traffic.

clovis_sangrail 1 year, 6 months ago

Sorry, but I have never driven that Haskell/31st route and thought to myself, "Sweet jesus, when is someone going to do something about all these freakin' trucks!!"

That is a manufactured problem woven out of whole cloth to justify the expense.

This thing has always been about easy access to K-10 for west Lawrence.

clovis_sangrail 1 year, 6 months ago

I am too old and far too disaffiliated to get all fired up over the ecological issues or the the cultural ones.

Bit I do have a problem with paying $192 million so the special people in west Lawrence can shave 5 minutes off their commute to their Johnson County jobs and not have to drive on 23rd street with the hoi polloi.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 6 months ago

American Indians were dealt a crappy hand. My family was one of those on the frontier from the early 1700s until the 1870s. I know my ancestors in Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee took land by force from the Shawnee and Cherokee. Our farm in eastern Kansas was bought from the Shawnee in 1873. What are we supposed to do get on the boat and go back to Ireland and Scotland? We were forced to leave by the English. How far back do you go for the sins of your fathers?

gccs14r 1 year, 6 months ago

It would be cheaper to help the 12,000 K-10 commuters wtih relocation costs. It'd be a win-win for everyone. The commuters would live in Johnson County, an environment they clearly prefer, they'd have a much shorter commute, we'd eliminate the demand for Olathe-style architecture and shop mix on the west side, and wouldn't need to build a new road.

observant 1 year, 6 months ago

When are these idiots going to give up a lost cause? They've already cost tax payers an extra 200 million with their BS.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

you pay absolutely no attention to the history of the area in question to it's role in the larger arena of american policy and it's affects on native americans which defines you as shallow. you and your ilk narrowed the native american history part of this equasion out with the precision of a heartless scientist... very cold and calculated. I heard roger boyd state what I said above at ecm on the ku campus a couple of years ago. he'd flipped his pr because it worked for him to deny the it was wetlands arguement to discredit native americans and get the local simpletons behind him on the win win arguement. once that was accomplished he went back to the it's wetlands arguement once the damage once done to benefit him. kind of like romney. the money spoke. he wanted to seem sympathetic after he took the money. i've never bought it. The Lakota say Mitikuye Oyasin....we are all related....all of the info I state is related to the wetlands in one way or another. too bad you're too caucasian to get it.

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

You ramble on incessantly without much to say - anyone else noticed that? I have explained this before and yet you don't understand/comprehend/remember? Which is it? To be a wetlands you must have three things - the right soil, water, the right plants. If it was planted to corn, soybeans, milo or even rice, it doesn't matter how wet it is it is no longer a wetlands. So from 1854 when it was homesteaded until the early 1990's much of the area in the Baker Wetlands (and the area along 31st St) was cultivated, therefore no wetlands. Why is that so difficult for you, of great wisdom, to remember. Floodplains can easily be restored to wetlands as the Boyds have done inside the original wetlands and to the west of Louisiana St. because the soil is still water-tight and will hold water. You said it was sandy - does that sound water-tight to you. You claim to know a lot about Indian History - stick with that because you know little about ANYTHING else.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

first of all this area has always been wetlands. even the sellout biologist had to finally admit that the soil type of the area in question was wetlands soil being very sandy. this was wetlands when paternalistic white overseers bent on making white people out of these Indians had them drain the wetlands and put tile down to make the water drain faster a century ago. White people treating Indians as if they didn't know how to farm....really.....Who gave you maize? Who discovered the medicinal plants used for many medicines now? the people on here now sound as dumb and paternalistic as the people who did the evil things to Indians a century ago. Read "They Call it Prairie Light" about the Chilocco Indian School in Oklahoma or "Boarding School Seasons" about the malnutrition, disease, cultural genocide, and the attempts to escape back to the reservation from these conditions or "Education for Extinction" about how Colonel Richard Pratt concocted the whole boarding school/military school model while dealing with Comanche, Apache, and Cheyenne POW's after the Plains Indian Wars in a prison at Fort Marion, Florida in the 1870's that led to Carlisle and Haskell amongst many other schools. Too bad Paul Brockington didn't correlate any of this in his "White History" of Haskell which the courts bought hook line and sinker.

MacHeath 1 year, 6 months ago

I understand that a lot of folks are all hot-buttoned on this issue.
There are a lot of important native american sites near Lawrence that not one in a hundred folks, native american or not, know a thing about. Consequently, I don't believe all this tearful indignation is justified.
I have never seen any evidence that Haskell, or the students there, gave a flying fig about this place until it was made an issue back in the early seventies. In the seventies, it was mostly pseudo-enviromentalists all up-in-arms over some type of frog. A frog no one could find, by the way. Oh yeah, I think they finally brought some in from a county that actually had some in a natural wetlands there. Some type of Leopard frog, that looks like any other Leopard frog I ever saw. So, we have had 40 years to whip folks into a frenzy over not much. Thats quite a while for no more frenzy that has been whipped. Not an efficient use of frenzy-whipping, in my judgement. There has been quite a bit of righteous indignation, but not a lot of frenzy...

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

first of all....the bering straight clovis point 13,000 year date has been obliterated by the findings of a 19,000 year old cave dwelling site in Pennsylvania, a 15,000 year old site in Minnesota, and a 38,000 year old site in Brazil. Nice try with the we're all immigrants nonsense. Haskell is not trust land. It's federal government land. I love it when white people talk the casino stereotype nonsense without knowing the laws. It's funny....many of you probably consider Ronald Reagan a hero. I don't. However he signed Indian gaming into law in 1988. why don't you know more? The Eastern Delaware tribe tried to use Title 25 section 2917 B(1) b part II or the landless Oklahoma tribes land into trust law to get lands in their former reservation area here. The chamber of commerce did run them off.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 6 months ago

Haskell students, alums, BIA hotshots and all tribes need to get together and build a Casino near the trafficway. Watch the bickering begin then. Just imagine the revenue for Haskell for decades to come, sucking the dimes and pennies from everyone traveling the SLT. Put those penny machines in and then let downtown cry . There won't be a need for more parking downtown. The Chamber of Commerce already ran off one Casino only to have one open a bit further west at the Legends. Now is the time to do one in south Lawrence.

And merrill can even have a bike path and walking trails to it connecting with the Burroughs trail. Oh, the possibilites are endless but in Lawrence there are no thinking minds.

Gotland 1 year, 6 months ago

The history books tell me that "natives" walked on this content in waves starting 14,000 years ago from Siberia. It turns out they were immigrant to this content too and often displaced previous weaker “native people” from "their land", as if hunter gathers have claim to land they don't make productive. I am part native as are most Midwestern “white people” but probably not native enough for a native supremacist like you.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

no actually my cats love reading me wear the deniers out...... nice to hear all the white washing of colonialism by those taught from fraudulent history books.... yeah....thieves looked for tribal sellouts in the day larrynative....they still exist.....they're in the republican party now....... gotland.....nice rush limbaugh statement about the stone age.....or maybe george will or some other haughty conservative like pat buchanan.....you all are the ones who don't evolve....you must like the stone age....

Gotland 1 year, 6 months ago

The stone age is over, only Tusch laments that.

Bladerunner 1 year, 6 months ago

Build it already.......Zzzzzzzzz

Clark Coan 1 year, 6 months ago

The only way to stop it now is to convince the Chancellor to give back the 20 acres KU owns or Secretary of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism to give back the 20 acres it owns to HINU. A state agency (KDOT) can't condemn federal land. They probably won't do that because they hobnob with the powers-that-be and developers and don't want any controversy. KU might even benefit somehow from the SLT.

Liberal 1 year, 6 months ago

There is no question that Native people were treated unfairly and in fact suffered much under the expansion of the European's on this continent. What I am saying is that No one alive had anything to do with it yet you keep blaming us. What is important now is how we go forward, how do we solve the problem of poverty on the reservations, how to we solve the problem of education, how do we solve the problem of alcoholism. The numbers are staggering what has been done as a result of the policies of the past.

Expanding the wetlands should be the least of the worries of Native people in this area. What they should be worrying about is getting an education and bringing something back to the communities that need them to succeed so desperately, I do not know how many ways I can say it...THE PAST IS THE PAST. What are you going to do about the future. Graduation rates etc...

I have to say I am impressed by your efforts to keep the culture, language and history alive, however your anger and blustering keeps most people from even hearing anything you say. My point is this throughout history people have been screwed and guess what it is still going on all over the world. We can try and make a change with what is happening today but can not do anything about what happened decades, centuries ago. My family came here as a result of persecution in the early 1900's they were being killed told not to believe in their faith anymore. What did they do, they came hear adopted a new life and created a promising future for their heirs. To make it better then they had it. They did not moan and whine about the mean old Bolsheviks. NO they did what they had to do and I praise them for it.

You accuse a whole people for what a few did....That is like blaming every German citizen for what the SS did....

Flap Doodle 1 year, 6 months ago

tuschie, you must realize by now that the white people are not going to get back on ships and leave North America.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

liberal (really???) the thieves never want to hear the truth even as they twist stories from the dark ages to justify their historical ignorance.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

eine, zwei, drei, fehr, fumpf, achvffa, tuklo, tuchina, ushta, tahlapi, hannali. ba zhig, neshwe, newin, nawnon negotwoswe. German, Choctaw, Ojibwe. The Ojibwe man who cried yesterday in joy as he heard me speak Ojibwe in Ottawa will mean more than any white trolls who denies the sins of their country and it's Native American policies,

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

right wing....intelligence.....oxymoron....oh well.....first amendment only applies to christianity and white people....publically admitted ignorance... wow.....

mr_right_wing 1 year, 6 months ago

It's time to end the bickering, whining and complaining!

Get out and worship your artificial, man-made wetlands while you still have time (about a year apparently.)

Liberal 1 year, 6 months ago

It appears that what should have happened is that the conquered people should have been treated like those throughout the world, that way they would have just joined the more powerful civilization just like the way the entire rest of the world was formed. Instead all we hear is the incessant whining of a dominated society that at this point is barely functional.

Where else in the world do we hear, Oh no the moors have stolen our land. My god the awful Alexander the great or how about people wailing about Genghis Khan.

Does not happen.

Is it sad what happened to the people who immigrated to this land before we did....I can say yes it is but no more sad then what happened to any other conquered people. In fact they have been treated better than many through out history.

here is an example. Genghis Khan was the founder and Great Khan (emperor) of the Mongol Empire, which became the largest contiguous empire in history after his demise.

He came to power by uniting many of the nomadic tribes of northeast Asia. After founding the Mongol Empire and being proclaimed "Genghis Khan", he started the Mongol invasions that resulted in the conquest of most of Eurasia. These included raids or invasions of the Kara-Khitan Khanate, Caucasus, Khwarezmid Empire, Western Xia and Jin dynasties. These campaigns were often accompanied by wholesale massacres of the civilian populations – especially in Khwarezmia.

catfishturkeyhunter 1 year, 6 months ago

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did."

Red Cloud

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

if you live in eastern kansas you should thank the us government for stealing the lands between Ft. Scott and Atchison and Fairway and Topeka from two Sac and Fox tribes, two Potawatomi tribes, the Iowa Tribe, The Kickapoo Tribe, the Wyandotte Tribe, the Delaware Tribe, two Shawnee tribes, the Miami tribe, two Ottawa Tribes, the Munsee and Chippewa people, the Peoria, Wea, Kaskaskia, and Piankishaw people, and the Omaha and Otoe-Missouria tribes in Nebraska. Thirteen and a half million acres of land between 1854 and 1855 was stolen by coerced treaties from these tribes allowing the cities of Atchison, Leavenworth, Topeka, and Lawrence to be founded. That's why all of these cities have founded in 1854 on their city seals. I guess if you don't think you're not guilty. Idaho....if you google tuschkahouma you will find at least six pages of blogging in papers from NY to MS to AL to OK to California that I've done in a decade or more. I'm nationwide. So much for your no one reads me nonsense.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

dinesh d'souza came like any simpleton conservative to the Ottawa University campus some time ago to speak about the mascot issue. He is a twit and a beneficiary of caste system priviledge in India. He was so priviledged that he thinks himself above struggle. end of story. Obviously, I got under you skin Idaho you replied.....score.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

armstrong....any non Native American who lives in Lawrence, Kansas, in the year 2012 needs to acknowledge that the George Manypenny Treaty of 1854 with one of the three Shawnee tribes in existence whose now in Vinita and White Oak, Oklahoma, is the reason for you being able to live in Lawrence now. Without this theft by coercion due to the Kansas Nebraska Act of 1854 you would be living on an Indian Reservation. As such you are a beneficiary of theft by squatters from the New England Emigrant Aid Society associated with 19th century land thief professional Samuel Pomeroy who stole Indian land so well he became a US Senator so he could steal more lands for townsites and railroads. Ask the Munsee, Kickapoo, and Osage peoples about Samuel Pomeroy's land theft prowess. Read the Book "The End of Indian Kansas 1854-1871" so see how you've benfitted from those wonderful Kansas land grafter's acts.

gccs14r 1 year, 6 months ago

Too bad there doesn't appear to be a way to reverse the illegal transfer of Haskell land to Baker.

Piggles, be grateful that the green stuff on the north side of 31st is here and not in the Gulf of Mexico. That growth is the result of fertilizer runoff, and the wetlands is filtering that runoff before it can get to the river and wash downstream. And it can't be too nasty or the ducks wouldn't be fishing in it.

Ron, you're ignoring the fact that the wetland was there before it was drained in the 20th century. So it's not man-made, it has been somewhat restored. If it were up to me, I'd remove 31st, too.

Yeowman doesn't understand the difference between stagnant water, such as what one might find inside an abandoned tire, and a healthy ecosystem. If he lives nearby and has a mosquito problem, it's probably from a clogged gutter or an abandoned planter in his or a neighbor's yard, and not from the wetlands. Mosquitoes travel only 300' or so from home.

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

"oh yeah...2016...dinesh d'souza.....twit.....bull hockey.....really....."

Is it really fair to call this incoherent drivel? Tuschie - I thought you were going to hold your breath until they found some bones out there?

Do you honestly think anyone listens to your rants? You have lost your audience [if you EVER had one], but please, drone on for your own sake.

lawdog 1 year, 6 months ago

Building the bypass won't help.....you all are going to still be 'bbbbbbbiiii.......complaining' LOL!

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

oh yeah...2016...dinesh d'souza.....twit.....bull hockey.....really.....

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

that's because you idaho and your white denial refuse to own your history of theft and denial....boyd hasn't .... the trustees who showed up to the public hearings at the fairgrounds in 2003 didn't.....you all stole all of this country except for the reservations and sacred sites that are left....I guess the guilty want forgiveness from those whom they trespassed upon.....your god does that I guess and then lets you all sin over and over and over....why worry about those other people who worshipped in the open area you've desecreted.....you can be like the dimwits in Joneville, LA who tore up a 200 foot around by 100 foot tall Troyville Culture religious mound for a highway in 1931 who regret it now and have tried to rebuild what they destroyed because they destroyed it in the first place as ignorantly as you all are proposing now. Denial works with shallow people like cheap fast food....it's easily digestible. It's the real history that causes indigestion amongst those to lazy to realize their sins and offensiveness.

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

"A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community." I would say that if anyone is a TROLL it would be Tuschie as nearly all his posts are inflammatory, extraneous, AND off-topic. Everything that has happened to native people in the US does not relate to the construction of the SLT through the Baker Wetlands. This land was legally transferred to Baker University from the Dept of Health, Education, and Welfare in 1968. It has not been "owned" by Native Americans since the mid-1850's. We all wish you would wait until bones are found during construction. Most of us wish you would even hold your breath while you are waiting...at least quit posting until then! The landowner, Baker University, has the legal right to do whatever they wish with their property. They have chosen to sacrifice less than 10% of it in exchange for an additional 380 acres and funding to establish a visitor center to educate people about the benefits of wetlands to all people - not just Native Americans. The end result will benefit the wetlands and the community many times over.

atiopatioo 1 year, 6 months ago

Making it a floating bridge so the polliwogs won't get squished.

ThePilgrim 1 year, 6 months ago

Eco-Justice...Nice job creating a new term. If the area is sacred, then allow NO development in SE Lawrence. Period. But that won't happen.

And I don't see anyone crying over the coal plant which greets travelers on the turnpike, and says more about Lawrence then the KU signs.

Liberal 1 year, 6 months ago

Wetlands Advocates actually want more wetlands and a visitors center to educate people about the benefits of wetlands. Wetland Obstructionists is what this article should be headlined with. I am proud to be a Wetlands Advocate, build the road allowing more people to see the wetlands, build more wetlands for us to enjoy and provide a place for all people to learn and enjoy the beauty of the wetlands.

How many people picnic in a swamp? None....the wetlands were not there when granny was picnicking in the area.

How many bodies were found when they built 31st street?

Constitutional_Malfeasance 1 year, 6 months ago

Constitutional_Malfeasance 1 year, 6 months ago

That was then, this is now. Why dwell on the past. I watched "2016" last night and that is much more troubling than things That happened 300-400 years ago.

oletimer 1 year, 6 months ago

This is not front page news, Chad. Either it was a slow news day, and there was nothing to put on the front page of the journal joke, or we now know where Lawhorn stands on the issue. This issue has been decided several times now in favor the the road being built. Those opposed need to give up and move on. The majority has spoken. Get over it

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

gee you all were in the dark ages leaving europe as paupers from fiefdoms fearful of a square earth and having salem witch hunts due to your fanaticism and irrational skepticism. I loved watching that movie "The New World" about Jamestown and the Powhattan Confederacy where the Indians watched these settlers who were dumb enough to settle on a tidal flat with no fresh water and no ability to plant crops and bad teeth and nothing but arguing amongst each other. The Indians felt pity upon them as I do some of you now. Twenty five years after this time many more arguing religious supersticious paupers showed up and massacred the Powhattan Confederacy from 28 tribes to 6 or so today. I guess the uninformed arguing and religious skepticism exists today. Furthermore if Ben Franklin would've never heard about the Six Nations and their governing rules in 1754 when he heard the Onandaga speaker Ganestota speak how would he have come up with the concept of how states have so many electoral votes based on what the Mohawk, Cayuga, Seneca, Oneida, Onandaga, and Tuscarora did as they governed? Now get George Will to refute me will you?

Gotland 1 year, 6 months ago

Most of the opposition for this are business interests in Lawrence. They are affraid this cow town will wither up when there is a easy way around it. They might be right.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

more of the same ignorance I've heard at Environmental Impact studies meetings over the last thirteen years....who educated you all? no one I guess....

Flap Doodle 1 year, 6 months ago

I wondered when tuschie would wake up this morning.

Constitutional_Malfeasance 1 year, 6 months ago

Shame on western pioneers for not wanting to live in the dark ages.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 6 months ago

Now that all the ecocrazies have been put down, the road will be built. That decision has been made and legally verified.

For these people to continue to pee in the wind and pull on Superman's cape is a demonstration of their foolishness in trying to obstruct and oppose the community that they live in and attend school in.

These "wetlands" as the Haskell Swamp is popularly labeled, are a violation of local ordnances against standing water nuisances. I fault the spineless, clueless Lawrence city government for not stepping in here years ago and having this mosquito ridden swamp adjacent to city residents (who pay taxes and actually have some rights in this stupid issue) drained and filled in to prevent further standing water hazards.

Constitutional_Malfeasance 1 year, 6 months ago

It's all Columbus' fault. Obama's proclamation said so.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

bozo I'm addressing this at the usual suspects....not you.....before long all of the simpletons will appear.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

selfish really...did you flunk american history....I'll answer for you.....yes you did.... your government stole 13 and a half million acres so that eastern Kansas could be settled after the Kansas Nebraska Act of 1854 and the Manypenny treaties of 1854 and 1855. Maybe I should have some of my Kansas Wyandotte friends whom I spoke to yesterday talk about how much of KCK in theirs and why it isn't now larrynative....I would like to introduce you to the Kaw, Shawnee, and Delaware people who know you are selfish because you are on their lands as we speak.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

I guess I have to wait for the bulldozers to hit remains. White people don't stop even they're warned. The Lower Elwha Klallam people near Port Angeles Washington warned the Wash Dept. of Trans (WADOT) not to pursue a construction project for years much as we've warned you all. As the project there started bones and artifacts were uncovered and uncovered and uncovered. In all 400 sets of remains and thousand year old artifacts were uncovered and those Klallam people had to go to a warehouse to get their ancestors back to be reburied due to deaf white people just like the ones here. The project wan abandoned after $68 million was spent just like this one will be if some people come to their senses. The Klallam people received $6 million in damages for white people ignoring them. Furthermore in Brantford, Ontario, Canada last year, 200 sets of smashed bones of children were discovered on the grounds of the former Episcopal Mohawk Residential School where the Woodlands Cultural Centre and Mohawk Museum is. I went to this area and museum in the summer of 2002. There is an investigation going on up there. Where would one think there would be Indian burials....by a former Indian school that operated during a dark period in US history? why of course not.....it can't..... some people are in denial and they want their road....

thuja 1 year, 6 months ago

Thank you, internet comment boards, for reminding me just how selfish and depraved people can get. This thread makes me want to puke.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 6 months ago

Bottom line is the major majority wants it built so the rest of you need to shut up or move and stop being selfish. This is what the people of Lawrence want. Stop wasting our tax dollars and let the majority build.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

At places like Haskell these kids were beaten, starved, and isolated if they spoke their native language or practiced their traditional religions. They went to the weltands to avoid the beatings. That's why the wetlands are sacred. I hear all of the white nonsense about the prayer wheel. For all of the white history nonsense believers here's the real story.....your government outlawed any language but english and any religion except christianity at these boarding schools in 1886. Your government arrested traditional Indian religous leaders and withheld food and treaty monies as coercion tools. Your government sent the 7th US Cavalry to massacre 350 Lakota people with cannons and shots to the back because of the Ghost Dance....a Native religious practice...on December 29, 1890. That Medicine Wheel was built in 1992 because President Clinton signed the Native American Religous Freedom and Restoration Act into law ending over 100 years of banishment for Native religious practices on federal Indian school campuses. The Native American Church is now able to be on Haskell campus legally due to this law. I guess your First Amendment Rights are supposed to be for Native people. American Hypocracy I guess. That Munsee woman I spoke of remembers crying when she was eight years old being taken to Genoa, NE to the Pawnee School in the early 1930's. She went next to Wyandotte in Oklahoma and finally Haskell by the late 1930's. Her parents barely saw her for eight years due to your government and you want to build a road through where these people went to avoid being bullied like the trolls on here do. Some other Munsee girls who were taken from Ottawa, KS to the Flandreau, SD, Indian School escaped in 1934 and hitchhiked back to Ottawa to escape the conditions. I've heard these stories. Man they make your patriotism and denial look so great. In fairness every tribe has stories like this due to your country and it's actions. You live here because of these actions. Your religions forgive you as you still do the same wrong things like this trafficway. No conscience eh? Many tribes have similar stories in fairness and this brazen act just revives them. Are you proud of your history? because this road is just another example of it.

Food_for_Thought 1 year, 6 months ago

"Ecojustice"...what a funny concept. Fight for the wetlands, but drive SUVs. Apparently, the local environment matters, but the global environment is expendable. Interesting.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

The americans burned the Munsee Moraviantown community and the Canadians helped rebuild it. After the War of 1812 ended the lands the Munsee left after the Massacre in Ohio were sold out from under them. They were offered lands in Kansas in 1823 in they returned to the US. In 1838 the Munsee arrived in Kansas to find no land as promised. Lenape and Wyandot people helped them out until the Lenape offered them lands in an 1854 treaty that occurred as the white people overran boundaries and ignored federal laws and squatted. The Munsee lands where St. Marys College and the Soldier Cemetery at Leavenworth are now were Munsee lands. The Munsee left those lands as Kansas politicians, squatter and railroad land thieves shoved them off that land. They end up with Chippewa people west of Ottawa and the kansas and us government try to shove them into us citizenship or oklahoma from 1864 to 1900 thus succeeding in citizenizing them in 1900. The Munsee and Chippewa children along with Southern Cheyenne children were the first kids taken to Haskell in 1884. Taken against their will and the wishes of the parents by your government. legalized kidnapping. Indian agents would come to the houses of Indians and barge in after midnight and grab the kids. These kids were taken for years at a time to keep them away from Indian influences by protestant charges who began this practice in the mid 19th century.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

for all of the uneducated garbage spewed on here you deserve what you're about to get. The only reason trolls try to reverse the anger directed at them is they're cowards with no concept of history to begin with. Some of you are stupid enough to call the Native people on here bigots after your ancestors, country, and government stole the land, killed people, stole kids off to places like Haskell, Carlisle, Chilocco, Chemawa, Tomah, and Riverside, to name a few of the hundreds of schools your white government set up to re program Native children to be white christians. I spoke with an 88 year old survivor of your government's policies yesterday as I advocated for her tribe in Ottawa. Her tribal history as a Munsee and Brothertown Indian is indicitive of this history that flies over the heads of simple trolls. Her ancestors were ran off Long Island, NY as the Dutch invaded the area and commenced genocide on the Raritan, Rockaway, Seconke, and Massapequa peoples in the mid 17th century. After fleeing to NE Pennsylvania,. the supposed friendly Quakers stole those lands in the Walking Purchase of 1737. Then Moravian parasites arrived to issue white names and christianity so that low class settlers wouldn't murder them for being savages in PA like they did in Mass and Conn. Then the French and Indian War and settlers ran them out of PA into Ohio where during the Revolutionary War the Gnadenhutten Massacre ocurred when 96 Munsee people were beaten to death with their hands tied behind their backs by white settler militias in 1782. The survivors fled to Michigan and later Ontario where during the War of 1812 Tecumseh was killed battling the Americans on the Moravian Munsee lands.

FriedirchKling 1 year, 6 months ago

This is all part of a larger issue-mankind's relentless assault on the natural world. Based on some of the comments is it any surprise that every 24 hours mankind is responsible for the extinction of 200 animal and plant species while during this same time period the world human population net gains an additional 265,000. It does not require a doctorate degree to know that this formula is unsustainable. Colony Collapse Disorder is causing the extinction of native pollinators while domestic bee hives are being wiped out at the rate of 40%. White Nose Syndrome is a mysterious disease responsible for killing millions of bats-Mother Nature's most important insectivore. A single bat will consume its body weight in insects every night. With these losses farmers will have to apply ever greater amounts of poisons to kill the harmful insects. Chytrid is a mysterious fungus that originated in Israel and has spread worldwide. This fungus is wiping out entire Amphibian species in less than a year. The national symbol of Panama-the beautiful Golden Tree Frog was declared officially extinct last year due to the disease. You see, these new and deadly diseases are like canaries in the coal mine. We are being warned that we are killing our Earth's life support system as the intricate web of life becomes decimated. All the money in the world will not matter once we face ecological collapse. This is the most dangerous threat facing mankind, but conservation of our planet has turned into a partisan issue with Republicans opposed to environmental protections and Democrats favoring caution and responsible stewardship. The sad part is that once the catastrophe hits it will be too late.

reality_check79 1 year, 6 months ago

Did Haskell students say the remains of the missing children are in a cold, dark place, and surrounded by water??? We have heard enough of this crap over the years!!! Build the road!!!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

"Sure, build trails and paths, then commuters can just walk or bike to their jobs in KC"

Gasoline powered commuters have trillions of tax dollars already invested in roadways to get back and forth to work. How can another $200-300 million tax $$$$ be justified?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

"Biodiversity and forests are critical for the survival of people and the planet, and are thus priceless.

Privatization = looting taxpayers of their money!

50YearResident 1 year, 6 months ago

Millicent said, "“My grandma graduated from Haskell in the late ’40s,” said Pepion, who will be a senior when she re-enters the school next semester. “She used to tell me about a place where they would have picnics and hang out. When I first got here, I went looking for that place.” My comment, I have been looking for that place myself for over 50 years. While driving on the three roads that border the wetlands many thousands of times beginning in 1954, I have never seen even one Native American walking or picknicing inside the wetlands borders. This brings up the question, when do they go there?

NIsayz 1 year, 6 months ago

Hi, I want to let you know I been following this from over here in Ontario. Here in my area we had to have a vigil/occupation to get our burial grounds back...the land where some our our ancestors were buried was sold by the local township and houses were built overtop of their remains. This was unknown to most of the local residents...long story but one thing worth mentioning is that the contractor is responsible if bones are found... The one working at our burial ground site told the 'landowner' about the remains noticed and it was disregarded. I pray that if it comes to be...for honest contractors and workers with integrity who are not afraid to speak up and do he right thing. I uphold your connection with these wetlands and wish a better outcome. Having stories about this place tells me that it has been kept consciously in mind and under the radar...safe from being desecrated. I can see racism has raised its ugly head in your area...fight the good fight! Much respect, Sheena

JackMcKee 1 year, 6 months ago

Haskell is a joke. It should be cut off from taxpayer dollars.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, and, congrats Millicent on taking first place in the writing contest.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 6 months ago

I think that maybe Haskell students should start to think about how they can capitalize on their location and access points to the bypass because, clearly, the environmental thing ain't working.

Maybe a duty free smokeshop. Annex Haskell into a community college, accepting outsider's federal funding. If the wetlands are as holy as they say, all will be as God intended and those who fought for its preservation shall be rewarded.

Apparently the God's of the wetlands have other plans and the Haskell folk had better take heed.

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

Poor Millicent looks sad. I'd be sad too if I had the audacity to try and tell other people what they could do with their property and was told to pound sand by the legal system.

You ecojustice warriors have lost your silly little game. Find something else to complain about. Go look for an owl or something.

"Ecojustice"... LOL.

John Yocum 1 year, 6 months ago

Give it up. Things happen. Like Westar taking all the trees out of my backyard! Besides, the folks who are against this always suddenly come up with some new eco/spiritual/historic reason to oppose it at the last minute, which just makes them look less believable, and quite silly, as the years go on. By the way, I think the comment about Native Americans having a greater sense of right and wrong is hilarious. But nice piece of self-promotion on the book.

Les Blevins 1 year, 6 months ago

Eco-crazies (as you call them) have been successfully blocking mountaintop mining back in WV for many years.

Armstrong 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe if some of the eco-crazies want to block the dozers they themselves can become the bones to be found on that "sacred" ground.

Les Blevins 1 year, 6 months ago

Native American people have a greater sense of right and wrong, especially when it comes to what's right and wrong with the way humans interact with the natural world. My late father (Les Blevins Sr.) was perhaps the first person in Douglas County to recognized the injustice in the Trafficway project and how it was pushed through to initial approval without the people of Douglas County having a vote on it. He felt the people had a right to vote on such major issues and took the issue to court. When the Douglas County court ruled against him he took the issue to the Kansas Supreme Court and that body ruled unanimously in his favor, and that Douglas County erred in not allowing a local vote on the issue. My father may have had this insight and conviction because he was part Cherokee Indian, although so far as I know he didn't know that at the time. On the other hand I suppose it may have been the “Medicine” referred to in the article that drew him into the issue. I’ve researched the Blevins Cherokee connection and discovered it’s real. Google two words < Blevins and Cornblossom > and that search will show information on the subject. I have also published a book titled “The Longhunters” which is available through Xlibris, Barnes & Noble and Amazon that outlines my family’s connections to the Cherokee and to Chief ChuQuaLaTaGue “aka Chief Doublehead” of the Upper Cumberland.

Piggles 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh puLEEEZEEE GIvE IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These were man made to begin with and can be created again somewhere else. The so-called wetlands along 31st is a joke- it's gross looking and nasty looking. Not only that if it's "sacred" to begin with, 31st street wouldn't of been built. But it was. We need that bypass.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

IdahoWinds 1 year, 6 months ago

Millicent is correct - this has never been an environmental issue, it has always been an ecojustice issue. Jayhawk Audubon, Sierra Club, and KU Environs were never able to understand that. But the one main problem is that for it to qualify as an ecojustice issue within the federal legal framework, it has to be tied to a specific tribe. Not even the Pottawatomie Tribe (Prairie Band) has ever been willing to declare this a sacred site. It is, no doubt, a sacred site to individual students (and faculty?) over the decades, but that does not fit within federal legal framework. It was a clever idea that some faculty and outside "agitators" had to stir up the myth that 400-500 missing students were "most likely" buried in the "wetlands". A claim that can never be proven one way or the other. It has been a valuable educational lesson for many untold students, such as Patrick and Millicent, but in the end the road has funding and with a Republican held KS legislature that is very unlikely to change. Sam Brownback has called it his "Pet project within T-Works". Does that sound like something that is likely to be unfunded? It will be built and there will be 10% less wetlands. That is it. A big fuss over 10% of the "sacred area". Even Mike Caron has said that the places the students went to hide were down along the river - those are the places that should be protected - and they will be as they are nearly a mile south of the SLT. Out of harms way. So if any student feels the need to come to the former sacred sites of HINU students from the early 1900's they can still come there. One thing Millicent didn't reveal is whether she found her Grandmother's secret picnic spot. My guess is, it was near the present day Medicine Wheel rather then down in the "wetlands".

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

The plan is obsolete and cost too much money. For the same money 1,250 miles of safe hiking and biking could be built across the state going North/South and East/West plus throughout Lawrence.

And employ wayyyyyyyyyy more people in the process. The best bang for the tax buck. Maintenance costs would be nearly zero comparatively. No cars or 18 wheelers to tear up the road 24/7.

Armstrong 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm psychic !

Any bets on when bones start to show up ?

Bill Lee 1 year, 6 months ago

The prayer wheel was built after everyone knew about the bypass being built, so why complain now as if it's a big surprise. The article mentions the area was farmed early in the century. It was also farmed late in the 20th century. Wetlands can be creted somewhere else just as easily. Flood some land and let nature take its course.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

What a joke.

"especially seeking to enlist the help of groups that may object to the project’s estimated $192 million price tag"

Yea, lets 'enlist' folks to help us balk at the price tag our delay caused.