Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: More hazards

October 1, 2012

To the editor:

Well, thank you, Miss Banks. You pretty well hit the nail on the head in more ways than one in your recent letter (Public Forum, Sept. 22) in regard to your fun-filled trip across town to campus. I can sense you like to live life on the edge.

Since you’re acquainted with campus, why not try the next step sometime for a real adventure? Go up there Monday through Friday and get on one of the blue Kansas University buses. Sit as close as possible to the front so you can see everything out ahead and ride it for a couple of hours, preferably in midmorning or early afternoon, just to make sure you can cross main campus at least two or three times during breaks between classes. Since you won’t be driving, you will be better able to look around more and savor the lunacy.

Another exciting adventure if you’re up to it is to drive east on 23rd Street from Iowa to the far east side of town, then turn around and come back at around 4:30 in the afternoon Monday through Friday, especially Friday!

By now, I hope you’ve guessed that someone out here agrees with you. And as you also indicated, the town that is trying to attract retirees also claims to be a bicycle-friendly town. So why am I so nervous about riding my bicycle anymore? Ask me sometime about getting deliberately rear-ended and bumped off the street just on my moped.

I would add one thing to your letter. Along with good brakes and quick reaction times, I would add “the good sense to not buy into everything the seniors are being sold to attract them here.”

Comments

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 1 month ago

I am a retired senior. I would not live in Lawrence if you paid me, and gave me a free home.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 1 month ago

I am a retired senior and I very much like living in Lawrence. The campus is for the benefit of the students. I ride the bus though there frequently and have yet to see anything that I would call exciting or unusual.
The campus is closed to cars while class is in session and you have to get a special permit to drive on campus. This is to protect the students from the drivers who don't know what a university campus is and how to drive on one, so it was easier to just keep them off. I will never understand why those who drive something on four wheels consider themselves to be superior to either bicycles, motorcycles, mopeds, or eighteen wheelers for that matter. Seriously, people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol Bowen 2 years, 1 month ago

Frankie, You must be in tip top condition for a senior. Many of us are not that blessed. We find it very difficult to navigate Lawrence by car, bus, or on foot. The traffic is very unpredictable. The young drivers take risks. They are impatient, and some of them are ill mannered and aggressive. Shopping is geared towards a young generation. It's difficult to downsize to a smaller home without unruly students all around you, or stay in your own home with the same problem. Many cities have more stability. That's what seniors need.

Lawrence needs to focus on one age group or another. Either that, or spend more time and money on a comparable mix. The needs for seniors are different. Think medical. Does Lawrence really have the capacity to press forward on everything?

57chevy 2 years, 1 month ago

If seniors are well-traveled, they will have been to more progressive cities like Cedar Rapids, Iowa or Minot, North Dakota or any of about 500 other cities and towns where there are bike lanes, bike trails, sidewalks for people to actually go for a walk on. They have shopping malls so seniors can wak inside in inclement weather. Cars and rednecks do not rule the roads. Police charge and prosecutors prosecute vehicular homicides rather giving them $50.00 tickets. I'm pretty sure that you'll have a hell of a time convincing a senior to move here from almost anywhere else unless they are already ready for a rest home. Lawrence has plenty of those and they are likely the same all over. This is a town for that fat, lazy, provincial youth of Kansas. I'm thinking Des Moines, Iowa or Tulsa, Ok to retire. They have all that walking/biking stuff too.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 1 month ago

Tulsa has been on it for awhile. Less snow and way more rainfall.

For the rockin seniors there is always the Caines Ballroom.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't let the door hit y'all in the butt on the way out.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 1 month ago

This is an inappropriate remark and contributes nothing to the discussion.