Archive for Saturday, September 22, 2012

Driving hazards

September 22, 2012

To the editor:

One day recently, I made a fun-filled trip from Kasold Drive and Peterson Road to the Kansas University campus.

On Maine, a student was bicycling on the wrong side of the street — texting! At the West Campus Road roundabout, an adult visitor on his cell ignored the “Yield” sign and whizzed in front of me, a not uncommon occurrence, according to the reaction of the control booth attendant. On Jayhawk Boulevard, a young skateboarder zoomed across directly in front of me at no marked crossing.

And this is the town that claims it wants to attract retirees. One hopes that they all have good brakes and quick reaction times!

Comments

kuguardgrl13 2 years, 3 months ago

It's generally a good rule to avoid driving on campus during classes or drive with extreme caution. Between pedestrians, bike riders, and other drivers all being inattentive, it's a daily accident waiting to happen.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

Cars without the proper stickers are not allowed on campus when classes are in session.

George_Braziller 2 years, 3 months ago

Anyone can drive on or through campus at anytime even without a parking sticker. Just need a temporary permit from the booth attendant.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 3 months ago

Retirees will need to bring a large wallet and patience for constant inflated cost of living increases whether they be new taxes,user rates,user fees or the number of locations granted the political favor of SECRET higher sales taxes that bypass the tax dollar cookie jars....... a source of profit till death do they part.

It is actually safer for cyclists to ride facing the oncoming traffic. This could keep riders from getting killed by a vehicle coming up from the rear they would never see. However larger vehicular traffic would be required to drive much slower to accommodate the safer approach. It's no different than being a pedestrian which we are taught to walk facing traffic if there is no "walkway".

As for your other experiences it is everyday life most everywhere. Drivers must adapt accordingly in order to prevent accidents.

parrothead8 2 years, 3 months ago

grimpeur already covered the dangerous misinformation that merrill posted about which side of the roads that bicycles should ride on, so I won't re-hash it here. I'll just say to merrill...please, stick to copying and pasting on socio-political issues, and not on safety issues where you are so clearly mis-informed.

grimpeur 2 years, 3 months ago

"It is actually safer for cyclists to ride facing the oncoming traffic."

Absolutely incorrect. Bicycle traffic on the roadway should always travel in the same direction as motor traffic. Road rules are made for the road, and all vehicles should follow them. Statutorily, bikes are not classified as vehicles, but when used as such, bikes should behave like other vehicles on the roadway, and must travel predictably and according to the known rules which apply to all vehicles.

As for the "hit from behind" accident: it hasn't happened in Douglas County unless 1) the driver was drunk; 2) the driver (like so many children have been taught is perfectly OK to do) was totally engrossed in playing with his cell phone; or 3) drivers intentionally attacked cyclists. When there are drivers like these on the road, it doesn't matter what or where or what direction you're driving, riding or walking--everyone is in danger. So we should stop using this type of accident as a reason to do something which makes no sense and is, in fact, dangerous.

Which means: Cyclists, ride on the right except to pass or turn left, ride no more than two abreast, ride predictably in the same direction as motor traffic, and follow the same rules. Use lights and stay visible. And so forth.

paulveer 2 years, 3 months ago

And move to single file and as far to the right as possible when being overtaken. That's also state law.

John Hamm 2 years, 3 months ago

He said, "It is actually safer for cyclists to ride facing the oncoming traffic." which I tend to support. He did NOT say they were or should ride facing traffic. That's not that difficult distinction to detect.. Perhaps it is time the Highway Dept take a good look at automobile/bicycle accidents and their reports to determine if this very old rule still holds to be true.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 3 months ago

As a retiree, I would not live in Lawrence if you paid me. Costs are way too high, and I would not have my life style dictated by a bunch of liberals.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

@Lynn731: Don't worry, sweetheart. Nobody's gonna pay you to hang around Lawrence & act like a holier than thou a$$hat. Go ahead, keep those generalized stereotypes coming & thank you for not fouling the air of my fair city.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 3 months ago

I am a bit offended at this attitude that "retirees" are the cause of traffic hazards. My job has me out on the streets for hours a day and the things I see "regular people" (read ages 17 to 65) do in cars is most frightening. We are all familiar with the idiots jabbering on a cell phone at a green light, texting with their head in their butt while running a stop sign, and my pet peve, driging in the dark with no lights on. I know, I know, you are a heap big manly dude or womanly dudeess and you can see like a cat in the dark, but others cannot see you often and YOU are a hazard. In the rain also,, the law is that if you need your windshield wipers, you must by law have your HEADLIGHTS ON. (not parking lights, what part of "parking" do yuou not understand?? And only one headlight is a violation.

But in this age of everyone jurry up and get whereever you should have been 10 minutes ago, I do not expect much improvement. Cluess drivers are as rempant here and unless the local law enforcement steps up the enforcement of laws for drivers, not much will change.

kuguardgrl13 2 years, 3 months ago

Being an out-of-state student, I wish the university would better inform students of Kansas driving laws. It would help us better assimilate into driving in Lawrence and probably lower the number of tickets. I myself got into trouble with the "only use the left lane on highways to pass" rule. I learned to drive in Minnesota where the rule is "slower drivers keep right, but move over for stopped vehicles."

kuguardgrl13 2 years, 3 months ago

Correction: I believe MN introduced a Keep Right law in 2011. Regardless the law wasn't in place when I learned to drive or when I came to Lawrence. I also grew up in Pennsylvania where they still have "slower drivers keep right, but move over for emergency vehicles and allow merging cars to move into the right lane."

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

The DMV has a little booklet they provide at no charge detailing the driving laws in KS.

As students are adults, shouldn't they take the responsibility for learning those for themselves, rather than expecting the university to teach them?

Hoots 2 years, 3 months ago

In general no matter where you live in this country you should get the hell out of the left lane if you are going slow. The left lane is always an overtaking lane no matter where you live. I can't believe this is confusing for people. It is driving 101 and if it's a big surprise you shouldn't have a freaking license. In Germany they'd give you a HUGE ticket ASAP and you'd never forget to get the hell out of the way again. It's BASIC...very BASIC. Holly crap...do we really train people this poorly or do they just pay zero attention? READ THE BOOK!!! I've seen drivers ed teachers on the highway with students doing 45 mph in the left lane. Fire those morons teaching kids to drive like that.

classclown 2 years, 3 months ago

kuguardgrl13

September 23, 2012 at 1:41 a.m.

===================================

If you are able to determine what speed you can drive at, then you should know about the rule about staying in the right lane except to pass. In other words, it's posted along the road.

As for KU telling students about the laws of Kansas, well I suppose KU is in the business of teaching people to expect everything to be done for them, and in this instance I will oblige, however, it isn't much work for a person to find out on their own.

There is this wonderful vast thing out there called the internet. You may of heard of it. Well the internet has "Google", a wonderful tool for looking up information about pretty much everything.

Now I promised that this time I would go ahead and do this enormous undertaking in order that you wouldn't have to be bothered too much so let me Google that for you.

Hoots 2 years, 3 months ago

If you've noticed the LPD doesn't do basic enforcement anymore. When was the last time you saw a cop watching for people running stop signs, stop lights, or even running radar? I doubt they've ever written a ticket for texting while driving which is worse than drunk driving. When you don't enforce the basics people start do do whatever the hell the want. A 4 way stop or any intersection with a stop sign has become a game of Russian roulette. If they started to bang the crap out of people for awhile the I'm the only one on the road mentality would calm down. Heck, they could even pay some bills in the process. I can't remember a time when I've seen so many people driving around at night with one headlight out. They used to pull you over for that. I've seen people commit major traffic violations right in front of cops and the cop just moved on. That crap wouldn't have flown not so many years ago but it does now. Hey, Lawrence Police department!!! The little stuff does matter. That ass that just ran that stop sign might have a warrant.

Tony Kisner 2 years, 3 months ago

Carlin's law - everyone who drives faster than you is a maniac, slower an idiot.

Enlightenment 2 years, 3 months ago

It seems as though Lawrence has a concentration of ignorant drivers, and not all are students. My list of poor driving habits in this area include: -drivers that cut across several lanes when turning onto a multi-lane street. You need to enter the nearest lane first, then make a safe lane change instead of swinging wide. -drivers who don't use a turn signal when exiting a roundabout. -drivers that fail to use turn signals. -drivers that use turn signals while they are turning (the signal should be used prior to turning). -drivers that don't know how to or choose not to properly use a roundabout. -drivers that don't know how to or choose not to properly use a traffic circle.

mom_of_three 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't use a turn signal in the roundabout. You have to pass the first lane to your right and can't put it on there in case you confuse the car waiting to enter the roundabout next to it. Then by the time you flip it on for the next row of cars waiting, you are already in the road to begin with. Signals in roundabouts are the least of my worries. Its the cars that stop in front of me to let the cars go in to their right, when they only need to yield for the cars to their left.

kansanbygrace 2 years, 3 months ago

Might add to that list of ignored traffic laws: "SPEED LIMIT XX" Miles per Hour. That's the maximum, but on some of the highways (K-10 being the most ridiculous) the entitled fluffheads think that's just a suggestion or imagine it's only for other people, and the KHP are so seldom present, there's no thought of enforcement of any of Enlightenment's list or this or several other dangerous, selfish bad driving habits.