Archive for Wednesday, November 28, 2012

ATF offers reward for information about suspected arsons in south Lawrence

November 28, 2012, 4:02 p.m. Updated November 28, 2012, 5:38 p.m.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is offering a $2,500 reward to anyone who has information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever is responsible for a series of suspected arsons in south central Lawrence.

Google Map

Map of recent suspected arsons

View Recent suspected arson cases map in a larger map

Public safety officials say there have been a series of intentionally set fires at apartment complexes in this area of Lawrence since Oct. 19.

Since Oct. 19, more than a dozen small fires have been set in and around apartment buildings in an area near 23rd Street south to 25th Street and from Iowa east to Naismith Drive.

Many of those fires have occurred in laundry rooms or hallways of apartment complexes. The fires have also been set inside of apartment complexes where exterior doors to the buildings are not locked. Fire officials suspect the fires have been intentionally set, but have not released any more information.

Two recent fires in the area have fit the general pattern of the recent suspected arsons, but public safety officials have not said whether they are being included among the suspected arson cases.

Last Thursday, which was Thanksgiving, there was a fire at the Park 25 apartment complex, 2401 W. 25th St. And Sunday night, emergency crews responded to a fire at an apartment complex at 1721 W. 24th St.

The Thursday evening fire was the only one that occurred west of Iowa Street, though still near the other fires.

The Journal-World filed an open records request Tuesday with Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical for incident reports on the two recent cases.

The ATF will accept anonymous tips, and information can be left with several agencies: Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical at 785-830-7065, the Lawrence Police Department at 785-830-7430 or the TIPS Hotline at 785-843-TIPS (8477).

In a statement released on its Facebook page, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical urged apartment residents to check to make sure that smoke alarms are working, and that all combustible materials are removed from hallways and exits. The department will assist apartment complexes install additional smoke alarms and emergency lighting, the statement said.

Comments

George_Braziller 2 years ago

Residents are supposed to check their own smoke alarms to see if they're working? If I was a landlord I'd be triple checking to make sure they were. One fire and one death because of a non-functioning fire alarm and the lawsuit against the landlord would be hundreds of thousands of dollars if not more.

This is why there's a need for rental inspections by the city.

"In a statement released on its Facebook page, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical urged apartment residents to check to make sure that smoke alarms are working ...."

Briseis 2 years ago

The government is assigning human life at $2500 large. The government can't keep cock roaches out of their school kitchens and you want them to check smoke alarms?

At $2500, why do you want to put all the extra work on the government?

Eddie_Haskell 2 years ago

You meant to say 25 large. But that's okay, you're probably a degenerate gambler like me.....

NotASquishHead 2 years ago

Actually, it would 2.5 large... A "large" is $1,000.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 12 months ago

headdoctor 1 year, 12 months ago

Not to mention how many times smoke detectors have been checked and the battery or batteries are missing because the tenant needed to power something else.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 12 months ago

Thanks Eddie. Now I never have to watch Criminal Minds again.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

---same thought as GeorgeB above, plus: think motion sensing video recording devices might be nice too!

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

in the video, Bradford included: someone who is trying to send a message.
I can suggest people like: anarchists; ecoterrorists; people who think we have too many apartments in lawrence???

$2,500 seems low but I'm glad there's at least some reward finally!

I simply hope this guy (and I'm not being sexist but being a realist) gets caught before he harms or kills somebody!

we're so very lucky that's not already happened!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 12 months ago

Ren wrote: ^^Inspecting a house once every 3 years is not going to save the day when tenants don't replace their smoke alarm batteries in the interim periods. I can't even begin to tell you how many homes I've turned over that when I test the smoke alarm the battery is dead. The tenant will then say things like "oh, that's what that beeping was for 2 months?"

---there just ain't no fixin' dumb.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 12 months ago

I once received a phone call from a tenant notifying me that I needed to replace a light fixture as it was broken. I showed up to find that by "broken" what she meant was that the light bulb was burned out.

In a second, completely separate situation as I was doing a tenant checkout, I noticed that there were multiple light bulbs burned out throughout the house. On our checkout form we have a standard $1 per charge to the deposit for replacing burned out light bulbs. In passing, I asked the tenant if perhaps she had replacement light bulbs on her as certainly her replacing the bulbs on her own would be cheaper than what we'd charge to replace them. Her response: "I don't know how to do that".

These people are real and they live amongst us.

George_Braziller 1 year, 12 months ago

My neighbor tried to get her landlord just to fix the leaky shower (or at least attach the enclosure to the wall), repair the leak in the roof so she didn't have to put a bucket on top of the fridge to collect water coming through the ceiling every time it rained, and repair the ceiling fan she couldn't use because it shot sparks if she tried to turn it on.

He evicted her because he said he couldn't work on the apartment while she was living there. That was seven months ago. No work has been done, and the apartment sits empty.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 12 months ago

landlords can instruct tennants regarding the smoke alarms when units get first occupied. that might help. but a lot of them will still lift the batteries or just be stupid.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 12 months ago

I know a couple of people displaced by one of the early fires. this is scaring a huge number of people. it's gotta be stoppd.