First Bell: Lawrence schools honor parents and volunteers
The Lawrence school district recognized parents and volunteers from each of the 20 schools in the district during its annual Friends of Education Reception. The event is a tradition in the district during American Education Week.
This year’s honorees were:
• Broken Arrow School: Jennifer Stellwagon, for her work with the PTA, site council and numerous activities.
• West Middle School: Lori Brungardt, leader of Parents of West Warhawks
• Deerfield School: Andria Devlin, PTO president
• South Middle School: Sonia Arb, for volunteer work to improve campus safety procedures.
• Sunset Hill School: Jennifer Ankenbauer, PTO co-president
• Liberty Memorial Central Middle School: Alex Weston, for organizing donations for the Fun Run and other volunteer activities.
• New York School: Josh and Cari Davis, for leading the school’s site council, PTO and other activities.
• Southwest Middle School: Nancy O’Connor, for work with school food garden projects.
• Kennedy School: Pam McDermott, for work improving the courtyard gardens, PTO activity and other volunteer work.
• Free State High School: Jeff Heline, for work on the school site council and serving as its Josten’s representative.
• Hillcrest School: Dennis and Tracy Hill, for supporting the school clinic, work on the PTO and other activities.
• Woodlawn School: Andi Anderson and Emily Markoulatos, for securing a Healthy Habits for Life grant.
• Lawrence High School: Laurie Marienua, member of the Lion’s Pride Gardening Club and active member of booster clubs.
• Sunflower School: Melanie Davies, who brings her 100-pound Goldendoodle dog Lily to school twice a week, making students feel happy and safe.
• Prairie Park School: Lisa Willard and Piper Njoroge, for reading to kindergartners and first-graders for four years.
• Cordley School: Shannon Buerger, for work on the PTA and the Cordley Clerical Corps.
• Langston Hughes School: Kim Rack, for helping maintain the school’s landscaping, work with the Science Fair and other activities.
• Quail Run School: Laura Vaughn, homeroom parent, classroom volunteer and PTO member.
• Schwegler School: Kristy Teska, PTA member and Scout leader.
• Pinckney School: Bill Harrison, for donations to students in need and work as a “fixer-upper” inside and outside the school.