Lawrence City Band summer concert schedule
All concerts begin at 8 p.m. at the gazebo in South Park.
• May 30, “The Season’s Opener,” featuring a tribute to Benny Goodman, the “King of Swing.”
• June 6, “Lawrence Legends,” featuring Paul Gray and the Gaslight Gang, and Clyde Bosom, and more.
• June 13, “City Band Showcase,” featuring different sections of the band.
• June 20, “Annual Children’s Concert,” featuring Jose Javier Valerio, professor of saxophone at the University of Costa Rica.
• June 27, “Big Band Salute,” featuring popular hits from the Big Band era.
• July 3, “Fourth of July Concert and Veterans’ Salute.”
• July 11, “From Russia With Love.”
• July 18, “The Grand Finale,” featuring the “1812 Overture” and “The Stars and Stripes Forever” with fireworks.
The Lawrence City Band has announced its summer concert schedule, with eight concerts featuring a range of musical styles.
“We try and focus on things that are of interest in the community,” said Robert Foster, the band’s conductor.
The concerts, which are free, are scheduled to run for eight consecutive weeks starting on Wednesday and ending on July 18 with a Grand Finale Concert.
All the concerts are at 8 p.m., and all are on Wednesday nights, except the concert that celebrates Independence Day, which is scheduled for Tuesday, July 3. The concerts are at the gazebo bandstand in South Park.
The concert series includes a number of highlights, including a tribute to Lawrence legends on June 6 featuring Clyde Bysom, who has been performing in the South Park gazebo for more than 70 years.
A concert on June 27 will feature Big Band music, which is something that the band gets a lot of requests for, Foster said.
The Fourth of July concert on July 3 will also feature a veterans’ salute, Foster said. He said the band tries to select a variety of music that revolves around one central theme for each concert.
“A good concert is like a balanced meal,” he said.