Archive for Friday, March 23, 2012

Fox’s Rivera: Fla. teen’s hoodie had role in death

March 23, 2012

— Fox News Channel commentator Geraldo Rivera said Friday that the hoodie an unarmed black teenager wore when he was killed in Florida is as much responsible for his death as the man who shot him.

The veteran TV personality, speaking on “Fox & Friends,” waded in with an opinion on the shooting of Trayvon Martin, a story that has attracted national attention over the past month. He later acknowledged that his comments were “politically incorrect.”

People wearing hooded sweatshirts are often going to be perceived as a menace, Rivera said.

“I’ll bet you money that if he didn’t have that hoodie on, that nutty neighborhood watch guy wouldn’t have responded in that violent and aggressive way,” Rivera said.

The unarmed 17-year-old Martin was killed Feb. 26 in Sanford. He was wearing a hoodie and returning from a trip to a convenience store when neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman started following him, telling police dispatchers he looked suspicious. Zimmerman hasn’t been charged and says he shot Martin in self-defense.

Comments

observant 2 years, 9 months ago

math, even though you believe anything any Fox liar posits doesn't mean ordinary thinking people do.

grammaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

"Ordinary thinking people" don't rely on Faux Noise. Ever.Math is neither ordinary or a thinker.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 9 months ago

The use of a hoodie has become common in the world of poker. It hides the players face, giving away less "tells". Perhaps some part of the problem with it's use on the streets is that we can't see the face of the person. Are they staring in a menacing manner? Are they looking at me, at my possessions, at my girlfriend?
The use of a hoodie opens up a whole new world of unknown possibilities, allowing for our imaginations to run wild. Maybe it's like a guy who walks into a dark bar at midnight wearing dark sunglasses. What's he trying to hind?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 9 months ago

A hoodie hinds part of the face. Then, depending how one wears it, it could hind slightly more. Or if pulled tighter, even more can be hid. In poker, it's a very common tactic.

50YearResident 2 years, 9 months ago

And I thought "hinds" was a typo.........

jhawkinsf 2 years, 9 months ago

It was, thrice. "hides". Apparently my fingers are developing a life of their own.

notaubermime 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm wearing my KU hoodie right now in preparation for the game today. I hope that nobody breaks into my house and shoots me for being a suspicious person...

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

I have an all weather jacket with a "hoodie"; doesn't mean I'll get shot, because I'm not a young male hispanic or black.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 9 months ago

What a load of crap! Take him off the air!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

Only people you agree with should have access to the media, merrill?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 9 months ago

Rivera probably has a point-- hoodies have become associated with a class of kids that are already viewed with suspicion, usually for no particularly good reason-- young black males.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 9 months ago

That makes absolutely no sense-- not that that is ever much of a consideration in your postings.

Sheryl Wiggins 2 years, 9 months ago

sorry Math, I am not an extreme leftist and not much of what you say makes sense to me either.

beatrice 2 years, 9 months ago

So you think Zimmerman would be justified for shooting a woman just for wearing a burka too? Wow is right.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

I gave all my employees hoodies as part of their Christmas bonus one year. Thankfully I recognized the company logo the next work day or I might have had to hang the "Help Wanted" sign out.

50YearResident 2 years, 9 months ago

Rivera has a valid point. If you review video footage of fast food & 7-11 robberies you will see a definate trends with most of the perpertraters wearing hoodies. Color of the skin is not the dominate factor when anyone with a hoodie comes into the 7-11 at 3:00 AM tensions rise to the panic level.

beatrice 2 years, 9 months ago

Robbers also carry guns. I guess that means all gun owners are now suspect of being criminals. Quess we better start questioning every person who carries a gun, because they are all very possibly criminals in waiting, right?

Regarding hoodies, the big difference between walking down a street wearing a hoodie and wearing one in a 7-11 store is that it rarely rains inside a 7-11.

50YearResident 2 years, 9 months ago

stalk and kill him????? those are pretty harsh words. Are you saying Zimmerman is already "guilty" of stalking and killing, is this your unbiased opinion, or did it come from a jury of 12?

beatrice 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe you don't care for the words used. Perhaps you would prefer "followed and took the life of another." Call it what you will, Martin is dead and Zimmerman is the one who pulled the trigger after having followed Martin for walking down the street. Yes, those actually are the established facts of the case. The jury would be to determine if Zimmerman did so in self defense or not ... if he ever is charged for the crime, that is. That he killed someone after following them, however, has been determined.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 8 months ago

I would think the "following" part would negate the Stand Your Ground law.

deec 2 years, 9 months ago

So it is okay to stalk, chase down, attack and shoot someone because you don't like their clothing? Since the biggest crooks in the world wear business suits...

Armstrong 2 years, 9 months ago

Geraldo lost his status as a legit reporter years ago when he was on ABC. I especially liked his piece on racist dog trainers or Al Capones secret (empty) vault that was the end of his career

jaywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

YES!!!! Hate to use the word hate, but when it comes to that miscreant.........

beatrice 2 years, 9 months ago

And yet Fox hired him anyway? Curious. Makes one question their hiring practices in general.

Armstrong 2 years, 9 months ago

Geralodo is rightwing ? That makes your post sooo much more credible

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 9 months ago

He's a sloppy journalist who likes to be controversial-- just the kind Fox likes.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Here's one Hispanic wearing a hoodie who looks suspicious. Wouldn't want him on my street.

Katara 2 years, 9 months ago

Most definitely!

Here's another dangerous thug wearing a hoodie. You need to watch out for this type.

jaywalker 2 years, 9 months ago

I loathe Rivera, but he didn't say anything politically incorrect or essentially wrong. I don't know what exactly perpetuated this tragedy, but I don't think anyone could discount the possibility that a hoodie could raise suspicion in someone. I've been saying for a while that hip hop music has been a huge success, while hip hop culture has been a disastrous failure. A huge part of the problem is there are kids fronting they're 'gangstas' w/ the fashion; when the look is misunderstood this kind of thing can happen.

Whatever the case, all of this simply makes me sick to my stomach. I couldn't hurt more for Trayvon's family and anyone close to the shooter. They all must be feeling the weight of the world.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Cobert said it nicely: Wearing a hoodie makes a thug the same way a mustache and glasses make a journalist..

50YearResident 2 years, 9 months ago

New information is being released about Zimmerman being attacked from behind by Martin and knocked to the ground and recieved repeated blows to the face and nose.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 8 months ago

Sure - my goodness, he had an "empty baggie" of marijuana, so obviously he was a danger to society.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 8 months ago

Well now - I guess we have all forgotten that only racist white mobs are allowed to do any lynching.