Archive for Friday, March 23, 2012

Fox’s Rivera: Fla. teen’s hoodie had role in death

March 23, 2012

— Fox News Channel commentator Geraldo Rivera said Friday that the hoodie an unarmed black teenager wore when he was killed in Florida is as much responsible for his death as the man who shot him.

The veteran TV personality, speaking on “Fox & Friends,” waded in with an opinion on the shooting of Trayvon Martin, a story that has attracted national attention over the past month. He later acknowledged that his comments were “politically incorrect.”

People wearing hooded sweatshirts are often going to be perceived as a menace, Rivera said.

“I’ll bet you money that if he didn’t have that hoodie on, that nutty neighborhood watch guy wouldn’t have responded in that violent and aggressive way,” Rivera said.

The unarmed 17-year-old Martin was killed Feb. 26 in Sanford. He was wearing a hoodie and returning from a trip to a convenience store when neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman started following him, telling police dispatchers he looked suspicious. Zimmerman hasn’t been charged and says he shot Martin in self-defense.

Comments

Gotland 2 years ago

This case might end up being another embarrassment for the racist black lynch mobs, just like the Duke Lacrosse case…………………..If they had any shame.

50YearResident 2 years ago

New information is being released about Zimmerman being attacked from behind by Martin and knocked to the ground and recieved repeated blows to the face and nose.

Roland Gunslinger 2 years ago

If Geraldo is right about hoodies... someone better get Bill Bellicheck's arse to a safe house RIGHT NOW!

jaywalker 2 years ago

I loathe Rivera, but he didn't say anything politically incorrect or essentially wrong. I don't know what exactly perpetuated this tragedy, but I don't think anyone could discount the possibility that a hoodie could raise suspicion in someone. I've been saying for a while that hip hop music has been a huge success, while hip hop culture has been a disastrous failure. A huge part of the problem is there are kids fronting they're 'gangstas' w/ the fashion; when the look is misunderstood this kind of thing can happen.

Whatever the case, all of this simply makes me sick to my stomach. I couldn't hurt more for Trayvon's family and anyone close to the shooter. They all must be feeling the weight of the world.

its_just_math 2 years ago

I'm really surprised Jerry Springer has not filled Olbermann's spot on MSNBC. He would be a greeeaaat replacement....for sure WOW!

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Here's one Hispanic wearing a hoodie who looks suspicious. Wouldn't want him on my street.

Armstrong 2 years ago

Geraldo lost his status as a legit reporter years ago when he was on ABC. I especially liked his piece on racist dog trainers or Al Capones secret (empty) vault that was the end of his career

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

If one wears "Jeans" on KU campus during "Wear Jeans if you're Gay Day" but you are not "Gay" can one expect a "inviting" wink and smile from another guy?

deec 2 years ago

So it is okay to stalk, chase down, attack and shoot someone because you don't like their clothing? Since the biggest crooks in the world wear business suits...

50YearResident 2 years ago

Rivera has a valid point. If you review video footage of fast food & 7-11 robberies you will see a definate trends with most of the perpertraters wearing hoodies. Color of the skin is not the dominate factor when anyone with a hoodie comes into the 7-11 at 3:00 AM tensions rise to the panic level.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

I gave all my employees hoodies as part of their Christmas bonus one year. Thankfully I recognized the company logo the next work day or I might have had to hang the "Help Wanted" sign out.

its_just_math 2 years ago

Can imagine if it were an Arab woman wearing a burka that Zimmerman shot. Would the left-winger zealots ever have a hayday with that one! Wow!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years ago

Rivera probably has a point-- hoodies have become associated with a class of kids that are already viewed with suspicion, usually for no particularly good reason-- young black males.

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

What a load of crap! Take him off the air!

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

The use of a hoodie has become common in the world of poker. It hides the players face, giving away less "tells". Perhaps some part of the problem with it's use on the streets is that we can't see the face of the person. Are they staring in a menacing manner? Are they looking at me, at my possessions, at my girlfriend?
The use of a hoodie opens up a whole new world of unknown possibilities, allowing for our imaginations to run wild. Maybe it's like a guy who walks into a dark bar at midnight wearing dark sunglasses. What's he trying to hind?

observant 2 years ago

math, even though you believe anything any Fox liar posits doesn't mean ordinary thinking people do.

its_just_math 2 years ago

Oh yeah, anything coming out of the mouth of any Fox News personality about this or anything else will be put through the corrupt liberal media's meat grinder---you can bet on it.