Archive for Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lawrence woman reports burglary at apartment

March 21, 2012

A 21-year-old Lawrence woman reported a burglary and theft of more than $1,800 worth of items from an apartment in the 3100 block of Ousdahl Road that occurred between 1 a.m. and shortly before 9 a.m. Saturday. Items stolen included a PlayStation 2, several DVDs and a Samsung flat panel television.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

"reprots burglary"?

Maybe I should come down to the office and help you.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh I forgot, I'm not qualified to do that, since I don't have a college degree. And to top that off, I only finished one three semester hour class in English and got a C.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

But, it's not fair at all for me to criticize. For you people 3 AM is in the middle of the night, and I don't have days and nights like most people do.

Ragingbear 2 years, 9 months ago

To be fair, the built in spell check program that is constantly running is difficult to understand and computers scare people.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

I suppose it helps if you can stay awake late at night.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

It might seem funny to us, but I guarantee you it's not funny at all to the woman whose apartment was broken into. I've had it happen to me, and it's a shock to come home to the mess they usually leave behind.

You always think you're hiding something when it's on the bottom in the back of a drawer. No, you're not hiding anything at all. Because at least sometimes, they just pull the drawers all out and throw the contents onto the floor.

Plus, there's the terrible fear that they might come back. I had to move after I was broken into, because I simply didn't feel safe there anymore. I'm sure it's much worse for a woman.

I just don't understand how people can do that to each other. But then, there's also a lot of other things people do that I don't understand at all either.

verity 2 years, 9 months ago

It's called a lack of empathy. It's why a lot of people do things they shouldn't to other people.

verity 2 years, 9 months ago

My new computer changes spelling as I type to a completely different word. Haven't yet figured out how to turn that function off. I hate it when software is designed to "help" me, but instead overrules me.

deec 2 years, 9 months ago

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: It's me, Dave. Open up, man, I got the stuff. (More knocks) CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: It's me, Dave, man. Open up, I got the stuff. CHONG: Who? CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Open up, I think the cops saw me come in here. (More knocks) CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Will you open up, I got the stuff with me. CHONG: Who? CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up. CHONG: Dave? CHEECH: Yeah, Dave. C'mon, man, open up, I think the cops saw me. CHONG: Dave's not here. CHEECH: No, man, I'm Dave, man. (Sharp knocks at the door) CHEECH: Hey, c'mon, man. CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me. CHONG: Who? CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up. CHONG: Dave? CHEECH: Yeah, Dave. CHONG: Dave's not here. CHEECH: What the hell? No, man, I am Dave, man. Will you... (More knocks) CHEECH: C'mon! Open up the door, will you? I got the stuff with me, I think the cops saw me. CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: Oh, what the hell is it...c'mon. Open up the door! It's Dave! CHONG: Who? CHEECH: Dave! D-A-V-E! Will you open up the goddamn door! CHONG: Dave? CHEECH: Yeah, Dave! CHONG: Dave? CHEECH: Right, man. Dave. Now will you open up the door? CHONG: Dave's not here.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

That's one of my favorite comedies, and I hadn't thought of it in years. You must not be a Cheech & Chong fan!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Plus, I was teasing deec. I know that person.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

deec, were you thinking about that damn door in apartment # 27?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

There was sure no problem getting that one open!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

deec, if I get all the way to your place and you're not home, I'm going to pick some flowers and leave!

bad_dog 2 years, 9 months ago

I could be wrong but I believe the "Dave" being referred above to was a character in "2001-A Space Odyssey".

"Open the pod door Hal". "I'm sorry Dave. I can not do that."

Other than that, you're correct, man...

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes indeed bad_dog, I'm sure you're right, it was HAL. That's another one I had forgotten about!

classclown 2 years, 9 months ago

I had to reprot a burgary one time. After I proted it originary I realized it wasn;t going to work as pranned.

verity 2 years, 9 months ago

Damn, that'll teach me to bitch. Hal and gang was a lot more interesting back in the sixties than later when my head was clearer.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah really. And we thought that computers were going to be so smart, and then it turned out that they're no smarter than the people that operate them.