City construction projects are now mapped at http://lawks.us/construction-map.
• The city will begin its mill, overlay, curb and gutter improvement program Monday. There is a possibility of street closures during the asphalt overlay work, but contractors intend to keep traffic open in both directions where possible. Work will begin in the area bound by West Second Street to West Sixth Street and Indiana Street to Maine Street. A full map of the summer’s in-city construction projects is available at http://bit.ly/O7fiib.
• The city will continue its microsurfacing program in July. There is a possibility of street closures during the asphalt overlay work, but contractors intend to keep traffic open in both directions where possible. Work will begin in the area bound by Kasold Drive to Monterey Way and West Sixth Street to Harvard Road.
• West 22nd Street is closed west of Ousdahl Road, and parking is not allowed. Completion: July 29
• The city will continue its concrete rehabilitation program. There is a possibility of street closures, but contractors intend to keep traffic open in both directions where possible. The area affected by concrete patching includes: Princeton Boulevard from Lawrence Avenue to Peterson Road; North Third Street from Elm Street to Lincoln Street; Lincoln Street and Perry Street from North Second Street to North Third Street.
• Northbound traffic will be restricted to one lane on North Third Street near the Kansas Turnpike entrance. Completion: June 2012.
• Water lines will be replaced along 23rd Street from approximately Barker Avenue to just east of the Douglas County maintenance yard, 711 E. 23rd St. Sanitary sewer piping will be reconstructed along the Burroughs Creek alignment north and south of East 23rd Street. These projects will close North Perimeter Road and East 23rd Street Frontage Road throughout construction. Completion: June 2012.
• The northbound Kansas River bridge will have its inside lane closed from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Both lanes will be open outside of construction hours.
• The outside lane of eastbound traffic on Sixth Street from Monterey Way to Kasold Drive will be closed. Crews will also be working on installing an eastbound right-turn lane at Sixth and Kasold. Completion: Aug. 10.
• The outside east- and westbound lanes of Sixth Street from Iowa Street to Monterey Way will be closed with work happening between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Crews will be replacing the curb and gutters on Sixth and installing a right-turn lane at Sixth and Kasold. Completion: by Aug. 10.
• The Kansas River levee is closed for construction of Bowersock Mills and Power Co.’s new plant on the north bank. Users will be detoured to city streets crossing at the controlled intersection of North Second and Locust streets. Completion: late 2012.
U.S. Highway 40/U.S. Highway 59 Kansas River bridge
• At 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, crews will begin setting traffic control to close the northbound left lane on the northbound Kansas River bridge for inspection work that will take place between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. that same day. All lanes will be reopened by 3 p.m. The southbound lane will close during the same period the following day.
• County Road 1055 (also known as Sixth Street) between U.S. Highway 56 (Ames Street) and Firetree Avenue will be closed. It will likely stay closed through July, but there will be a marked detour.
East 1900 Road
• County Road 1057/East 1900 Road is closed between the Kansas Highway 10 interchange and County Road 458/North 1000 Road. A marked detour is provided. Completion: November 2012.
U.S. Highway 59
• North 200 Road is closed at U.S. Highway 59 for frontage road construction work. Completion: late 2012.