Archive for Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Police arrest two Illinois parents after surrounding vehicle in parking lot of westside Walmart

Police handcuff a man in the parking lot of Wal-Mart, Sixth and Congressional, on Wednesday, June 13, 2012.

June 13, 2012, 11:31 a.m. Updated June 13, 2012, 5:28 p.m.

Lawrence police on Wednesday arrested a Northlake, Ill., couple after officers discovered two children bound and blindfolded in the family vehicle that contained three other children.

The older Chevrolet Suburban with no plates was parked at Walmart, 550 Congressional Drive, and about 11 a.m. a customer called police after she noticed what appeared to be a child, whose hands were bound, standing outside the vehicle, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman. The child also was blindfolded.

Police eventually surrounded the vehicle, which was on the west end of the parking lot.

A 52-year-old man was detained near the vehicle after he resisted officers.

“A Taser was used when the adult male was actively resisting arrest,” McKinley said.

A woman was taken into custody inside the store without incident.

The man and woman, who police believe are the children’s biological parents, were arrested on two counts of child abuse and five counts of endangering a child, McKinley said. The man also was arrested on a charge of felony obstruction. Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said prosecutors would review information in the case to make a decision about filing formal charges.

The Journal-World generally does not identify suspects unless they are formally charged.

Initially at least three of the five children refused to leave the vehicle, and the two younger children, ages 5 and 7, were taken into protective custody. Then at 11:45 a.m. three teenagers left the vehicle and got into cars with investigators. The five children involved are ages 5 to 15, and police were working with Kansas Social and Rehabilitation Services employees about protective custody for the children.

McKinley said Wednesday afternoon police think the 5-year-old boy and 7-year-old girl had their hands bound and were blindfolded.

Medics examined people at the scene, but no one was taken to the hospital. Officers also were examining the vehicle, which had sheets covering the windows, the sergeant said.

Police think the family members were traveling from North Lake, Ill., to Arizona when they experienced car trouble on Interstate 70 and had been in Walmart’s parking lot since Monday evening.

A Walmart spokeswoman said Wednesday afternoon the store was cooperating with Lawrence police, including reviewing surveillance video and turning it over to officers.

The man detained by police was still in custody as of Wednesday night, being held without bond.

Comments

Phoghorn 2 years, 10 months ago

These guys are all over the Wall Street Journal forums. All of their comments are nearly identical, including the same grammatical errors. They keep resurfacing under different names. Be ready for a plague of them LJW unless you can get a firewall patch (or whatever the correct term is).

doc1 2 years, 10 months ago

Hahaha thats pretty good. Remember kids..... Stereotypes are based on reality.

christiangirl93 2 years, 10 months ago

If the LJW had a WTF section, this story would totally be in it.

katydee58 2 years, 10 months ago

You all that are making stupid comments have know idea what you are talking about you just think you have something to say and everyone wants to here your stupid comment. If you had any thing to say that was worth anything, you should be praying for the children, they are the ones that are suffering and you have no idea what the poor children have been through. There are so many children out there in this world that are needing good people who just cares about them and what they are suffering. If you have never went through something like haveing your parents abuse you or anyone in your family and maybe been told your not wanted and maybe threatened if you talk and tell anyone. Read the book "Child Called It". It happens! Step up and speak out to save our children they are our future! Instead of getting on here and making comments get out in our community and step up to help clean up our country and stop abusing our children no matter what race they deserve our help. I Pray for these children. They are going to need our community to step up!

Bursting 2 years, 10 months ago

We need to quit wasting money on marijuana enforcement and start spending it on the children!!!

shadowlady 2 years, 10 months ago

I have read the book "Child Called It", and that book is heartbreaking, that poor child to have to go through, what he had to go through.

americangirl44 2 years, 10 months ago

There were 5 or more children in the suburban. I heard it was out in the parking lot for over 2 days, with coverings over the windows. The children had their hands bound behind their backs and mouths taped shut. They arrested a woman who from what I heard was purchasing tarps and a baseball bat. The man was tasered in the parking lot several times, and onlookers heard him screaming, "Hallelujah"...Last thing I heard before I left Walmart was that police were calling it some kind of an abduction and the children were taken to the hospital for medical attention. Why no one noticed or checked on the vehicle until today worries me! A female customer saw a child bound in the vehicle and called 911... All I can say is if all of what I heard is true then those sick bastards need to pay. AND again, I heard all of this from another customer. Not sure how much of it is true...

christiangirl93 2 years, 10 months ago

I saw it all unfold as I was walking to my jeep. There is no reason why that man needed to be tazed multiple times. One is clearly enough. What I witnessed was a group of cops basically enjoying tazing him. It was a sick sight.

christiangirl93 2 years, 10 months ago

Are you serious?? I have never been arrested because I don't break the law.

SweetHorndew 2 years, 10 months ago

I hope they tazed him over and over again... some much so that...he wouldnt need a night lite.

Brent Fry 2 years, 10 months ago

He was tased multiple times because he a) originally resisted arrest and b) continued to resist arrest. Plain and simple, he disobeyed the commands of the officers. Lawrence Police officers are trained to use their tasers as a last resort, so obviously they felt the situation warranted tasing this individual in order to safely detain him.

Now based on your most, I don't expect you to be able to digest any of what I said, because the facts don't support your anti-police agenda. I can only hope that if a situation ever arise where you need their support, they are just a second too late.

Brent Fry 2 years, 10 months ago

"Post". I would typically say that you know what I meant, but your posting in this article thus far suggests otherwise.

I'll be sure to proofread any future posts that I make so that I don't confuse your delicate little brain.

kef104 2 years, 10 months ago

Funny, you are criticizing someone else's grammar. "One is clearly enough" should have been "Once was clearly enough" or even "Once would have been clearly enough."

Kyle Chandler 2 years, 10 months ago

After reading your 'most' i guess im able to deduct that you seem to enjoy defending the police, maybe you are a wife of a cop?. I wouldnt call christiangirl93's post an 'anti-police agenda', she was just explaining what she witnessed and since you obviously were not there why dont you calm down. You seem a bit sensitive.

Also, to think that all cops follow protocol and behave ethically is just naive, pick up a history book....look at Lawrences history. The police dont seem to have the greatest record around here. And guess what, when you need them, they usually arent there anyway.....

Brent Fry 2 years, 10 months ago

Enjoy defending the police? No, I don't go around seeking opportunities to do that. But when officers are being spoken badly about for a situation in which the followed protocol by the letter of the law, I will stick up for them.

I was not there to watch, but I have information to know that they acted accordingly based on how the situation unfolded.

Topple 2 years, 10 months ago

To play devil's advocate...there have been countless cases of police brutality and excessive use of force. People get amped up on adrenaline and sometimes make bad decisions in emotional situations. Child abuse is definitely one where I'd wager emotions are running high.

You can see for yourself just reading the comments here that some people think the officers should have been taken justice into their own hands. Dish out a bit of their own punishment for what the guy has done. You don't think officers ever feel the same way, perhaps even act on that feeling?

I'm not saying these officers were wrong to tase him multiple times, because I wasn't there, just like you weren't, CMM. For all I know they took it easy on him based on his behavior. But officers are not infallible.

Melinda Black 2 years, 10 months ago

"Christiangirl was there and witnessed it herself. I think she has more authority posting on the matter than you do."

Agreed.

kef104 2 years, 10 months ago

Please read the rest of her posts, including on other topics, before you agree.

kef104 2 years, 10 months ago

She just wants to appear supportive of anyone who screams "hallelujah!" Who cares if children are being held or hurt or possibly worse? It is more important for her to present an image of anti-government, anti-police. Read her other posts if you need further support.

Kyle Chandler 2 years, 10 months ago

They should have just opened fire on the whole suburban right! Go America!

kef104 2 years, 10 months ago

You should be thrilled the only force used was a taser. I do not support violence. There were children bound and blindfolded, held in a van with the windows covered, and the male "protecting" the van failed to comply and resisted arrest. What would you have done? Perhaps given the man a nice note suggesting he return to the city once he felt it was okay to let the police look in the van? Seriously, are you crazy? No one sustained any permanent wounds, people are in custody, and the children are now safe. For this you are bitching and projecting that others wanted escalated violence.

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

You must be confused. You claim someone doesn't care if the children are being held or hurt? Was that post deleted or only in your mind? I am not saying you are lying when you make the claim that if someone says something about tazing that means they want children hurt, I am just suggesting you make personal remarks without caring about being factual or you let your imagining lead you to make inaccurate and stupid accusations. Just to help you, no one said what you claimed.

Brent Fry 2 years, 10 months ago

She asked for some support. Help me, the internet bullies have shredded my comments and I have no rebuttal except for to point out any spelling or grammar mistakes they may have made.

kitchentable471 2 years, 10 months ago

They never use less than lethal force without good cause. If the individuals actions become dangerous and put the lives of the police or the public in jeopardy then they have to take actions to protect themselves and us. They don't use the tazer for fun, it's a tool that is used within department policy to get the job done. Get over it.. it obviously had to be done.

JimmyJoeBob 2 years, 10 months ago

Greg should have dropped the knife when orderd to and he should have never charged the officers.

roadrunner 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe if they used tasers back then, the Sevier case would have turned out differently.... It's easy to judge when your not the officer(s) involved in the situation.

DrQuack 2 years, 10 months ago

Greg Sevier attacked police officers with a deadly weapon. He refused to drop it. They shot him in self defense. Do you think the police should have let Sevier kill them? They had every right to stop him. (permanently)

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

To christiangirl93: If what you are reporting is true, then you should have contacted the police and filed a formal complaint. And if you did this, I praise your civic duty. If you did not, then you are a part of the problem and deserve our scorn. Which are you?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm curious what your credentials were to judge that situation? Were you responsible for taking that person into custody in a manner that did not allow the man to cause further harm to the children or to the other police officers? My point is that it's pretty easy to say they did it wrong when you're standing 100 feet away and are not responsible for anyone's life and safety.

However, as someone else said, you are more than welcome to file a complaint with the LPD.

Topple 2 years, 10 months ago

If you believe credentials are required to determine whether someone has broken the rules, you must have serious reservations about the use of juries in our court systems.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 10 months ago

Juries are educated as to the situation and the rules pertaining to that situation. A girl who watched some of it from 100' away is not nearly as educated to the situation as a jury who watched the footage and heard multiple pieces of evidence pertaining to the situation.

The girl is welcome to report the activity, and act as a witness account if it ever got that far (unlikely). Her opinion would hold little credence to the dash cam footage and testimony of other police officers at the scene.

tsmjcc 2 years, 10 months ago

that man deserved that as far as im concerned my god there were not only 1 child but 5 children involved in this crap . that is crazy there are people out there that cant have children that would have taken them they didnt have to go to that extreme

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

The parent deserved to be arrested in a professional manner, that is the safest and I am sure the method the police require. The children deserve protection. I hope the kids are ok. It sounds terrible for them. The suggestions the police should mete out extra punishment as they arrest the parents in response to the children's condition does a real disservice to the police. They have a tough job and do not need to be goaded into the role of fulfilling some of the sadist's fantasies that post on this forum. Thanks to the citizen that called in her suspicions, she might of saved those kids. Good for her. I am glad the arrest went in such a way that the children were put into a protective space. It sounds like the officers gave the teens time to come out of their car on their own.
But no, I don't support the yahoos on this forum that hope to turn the police into some sort of extra revenge and attack squad. Leave it to the courts. The police have a real job, not the emotional overcharged role some seem to be calling for. If some officer shares the view that he or she should give some extra shocks because of the children's plight, he or she is doing a disservice to the good officers that act professionally.

Eugehne Normandin 2 years, 10 months ago

sounds like you your on the child abusers side please stay away from child

ladybug18 2 years, 10 months ago

I know someone who workes at that walmart and they said that they were trying to buy a tarp, duct tape, and a base ball bat. Lets think about this, wrap them in the tarp and tape it shut then beat them? Hmmm yea I think that they should have been tazed a lot! They r lucky thats all they got. Children were blind folded and bounded and ur worried about the man who was probably going to murder them being tazed one to many time? In my book he should be still getting tazed. My friend said the youngest boy was still in baby diapers. A 5 year old in baby dipers. Sick twisted people ok. SICK AND TWISTED.

Topple 2 years, 10 months ago

I was buying wire hangars and propane over the weekend. Lets think about this. Put the hangars into a fire and brand people with them! I should have been tased before I made it to my car! Oh wait, I was going camping and was going to grill and make smores with the hangars. See what I did there? Your imagination is healthy, sir/ma'am.

Getaroom 2 years, 10 months ago

What part of "resisting arrest" don't you 'digest'? Did you totally think he was TAZED for fun by the cops twice because it was like totally awesome to do it? Get your head on right and stop taking up space, Poser.

jonas_opines 2 years, 10 months ago

"All I can say is if all of what I heard is true then those sick bastards need to pay. AND again, I heard all of this from another customer. Not sure how much of it is true..."

This really should have been at the front of the post, Before your graphic description of a second-hand account. Just sayin'

Richard Ballard 2 years, 10 months ago

Well, they won't let you live in junker vans in front of South Park anymore.

Where else you gonna park and tie up your kids but Walmart?

rc

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

Good job to the person who called 911. You may have very well saved those kid's lives.

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Americangirl-If you just HEARD this and that from a third party why would you bother to post it except to call attention to yourself? Are you in such need of attention that you would post speculation instead of truths regarding a situation as potentially horrible as this situation is. The 911 caller is the hero in this followed by the police who detained these people.

kujayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

How do you bring attention to yourself on an anonymous message board?

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, I think she was just trying to share the information she heard with the people here who are probably extremely curious.

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

JackMcKee 2 years, 10 months ago

"The child was also blinded folded"

I'm not sure what this means.

George Diepenbrock 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks. We updated the story again, and I tried to make it more clear. Let me know if you have other questions or see something else.

There were five children total. The two younger ones, who were said to have their hands bound, were taken into police custody earlier than the three older ones. The older ones at first did not want to come out of the vehicle until they later went with police.

It has been a developing story with information coming out throughout the afternoon. The story has been written and re-written several times to get as much information as possible up online. Thanks for your patience.

americangirl44 2 years, 10 months ago

No attention to myself is necessary please, I just thought the public needs to be aware that there are sickos in our area all the time and please keep an eye on your children and the situations around you. This was a very sad scene to watch and although I do not fully understand the situation, there are children involved who had their hands tied and they were"blindfolded" (as I stand corrected). Yes, much thanks to the lady with enough sense to call 911. I apologize to anyone whom I have offended. It was a very exciting scene and I am a nosy lady who wanted answers to what was witnessed today.

Mumoftwo 2 years, 10 months ago

People are worried about this guy being tasered but um hello what about the children? He didn't deserve to be tasered who the eff cares he had children bound in his vehicle.

Brent Fry 2 years, 10 months ago

Who cares about the children? This guy was possibly tasered more times than necessary. He should be freed!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm

Topple 2 years, 10 months ago

Yea, when people break laws, police should be able to take out whatever punishment they feel is necessary to satisfy their need to balance the scales. I get excited at the thought of a police force that not only enforces laws but simultaneously passes down judgement!

/sarcasm

akt2 2 years, 10 months ago

It's a pretty small parking lot for something like that to be going on for two days right under management's nose.

true_patriot 2 years, 10 months ago

Wal-Mart is notorious for cutting costs on security and cameras in their parking lots, even in areas where there have been prior serious incidents involving theft and bodily harm.

justoneperson 2 years, 10 months ago

This is not a scientific study, but it is still interesting and applicable. The Wal-Mart part starts about half way down the page. I would post quotes, but there are far too many to include here.

seriouscat 2 years, 10 months ago

My prayers are going out to those poor abused kids! Thank you to ALL the people involved in removing them from such a terrible situation...however imperfectly it was done.

mdfraz 2 years, 10 months ago

It was imperfectly done because one poster feels that the cops shouldn't have tased a resisting suspect more than once? The point of tasers is so that cops don't have to pepper spray, punch, kick, wrestle, use a nightstick, etc. and people are whining because they used what appears to be the lowest level of force that would have been effective. According to the report the suspect actively continued to resist. What would you have the officers do, give up? Ask pretty, pretty please stop resisting? It would be nice to live in la-la land where nothing bad ever happens....... I'm sure christiangirl has training in arresting resisting suspects to be able to give the opinion that one use of the taser was "clearly enough".

Unbelievable.

irvan moore 2 years, 10 months ago

i hate to say this but i don't think we've heard the worst of this story yet

whats_going_on 2 years, 10 months ago

Does this have anything to do with the apparent crazy stuff in front of Dillons? Crazy day today.

Keith 2 years, 10 months ago

Your brain is not working too well either.

Liberty275 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe it was "obama bin foolin his supporters".

"WASHINGTON -- A critical document from President Barack Obama's free trade negotiations with eight Pacific nations was leaked online early Wednesday morning, revealing that the administration intends to bestow radical new political powers upon multinational corporations, contradicting prior promises. "

coloradoan 2 years, 10 months ago

Just how in blazes do you get from the story's subject to Obama? Oh, that's right - you're obsessed, and limited in focus. Never mind, carry on.

Alexander Smith 2 years, 10 months ago

Anyone that brings up politics like you in a case involving the safety of children is sick and should not belong in this country. Your are the towering example of what it is to be anti-American. Please leave the country.

smokey 2 years, 10 months ago

Lets be glad those rotten hippies didn't stop Walmart! Without Walmart those kids would have never been found. Imagine if we got a Lowes?

Liberty275 2 years, 10 months ago

Are there laws against tying up your kids or blindfolding them? I'm not sure those (assuming the binding wasn't tight enough to injure the child) are abuse or endangerment. Granted there are probably extenuating circumstances, but I don't see them mentioned.

Justifying my opinions on the binding and the blindfolding, some people keep their kids on leashes at places like the renfair, and that is a form of binding. Kids have their hands tied behind their back when they bob for apples. The neighbor's kids get a pinata for their birthdays, and they are blindfolded when swinging at it. Those actions aren't illegal that I know of.

I'm not defending the parents, but I think there needs to be malice shown before we go overboard screaming "bound and blindfolded!!!". I'll agree it sounds fishy and everything was probably handled appropriately by the police, but we really need more info.

As for the tasing, it's better than getting beat up or shot, but it really needs to be kept at the absolute minimum.

somebodynew 2 years, 10 months ago

"Hopefully this award-winning news corporation will fill in the details at some later time."

Yep, probably right after the LPD or the DA issues more information.

And something tells me there was not a pinata hanging or a tub for apples anywhere around the Suburban or the parking lot. But then, I wasn't there, so I could be wrong.

Cai 2 years, 10 months ago

some of it is situational and best judgement under the circumstances.

Is there an innocent reason to have a child bound and blindfolded? yes. you mentioned a few.

Is there an innocent reason to have a child bound and blindfolded in the back of a suburban for 2 days while parked at a walmart without moving? ... The length of time plus the location points me to 'most likely not'

Dixie Jones 2 years, 10 months ago

Are you for real ? I agree that yes there needs to be more info, but im not so sure that this was a fun and games day at walmart for these kids..... do you often blindfold and restrain your children for no apparent reason ?

childadvocate 2 years, 10 months ago

Libety275 I am blown away by your post. Yes there are laws about binding children. I get your point but while I was not there I never saw any suggestion of a game of pin the tail on the donkey or of a candy filled pinata or a tub filled with apples. I agree that we can't convict anyone based on this article but neither do we need to throw logic out the window. I have been for the most part very frustrated by most of these posts. I never post on these things but I felt inclined to speak up. I am the mother of adopted children who were removed from their birth family because of child abuse/negelct. Thank God for the many people who called police when they saw the condition of my children that caused the police to remove them from the abhorant conditions they were forced to endure.I praise the person who stepped forward to save these children. So many of you are using this tradegy to make jokes, slam people for their religous beliefs, promote your political views, complain about grammer and spelling, ect..... But let us not forget what is at the center of this. CHILDREN IN NEED OF CARE!!!!!!!! God bless them and all who helped remove them from what appears to be a very dangerous sittuation. I pray that whoever fosters these children will have the strength and fortitude to help and comfort them in this devasting time of their lives. As for the posts here let me say while I am concerned about the focus of many of them I am proud to live in a country where people have fought and died to protect our rights and liberties, making it possible for all of the varried oppinions to be freely expressed here.

conlawgrad 2 years, 10 months ago

What is going on in Lawrence these days???

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 10 months ago

Walmart has those old people security guards driving around constantly and they should have noticed this vehicle sitting for 2 days. Sad.

kujayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Yep, what the heck do those security guards do?

iron_outlaw 2 years, 10 months ago

Wrong. On all accounts. Go to walmart, find me an old security guard and bring him back. Heck find me a security guard that patrols the parking lot at either Lawrence store. Maybe you're referring to the lot patrol at the south Iowa store that hasn't been there in over six years.

James Minor 2 years, 10 months ago

Hmm!!! Ilinois to Arizona, maybe they were going to some type of weirdo village? Were they poligamists? Sex Slave trading? Trading kids for guns? There are alot of nuts in Arizona, lovin their guns, weed, and their right wing constitution!!!!

verity 2 years, 10 months ago

I think this should be a lesson to all of us to watch what is going on around us. Sometimes we might notice something that doesn't seem quite right, but we don't want to look foolish, so we go on and don't do anything.

Better sometimes to look foolish or to be nosey than to let a child or pet be abused or even die.

2bluforu 2 years, 10 months ago

From the woman who made the call -- the children had tied hands and duck tape over their mouth. As a parent and grandparent I find it appalling that we have this type of thing going on in our society. All I can say is give your children/grandchildren an extra hug and be thankful that they are safe. Hold their hands and keep them close, it's so important.

Linda Endicott 2 years, 10 months ago

You should get out more...

There has been so much confusion on what the tape was called that some companies now actually DO sell it as duck tape, and not duct tape...

This whole situation is frightening and sad...

blindrabbit 2 years, 10 months ago

rockchalk1977: Back to your demented fascination of Obama; kinda like the Jerry Sandusky boy worship saga we are learning about!

ivalueamerica 2 years, 10 months ago

you really do not get it.

If he was tazered to excess, he might go free for something like that.

I really love our country, I really hate people who abuse children.

However, I will not abandon the laws and values of our country, dismiss the constitution whenever I hate someone, no matter how vile.

No one has sympathy for the guy being tazed, no one.

The point is that we, as a nation, have a honor bound obligation to protect our nation and protect the constitution, you can not exchange one for the other, or we will not longer be America.

I could honestly care less if the guy had a heart condition and died from being tazed, he is a monster....I care about us not being just like him.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 10 months ago

Excessive force will not get him off of child abuse charges (or possible worse charges if some of these rumors are true).

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. I just question the credentials of one girl who says "one is clearly enough." I highly doubt her opinion of the matter holds much credence, because of her (assumed) lack of experience in criminal apprehension.

tomatogrower 2 years, 10 months ago

This situation could bring in national news, and it's the kind of story Nancy Grace likes. If she comes to town, I say we tazer the guy again.

toe, if these children were really bound and blindfolded, that is abuse. Maybe you think that it's a parent's right to abuse their children, but fortunately we don't live in that kind of society. And I really hope you don't have any children.

James Minor 2 years, 10 months ago

How about we taser Nancy and Greta?? Maybe the taser will change Nancy's high pitch voice and keep Greta from talking out of the side of her mouth. Oh I forgot Greta is a lawyer and talking out the side of the mouth is natural for a lawyer!!!

JackMcKee 2 years, 10 months ago

Falsy "this is Obama's fault. Don't even try to blame W because I already called firsties"

katydee58 2 years, 10 months ago

Our govement is not quilified to raise our children, nor is some of the other people in this world. Children having children, if the parents weren't so scared of there children and would educatate them then there wouldn't be so many children having babies. School your school your children at home parents! Teach them the facts of life and stop leaving it up the the teachers at school it is not there job to raise your children and keep track of who they are hanging out with and TALK to them and found out what they are doing. Parents grow up and take responsibility be Parents not there friend!!!!!

tomatogrower 2 years, 10 months ago

I sure hope you can teach them sex educations better than you would teach them grammar and spelling. I'm sorry, I had to read this several times to get your message.

I'm also not sure what children having children has to do with this arrest. The man looks like an adult to me, and if these children are really his, then it's not like he is inexperienced. Yes, his parents probably should have taught him how not to have children at all, because if the allegations are true, then he should not be a parent. But there are people who are bad parents having children all the time. The joining of egg and sperm doesn't seem care if the the owners of the egg and sperm are good human beings. He and the woman probably even had these children on purpose.

Paul Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Is this deliberate irony?...or are you really that unaware of what you write? I get your points...I think. But goodness...if you want to be taken seriously, you really need to let an adult proofread before you post.

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

The parent should be arrested in a professional manner, that is the safest and I am sure the method the police require. The children deserve protection. I hope the kids are ok. It sounds terrible for them. The suggestions the police should mete out extra punishment as they arrest the parents in response to the children's condition does a real disservice to the police. They have a tough job and do not need to be goaded into the role of fulfilling some of the sadist's fantasies that post on this forum. Thanks to the citizen that called in her suspicions, she might of saved those kids. Good for her. I am glad the arrest went in such a way that the children were put into a protective space. It sounds like the officers gave the teens time to come out of their car on their own.

verity 2 years, 10 months ago

"The suggestions the police should mete out extra punishment as they arrest the parents in response to the children's condition does a real disservice to the police. They have a tough job and do not need to be goaded into the role of fulfilling some of the sadist's fantasies that post on this forum."

This. 100 times. No, at least a thousand times.

costello 2 years, 10 months ago

Boston_Corbett (anonymous) says… bizarre.

Which? The story or the commentary after it?

brokenwing1026 2 years, 10 months ago

I would recommend just checking cjonline's website, or googling the news story if you want more information, including the parent's names, where they are from, info from the landlord, etc.

costello 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, brokenwing. Headed to cjonline. ;-)

costello 2 years, 10 months ago

According to cjonline:

"When the officer attempted to question a man near the vehicle, he resisted contact with the officer, who then attempted to place the man in custody, McKinley said. When the man further resisted by getting in his vehicle, the officer used a Taser to subdue him with the help of other arriving officers."

Also, apparently they were headed to Arizona to visit relatives - not to join a polygamist cult or whatever someone above said.

Most of the comments above seem to reflect the personal biases of the individual posters rather than anything corresponding to reality. I can imagine scenarios where the parents are monsters and scenarios where they're completely innocent (maybe the teenagers tied up the little kids while the parents were away from the vehicle, who knows?) and other scenarios where they just showed incredibly bad judgment.

I can't imagine being broken down in a strange city with five kids and apparently lacking the resources to repair my vehicle and get back on the road - or even to get a motel room. Tempers may have been short and they did something stupid they might not have done otherwise. It doesn't make it right, but it also doesn't make them monsters.

Topple 2 years, 10 months ago

We will have none of your logic here, ma'am/sir! Assume the worst, and act on the assumption! Shoot first, ask questions later! This is the only way to do business, I say...

jonas_opines 2 years, 10 months ago

"Most of the comments above seem to reflect the personal biases of the individual posters rather than anything corresponding to reality."

No way. That's not, nor has ever been, the way we operate on here all of the time with very little exception.

Jim Johnson 2 years, 10 months ago

You see costello what you fail to realize is that most people on here are Liberals and that's just their nature, they can't hep it. It's the normal response from most of them on any matter which they have no clue they always think that way, it seems in some way to make them feel good about themselves because they cared. Kind of like the case in Florida where the man was protecting himself and now, thanks to caring Liberals, he being charged with murder.

Dixie Jones 2 years, 10 months ago

I was in the parking lot when police arrived, the lady that had called 911 was near me and told me what she had seen and called 911 she deserves a huge KUDOS. scary to think what would of happened to these precious lives had she minded her own business. Im sure she had a sleepless night last night. Bless her.

John Hampton 2 years, 10 months ago

Point to ponder:

1. The man attempted to get into his vehicle when the police attempted to arrest him. The police didn't know whether or not the vehicle was operational at the time of the attempted arrest. What procedure, other than tazing, should they have employed at that moment in time to prevent the man from leaving the scene?

2. Had the man been able to leave the scene, with what appeared to be children in extreme distress, and not been apprehended, what could have been some of the possible outcomes? How many of these possible outcomes are positive, given the facts as we know them?

3. Could he have been attempting to take them to vacation bible school or the park?

If the police found my kids tied up and blinded folded in the back of a vehicle, I would hope they would use whatever force was necessary to keep the man attempting to get behind the wheel from fleeing the scene.

Praying and blessing aren't going effect any change in the matter.... fwiw. Now, action... action on the other hand, now there's a possibility that change could be effected with action. The lady that called 911, she acted. The police, they acted. I'm glad the lady didn't go home and pray the kids were going to be ok instead.

Mark Currie 2 years, 10 months ago

In a case of child abuse like this is, and a man resisting, I think he was really lucky to have been shot with a taser. I absolutely HATE child abuse. I think a Glock .40 would've been far more efficient overall for a child abusing SOB.

Flame away.

lawdog 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't think we have enough information to jump to all these 'assumptions', okay the parents were in Walmart and so they left the teenagers in the SUV to watch the younger ones. Well .......... it makes me wonder IF the teenagers bound and gagged the kids??????? I just know how some teenagers can act when parents are gone. If they are anything like my older siblings were to me, I remember once my older sisters tied me up and locked me in the closet when they were suppose to be babysitting me. So who knows right? Did they parents speak English?

As far as the 'tarp', I understand they were living out of the SUV and perhaps they Tarp was going to be used as a make shift sun shelter while they are camped out. The baseball bat could be used for recreation for the kids or perhaps to be used as a weapon. I have a baseball bat and 'DANG IT' I will use it if someone breaks into my home ( I don't own a gun).

By all means, don't get me wrong. I am against child abuse or any human abuse of ANY kind so let's not 'judge'. WE don't know ALL the facts yet.

akt2 2 years, 10 months ago

Between the stinky drinking water, the freaks at Wal-Mart and the Swat Team busting a drug ring, the Kansas City news stations are having an extended visit to Lawrence this week. Fast trip to Lawrence, you have half the news cast for 5p, 6p and 10p.

lawdog 2 years, 10 months ago

The mom and dad could be 'Migrant Farm Workers', is anyone here familiar with farm worker families? You go where there is work available and if it means traveling with your family as well as living in the elements of outdoor weathers.

"I AM JUST SAYING"........ Not everyone can afford a motel.

John Hampton 2 years, 10 months ago

"Just sayin'" has been voted the most passe` closure to commentary over the last decade.

Just sayin'.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

'Smoke a reefer' - Song and dance a clip from: 'International House' (1933), a comedy movie:

Termcd4 2 years, 10 months ago

I have a dear friend who was tazered 6 times by Lawrence Police, and just ONCE would have been sufficiant. He has suffered long term effects as a result. He did NOT deserve the treatment he got from the Lawrence Police. It has affected his life, his health, and more.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 10 months ago

As someone who has never had to take someone in custody, I generally give the benefit of the doubt to the trained officers. In the meantime, I try to live my life in a way that doesn't require the police to tazer me.