Archive for Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Patrols to target aggressive driving

July 11, 2012

Johnson County Sheriff’s officers and other agencies have started extra patrols monitoring aggressive driving on major highways, including Kansas Highway 10.

Master Deputy Tom Erickson said that on Wednesday deputies began looking for drivers engaged in offenses that can be dangerous to others, such as speeding, excessive lane changes, improper passing and tailgating.

He said that aggressive driving is inherently dangerous, especially on heavily traveled roads, and that it can lead to road rage and other physical altercations.

Officers will also strictly enforce drunken driving, and seat belt and helmet laws, Erickson said.

A state grant is providing funding for overtime to have extra officers on special patrols in the next week.

K-10 is a major commuter highway between Lawrence and suburban Kansas City.

Comments

Carol Bowen 1 year, 9 months ago

Looks like a lot of K-10 drivers need an attitude adjustment and clarification on laws regarding driving a motor vehicle. I applaud Johnson County for doing this. And, where is Douglas County?

Katara 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't understand the tailgaters who insist on riding your butt when they can clearly see there is no way you can get over into the next lane to allow them to pass you. Or that the car/truck in front of you is the one causing the issue.

SchwartzOwen 1 year, 9 months ago

as Jimmy responded I'm taken by surprise that a single mom able to make $4081 in 4 weeks on the internet. did you see this page (Click on menu Home more information) http://goo.gl/7efPK

HardwoodGoat 1 year, 9 months ago

I occasionally have projects in kc, I-70 all the way baby! Way less idiots than on that cluster K-10. K-10 IS saturated with idiots, idiots that apparently have never heard of a cushion of space for reaction time, or cruise control. Try it some time, it really works. These are the same people that do 25 mph on Iowa when the speed limit is 40 mph. Bunch of turds farting around Lawrence.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

I like to allow all speeding/tailgating drivers the privilege of being in front of me. You bet way ahead of me.

At 70 mph I will be passing someone perhaps not as quickly as 80 mph drivers would like however allowing speeding drivers the privilege of going ahead is still my priority.

notajayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

"70 MPH and in the left lane is not against the law"

Actually, it is, unless your passing or one of the other exceptions applies (e.g. approaching a left exit).

Aiko 1 year, 9 months ago

A bunch of self-appointed "Barney Fife Deputies" out there! ......Citizens Arrest, Citizens Arrest!

If there is someone behind you and you are in the PASSING LANE move over to the right lane so they/we can continue our trip, please.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

70 MPH and in the left lane is not against the law.....

80 mph and in the left lane is against the law...

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

K-10 will keep them busy for years.

K-10 probably needs 6 new troopers 16 out of 24 hours at least Monday thru Friday.

Early morning drivers can be quite reckless. Speeding,Tailgating and texting/cell phone talk are big issues.

labmonkey 1 year, 9 months ago

I would like to see of a more "head up the a$$ driving campaign" to nail texters and those going slow in the left lane. Usually when someone is going slower than the rest of traffic, they are usually occupied with their phone or texting. Texting should be a DUI offense and I don't know why it is allowed while driving. Also people with a dog in their lap cannot be paying full attention to the road.

Also... why isn't the left lane law enforced?

lionbacker 1 year, 9 months ago

I find it my civic duty to tailgate the hell out of people driving slow in the passing lane, even if the right hand lane is open, I will not pass until the idiot moves over. I guarantee that people driving slow in the passing lane on K-10 cause way more accidents than I do driving 85+ MPH. I am getting ready to put a sign on the left side of my car that says " GET THE F___ OUT OF THE PASSING LANE", just so you idiots understand my message.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 9 months ago

Does the highway patrol still use air planes to catch speeders? I got pulled over once on I-70 after a plane clocked my speed...I pulled over the hill and there were 6 or 7 highway patrol cars in the center of the I-70 waving speeders over to collect their tickets. I got off / lucky because I was driving a government car in my BDUs.

mikekt 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, nobody likes the way that everyone else drives!

uglyrumor 1 year, 9 months ago

Often times the more visible law enforcement is the more dangerous K-10 becomes. People often slam on their brakes when they see the cops or they recklessly get over without looking, and for all of you who are going to say that you have to get over for law enforcement, the law says to slow down OR get over. You don't have to get over.

paulveer 1 year, 9 months ago

Purplesage made a good point about visibility of enforcement. The more visible the police presence, the more compliance. The more stealthy, the less compliance overall, but more "catching" as in revenue. Kind of like when the City of Lawrence invested in the stealth patrol cars. Instilling pride and respect in our local police force apparently was not near of the top of the list of rationals going into that decision.

Andini 1 year, 9 months ago

I guess I won't be shaving, eating breakfast and reading the paper on my K-10 commute next week then...

Gotland 1 year, 9 months ago

People who drive slow in the fast lane and intentionally don’t get over should be put in prison.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

We need to get the East Lawrence Bypass/ I-70 connector rolling.

Antonym 1 year, 9 months ago

They need to patrol K-10 with drone aircraft and bombard offenders with paintballs. Fines based on paint color. Rainbow = Capitol Punishment (I am guessing babyboy would get the rainbow)

notajayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I remember one time years ago when I lived in Missouri, the highway patrol had an "aggressive driving" campaign. I was one of approximately 130 people pulled over and ticketed that morning. Funny thing was there wasn't an "agressive driving" law in Missouri at that time, they were using statutes that didn't quite match up with what they described on the citation. The judge threw out all 130 of them.

ku_tailg8 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not going to do 15 over the speed limit but I'm also not dumb enough to hang out with the folks that are just cruising along doing the speed limit. My goal is to get ahead of the groups of cars and leave them in my rear view mirror. More problems can happen in a pack of cars then someone who is driving too fast. Also, if someone is driving fast, move over, they will be way in front of you before you know it and out of your mind. You are idiots if you just do 70 and hang out in a pack of cars waiting for something bad to happen. Watch Nascar? Big wrecks always happen in the middle of the pack.

BABBOY 1 year, 9 months ago

I can make from Topeka to downtown KC in about 50 minutes (not the edges but actually downtown KCMO). I made from Topeka to Garden City in 4 hours and 10 minutes.

I think they need to enforce the passing lane. That clown above that posted the its the speed limit and you should not go over it to pass should have his face punched in......

consumer1 1 year, 9 months ago

Some of these comments clearly identify the sheeple attitude/lifestyle.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 9 months ago

I wish Olathe Sheriff and the other participating agencies great success in this work. They have my support for conducting operations against aggressive drivers any time day or night.

purplesage 1 year, 9 months ago

Bozo's question is well put. There isn't enough money for any number of things on a long list according to the government - but they have to have special patrols for traffic enforcement. Quit hiding in the weeds, take a high profile on the highway, and there will be an increase compliance. But wait; this probably isn't about compliance. It is about revenue.

Can anyone tell me why the sheriff is patroling state highways anyhow? I thought that was the job of the highway patrol.

consumer1 1 year, 9 months ago

What about the passive agressive drivers? the ones who like to box everyone else in, those folks who will pull up next to someone who is going twenty in a fourty MPH zone and then slow down to twenty? or, Those people who turn left from the far right lane, cutting in front of several oncoming cars to make sure they don't miss their turn at the last possible second. Will stupid drivers also be targeted????

guppypunkhead 1 year, 9 months ago

K10 can be pretty wild- glad they will have more patrols there! But I'll have to warn husband to quit speeding. :)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

Why do they need special patrols for this? Shouldn't they always be looking out for aggressive drivers?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

There is never any excuse for tailgating. It's dangerous and idiotic at any time, and puts at risk not just you and the car you're tailgating, but any cars that might be near you if you cause an accident.

Also, the speed limit is still the speed limit, and the passing lane is still the passing lane. As long as the car in the passing lane is in the act of passing, they have every right to be there. Just because they're only going 72 mph, and you want to go 80 mph, doesn't give you sole right to the lane, or the right to tailgate (which is always a stupid move.)

hipper_than_hip 1 year, 9 months ago

I have more of an issue with people who act as if they're the only one on the road. Cruising in the left lane and tailgating are both very selfish.

rockchalker52 1 year, 9 months ago

Tailgaters! Fine the tailgaters! Horrible, dim-witted people.

patkindle 1 year, 9 months ago

i hope they dont arrest them they just shoot thier tires out

John Spencer 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope they go after the passive-aggresive drivers that park themselves in the passing lane too.

A helmet is required by law to ride a motorcycle in Kansas for riders under age 18.

riverdrifter 1 year, 9 months ago

Good idea. No warnings, stiff fines.