Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, February 9, 2012

Early morning fire displaces residents in northern Lawrence

February 9, 2012, 8:25 a.m. Updated February 9, 2012, 1:28 p.m.

Advertisement

A chimney fire early Thursday damaged a house in northern Lawrence and has displaced two residents there, a Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical spokeswoman said.

Division Chief Eve Tolefree said firefighters were called at 12:23 a.m. to the 3100 block of Longhorn Drive about smoke coming from the chimney, and crews discovered fire in a wall around the fireplace. Crews extinguished the fire and declared it under control at 12:56 a.m.

"There were no injuries of fire department personnel and both occupants evacuated the structure prior to fire department's arrival," Tolefree said. "The American Red Cross is currently assisting the displaced occupants."

Jane Blocher, executive director of the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross, said the Red Cross provided overnight lodging for the residents and their dog.

Investigators determined the fire was an accident due to a breach of the fire through chimney flue and into the interior walls. Damage is estimated at $50,000. According to Douglas County records, the house is valued at $178,500.

It is northwest of Trail Road and Kasold Drive.

Comments

kusp8 2 years, 7 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.