Do fashion magazines still matter? How will they look in the future? Don’t go looking for the answers to those questions in the new documentary “In Vogue: The Editor’s Eye” (8 p.m., HBO), a celebration of Vogue magazine’s 120th anniversary and a showcase of some of its more notable fashion editors from the past decades.
Vogue’s longtime editor Anna Wintour is your host of sorts, introducing the women (and at least one man) who worked with photographers to evoke the sensibility of various designers, capturing or even creating the aesthetic of the particular period. We see the magazine shift from catering to an exclusive, high-society readership to helping usher in the era of the stylish working woman.
• A hit single and a new baby make for conflict as “Mary Mary” (9 p.m., WE) returns for a second season, following the family life and careers of Erica and Tina Campbell, Grammy-winning sisters and gospel music stars.
Tonight’s other highlights
• Jack’s mother (Elaine Stritch) returns on “30 Rock” (7 p.m., NBC).
• Contestants face the music on “The X Factor” (7 p.m., Fox).
• The gang lands on Santa’s naughty list on the Christmas episode of “SpongeBob SquarePants” (7 p.m., Nickelodeon).
• Santa informs for the FBI on the “MAD” (7 p.m., Cartoon Network) holiday special.
• A cab driver becomes the latest “Person of Interest” (8 p.m., CBS).
• Party planning falls to Dwight on “The Office” (8 p.m., NBC).
• Finn ponders his future with the group on “Glee” (8 p.m., Fox).
• An eco-friendly showdown on “Project Runway All Stars” (8 p.m., Lifetime).
• A surprise ruins Ron’s awards ceremony on “Parks and Recreation” (8:30 p.m., NBC).
• An old flame asks Watson for help on “Elementary” (9 p.m., CBS).
• A crisis prompts Olivia to return to the White House on “Scandal” (9 p.m., ABC).
• A virtual obsession on “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” (9 p.m., FX).
• A woman marries into a peculiar brood in the new series “The Family That Slays Together” (9 p.m., Bio).