Archive for Saturday, April 28, 2012

Needless suffering

April 28, 2012

To the editor:

Once again, I have found another of Mr. Burkhead’s letters to be appalling! My father died at home while we tried  to administer morphine. My father suffered for no reason and the family suffered watching him die a slow, agonizing death.

A most common theme throughout the New Testament is feeling and showing compassion. Mr. Burkhead is famous for quoting the Bible, yet still does not seem to comprehend what Jesus was about or the concept of human compassion. Certainly Jesus would have favored helping a suffering dying person end their lives in a dignified fashion. Don’t we take our pets when they are suffering to the vet to have them euthanized and should not humans be treated as fairly?

This is called being humane, Mr. Burkhead. If Jesus came back to Earth today, he would sissy smite you for corrupting his meaning and being so hateful!

Comments

its_just_math 2 years, 12 months ago

I hate to admit it, but I would be much more sad if I had to put one of my pets down than some of my family or friends. Sorry, it's just the way I feel. We can be honest here, can't we?

geekin_topekan 2 years, 12 months ago

If you understood Carl that would mean that you're as confused as Carl. Be grateful that your brain does not comprehend his religious zealotry because the only comparison to his extremism crashed and burned in NYC and took 3000+ innocent people with them. Adding "Christ" in place of "Allah" does not make extremism different, it just gives it another face.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 12 months ago

geekin_topekan 2 years, 12 months ago

I don't think Mr. Burkhead would do anything like "crash and burn in NYC and take 3000+ innocent people with him". ++++ I'm sure many Muslims felt the same about the terrorists at one point.

My argument is simple. it is not the religion or beliefs that are inherently dangerous, it's extremism that kills. Christianity on its own is good; extremists have killed millions in its name, which is bad. Islam, from what I understand of it, is peaceful; extremists have killed millions in its name, which is bad.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 12 months ago

I guess we took bigotry lessons from the right-wing Republican Nazis.

jaywalker 2 years, 12 months ago

Way to jump the shark, geekin'. Gonna have to come up w/ a different tag name for such bile since "Godwin" is already taken.

Jon Jambor 2 years, 12 months ago

First and foremost, Jesus Christ was Jewish. To know "what Jesus would favor" would mean that you look into Jewish law regarding this matter. It's complicated, but the bottom line is that assisted suicide is prohibited under Jewish law; Jesus would NOT have favored it. Please have a read: http://www.jlaw.com/Articles/phys-suicide.html

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 12 months ago

Jesus flew in the face of Jewish law. He said that the "old covenant" with God was no longer valid and he was the "new covenant". It's what got him killed. Saying that Jesus wouldn't do something because it was "against Jewish law" is a pretty pathetic excuse, given that he pretty publicly spurned it.

Jon Jambor 2 years, 12 months ago

OK. Let's assume you are correct and Jesus rejected all Jewish Law. Then please address these inconvenient statements:

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full (John 10:10).

Life belongs to God. It is never our place to take our own life or someone else's life. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own, you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

deec 2 years, 12 months ago

Corinthians is not the words of Jesus. The first quote says nothing about suicide.

verity 2 years, 12 months ago

In my opinion, this whole conversation is pointless as our laws are not supposed to be based on somebody's religious beliefs. Despite what some people would like, or would like to believe, our government is secular.

Our views may be advised/influenced by religious convictions or considerations, but that doesn't make them anymore viable than those advised by other considerations.

Jon Jambor 2 years, 12 months ago

I dare say that this secular push for assisted suicide is clearly influenced by religion. And that religion is "Liberalism". "Liberalism" a religion? From the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary religion is defined as: “a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held with ardor and faith.”

verity 2 years, 12 months ago

I think my viewpoint on this issue would be considered conservative by a true conservative, as in individual freedom---of course, individual freedom is a liberal viewpoint also.

As for your interpretation of "Liberalism," you are completely wrong. Liberal, from the Merriam Webster Dictionary, means "especially not bound by authoritarianism."

Ragingbear 2 years, 12 months ago

We could kill all the Christians now and put them out of their misery of having to live with us sinners. It's ok though, as they are all going to heaven.

Kirk Larson 2 years, 12 months ago

It used to be people died in their homes surrounded by their friends and loved ones. Now they are more likely to die in a hospital done up with tubes and instruments, doped up and surrounded by strangers. I think compassion would dictate that when one has had enough suffering they have some control over their last moments, where it happens, who they are with.

headdoctor 2 years, 12 months ago

More splitting hairs from religious points of view. Burkhead and his ilk are against suicide and assisted suicide but they don't seem to want to address many aspects of hospice. I suppose that they see hospice as a way to fit their religion and maintain dignity. They don't seem to want to consider that many of the hospice patients are essentially committing suicide by self decided neglect. It is not as fast as assisted suicide or as painless but suicide just the same.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 12 months ago

Get your facts straight-It's not Obamacare, its the Affordable Healthcare Act, and we would appreciate it if you would address him as the President and not Obama.

JayhawksandHerd 2 years, 12 months ago

Actually, what the "Flexible Obamacair" (sic) will do is allow me and millions of others who suffer from chronic autoimmune disorders access to coverage we can't get now, thanks to our preexisting conditions. Now, you can preach your "personal responsibility" rhetoric until your heart's content, but I doubt my genes will listen.

What the "Flexible Obamacair" (sic) won't do is force anyone to choose physician-assisted suicide, which is the topic at hand.

tomatogrower 2 years, 12 months ago

You didn't address the issue. Millions of people who were denied insurance before now have insurance. Millions of people who were stuck in a dead end job, because they or a family member had developed a condition that would be considered a preexisting condition if they were to change insurance companies with a new job, now have the freedom to look for another job. People with children in their early 20's can cover their insurance needs until they find a job with benefits. Millions of people who would rather have their fancy truck or their fancy gaming system and get their health care for free will have to pony up the money to buy insurance. No one will get a death sentence, because an insurance company denies them health care, unlike what has happened in the past.
All of this, freedom to find work, forcing freeloaders to be responsible, seems to be what you conservatives preach, yet you are against it. Do you know how hypocritical that sounds?

pace 2 years, 12 months ago

The worship of the gop for doing nothing rather than solving problems is haunting America and will for generations.

pace 2 years, 12 months ago

Oh I should add the teanuts wll go down in history for their worship of the blame game with no game for fixing anything but billionaires up.