Archive for Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Death, suffering

April 25, 2012

To the editor:

The April 15 article about physician assisted suicide sounds attractive except for Christians who believe that the Lord gives and the Lord takes away (Job 1:21). I do not believe that suicide is an unforgivable sin but one where Christians (and non-Christians) are deceived by Satan. Christians, who take their own lives, fail during their time of desperation to remember God’s truth that all things (even the trial they are going through) work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes (Romans 8:28). Even in the darkest times, we can still cry out to God and He will deliver us and we will glorify Him (Psalm 50:15).

Unbelievers should consider crying out to God because their condition; regardless of how bad it is, is much better now than it will be in eternity, separated from God and in hell.  Foxhole prayers are common among soldiers who are in a death situation. Both thieves on the cross with Christ mocked him, but one changed his mind and it changed his eternal destiny. God will never reject someone who sincerely cries out to Him. He will deliver in the way that is best for us.

Lastly, as Christians, we will suffer. It’s part of sharing in Christ’s sufferings. Don’t waste an opportunity to know God’s faithful care during living and dying, and especially, throughout eternity.

Comments

blue73harley 1 year, 11 months ago

People like Carl give me just another reason to distance myself from any type of organiized religion.

There is no need for a terminal patient to suffer for Carl's God. Death with dignity should be a choice.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

Tell your god to butt out of my business. I would, but i don't talk to imaginary entities.

Ragingbear 1 year, 11 months ago

weiser 1 year, 11 months ago

I think we are all in Hell right now, and we just don't know it.

tbaker 1 year, 11 months ago

This reminds me of the abortion argument. I'm pro-choice. I just hope the choice made is for life. That said, all I think anyone can do is "hope" becuase like abortion, the choice to die isn't up to me. I think it is wrong to kill yourself, just like I think it is wrong to ride a motorcycle without a helmut, but I also believe with equal vigor that it is not up to the government to decide whether or not people have that choice. People should have the choice, and we should respect that they do and be glad they have the choice, whether we agree with it or not.

This is not to be confused with unplugging Grandma becuase we're sick of the bills - that is abhorent. If Grandma didn't have a living will that said so, you're stuck with the bills.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 11 months ago

The Flexible Obama is "slow jamming" Obamacare to ameliorate any suffering that he has inflicted on New America.

sweet ass sweet man

its_just_math 1 year, 11 months ago

"Suffering"?

"Suffering" may be Mitt Romney's bestest buddy here in 6 months. Jimmy Carter's "Misery Index" I do believe has been, or nearly been, eclipsed.....regardless of what The Anointed One, his Minister of Propaganda Jay Carney or his devoted media may say to the contrary.

Patricia Davis 1 year, 11 months ago

Carl, Carl, Carl, when will you ever learn that you can believe whatever you want and we, the non believers, have the same choice? I don't try to tell you that religion is what Steven Hawking calls "fairy tales for grownups" and that Christianity has been the root of most evil in the last 2000 years. And you don't get to go around spewing your claptrap dogma without thinking people thinking you are nuts.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 11 months ago

Physician-assisted suicide is one of those deals where the only patients interested in doing it are people suffering from long-term health problems that are incurable, sometimes excruciatingly painful or otherwise debilitating, and they just want to take command of the problem and "go out standing up".

Because people seeking such deaths are carefully screened by physicians, we can assume the condition that prompts the desire is real. We may also assume that the person about to execute the action on himself/herself has given the matter considerable serious thought for a very long time and has reached a private understanding with their God. That private understanding may be doubted and regretted by others not involved, but still it should be respected.

Indeed, given the controlled conditions surrounding physician-assisted suicide some relevant religious questions need to be asked:

Is the physician-assisted suicide method of entering Heaven any less honorable than was Christ's method (who provoked His own death by defying Rome, knowing well in advance that He would be killed for refusing to renounce His beliefs)? Clearly the circumstances are different, but with faith won't the destination be identical?

somedude20 1 year, 11 months ago

" I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...."

Believe what you want but keep it in your head don't push it down other's throats. Look at the stats, less and less believe that child's tale you call the bible and in my lifetime, there will be an atheist or agnostic in the White House.

jonas_opines 1 year, 11 months ago

"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away" sounds a little bid odd, all in all, when its largely the medical sciences of man (and not God) that enables, and sometimes forces, these terminally ill patients to live far beyond the span that their diseases (God's will?) would have them live on their own.

Those medical science advancements are from God, you say? His gift to mankind? Fair enough. But then, if we're to take that tack, so is the science that ends someone's painful existence. If we're given them by God's gift, then its still our own choice how, and when, to use them.

deec 1 year, 11 months ago

You don't believe in suicide? Then don't kill yourself. Your mythology has nothing to do with how other people choose to live or die, however. If you choose to think that your deity wants you to suffer, then go for it. Agonize away. But don't force others to suffer.

JayhawksandHerd 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm curious, how is existing - I certainly wouldn't term it "living" - through months of agonizing pain that often results from terminal illness or descending ever deeper into a state of dementia part of "His purposes?" If God does indeed pick and choose those who are diagnosed with terrible diseases as part of his "plan" for those individuals, then I'm not sure that's a God I want to follow.

The point Mr. Burkhead is trying to make eludes me as well. Is this letter about God's love, or fear of hell? I suspect the latter, and I don't see how the two are compatible, anyway.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 11 months ago

I "cry out" to government people like The Flexible Obama. Do you know government people know what's best for the rest of us.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 11 months ago

I have cried out to God in my darkest times and nothing changed. I have not lost my faith in God, but telling a non- believer to pray to God when they are physically suffering a life ending illness will not bring them physical well being. If praying helps others feel better while suffering that's great but don't dictate others choices of how they want to die.

Bruce Springsteen 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, being mocked is a sure sign that you are righteous. Really, we should all just start crying out to Burkhead, since we hear from him much more than we hear from God, and he seems better at explaining the whole demented Christian system anyway. Couldn't be clearer. "And let he who is without understanding heed the Head of the Burk, through whom all things are made known, who shineth the light of his torch into the darkness of the Word, wherein all manner of vileness is revealed." (Pharisees 2:45)

cato_the_elder 1 year, 11 months ago

Professor Burkhead, thank you for once more submitting a thoughtful, courageous letter reminding us of God's love for all. You will be mocked on this forum, just as Christ was, but your faith will stand as a beacon to all who have the good sense to listen.