Archive for Friday, April 27, 2012

Two people injured in 23rd Street accident

April 27, 2012, 11:32 a.m. Updated April 27, 2012, 2:23 p.m.

Two people were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital Friday morning after an accident near 23rd Street and Ousdahl Road.

Sgt. Ted Bordman, a Lawrence police patrol supervisor, said at 11:20 a.m. a 68-year-old man was driving a white Nissan Maxima east on 23rd Street and for an unknown reason his vehicle drifted left of the center line and side-swiped a westbound Ford Focus, driven by a 42-year-old woman. The force of the crash caused the man’s car to strike a utility pole north of the street. The woman’s vehicle also ended up north of the street.

Bordman said the woman was taken to LMH because she had leg and neck pain, and the man was taken to LMH for observation. Officers were still investigating what caused the man to drive left of the center line.

Police did block westbound traffic on 23rd Street at Naismith Drive as firefighters helped extricate the woman from her car.

Comments

topcatz3 1 year, 11 months ago

Maybe it was a medical condition that caused the driver to be driving left of center. I hope everyone is going to be okay.

topcatz3 1 year, 11 months ago

blindrabbit 1 year, 11 months ago

areUnormal: Agree completely about some elderly drivers, and as a 1940 vintage I feel I can say that without being age discriminatory. But I will probably be ripped for my next, I purposefully watch for elderly blue/white haired women driving large sedans! Seems to me that this group has a high preponderance for inattentive, oblivious drivers herding their cars rather than driving!

Jim Phillips 1 year, 11 months ago

It's not just the elderly. Since I came to town in 1977, the collective driving skills/attentiveness and driver courtesy here has diminished extensively.

Stuart Evans 1 year, 11 months ago

"for unknown reasons"? I have witnessed several elderly people this week, who were completely oblivious to the traffic around them. We either need more comprehensive, or more frequent driving tests for the aged.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 11 months ago

My thoughts also Oonly, intersection had nothing to comtribute to this problem,

ashford 1 year, 11 months ago

23rd Street and Ousdahl Road intersection has a history of having accidents; an answer needs to be provided fagainst the cause.