Opinion

Opinion

Tea party could boil over

September 29, 2011

This country is in a world of hurt if the likes of Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry wins the next election. It might be in greater trouble if Barack Obama does.

I can take no credit — or blame — for that analysis. It originated with one of my colleagues, a veteran political reporter, and he shared it one day not long ago as we were chatting in the office. It troubles me for one simple reason: It makes sense.

So here is how his thinking goes. The genteel, pragmatic Republicanism of the past has been supplanted by a pitchforks-and-torches mentality, a funhouse mirror distortion of traditional conservatism. Meaning, of course, the tea party.

These are folks who don’t just support the death penalty; they cheer for executions. They don’t just oppose health care reform, they shout “Let him die” to the uninsured individual who faces life-threatening illness. They are the true believers: virulently anti-government, anti-Muslim, anti-gay, anti-science, anti-tax, anti-facts and, most of all, anti-the coming demographic changes represented by a dark-skinned president with an African name. They are the people who want “their” country back.

The old guard of the GOP doesn’t much like them, but it likes winning so it keeps its mouth shut.

You might think Obama’s re-election would solve this, offering as it would stark repudiation of the politics of panic, paranoia and reactionary extremism this ideology represents. The problem is, these folks thrive on repudiation, on a free-floating conviction that they have been done wrong, cheated and mistreated by the tides of history and progress, change and demography. So there is every reason to believe, particularly given the weakness of the economy, that being repudiated in next year’s election would only make them redouble their intensity, confirming them as it would in their own victimhood.

And ask yourself: What form could that redoubling take? How do you up the ante from this? What is the logical next step after two years of screaming, rocks through windows, threats against legislators and rhetoric that could start a fire?

An awful, obvious answer suggests itself. You reject it instinctively. This is, after all, America, not some unstable fledgling democracy.

Then you realize it was not so long ago that a man blew up a federal building in Oklahoma City out of anti-government sentiment not so different from that espoused by the tea party. And you remember how that tragedy exposed an entire network of armed anti-government zealots gathering in the woods. And you read where the Southern Poverty Law Center says the number of radical anti-government groups spiked to 824 in 2010, a 61 percent increase over just the previous year.

And you wonder.

This is not a prediction, only a speculation — and a suggestion that those of us who have regarded the craziness of recent years as an aberration, a temporary temper tantrum from people who feel threatened and dislocated, may have been entirely too sanguine. In less than 20 years, the locus of radical anti-government extremism has moved from remote woods to Capitol Hill.

How should the rest of us respond? That’s a question we urgently need to answer. They say they’ve come to take “their” country back.

Maybe it’s time we took them at their word.

— Leonard Pitts Jr. is a columnist for the Miami Herald. His email is lpitts@miamiherald.com.

Comments

atiopatioo 2 years, 6 months ago

Why doesn't Pitts write about these people?

They riot like the Tea party. They are boiling over. Does Pitts not write about them because they want a totalitarian government with someone that looks like himself as President?

George Lippencott 2 years, 6 months ago

Bea said

Check the numbers for yourself: http://www.taxfoundation.org/publicat...

We are paying less now. Facts George, Facts! (Geez)"

Yes, I do think we need to raise taxes and cut spending to get out of our present situation. Not sure why you are re-asking about my view on those at the lower end. I'll repeat it. I think everyone who can

1. Wrong Bea. That is my source. When you take income back do you deflat it. $100K today is like $75 K in 1980. makies a big difference as to where you enter the tables. I have already posted taxrate by 10 year increments and it show you are wrong in your general; statement.

Besides the real issue is effective tax rate because it at least takes deductions into account. They have changed along with the rates and using the tables does not acknowledge that.

Who decides who can pay more?? Tha halkf thta pays no federal income tax surely will want the half that does to pay more.

The only think factual about your comment is that revenue last year was lower than revenue in 2007. So was income.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

liberty..you are proof that americans know nothing of their history except for what george will and ken burns tell them....I only play the race card against racists...

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

you know, liberty, you deny history...most conservatives do...they have to...if they deal with history from the get go...they have no arguement...so instead of having no arguement you treat the people who've been the victims of your wonderful patriotism like they're the problem....cowards deny...you deny that the consequensces of history have led to the present....you have a one sided view if history that leds people like me to refute that...you think that since this is kansas you will have no opposition.. problem is people like me are here to take the wheels off of your apple cart of half truths and reaganisms.....you can't handle it so you flip stuff on it's head... me a racist....really....I saw the klan as a kid in Ocean Springs, MS in 1978... funny they were old white guys with horned rimmed glasses that sound like a lot of you on here.....me...not like them at all except maybe to denialists who don't have a leg to stand on.....you have no legs huh.....you and your ilk lay claim to this land with your doctrine of discovery bull from Johnson V. McIntosh ruling of 1823 and your Marshall Cherokee case rulings of the 1830's which defined states and tribes as sovereign to govern yet dependant on the US Government for protection....Commerce Clause says US Congress has plenary powers over states and tribes and knowing this means that the health insurance law is a legal goverment action as states are dependant sovereigns of the US Government except when states are overran by denialistic legally ignorant people thinking they're still fighting the US Civil War 146 years after they lost it....oops I let the cat out of the bag.....hot air everywhere...am radio fox, kmbz, klwn, wibw.....we don't have to really know what the law is.....an angry uneducated mob of people will do sufficiently.....not talking about the tea party... nooooooooo, not the tea party.....

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

What's up with Van Jones, former BFF of the Mope, calling for revolution this fall? Is he about to boil over?

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

George, I am not focusing just on Republicans. I am using Republican administration policies as a counter to the current situation. I am also saying the same of Obama when it comes to spending and the debt. For instance, if we were taxed in a manner that covered what we spend on wars -- under Republicans or Democrates -- we likely would be less apt to get into wars in the first place. Anything I am saying about Republicans on this issue is to counter the nonsense coming from those calling Obama a "European style socialist" because he is "waging war on the wealthy," is engaged in "class warfare" etc.... (paraphrasing easily found comments on this site). If people are saying this of Obama, why aren't they saying it about past Republican administrations? Why is Obama a Socialist for wanting to bring the top tax rate back to 39% when it was 50% under Reagan, yet we aren't calling Reagan a Socialist? Get it?

As far as what I am saying about taxes, it is pretty simple -- we really are paying lower income taxes now than we have in the past. Also, our debt is out of control. Both are pretty straight-forward statements. Make of them what you will.

Now, don't think that just because I say something about one person or group that it must mean I feel the opposite of another person or group. Unless I actually make such a statement like "I don't hold Obama to the same standard," don't make that assumption. It gets tiresome always explaining this point. In other words, just because I don't say "I'm against poking strangers in the eye" in every post, please don't assume I'm for poking strangers in the eye. I've told you on multiple occassions that I'm not a party over country type and I don't think Obama hung the moon. He has disappointed me on several occassions. (He has also made me glad he is in office on several occassions.) Further, I'm disappointed that the Republicans have yet to show me something that comes close to a better option. If they did, I would gladly vote for him/her. Have I at least finally made this point clear?

George Lippencott 2 years, 6 months ago

And Bea says

Also, taxes are lower now than under any president in the past 100 years. Sadly, we can't say the same about spending. I would be thrilled if we slashed government spending, including massive cuts to military spending. "

Moderate responds

I can not substantiate that from any responsible forum. Exactly what do you mean.

And Bea says: Sacrifice isn't just about serving in a branch of the military. Sacrifice also means paying for the wars being fought, even if it means rationing goods and paying higher taxes.

Moderate Responds: We are Bea - all of them a little at a time. We are still paying for WWII in VA care. I have repeatedly reminded you that debt is how we have paid for all. Why are you focused on Republicans not paying for wars they most certainly are paying for - just not all at once. How did we pay for Vietnam, Bea??

Yes Bea I become disagreable when I find posts that are inaccurate. In your case, I hold you to a higher stabndard as I believe that, unlike many on here, you have a brain and use it.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

are you trying to use tos as a way to silence others for acting and saying things the way you and your ilk do....that's not very courageous of you....as a Democrat I have a right to claim the fighting tone of Harry Truman because back in the late 1940's he was fighting the same kind of anti-intellectual narrow minded people that I fight now....if you want to silence others for what you think is bullying why don't you silence yourself first....without name calling of Obama and decades old recycled reagan nonsense....what do you have....that's what I thought...nothing...

George Lippencott 2 years, 6 months ago

Bea Said

Oh, and "traditional Americans" also believe that we should have to sacrifice a little if we go to war. Sorry your party doesn't believe this to be true. "

Huh?? It is odd that somebody who has not served is making issues about sacrifice. When has someone sacrificed enough? Leg, arm, marriage, mental health, other...?? The only war still on the table is Mr. Obama’s war in Afghanistan. Where was his call for sacrifice from the rest of us? Right now it appears he wants those who fought it to "sacrifice" a bit more by paying more for their promised family health care.

Oh by the way Bea, the IRS web site shows that federal tax revenues were growing through 2007 and were higher than at most times in our past. So exactly what is you point about taxes??

By the by, I do not remember Mr. Johnson calling for sacrifice when he took us into Vietnam big time. There were those who got to sacrifice by going there and there were those who burnt ROTC buildings as they avoided going. I recall we had “Guns and Butter” – the great society sucked up quite a bit of resources.

I bet we are still paying for that war as it was mostly financed with debt as have been most of our significant wars since WWI.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

exactly...your intelligence on full display and why do people take your postions seriously???

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

when confronted with being owned change the subject and malign the person doing the owning......like John Lovitz said....that's the ticket.....

observant 2 years, 6 months ago

Amazing the sheer ignorance of baggers posting on forum today.

atiopatioo 2 years, 6 months ago

I heard Obama assassinated an American today in Yemen. Is this murder of an American without a trial a result of the Tea Party boiling over?

gl0ck0wn3r 2 years, 6 months ago

I enjoyed some really nice goat cheese on French made toast rounds and a sparkling lemonade.

its_just_math 2 years, 6 months ago

1913 and 1928 posts proving my point.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

man, dumb has never sounded dumber and louder, rush, american, math both ways excedera.....facts don't agree with you so make up your own.....I would guess that all of you are archie bunkers aka caucasian middle aged men who've always been able to bully your way to being right without facts... sorry reality doesn't jive with you so go back to Mayberry where there aren't any minorities on your tv show and recreate your mythological family values lives....

its_just_math 2 years, 6 months ago

In a nutshell, the utter failure of our current European Socialist Wannabe in Chief has his former supporters, well, being former supporters. This has them in upheaval. The fact is, Obama is/was peddled as a member of the intelligentsia--a progressive reformer who would take us light years from that swaggering idiot from Texas. Obama was not vetted and has not one iota of busines being president. This has now proven to be flushed out as a matter of record. Now that there is another swaggering idiot from Texas that has entered into the fray and further agitating the frothy left, the vitriole is beyond off the charts. The left has nothing left but attack, attack, attack. Attack for being stupid. Attack for being extremist. Attack for being fat. Attack for being a member of certain religion. Attack for being a non-politico. Why is the left so in a state of confusion? Why does the left say they want principled government looking out for the people but fall as easy prey to a smooth tongue and empty rhetoric?

God bless.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Has the current regime whizzed away more hundreds of millions of our tax dollars to prop up companies tied to large donors to the Democratic party or with executives related to Democratic members of Congress today?

tbaker 2 years, 6 months ago

So the Tea Party is a "funhouse mirror distortion of traditional conservatism." Really? What does that make status quo politics in the capitol? Some species of "normal" we should all be thankful for?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Maybe since Biden has admitted that the current administration now owns its failures regarding the economy, things will start getting better.

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 6 months ago

"Don't you think the American public is seeing how Republicans are responding to their own candidates and that independent voters will agree that those who are running really aren't all that interesting?

Independents have pretty much deserted Obama and he knows it. That's why he has reverted to back to his ideological roots which, in truth, he never gave up. He just attempted to project a centrist image while pursuing his far left goals. Exactly as I stated in these forums just after the '10 elections. We are seeing the real Obama now and America knows who he is. Conservatives want a strong leader to fill the leadership void that has been very evident from January 2009. The Republicans will prevail in '12 regardless of which Republican candidate wins the nomination. Success is not always predicated on sensationalism or illusions of grandeur. Good leadership often involves pragmatic, steady-as-you-go, common sense. This President has no record of accomplishment to run on and certainly neither he nor his ill-conceived administration have demonstrated any common sense.

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 6 months ago

"Hey BAA, what exactly is a "traditional American"?"

I can tell you what traditonal America is not. It is not throwing good money after bad by proposing stimulus II when stimulus I failed to accomplish any verfiable results and only served to push us deeper into debt and prolong the economic crisis. It is not an unconsitutional health care system crammed down our throats by an ideologically-based administration despite polls that indicated 70% of the American citizens did not favor such a plan. Both of these programs did much to contribute to the US credit down grade. Taditional Americans do not approve of an administration that would sue a state for attempting to protect itself from the destruction caused mass migration of illegal immigrants who refuse to respect our immigration laws while the federal government refuses to afford US citizens protection. Traditional Americans do not approve of a President who circumvents Congress and grants administrative amnesty to illegals to pander to the Latino vote. Traditional America does not approve of Solyndra, LightSquared and other instances of cronyism and porkulus. They are tired of far left, secular, liberal whackos who mock others for any public display of patriotism or religious beliefs which is really what you wanted me to say isn't it? It just happens to be true and you can mock me all you want. Traditional America and traditional American values are under attack by Atheists and far left socialist demagogues who would destroy the very cultural values which they know have made this country strong. Just what do you believe in Bea?

"Taxes have never been lower than under President Obama."

Do you really think they would be lower if it weren't for the T-Party representatives in Congress and the Nov '10 elections? What is your Dear Leader saying now as he panders to his base and wants to be re-elected? We simply cannot tolerate 4 more years of this insanity. Raising taxes is not the thing to do during these fragile economic times. Obama said this himself in 2009. Why is he now wanting to raise taxes all of a sudden? Oh yeah, I forgot elections are once again coming up and the Panderer-in-Chief has no other support other than the far left radicals who deserted him when he made half-hearted, head feints to the center.

George Lippencott 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey Bea

Squarely on both sides of the issue. We are paying the lowest taxes ever (really – go look way back and remember to deflate the incomes).

Please remember that the richest have seen the majority of that reduction – the middle by comparison has been had. Of course we have the 30 to 50% who pay nothing toward the operation of the federal government.

In general we are paying less because we make less. Some people are benefiting from last years payroll tax reduction - not all. For most the deduction is so small as to be lost in the latest utility increase to implement “green” policies.

The ”lord” taketh and the “lord” giveth away.

beatrice 2 years, 6 months ago

"Traditional Americans"?

Hey BAA, what exactly is a "traditional American"? I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by that phrase, but an explanation should be entertaining.

Oh, and your socialism mantra is completely incorrect. Taxes have never been lower than under President Obama. The desire to allow the temporary tax cuts (a delay on paying for services already provided) to a top tax rate that is far, far below what it was under Reagan hardly makes Obama a socialist. That is just plain silliness to continue to repeat that incorrect statement.

By the way, what exactly is going on with your party? Why aren't the Republicans happy with those running?

The Republicans are seeming a little desparate in their cries for first Perry to enter, and now for Christie to jump in now that they realize Perry isn't all that. Why is the grass always greener with your party? Don't you think the American public is seeing how Republicans are responding to their own candidates and that independent voters will agree that those who are running really aren't all that interesting? Why don't Republicans like their candidates, and why should anyone else?

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 6 months ago

The radical, far left can kick all of the dead horses they want, but the fact remains that the wealth re-distribution policies of this administration have not worked. B-Ho has had 3 years and things have not gotten any better for anyone. Traditional Americans are seeing that this President's "hope and change" mantra really meant the transition of the United States into something resembling European Socialism which seems to be failing (witness the current economic struggles of the European Union). It appears that this President will campaign for re-election using tactics of class warfare and pandering to interest groups which will only serve to perpetuate and intensify the divisiveness and polarization which have reached new highs under this administration. This is clearly not the kind of leadership this country needs to lead us out of our economic difficulties. Divisiveness and polarization are always signs of weak leadership. After head feints and half hearted attempts to move to the center, Obama is reverting back to the ideology and campaign rhetoric which resulted in a political disaster at the polls for the Democrats in November '10. Why does he think it will be any different in the Nov '12 election? Americans have issued a re-sounding rejection of his ideology already. It's time to finish the job in '12 and get back to the traditional values and policies that made the United States of America the greatest nation in the history of the world.

rwwilly 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't particularly endorse the Tea Party, but, come on, give them some credit. Yes, they want meaningful border security. Most Americcans do. Tea Partyers also wanted controlled immigration rather than the border free for all we have now with 12-14 million undocumented aliens. I believe, again, most Americans believe the same. Tea partyers also want less governement intrusion into their daily lives and most importantly an end to the spiraling, out of control spending by our goverment. Again, so does almost everyone I talk to regardless of party affiliation. I have yet to meet anyone who is wishing for a party platform that calls for more spending.Tea Partyers want was no increase in taxes because it is counter productive to increase taxes BEFORE agreeing on spending limits otherwise you are simply feeding the addict.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

hey snap no clue....do you remember Iran Contra, Ollie North??? oh that's right it's okay if republicans do it right???

its_just_math 2 years, 6 months ago

Me yesterday:

" What're they gonna do if Chris Christie did jump in? Will they call him "fat"? "

"Whether or not he lets himself be persuaded to run for president, Chris Christie needs to find some way to lose weight.

That's OK, noone needs to recognize me as a visionary.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

The ATF has been selling firearms directly to the Mexican drug cartels. That sort of makes any Tea Party mischief pale in comparison.

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

you know what's funny kspillboy......I've traveled through much of southeast Kansas and Oklahoma and I see lots of caucasian people in rural areas that I've studied on the net with them having statistics showing these counties to be very poor, very supported by srs dollars and very white. I remember a graph showing the wealthiest counties in kansas and a number of the rural ones were between 85th and 106th in wealth meaning they were near the bottom in wealth and mostly white. Srs , farm subsidies you name it...and yet this area is probably tea party country blaming minorities and yet looking away from themselves in the mirror holding on to the old welfare stereotype perpetuated by the reagan era liers whose baloney is peddled at gop debates to this day to people brainwashed enough to believe the lies... you right?

Gandalf 2 years, 6 months ago

Did you know that when tea boils over and burns, it smells like pot?

Mike Ford 2 years, 6 months ago

I spoke to a dear academic colleague who's back in Germany who spoke of the way scapegoats are created by cowards who can't face the circumstances created by others. Being from Germany she spoke of what she knew about her country seventy years ago. I told her about the Brownshirt movement afoot here in Kansas and she laughed. I told her it was as if Europe kicked out it's most religiously superticious and backwards people to emigrate to America...she laughed and agreed. Isn't it a shame when others in the world think that America is full of wife beater shirt wearing archie bunkers and yet the archie bunkers are too oblivious and intelligence deficient to care and boast proudly and publically about their shortcomings...oh well.....be stupid as you want to be....the rest of the world is watching...

voevoda 2 years, 6 months ago

The Nazis were a grassroots movement, too. They attracted followers by bashing the legally-elected government, blaming it unfairly for the country's economic woes, identifying internal "enemies" and demonizing them, and promising big business a free hand and endless opportunities. We all know what the Nazi movement led to. Is the Tea Party like the Nazis? I don't know yet. But I do understand why Leonard Pitts is worried.

ljwhirled 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Pitts. If Obama wins the tea party will get even more extreme.

Let me see, JFK, RFK, King, Malcolm X, Truman, Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Theodore Rex........all progressives who were targeted for assassination.

One the conservative side... Reagan, Wallace.

Seems progressives get shot more often than conservatives.

Haven't seen any progressives blowing up Federal buildings lately.

I think this is something to worry about. The Civil War happened just 150 years ago.

On the other hand, who in their right mind would shoot someone over a 3% increase in the marginal tax rate. Seriously. Grow up.

George Lippencott 2 years, 6 months ago

This article borders on hysteria. The “strawman” linking certain elements identified with the Tea Party movement to terrorism is quite frankly despicable.

ksrush 2 years, 6 months ago

This is a Pitts atricle, what do you expect chicken littles. Pitts makes a " living " pimping his brand of hysteria to anyone that buys into it

mrchips 2 years, 6 months ago

gurgle, schlop, GAG....hufff, puff...GAG. Stamp....gurgle. ...ULFFFF....GAG. Gasp!

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

"How should the rest of us respond?"

How about... voting?

donttreadonme 2 years, 6 months ago

"tomatogrower (anonymous) replies… A grass roots party is not funded by billionaires."

If you're talking about the various Tea Party groups, they have been heavily funded by the Koch brothers. Much to my disappointment, no one in the GOP is representing the working man.

The only exceptions are Ron Paul and Gary Johnson, but if you look at the coverage, I don't think the FoxNews machine wants either of them to win.

heygary 2 years, 6 months ago

Disappointing Mr. Pitts. You talk in polarizing superlatives in an attempt to trash a grass roots party which vigoriously and peacefully assembles to defend their freedoms, their principles and the capitalist system they view as being reasponsible for this great country. We are all aware of how the African American community "mobilizes" when natural disaster or manmade crisis even slightly diminishes the full force of the law. Perhaps it is on that group you should focus.

Additionally, I suspect those few, loud boo's heard at the last republican debate may well have been liberal plants, as it was inevitable that the dont' ask, don't tell question come up!

Timothy Eugene 2 years, 6 months ago

Pitts......the epitome of a Racist and a Bigot.....

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 6 months ago

Michelle has her bedroom slippers off.

Dear American Taxpayer

For only the second time in my adult life, I am not ashamed of my country. I want to thank the hard working American people for paying $242 thousand dollars for my vacation in Spain.

My daughter Sasha, several long-time family friends, my personal staff and various guests had a wonderful time.

Honestly, you just haven't lived until you have stayed in a $2,500.00 per night private 3-story villa at a 5-Star luxury hotel.

Thank you also for the use of Air Force Two and the 70 Secret Service personnel who tagged along to be sure we were safe and cared for at all times. By the way, if you happen to be visiting the Costa del Sol, I highly recommend the Buenaventura Plaza restaurant in Marbella; great lobster with rice and oysters! I'm ashamed to admit the lobsters we ate in Martha's Vineyard were not quite as tasty, but what can you do if you're not in Europe, you have to just grin and bear it?

Air Force Two (which costs $11,351 per hour to operate according to Government Accounting Office reports) only used 47,500 gallons of jet fuel for this trip and carbon emissions were a mere 1,031 tons of CO2. These are only rough estimates, but they are close. That's quite a carbon footprint as my good friend Al Gore would say, so we must ask the American citizens to drive smaller, more fuel efficient cars and drive less too, so we can lessen our combined carbon footprint.

I know times are hard and millions of you are struggling to put food on the table and trying to make ends meet. So I do appreciate your sacrifices and do hope you find work soon.

I was really exhausted after Barack took our family on a luxury vacation in Maine a few weeks ago. I just had to get away for a few days.

Cordially,

Michelle Obama

P.S. Thank you as well for the $2 BILLION dollar trip to India from which we just returned!

P.SS. Thank you, too, for that vacation trip to Martha's Vineyard; it was fabulous.

And thanks for that second smaller jet that took our dog Bo to Martha's Vineyard so we and the children could have him with us while we were away from the White House for eleven days. After all, we couldn't take him on Air Force One because he might pee on some wires or something.

P.SSS. Oh, I almost forgot to say thanks also for our two-week trip to Hawaii at Christmas. That 7,000 square foot house was great! P.SSSs don't forget my ski trip to Vail this winter and now the girls and I are in Africa with my mom. All this while Barack golf’s and campaigns to keep my trips coming for the next 4 years !

Love ya!

Remember, we all have to share the pain of these economic times equally! Love to -redistribute- share- the wealth.

75x55 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey Lenny - how about advocating what that NC pol was talking about - how about 'suspending elections' until everyone simmers down?

I think that's about the only way he could top the hysteria of this ridiculous cage liner.

"Suspending elections" - now there is something that every sane citizen should go pick up arms about.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 6 months ago

Tea Party is boiling over. Their attempts to destroy scientific liberal perestroika research cannot be allowed. Science must prevail.

Liberal 2 years, 6 months ago

I love a good joke...Thanks Leonard!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 6 months ago

Lenny, you done good! You forgot, however, the Palinist crowd. She is teasing the tea baggers with her "availability". After all, seeing Russia from her front porch is a great issue for the right wing nut crowd. But you better watch it or Governer Hair will be mentioning you in his next debate, since he seems to have run out of steam and fuel. For that may the Lord make us eternally thankfyul!

jonas_opines 2 years, 6 months ago

"What's really puzzling is that those like Pitts and his crowd truly feel we're seeing real progress now. That is hard to get your head around--by any stretch of the imagination"

That is because it largely exists only inside of your head. While the intractable ones will continue to believe (much like the ones that continue to believe the Last president was a good one), most of the rest have realized that very little has changed or progressed in the slightest.

its_just_math 2 years, 6 months ago

What's really puzzling is that those like Pitts and his crowd truly feel we're seeing real progress now. That is hard to get your head around--by any stretch of the imagination. So, I'm empathetic to how Pitts and those feel about the Tea Party. Both sides see the other as incredulous.

grammaddy 2 years, 6 months ago

When I tried to share this on facebook, the story about the fire in N. Lawrence comes up.Wazzup with that?

vuduchyld 2 years, 6 months ago

Keep your tea away from me You've been drinkin, I can see I think I'll have a glass of lemonade Your slash and burn democracy Is not good public policy That tea is causing your intelligence to fade

(watch the music video here!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmSh2qRHDnc

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 6 months ago

Atta' boy Leonard. Chime right in there with the only strategy available to the left. Trashing and bashing of the right will be unprecedented during the next 13 months leading up to the election. The policies of the Obama administration have been dismal failures and Obama apparently wants to be a divider as witnessed by his shameless pandering to various special interest groups. Look for more "civility" from the Looney Left. Class warfare, charges of racism and just plain hateful rhetoric by the Left will be their SOP. They have nothing else.

its_just_math 2 years, 6 months ago

.....rocks through windows, threats against legislators and rhetoric that could start a fire?"

Why is he bringing up last winter's debacle with the Wisconsin union mobs?

Anyway, you most definitely jumped the shark with this one, Mr. Pitts. Good grief.

In other news (relating to Republican bashing which in full-tilt mode) Richard Cohen of the Washington Post and other leftist commentators are already calling Perry "dumb" and the like. What're they gonna do if Chris Christie did jump in? Will they call him "fat"?

Noooo, certainly not the politically correct and tolerant left.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 6 months ago

"...a suggestion that those of us who have regarded the craziness of recent years as an aberration, a temporary temper tantrum from people who feel threatened and dislocated...."

Gee, Leonard, you've finally, even if by accident, described succinctly how Barack Obama, a man utterly unqualified to hold the office of the presidency, got elected in 2008.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

What would be going on now in the MSM if a Republican governor had mentioned suspending Congressional elections for a couple of years in the same fashion a Democratic governor did earlier this week?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

What if the moon turns into butter and falls on our pancakes? Alarmists are going to be working overtime until November 2012 to keep the base fired up.

mloburgio 2 years, 6 months ago

What If the Tea Party Wins? They Have a Plan for the Constitution, and It Isn’t Pretty

In the Tea Party’s America, families must mortgage their home to pay for their mother’s end-of-life care. Higher education is a luxury reserved almost exclusively to the very rich. Rotten meat ships to supermarkets nationwide without a national agency to inspect it. Fathers compete with their adolescent children for sub-minimum wage jobs. And our national leaders are utterly powerless to do a thing.

At least, that’s what would happen if the Tea Party succeeds in its effort to reimagine the Constitution as an antigovernment manifesto. While the House of Representatives pushes Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-WI) plan to phase out Medicare, numerous members of Congress, a least one Supreme Court justice, and the governor of America’s second-largest state now proudly declare that most of the progress of the last century violates the Constitution. http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/09/tea_party_constitution.html