A house on the 1300 block of Tennessee caught fire early Sunday morning, displacing, but not injuring, all 10 of the residents.
Andrew Adford, who stayed at the house Saturday night, was awake about 6 a.m. when he noticed a couch on the front porch was on fire.
"I woke up everyone up on the bottom floor, checked it again and the entire deck was on fire," said Adford, a sophomore at Kansas University.
Adford rushed upstairs to alert the second- and third-floor residents, who exited the house through a fire escape in the back. By this time, Adford said the fire started to spread.
Adford's hands were blackened from the smoke, and the Los Angeles native received oxygen treatment when emergency responders arrived.
By the time firefighters arrived about 6:30 a.m., the front of the house was fully engulfed with flames emitting from the roof, said Chief Mark Bradford of Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical.
An hour later, the fire was contained, and residents stood outside drinking bottled water as they watched smoke pour from the attic of the charred house. Bradford said all of the residents would need to be relocated.
The residents didn't have any relocation plans, but said KU would offer them assistance. The fire not only took their home, but most of their belongings as well.
"If the fire didn't get them, the water did for sure," Adford said.
Jane Blocher, Douglas County Red Cross, said KU's Office for Student Success will replace some of those belongings, including books, laptops and school supplies. She said KU began the program in 2005 after the Boardwalk Apartment fires, when many KU students were affected by the disaster.
In the meantime, the Red Cross provided the residents food and clothing. Blocher said all residents have found temporary housing.