Archive for Monday, November 7, 2011

Kansas loses bowl carrot

Kansas head coach Turner Gill bemoans a missed field goal during the second quarter on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011 at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa.

November 7, 2011

That harsh reality made KU’s seventh straight loss a little tougher to handle.

“Obviously, that was our big goal for the year,” sophomore quarterback Jordan Webb said of receiving a bowl bid. “But we have a chance to ultimately win November. We’re gonna come out and just take it one game at a time. That’s all you can do at this point in the season. Not all is lost.”

For the first time in weeks, the Jayhawks were within striking distance late in the fourth quarter and actually had a chance to put together a drive to win. They came up short, but KU coach Turner Gill said he sensed an extra dose of excitement on the sideline in final few minutes.

“I think guys were in tune throughout the football game,” Gill said. “I think that’s what happens when you have a close game throughout. But I think our guys have always stayed in tune. They’ve always competed even though the score may have been one way or the other. And they kept on believing that we were gonna get the job done.”

Junior co-captain Toben Opurum said he didn’t notice much difference in the way he and his teammates competed just because the game was close.

“We could be down by three points or we could be down by 20 points, and I’m gonna give the same effort that I give regardless of the score,” Opurum said. “And I think that speaks for the rest of the team.”

Even as the losses began to pile up and the season began to head south, the Jayhawks pointed to their overall goals still being attainable and continued to push forward with a positive attitude. Now that one goal — a bowl berth — must be struck from the list, it will be interesting to see how the team responds with three games to play. Gill said he expected the same kind of effort.

“I guess time will tell,” he said. “We’ve got three games left to try to finish strong and finish things on a positive note.”

Running game returns

Led by a career-high 70 yards from freshman Darrian Miller, the KU running game delivered its best performance in five games. KU’s 174 yards rushing were the most since the opening game of Big 12 play, when the Jayhawks ran for 249 yards in a 45-34 loss to Texas Tech.

“I’m definitely happy we got back into our groove,” Miller said. “The backs were making plays and all of us were feeding off of each other. It’s put us in a good direction for the following weeks to keep on running hard.”

Miller received six more carries than sophomore starter James Sims, who lost a fumble midway through the loss.

“We’ve talked about trying to get a few more touches for Darrian Miller,” Gill said. “James has been a very good back. I wouldn’t say he’s a fumbler. It’s unfortunate that happened. But he’s a good football player, and he’s still gonna be a major factor in the rest of our football season.”

Gill said Miller’s ability to run in traffic was what inspired the coaching staff to find more carries for him.

“Both of them have been productive,” Gill said. “But Miller may have been a little more productive as far as contact made on him. He’s actually made the most yards after contact. But they’re both gonna continue to be used.”

Comments

ltljim64 2 years, 5 months ago

WOW.... and I thought the season was closer to over... &%&%*&!

OonlyBonly 2 years, 5 months ago

Ya know? I'm kinda getting tired of hearing "believe."

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

Someone saw a carrot? What? Must have been a hallucination.

Lloyd Kinnison 2 years, 5 months ago

Surely Turner Gill does not think his coaching will bring the Jayhawks to bowl status! He does not coach players as they leave the field, or his other staff. Please resign Turner Gill.

I3Fishy27 2 years, 5 months ago

Some may feel like KU is just having an off season, but I feel like something is the cause of KU not playing like a division one school. I have heard many opinions saying that it is coach Turner Gill’s coaching and solely that, but I feel like the players are part responsible for their seven game loss streak against mostly non-ranked teams. When you watch the KU defense, there are some plays where they will just leave a receiver wide open. On offence, Kansas will run the same play over and over until they are resulted to fourth down and long. On the other hand, I feel like Coach Gill needs to teach his players more of how to play the game. Kansas cornerbacks many times don’t turn to find the ball when it is thrown, and can’t block or intercept the ball because of this. Gill needs to teach these players how to do this.

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

To paraphrase coach Jim Mora:

Bowl games! You are talking about bowl games? Are you serious ... bowl games? Don't talk to me about bowl games! Bowl games?!

wwwd 2 years, 5 months ago

"Saturday’s 13-10 loss to Iowa State made it impossible for the Kansas University football team to become bowl-eligible this season by earning at least six victories." Actually, hiring Turner Gill did that.

Jayhawk1963 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry but one would have had to be delusional to have thought that this team had ANY chance at a bowl, even after the first two games (wins) !!!

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

Who will win first, the Colts (NFL) or Hawks? Heck, I think either of the two highschools could beat dem Hawk(ers)

TomJoad23 2 years, 5 months ago

Seriously, KU Fans, Stop complaining about Gill, you are the same lot that threw Mangino under the bus because you bought into Lew Perkins BS. How about you all suffer your punishment of a losing season, for being in support of firing your good coach, and then complaining about the new one 2 years into his contract. I mean do any of you, knows what it takes to build a successful football team...it takes a lot longer than 2 years. The only reason we have a football team is so people show up, drink, and spend their money across town. And get rid of Jordan Webb, never has there ever been a more cocky POS quarterback on the field.

mae 2 years, 5 months ago

The football schollies could easily be taken out of a coach contract if he is such a failure. It's not fair to the players, but it is fair to the school, boosters and fans. Make gill pay for what he did.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 5 months ago

We don't have much time Gill. So you think we will be good by what time? 2015?

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 5 months ago

Three things never change-Death, Taxes, and Gill going to a bowl game.

newmedia 2 years, 5 months ago

No one cares anymore. Move on....

mae 2 years, 5 months ago

Honestly? Who in their right mind would've ever thought this team would get a bowl?

Ceee 2 years, 5 months ago

Kansas loses bowl carrot. Snow falls in the mountains. Tuesday follows Monday.

Tell me something I can't figure out for myself.

pigballin 2 years, 5 months ago