Archive for Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One person killed in rollover accident on U.S. Highway 59, south of Pleasant Grove Hill

One person was killed in a single-vehicle rollover accident on U.S. Highway 59, near N. 700 Road, south of Pleasant Grove Hill. The accident happened shortly before 6 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to emergency dispatchers. Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical units on the scene reported the vehicle had left the roadway and suffered major damage.

May 18, 2011, 6:09 a.m. Updated May 18, 2011, 9:44 p.m.

N 700 Road Accident

A 37-year-old Ottawa man, Terry Star, was killed Wednesday in a single-vehicle rollover accident on U.S. Highway 59 near North 700 Road, about six miles south of Lawrence.

The accident happened shortly before 6 a.m. Wednesday, according to emergency dispatchers. Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical units on the scene reported the vehicle had left the highway and suffered major damage.

Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies and Kansas Highway Patrol troopers were investigating the accident.

A report from the highway patrol Wednesday evening said Star’s vehicle had struck an embankment and appeared to have been airborne and overturned at least once before coming to a stop. The report states Star had been wearing his seat belt.

The stretch of two-lane highway is slated to expand to four lanes as part of a major Kansas Department of Transportation road project between Lawrence and Ottawa. The Douglas County portion is not scheduled to be complete until some time in 2012.

Kimberly Qualls, a KDOT spokeswoman, said Wednesday morning that the area where the crash occurred is not currently an active construction zone. But the speed limit is 55 mph along that stretch of the highway, as it is through the entire project.

Comments

Randall Barnes 3 years, 10 months ago

John Hamm 3 years, 10 months ago

It's always the road , isn't it? It's never "driver error" or "vehicle failure."

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

The point is, OoBo, the new road will prove much more forgiving to driver error. Right now, you or some else messes up on 59, you're endangered in a split second.

engagedecoy 3 years, 10 months ago

windjammer 3 years, 10 months ago

I heard the very same comment about old 10 and new 10.

John Hamm 3 years, 10 months ago

I've driven 59 many, many times. It's not any worse than any other highway. Now let's get this straight. I'm sorry for the accident, definitely feel for the person who lost their life and their family but I'm sick and tired of hearing, "Highway's unsafe" every time there's an accident. 10's unsafe, 59's unsafe, 56's unsafe. Cut me a break

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

There isn't even a snowball's chance in July that the new road will be more dangerous. Just look at all the crossings that will be safely mitigated like North 1000 & North 600. Crossovers happen, but I'd rather take my chances with an extra two lanes than what's there right now.

Bursting 3 years, 10 months ago

Jack, dude maybe you havn't driven on 59 lately? How on earth could a narrow highway with small shoulders and heavy traffic be safe?

Also, K10, if you look at the median in a lot of places it's sloped like a ditch. No wonder why so many crossovers happen, because if you go in the median you have a hard time getting back up it into the road.

windjammer 3 years, 10 months ago

As i said before remember 10hwy before and after.

Aileen Dingus 3 years, 10 months ago

And, according to the map, it's a road in China. ??

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 10 months ago

Sorry about that, Aileen. We dropped a minus sign when inputting the longitude. But it should be fixed now.

jesse499 3 years, 10 months ago

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 10 months ago

I read something a while back that was rather interesting. It had to do with the relative perceived risk of different roads. The writer's opinion was that on roadways that seem more dangerous, the actual risk of an accident is lower because the drivers are aware of that and pay more attention.

And on roads that seem safe they don't pay as much attention, and it ends up that the accident rates on roads that look so terribly safe are actually higher.

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

That does seem rather interesting. I would submit that the volume of traffic & the design of old 59 hyway are good enough reasons for the current replacement project.

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes, there should be zero mess ups, engage. Prolly not gonna happen, so let's do what we can to make the roads safer.

JRipp, with your astounding leaps in reasoning, you're probably gonna go where you want with or without driving a car.

jesse499 3 years, 10 months ago

My GOD your not saying driver ed. in school like we had!!!!That won't work someone could learn how to drive and obey the laws.

jesse499 3 years, 10 months ago

What I had in school in the 60's was real drivers ed not anything you would know anything about not the crap they came up with later . We drove in all kinds of conditions and not just parellel parking don't judge something you don't know anuything about !!

jesse499 3 years, 10 months ago

jesse499 3 years, 10 months ago

How abouit and A fuel Dragster if you know what that is i've been driving one for 40 yrs and winning so I think I can handel you skidpad and slalom without messing my pants And I don't think the idea of not driving is a problem.If it comes to that big deal .I just love to talk to people who have all the answers about everything thats all.see yea

sulliedotcom 3 years, 10 months ago

Then move to a different country and stop complaining on an online newspaper forum.

Machala04 3 years, 10 months ago

I have nothing to say about the driving or the road... I am just very sorry to the family and friends involved in this tragedy.

angelsunwall 3 years, 10 months ago

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you, angel, but the odds are getting worse on the current 59. I've been driving the road for 40plus years, have lived within 500 yards of it for the last 15 years & it's a scary sumb*%ch. Too many lifeflights intruding on my nights & weekends.

Too much traffic for a 2-lane hyway. I'm anxiously awating completion of the new one.

Kontum1972 3 years, 10 months ago

slshogrin 3 years, 10 months ago

I would have to agree with all that accidents are caused by the person behind the wheel in almost all cases. There is a very small percentage of accidents caused by animals or vehicle failure. With that being said, 59 should have been redone years ago. There are no shoulders (unless you call those deep ditches shoulders), it's winds around and has blind hills. You have people that impatient behind slow traffic and try to pass in places they shouldn't. If you aren't paying attention and get just a little off the pavement, 59 won't forgive you and something like this will happen.

Kent Fisher 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree Shawn. By the way, I often pass your vehicle in the morning as I drive to work in Garnett. (Kent F.)

Kent Fisher 3 years, 10 months ago

Sorry Sheldon. I wondered about that after I posted it.

Kontum1972 3 years, 10 months ago

it is not just that hiway..its all over the state....no one cares.....the majority of drivers on the roads dont give a damn.....

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

I know we been jabbin' at each other, JRipp, but I'm with you on this one. I haven't seen much that was offensive, especially that particular comment.

angelsunwall 3 years, 10 months ago

I was wondering that myself............................

wmathews 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm right here, and I'm removing comments that speculate or place blame on who or what caused this accident. Especially comments that joke about fatality accidents and insult the person who died.

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

wmathews 3 years, 10 months ago

I believe you're referring to comments on this story, which were moderated. One comment suggesting the person may have been drinking was removed. I don't see much leniency there. In fact, the moderation on that story was stricter than this story: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/feb...

For future reference, Jonathan's last name is spelled Kealing and mine is Whitney (in case you'd like to call me something other than "woman moderator.")

angelsunwall 3 years, 10 months ago

I in no terms was speculation or trying to place blame for this accident! I was just in general bringing up my opinion that many accidents not just on 59 but all over and on many different roads could be greatly reduced by everyone of us who is behind the wheel being a good offensive and defensive driver. We have too many distractions whether it is cell phones, radios, kids, animals that run out, pot holes, other drivers that drive crazy and heck even the sun! I feel nothing but horror for the person in this story and in no way would ever attempt to place blame with the information given in this article.

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you for your vigilance, Whitney M. Tragedies deserve cautionary moderating. I do get the sense, though, that posters are mostly passionate about this issue with little disrespect intended.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 10 months ago

If you don't like the moderator's judgement, you are perfectly free to set up your own website.

This site is privately owned.

KansasPerson 3 years, 10 months ago

My heart goes out to the family of this person.

A family member of mine once nodded off during a long nighttime drive (not saying that's what happened here; just what happened to family member) and flipped into a ditch. If it were not for the fact that there was someone else driving on the road at the time who saw her car and called 911, I don't know if help would have reached her on time. Anyone can come to grief on any kind of a road, under any conditions. Again, I have a lot of sympathy for the loved ones and will keep them in my prayers.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 10 months ago

I fell asleep while driving in the daytime once. I was lucky, the rumble strip woke me up.

I drove drunk a few times. I was lucky, I didn't hurt anyone, and I didn't get caught.

I drove carelessly many times. I wasn't so lucky and crashed once, but I wasn't hurt to badly.

And once, I drove a motorcycle into a ditch. I almost faint when I think about how lucky I was that day.

We've all made mistakes. Unfortunately, we weren't all lucky.

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

rjmcarr 3 years, 10 months ago

the family will be in my thoughts and prayers

greenworld 3 years, 10 months ago

Single vehicle accident....I hope texting was not involved.

voigtlorenzo 3 years, 10 months ago

Makes you wonder. I've seen people up and down K10 all the time texting and driving going 70+ MPH. Does it seem worth that text to risk the lives of others or yourself. (Not saying that this is what this particular situation is, just in general.)

jlzack 3 years, 10 months ago

I drive 59 hwy to work everyday & like you voigtlorenzo, I see people texting ALL the time. I also see this in Lawrence, way too often, & people driving through red lights while doing so..... it's hard to feel safe on any street/highway with this happening.

slshogrin 3 years, 10 months ago

Maybe the government should step in and impose devices on vehicles and communication devices (cell phones) that don't allow the device to be used or receive texts or calls while the vehicle is in motion, and won't allow the vehicle to go into motion while the user is still engaged in talking on the phone or data usage...(except GPS). Lord knows the government wastes taxpayer money on lesser issues....

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Somebody's pontification dial is stuck at 11.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the person in this accident. I hope that through time you are able to find peace.

dsharkie8 3 years, 10 months ago

@Dejacrew423.... I totally am with you.
At 6:00 in the morning, a deer might have run out in front of them, maybe the driver fell asleep, maybe a tire blew or there was something in the road. Maybe they went off the road and over compensated in pulling back on the highway. There are numerous things that could happen to make a car roll. Most of you act like there is no possibly of it being just what it was, an accident. By the way, the feasibility study for making this road a 4-lane was done back in the '50's.

blindrabbit 3 years, 10 months ago

Kansas needs to implement "shock and awe" as part of the drivers license program; as a start make a requirement that viewing "Signal 30" be incorporated! Nothing else seems to make sense!

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

I drive that stretch of road quite a bit. Its awful--no shoulders. A moment of inattention and .you could end up in the ditch and consequently roll your vehicle. Although none of us are sure what happened in this specific accident, frequently persons involved in rollovers are ejected from their vehicle, and usually sustain fatal or seriously debilitating injuries. That's why its always important to wear your seat belt.

And its probably a pretty good idea to lock your door. That deceases the likelihood of the door flying open during the roll.

An accident like this can happen to any of us. We're all human, and make mistakes. Those who comment on the obvious--that the accident was probably caused by human error--are, IMHO, a little bit less human than the rest of us.

I mean, what are those commentators inferring? That if they had been behind the wheel, they would still be alive because there would have not been a mishap.

The number of perfect human beings out there amazes me.

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

Have they released the name of the driver yet?

candi_land23 3 years, 10 months ago

You people are awful.......Terry was a very kind..... kind peaceful man...Love the Lord and loved his three children.........Who care if it was the road, the driver, or an animal he is still someone we lost and tragically and his family needs to grieve without debt on the internet over his death.

Trouble 3 years, 9 months ago

Thank you Candi, Terry was a very good person and his kids were his whole world. Terry will be missed and his family will be in my prayers!!!